HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Why are certain diseases more prevelant in rich countries?

Old
11-18-2012, 06:26 PM
HookeyPlayer

vCash: 500
Why are certain diseases more prevelant in rich countries?

When it comes to neurological diseases, cancers, diabetes etc... why have they exploded in rich countries?

Are multinational corporations with legions of lawyers responsible?

Is it due to all those artificial ingredients we have in our toothpastes, creams, genetically modified foods (btw does Europe still ban GMO food?) Artificial sweeteners (like aspartame) are found everywhere. Just check the back of your chewing gum pack. Why'd they have to put fluoride in the water, without knowing the long term impact?

Is it because of all our electronics which give off radiation?

Or maybe its cuz all these poorer countries are not tracking these diseases as well?

HookeyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
When it comes to neurological diseases, cancers, diabetes etc... why have they exploded in rich countries?

Are multinational corporations with legions of lawyers responsible?

Is it due to all those artificial ingredients we have in our toothpastes, creams, genetically modified foods (btw does Europe still ban GMO food?) Artificial sweeteners (like aspartame) are found everywhere. Just check the back of your chewing gum pack. Why'd they have to put fluoride in the water, without knowing the long term impact?

Is it because of all our electronics which give off radiation?

Or maybe its cuz all these poorer countries are not tracking these diseases as well?
Because people are living longer, which means they're more subject to age-related diseases like adult-onset diabetes.

Also, obesity. High-fructose corn syrup, fatty foods in fast-food restaurants, etc.

It's not a conspiracy.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_disease

I guess you could blame pharmaceutical companies in that pharmaceuticals extend people's lives and keep them around long enough to develop diseases they otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to develop.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Because people are living longer, which means they're more subject to age-related diseases like adult-onset diabetes.

Also, obesity. High-fructose corn syrup, fatty foods in fast-food restaurants, etc.

It's not a conspiracy.
That, and advanced countries have much better methods for detecting and reporting illnesses.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:05 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

More money = More processed food.

You think someone in India is going to eat a ton of Twinkies?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post

Kicking the Twinkies when they're down...have you no decency, sir, at long last?

Old
11-18-2012, 07:09 PM
guest1467

Well, for one, with a disease like diabetes, obesity (caused by overeating and lack of exercise) is caused because people can afford copious amounts of food.

As others have pointed out, exogenous factors such as higher life expectancy and better health care systems lead to higher numbers.

Additionally, lack of exercise, which is loosely correlated to wealthy lifestyles is a factor as well.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:12 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Kicking the Twinkies when they're down...have you no decency, sir, at long last?
I do what I want!

Twinkies is the epitome of fatness in America

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
I do what I want!

Twinkies is the epitome of fatness in America
In that case, maybe better days lie ahead for America's fatties. :-D

Old
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

I am sorry,

it is a sort of conspiracy, a co-operation by the pharmaceuticals and the chemical industry in general, for, as always, money.

They used to use petroleum based colorings for clothes (chemical dyes). Nowadays I sense they dye our food with those stuffs.(check the Krafts mac and cheese box, its called yellow 5)

Exposure to exhauste gas, paints, any synthetic chemicals. All this and mental stress creates cancer.

The cancer patient, to say it short, will owe at least 50,000 bucks right? (bemay I poker very low here)
Going through an extremely messed up chemo-therapy, leaving you in a different shape.

Where the money lies, the radical capitalists would do anything to get it. They get rich for making us sick and drugging us then with more profitable garbage.

"without knowing it long term impact" The government of course, as the private industries *****, does not bid GMOs or fluoride, the factually toxic **** in our food, in any way, no, it enforces it actually, as in parts of the US making local gardening illegal. It is there.

(The EU is getting there, trust me, our countries have long been bought and payed for. By EU law any food allowed in any country can be sold in another member country. Like in Italy MSG and worse is cool. By EU law it can be sold in Germany even with the German law forbidding it)

As for the poorer countries. I say from the radical capitalists view, in Afrika, illness is not a profitable market. Thats why our countries don't even care. It would cost more than paying-out.

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Ugmo

Man, I missed my cue... my first response should have been "If you listen closely, you can actually hear NYRFan88 running to this thread!"

Old
11-18-2012, 07:22 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:

Man, I missed my cue... my first response should have been "If you listen closely, you can actually hear NYRFan88 running to this thread!"
I laughed, I like that ^^

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:44 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Folks in third-world nations are likely to die from a stray bullet, starvation, dysentery or TB before they ever get a chance to find out they have cancer.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

People in Somalia or Iraq have enough problems - like finding food and shelter and not being shot - to worry about whether their kid might have a mild case of ADHD.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Worse immune systems

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
RonFournier

The main factor for cancer is alimentation. Japan has a higher life expectancy than Canada yet their cancer rate is 24 times lower than ours, and that's because their alimentation is optimized (fish, rice, seaweed, fruits, etc.) while we eat all kinds of ****** food like pogos, chicken nuggets, etc.

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
The main factor for cancer is alimentation. Japan has a higher life expectancy than Canada yet their cancer rate is 24 times lower than ours, and that's because their alimentation is optimized (fish, rice, seaweed, fruits, etc.) while we eat all kinds of ****** food like pogos, chicken nuggets, etc.
Japan and Canada are both rich countries though.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
yeah but who wants to eat that ****

Old
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Seaweed I understand, but the rest of those are edible.

Seafood and fish get a bad rap, but if prepared properly, they can be pretty damn good. One of my favorite fish to eat is salmon.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Fish tastes and smells bad. Pass.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
I love salmon as well. I can prepare a pretty good salmon fillet with rice, it's one of my favourite dishes.

Most fish and seafood is delicious... I always enjoy a good plate of paella. I also love sushi.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

Yes i do. I fact its a big issue in india both obesity and diabeties.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Rich countries can afford to pay for the medicine. So why not have all the good diseases.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
Fish tastes and smells bad. Pass.
Only when it's bad.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew...b_1648056.html

Quote:
Each time I visit my homeland, Vietnam, I find that many of my relatives have gotten wealthier and progressively fatter, especially their overly pampered children. One cousin in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) in particular is raising an obese child. When asked why she was feeding him so much she simply shrugged and said, "Well, we barely had enough to eat during the Cold War. Now that I have money, I just let my son eat what he wants."

Unfortunately what that entails for her boy is access to an array of American-owned chains like KFC, Pizza Hut, Carl Jr.'s. His favorite meal? "Pizza and Coke," the boy answered with glee.

Besides the tasty draw of fatty foods and sweet sodas, there's another reason why such establishments are making inroads in countries that are otherwise known for their excellent culinary traditions. Unlike in the U.S., where fast food is perceived as time-saving and cheap and often the preferred meal of the working poor, in Asia places like Burger King and Pizza Hut are the fare of choice for those with dispensable incomes. For a regular factory worker in Vietnam who makes around $5 a day, eating at KFC is completely out of the question. For those who can afford to eat at one of Pizza Hut's air-conditioned restaurants in a chic sparkling shopping mall in Hanoi or Saigon, however, eating is only part of the experience. The other part is equally, if not more, important: Consuming American fast food is the proof of one's economic status in the world.
Interesting article I read a few months ago on how the expansion of American fast food into other countries leads to obesity. And people aren't eating this type of food because they're poor...it's because they want to show they're elite. Odd.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:03 PM
guest1467

Yeah, in developing countries fast food is viewed as a luxury good. It is really expensive as well. The average person in those countries cannot afford fast food from American chains.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote