HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XXI)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter White View Post
We are definitely in good position for 2013-14. The lower the cap the better for us, maybe we can cherry pick from one of those teams up against it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/
I'd love to see us grab Havlat for cheap. Throw someone like Tedenby and Urbom/Gelinas their way.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter White View Post
We are definitely in good position for 2013-14. The lower the cap the better for us, maybe we can cherry pick from one of those teams up against it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/
You know Tampa Bay will buy out Lecavalier. If we could get Vinny for a decent price it will help soften the blow if Zajac decides to go somewhere else. Lecavalier would look great on this team centering Kovy.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
the Sharks can't afford to trade havlat.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

I don't think we could afford Havlat with a $60 million cap anyway unless at least one of Patty, Zajac, or Clarkson does not re sign. Unless he's given an amnesty buyout, and we sign him. Trade at that salary though I don't think so.

I still think they'll settle around $63-$65 million for next year's cap ceiling.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:09 PM
KohoDonuts88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
the Sharks can't afford to trade havlat.
With a 60M cap, someone has to go from SJ either via trade or buyout. Depends if you believe Havlat is the 29-goal 77-point player from CHI '09 or the 20-goal 60-point player most of the rest of his career suggests he is. Add in the health questions, I suspect he'd be near the top of the list to go.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

We just make bad trading partners with San Jose. Don't see them buying him out either.
They'll trade him for some future pieces that are better than what we can offer.

Give me a time machine, though, and I'll find a way to extort him out of Ottawa.

Or... just re-do the '99 draft. Blech.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I'd love to see us grab Havlat for cheap. Throw someone like Tedenby and Urbom/Gelinas their way.
It would take more than that. Tedenby doesn't have a lot of value and it's pretty much only our fans who have heard of Urbom or Gelinas and consider them to have serious NHL potential.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It would take more than that. Tedenby doesn't have a lot of value and it's pretty much only our fans who have heard of Urbom or Gelinas and consider them to have serious NHL potential.
They'd have no leverage.

The only other player they can reasonably dump other than him would be Dan Boyle, even that won't get them under the cap comfortably.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Yes I'm bent on getting Vinny L on this team! Only if Zajac leaves, but we could still use him regardless especially if Lou is gonna go sign LOLmez.

I watched the 5 minute major in game 6 of the SCF again not long ago. We almost made it out of there down just 2-0 too, and had a good forecheck going shorthanded. Zajac put a soft shot on Quick, and he covered. Zajac lost a faceoff that led directly to the 3rd goal. And he's the best guy on the team by far at faceoffs, but we didn't have anyone else to really take crucial ones. That was one of the reasons the PK was so poor in the playoffs. Our poor faceoff percentage finally caught up to us. Henrique is so so, Patty is horrible, Zubrus is better than Patty at them, but that don't say much. Yayo is real good, but hasn't been matched against top lines much yet or on first PK units.

With how poor our faceoff percentage was last season it was huge to get 102 points. We were 29th in the league, and the only playoff teams aside from us in the bottom 10 were Nashville, and Philadelphia.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yes I'm bent on getting Vinny L on this team! Only if Zajac leaves, but we could still use him regardless especially if Lou is gonna go sign LOLmez.

I watched the 5 minute major in game 6 of the SCF again not long ago. We almost made it out of there down just 2-0 too, and had a good forecheck going shorthanded. Zajac put a soft shot on Quick, and he covered. Zajac lost a faceoff that led directly to the 3rd goal. And he's the best guy on the team by far at faceoffs, but we didn't have anyone else to really take crucial ones. That was one of the reasons the PK was so poor in the playoffs. Our poor faceoff percentage finally caught up to us. Henrique is so so, Patty is horrible, Zubrus is better than Patty at them, but that don't say much. Yayo is real good, but hasn't been matched against top lines much yet or on first PK units.

With how poor our faceoff percentage was last season it was huge to get 102 points. We were 29th in the league, and the only playoff teams aside from us in the bottom 10 were Nashville, and Philadelphia.
I doubt Lightning buy out Lecavalier. Sure, he's overpaid but as of right now, it's not like he's hemming them down cap wise like Redden is. He's still a valuable player, just overpaid, similarly to our Volchenkov.

If they were up against the cap, then yeah, but right now they aren't even close and he's one of their veteran guys.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
I doubt Lightning buy out Lecavalier. Sure, he's overpaid but as of right now, it's not like he's hemming them down cap wise like Redden is. He's still a valuable player, just overpaid, similarly to our Volchenkov.

If they were up against the cap, then yeah, but right now they aren't even close and he's one of their veteran guys.
I can see them buying him out if they use their buyout though. It's been talked about for a while. He's on a terrible contract, but he's still a number 1 center. If Zajac leaves I would be cool with him filling that slot for a couple years. I just really like Vinny though. I'm sure a lot of teams aside from cap floor teams will use the buyout though.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
They'd have no leverage.

The only other player they can reasonably dump other than him would be Dan Boyle, even that won't get them under the cap comfortably.
They have leverage. If they shop those guys, they will get interest from other teams, guaranteed.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:01 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Oh, they'd definitely get interest but they wouldn't get an 100% return

Old
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Just send us Lecavalier. If Zajac walks he would be a fine replacement, but likely not for long. Anyone who disagrees with me tell me who you'd rather see? I'd hope we have something better than Josefson/Henrique/Elias as our top 9 centers. Especially with Patty not having many years left, Josefson could be a fine 2nd line center, but he really hasn't been able to prove it at the NHL level due to unfortunate injuries.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:13 AM
apice3*

I would not give up assets to acquire Lecavalier's contract. I'd rather pay Zajac the 7.7 per that Lecavalier makes, honestly. No one would match it in free agency, I don't think.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I would not give up assets to acquire Lecavalier's contract.
Neither would I. Or better yet I would not want Vinny's current contract on our books. I'm talking if TB uses their amnesty buyout on him. Yeah the way I worded it though with the ''Just send us'' part did sound like trade for him.

By the way is it possible for a team to buy out a player, but re sign them when this goes down? I know it was against the rules previously.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:19 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Neither would I. Or better yet I would not want Vinny's current contract on our books. I'm talking if TB uses their amnesty buyout on him. Yeah the way I worded it though with the ''Just send us'' part did sound like trade for him.

By the way is it possible for a team to buy out a player, but re sign them when this goes down? I know it was against the rules previously.
I believe the team has to wait one calendar year to even obtain the player, including trades. I'm not sure how amnesty works though, I would imagine the same rules would apply.

This happened one or two years ago when someone speculated that Yashin could play for the Islanders again. He would effectively count against their cap twice, if he signed.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I believe the team has to wait one calendar year to even obtain the player, including trades. I'm not sure how amnesty works though, I would imagine the same rules would apply.

This happened one or two years ago when someone speculated that Yashin could play for the Islanders again. He would effectively count against their cap twice, if he signed.
I think Vinny blows Travis out of the water. Though after 2-3 years he may not. I still wanna keep Travis as I'm tired of losing our homegrown players, and we need one of the best faceoff guys in the league in Zajac, because our team is really bad at them.

We were supposed to trade for Vinny back in like 01/02 before Arnott was dealt to Dallas. It was pretty legit, because he, and Torts were having problems and did not get along in the beginning. Eventually obviously they got along fine, and won a Cup 2 years later together. Wonder if Lou would be interested if he came for cheap?

And yeah someone joked we would take back Colin White, and I said ''Dude you wanna have White's buyout hit, and regular cap hit?''.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Tom Gulitti ‏
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Adam Henrique (detached ligament in left thumb) got cast off his hand this week and will begin therapy.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

Lecavalier is horrible at faceoffs, if i remember correctly (edit: nevermind, he just bad last season. around 50-53 most season).

Devils need to get better/smarter at faceoffs (stopping Clarkson from taking draws on the PP would be a start), but it's not a team killer.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
I think Vinny blows Travis out of the water. Though after 2-3 years he may not. I still wanna keep Travis as I'm tired of losing our homegrown players, and we need one of the best faceoff guys in the league in Zajac, because our team is really bad at them.

We were supposed to trade for Vinny back in like 01/02 before Arnott was dealt to Dallas. It was pretty legit, because he, and Torts were having problems and did not get along in the beginning. Eventually obviously they got along fine, and won a Cup 2 years later together. Wonder if Lou would be interested if he came for cheap?

And yeah someone joked we would take back Colin White, and I said ''Dude you wanna have White's buyout hit, and regular cap hit?''.
Lecavalier is offensively superior, but Zajac dominates the all-around game in a way Lecavalier does not.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Vinny L is not going anywhere. Huge pipe dream.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Lecavalier is horrible at faceoffs, if i remember correctly (edit: nevermind, he just bad last season. around 50-53 most season).

Devils need to get better/smarter at faceoffs (stopping Clarkson from taking draws on the PP would be a start), but it's not a team killer.
You're right Last year he was 47.3 percent. Yeah though most seasons he's better, and I agree with the faceoffs. No more Clarkson on faceoffs. And I love Patty, but just everywhere but the faceoff circle. He's horrible in the faceoff circle. Why they insist he keeps taking them I don't know. Him losing faceoffs led to quite a few PP goals against during the playoffs. That was one of the problems with our PK. Our crummy faceoff skill finally caught up to us. How many times did we lose a key faceoff on the PK right before giving up a PP goal during the playoffs?

Old
01-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Lecavalier is offensively superior, but Zajac dominates the all-around game in a way Lecavalier does not.
Zajac is the better two way guy, but Lecavalier could be a good option here for at least a couple years if Travis decides to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Vinny L is not going anywhere. Huge pipe dream.
I wouldn't be so sure. He's on a BAD contract right now with like a $7.7 million cap hit for the next 7 years. I don't think it ends until 2020. He's not nearly a PPG player which is really bad at that salary. I think he'd be the leading candidate down here on who they would use an amnesty buyout on.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:33 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
And I love Patty, but just everywhere but the faceoff circle.
Easily solved by letting him go back to wing.
Good chance he won't be able to until Henrique comes back (but who knows how fluid player movement is going to be around the league once they get a deal signed...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Tom Gulitti ‏
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Adam Henrique (detached ligament in left thumb) got cast off his hand this week and will begin therapy.
Apparently it's going to be another 3 1/2 - 4 weeks for rehab.
So if we get a season, we're going to have to play a couple of weeks without him, definitely.

Closed Thread