HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XXI)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

vCash: 500
Just watched the first period of Game 6 ECF...I never actually watched that game on TV because I was there. What an atmosphere in that one, damn! That first period was electric.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
lol I forgot Oates was MacLean's hire.

He is going to have a tough time in Washington just with how fractured that locker room has been DURING the lockout between Hamrlik/Varlamov's 'anti-union' comments and Brouwer going back at them. I didn't realize he was coaching in the AHL, so he's a scab coach?
Yeah he was coaching in the AHL or co coaching or something. I don't think co meant assistant either. The scorecards even had him listed at head coach. I just couldn't stand the guy. Remember how we lost about 4 or 5 games due to shorthanded goals against before the situation was fixed for good? We were giving them up every 2.5 games for about a two month stretch.

I just think he's gonna stink up the joint as head coach. I don't care what anybody says, but from what I've seen he will definitely be our least missed out of everyone who we lost last year. Well maybe aside from Boulton.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:45 AM
apice3*

I loved Oates as a player. I think he was snubbed from the HOF for far too long before finally getting in.

I hated him as an assistant coach and I don't think he's going to last long as a head coach. I especially can't see him handling Washington's situation particularly well.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:33 AM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I loved Oates as a player. I think he was snubbed from the HOF for far too long before finally getting in.

I hated him as an assistant coach and I don't think he's going to last long as a head coach. I especially can't see him handling Washington's situation particularly well.
I feel the same way too. Loved him as a player, but didn't like him as coach for us. Didn't hate him, but could definitely have done without. Regular season BS aside I blame him for not making some adjustments to the PP during the SCF.

I don't blame him for not being able to teach faceoffs. Most players learn faceoffs before they enter the NHL. Though I guess you could blame him for questionable decisions like Clarkson taking faceoffs on the PP which has been talked about a lot.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I think Oates will be ok as long as he is quick to gain the respect of Ovechkin.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:50 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I usually don't make predictions for other teams, but here's a bold prediction. Adam Oates flops as a head coach, and quite possibly the Caps miss the playoffs his first year there. I was talking with another Caps fan about Oates who was coaching their Hershey Bears AHL team for a little while just now, and how they sucked. He said something about fans at the Bears game chanting for him to be fired. He went as far as to say he thought Oates would be fired before he coaches an NHL game. I don't see that happening, but I don't think he'll last long. He's not coaching material. He may not be Gretzky/Maclean bad, but I don't see him going far.

Oates has since stopped coaching with their AHL team. Not sure why.
if bruce had a little more faith in his offensive system, and didnt try to make that defensive change, they'd have made the finals by now. im convinced. maybe a little better goaltending wouldve helped as well

Old
01-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Who Am I?

1. I am the longest tenured Devil to not have played with Scott Stevens (doesn't mean he's played the most games just the most Devils seasons without playing with Stevens).
2. I was not a Devils draft pick.
3. I played for six NHL teams
4. I hold three scoring records for my collegiate team.
5. I was a sixth round pick.
6. I am a retired player.

Another Bonus one.

1. I played for two NHL teams.
2. I am a Clarkson alumni.
3. I was not drafted by the Devils, instead by my first NHL team.
4. I was traded once.
5. My brother plays for the ECAC.
I would never have gotten #2 without looking up a list of Clarkson alumni.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I think Oates will be ok as long as he is quick to gain the respect of Ovechkin.
I can easily see them finishing in 9th or 10th place. Can you? Having seasons like Calgary's had in the 3 years Sutter was there. Don't forget Carolina won't be a pushover anymore so they aren't gonna take the division without a fight. Especially if Florida continues to do good. Not saying they'll be a lottery team or as bad as we were under Maclean.

I just don't think he's a good coach. I can't say he was when he was with the Devils. He sucked particularly at certain points. Didn't make any adjustments in the SCF to the PP unit, Clarkson taking PP faceoffs, nevermind the 2 months we were giving up shorties every 2 or 3 games. It wasn't Kovy's fault every time either. It was happening sometimes when he wasn't even on the ice.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Marty and Anthony skating together in Newark

http://instagram.com/p/UEzB2OwKVV/

Old
01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Marty and Anthony skating together in Newark

http://instagram.com/p/UEzB2OwKVV/
Anthony's upper body equipment is much bigger than Dads.

Marty's leg pads also look bigger than last year which is interesting since it was talked about a lot on here that his play improved drastically after switching to bigger pads. They seem to have grown a few inches, but maybe it's the picture. They don't appear as wide as Anthony's.

The NHLPA sweaters make me wanna throw up a little. Yeah I know I know it's the practice jerseys.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
ConnNJ30

that's awesome.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

Quote:

Marty's leg pads also look bigger than last year which is interesting since it was talked about a lot on here that his play improved drastically after switching to bigger pads. They seem to have grown a few inches, but maybe it's the picture. They don't appear as wide as Anthony's.

The NHLPA sweaters make me wanna throw up a little. Yeah I know I know it's the practice jerseys.
Anthony is wearing his Dad's equipment, his is at Shattucks.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Anthony is wearing his Dad's equipment, his is at Shattucks.
His kinda look a little wider to me. It's probably the angling, and stuff. And these old eyes. They look like the same pad only Anthony's got ones maybe an inch or two wider.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He even got to witness a similar situation firsthand with Deboer and Kovalchuk. Ovechkin is a guy you have to trust, even through the slumps. Just because he's not scoring doesn't mean he shouldn't be the guy on the ice when you need a goal with 5 minutes left. Deboer's trust in Kovy payed off despite the early struggles, and I think we might see a similar situation with Oates in Washington.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

Quote:
His kinda look a little wider to me. It's probably the angling, and stuff. And these old eyes. They look like the same pad only Anthony's got ones maybe an inch or two wider.
I think Marty could of been trying different configurations hence why the pads anthony is wearing are scuffed up and Marty's are fairly new. Maybe breaking in a new set.

It's sad that the lockout gives us THIS to debate about

Old
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
He even got to witness a similar situation firsthand with Deboer and Kovalchuk. Ovechkin is a guy you have to trust, even through the slumps. Just because he's not scoring doesn't mean he shouldn't be the guy on the ice when you need a goal with 5 minutes left. Deboer's trust in Kovy payed off despite the early struggles, and I think we might see a similar situation with Oates in Washington.
Thing is Kovy's play never fell off for two straight seasons as badly as Ovechkin's has. Ovechkin looks like he's lost some of his passion, while even in Kovy's dark days he seemed willing enough to learn 'the Devil way'.

It's odd that the one guy everyone assumed would turn into Yashin because of the contract elevated his game while the other one who everyone thought was virtuous seems to have changed after HIS big contract.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
I think Marty could of been trying different configurations hence why the pads anthony is wearing are scuffed up and Marty's are fairly new. Maybe breaking in a new set.

It's sad that the lockout gives us THIS to debate about
Yes I agree. Talking about Marty, and his sons pads!

#Lockoutproblems!

As far as Kovy goes yeah his play only slipped for that first half year, and everyone on the team sucked anyway. No fundamental defense, Marty couldn't make many big saves, Hedberg was even worse, Langs never even showed up at all that season, Patty was inconsistent, Zach sucked before he was injured, everyone, but Tedenby, and Vasyunov were doing bad! Even Corrente looked good then!

It also didn't help Kovy that he got along with Maclean as well as Patrick Roy got along with Mario Tremblay. Not sure if Ovechkin killed Boudreau. Pierre, and Marc Crawford told me Semin did!

Old
01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Patty was inconsistent
Patty was the only guy aside from Arnott that gave consistent offense and it got Patty in the ASG

Old
01-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Patty was the only guy aside from Arnott that gave consistent offense and it got Patty in the ASG
Yeah he, and Arnott were pretty good. I take that back. They weren't racking up points, but they were actually trying, and even Lemaire said ''Patrik is playing better than he did last year. Everyone else has lost their confidence'' in his first post game presser back I think it was.

Parise also had the highest PPG average on the team for a LONG time even though he only played a month. Despite Kovy's monster run in the second half it was Patty who led the team in points. Kovy got 11 more goals though, but Patty had a couple more points. Both hit 60 I think, and Zajac was the only other guy to hit even 40.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Yeah he, and Arnott were pretty good. I take that back. They weren't racking up points, but they were actually trying, and even Lemaire said ''Patrik is playing better than he did last year. Everyone else has lost their confidence'' in his first post game presser back I think it was.

Parise also had the highest PPG average on the team for a LONG time even though he only played a month. Despite Kovy's monster run in the second half it was Patty who led the team in points. Kovy got 11 more goals though, but Patty had a couple more points. Both hit 60 I think, and Zajac was the only other guy to hit even 40.
Arnott had 15pts in the first 30 and Patty had 21 in the first 30 - otherwise everybody else was underachieving

Anyway, enough of that years team we've done a full 180 since then

Old
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Arnott had 15pts in the first 30 and Patty had 21 in the first 30 - otherwise everybody else was underachieving

Anyway, enough of that years team we've done a full 180 since then
How about we sign Arnott when this thing ends?

He kinda missed out. Not sure if anyone wanted to give him more than a year contract, but if we miss a season or even not, he still won't be worth as much I don't think.

As far as other former Devils go I think Rolston, and Pandolfo have definitely played their last NHL game. Colin White I'd like to say he'll play again, but very undecided. DON'T GET ANY IDEAS EITHER LOU! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT IF YOU'RE READING THIS!

Old
01-04-2013, 05:03 PM
apice3*

Quote:

Look at Marty's clean pads. It doesn't look like he has made many saves. Pretty impressed that he's alreay in mid season form.
I'll show myself out>>>

Old
01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

I can't see any team giving White a chance. According to Sharks fans he was absolutely brutal last year. Too bad, because his last year here he was solid.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Look at Marty's clean pads. It doesn't look like he has made many saves. Pretty impressed that he's alreay in mid season form.
I'll show myself out>>>
I caught that!

He could have been wearing the ones Anthony was wearing in the photo.

I remember him saying in an interview not long ago the ups and downs of the lockout. How when you know nothing is happening you start falling out of shape, and not eating right, and then when talks are going you rush to get back into shape. Haha.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
I can't see any team giving White a chance. According to Sharks fans he was absolutely brutal last year. Too bad, because his last year here he was solid.
I think if Larsson wasn't drafted or NHL ready he likely wouldn't have been bought out. He may have ended his career here too, but we've made some mistakes with not knowing when to part with some players. Like Pandolfo. At least with players like White, Madden, and Mckay years ago we knew it was time. If I had my way I would have loved to see all those guys not deteriorate, and retire Devils. Madden I would have kept for real cheap though.

Closed Thread