HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Why are certain diseases more prevelant in rich countries?

Old
11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Really? You could not get one days worth of food with 5 bucks? Canadian dollars, right?

That is roughly equivalent to 4 euros. The price level of Kanada is roughly 9% lower than Finnish. I can easily find food with 4 euros for one day. Maybe not the best and most healthiest ingredients but still i can.
No for one meal. X 3 is $15. For seven days thats $105 which is not unreasonable to spend in one week on groceries.

My wife and i spend at least $200/week in groceries right now.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:15 PM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
No for one meal. X 3 is $15. For seven days thats $105 which is not unreasonable to spend in one week on groceries.

My wife and i spend at least $200/week in groceries right now.
You are really saying to me that you did the math and realized it is cheaper to eat 3 times a day 5$ noodle cup? Ok, that is not even close to truth. With 105$ a week you EASILY get better and cheaper food if you make it yourself. No matter what you try to say.

Seriously, me and my girlfriend used less than 40€ last week on groceries. That was not even trying the hardest. Come on, you can't really be serious.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
You are really saying to me that you did the math and realized it is cheaper to eat 3 times a day 5$ noodle cup? Ok, that is not even close to truth. With 105$ a week you EASILY get better and cheaper food if you make it yourself. No matter what you try to say.

Seriously, me and my girlfriend used less than 40€ last week on groceries. That was not even trying the hardest. Come on, you can't really be serious.
Its not a "cup of noodles" much more substantial and its healthy so better is debatable if healthy is what you are referring to.

I cook all the time and eat homemade food very very rarely do i buy premade or overly processed food in my groceries. Im well aware of what ive paid for groceries and yes i am saying it was roughly the same in groceries for me as it would have been to buy 3 massive bowls of nutritious soup each day.

But your maybe if i ate cans of beans.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:44 PM
TAnnala

Quote:
Its not a "cup of noodles" much more substantial and its healthy so better is debatable if healthy is what you are referring to.

I cook all the time and eat homemade food very very rarely do i buy premade or overly processed food in my groceries. Im well aware of what ive paid for groceries and yes i am saying it was roughly the same in groceries for me as it would have been to buy 3 massive bowls of nutritious soup each day.

I get that quality food cost's money. The point in my earlier post's was that you CAN manage with significantly lower budget than 105$/€ per week. But it means that something has to be cut off.

With 105€ i will eat easily healthy and good food if i make it myself. I would bet that i can't find better food at any restaurant for the same price.

I guess you just spend more in groceries than you realize. I know i eat healthy and good food and i basically never spend over 100€ in a week for groceries. I find it as a somewhat of a hobby to try and spend as little as possible on food shopping. Potatoes, rice, vegetables and meat.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
copperandblue

Quote:

It's very rare for any kind of restaurant food to qualify as nutritious or healthy.

$5 Tai food, when treated as a staple item, will carry the same pitfalls as any other fast food restaurant used as a staple source.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
It's very rare for any kind of restaurant food to qualify as nutritious or healthy.

$5 Tai food, when treated as a staple item, will carry the same pitfalls as any other fast food restaurant used as a staple source.
How is it that its rare for any kind of restaurants food can qualify as nutritious or healthy?

This should be interesting.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:59 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
How is it that its rare for any kind of restaurants food can qualify as nutritious or healthy?

This should be interesting.
Ever looked up the nutritional information that restaurants are starting to post more regularly?

Take a peak, compare it the categories to the daily recommended amounts and draw your own conclusions.

For example, without singling out any one restaurant, is very common for a restaurant salad - obvious healthy choice, right? - to have almost all of your daily recommended salt.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
I get that quality food cost's money. The point in my earlier post's was that you CAN manage with significantly lower budget than 105$/€ per week. But it means that something has to be cut off.

With 105€ i will eat easily healthy and good food if i make it myself. I would bet that i can't find better food at any restaurant for the same price.

I guess you just spend more in groceries than you realize. I know i eat healthy and good food and i basically never spend over 100€ in a week for groceries. I find it as a somewhat of a hobby to try and spend as little as possible on food shopping. Potatoes, rice, vegetables and meat.
I think i made it clear im aware what i spend.

Maybe groceries are cheaper where you are. Maybe we buy different ingredients and cook different things.

Anyways this is not the topic of this threas.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Ever looked up the nutritional information that restaurants are starting to post more regularly?

Take a peak, compare it the categories to the daily recommended amounts and draw your own conclusions.

For example, without singling out any one restaurant, is very common for a restaurant salad - obvious healthy choice, right? - to have almost all of your daily recommended salt.
That doesnt answer the question.

And youve given a general example about some salad at some restaurant.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:15 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
That doesnt answer the question.

And youve given a general example about some salad at some restaurant.
Of course it answers the question, if you have no interest in looking the information up that is relevant for you based on where you eat, the so be it.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:17 PM
TAnnala

Quote:
I think i made it clear im aware what i spend.

Maybe groceries are cheaper where you are. Maybe we buy different ingredients and cook different things.

Anyways this is not the topic of this threas.
Look, i am not trying to judge your shopping. I just said that food is cheaper if it is home made. You said that it is not true. I countered by saying that my experience shows that food in fact is cheaper when home made.

I checked Canadian price level and it is 9% cheaper than Finnish. 5 Canadian dollars=4 euros.

I manage with less than 100€ easily in a more expensive country. I eat healthy and lots of different varieties. You said that you could not do it and you are aware of the money you spend. Maybe you are, but it does not mean you are right. Cause i have no problem spending 40-80€ on weekly basis. No more.

In conclusion you spend more than it is necessary and you think it is cheaper to eat 5$ ready-made food three times a day. I say it is not true. Which it clearly is not.

I have no problem with your personal shopping just with your claim that it is cheaper to eat ready made food.

But true, this is going off-topic. Sorry.

Last edited by TAnnala: 11-19-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Hammer Time

People in rich countries are more likely to consume lots of fatty products in their diet, which is a known cause of obesity and diabetes. People that can't afford such food are less likely to have diabetes.

As for cancer, the vast majority of cases occur when a person is 60+ years old. While it is possible for young people to contract cancer, the occurrence of cancer is correlated with age. People in poorer countries, unfortunately, usually die of other causes such as malnutrition long before they are of an age when cancer is a big problem. It is possible that radiation from electronic devices could be carcinogenic, but by far the biggest reason cancer rates are exploding in rich countries is because people aren't dying of other diseases.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:12 PM
buddahsmoka1

There are instances where eating at a restaurant can be cheaper. Particularly with regards to breakfast and lunch, where specials can be had for cheap.

I mean I can go to a greasy spoon diner and get eggs, sausages, toast, and hashbrowns for $4. That simply is not possible yourself unless you buy it in huge quantities. Similarly, I can get a falafel wrap for $3.50 for lunch.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:37 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Topics like this remind me why I never listen to the average person when it comes to medical or health issues.

As has been said, certain diseases are more prevalent in the West for a variety of reasons. Some diseases are climate-specific, i.e. you're not going to see a lot of malaria in the UK or Illinois or Ontario or Japan regardless while influenza is much more common in colder climates. Some are also dependent on genetic factors, such as multiple sclerosis being much more common amongst whites than any other race. Same goes for diseases that can be prevented with certain dietary patterns more common in parts of the world versus others. And some diseases are just more common among the elderly (Alzheimer's) and the obese (diabetes), and you're more likely to find older and fatter people in the first world than the third world. Finally, people are more likely to survive various diseases and issues in the first world than the third world. A kid born with a serious disease in the first world has a significantly higher chance of survival than a kid born with the same disease in the third world, not to mention that certain diseases/disorders are more easily identifiable in areas that have access to modern medicine.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Topics like this remind me why I never listen to the average person when it comes to medical or health issues.

As has been said, certain diseases are more prevalent in the West for a variety of reasons. Some diseases are climate-specific, i.e. you're not going to see a lot of malaria in the UK or Illinois or Ontario or Japan regardless while influenza is much more common in colder climates. Some are also dependent on genetic factors, such as multiple sclerosis being much more common amongst whites than any other race. Same goes for diseases that can be prevented with certain dietary patterns more common in parts of the world versus others. And some diseases are just more common among the elderly (Alzheimer's) and the obese (diabetes), and you're more likely to find older and fatter people in the first world than the third world. Finally, people are more likely to survive various diseases and issues in the first world than the third world. A kid born with a serious disease in the first world has a significantly higher chance of survival than a kid born with the same disease in the third world, not to mention that certain diseases/disorders are more easily identifiable in areas that have access to modern medicine.
The only average person you should listen to regarding health and medical issues is me

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
Fish tastes and smells bad. Pass.
That's probably just the mercury.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
The only average person you should listen to regarding health and medical issues is me
Which reminds me... how come Dr. Preds hasn't replied to this thread???

Ugmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:27 PM
nyrfonmoni
beyond good and evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
That's probably just the mercury.
Good thing that we don't drink our vaccinations ...

nyrfonmoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Which reminds me... how come Dr. Preds hasn't replied to this thread???
Republicans have to be careful about nutrition science.

You profess too much support for a healthy diet and Sarah Palin's crew swoops in on you.

I'd rather say nothing here than have a gaggle of Palinista's force feeding me deep fried butter.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:57 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

I think it's our diet. All these preservatives in the foods we eat can't be good for our long-term health.

11-21-2012, 12:37 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Does this look infected to you?

*takes off shirt*

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Well, for one, with a disease like diabetes, obesity (caused by overeating and lack of exercise) is caused because people can afford copious amounts of food.
This is an interesting one. Obesity, especially in America, affects both the rich and the poor. Poor people in America tend to eat large quantities of processed and fast foods due to relatively low cost. Fast food joints have made it possible to fill the stomachs of the "pretty" poor for not much money. While filling, these foods are obviously low on nutritional value. Many of these people also cannot afford to see doctors for every little thing, things which build up until they can't not go see a doctor any longer, at which point they find out about their Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, etc.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
This is an interesting one. Obesity, especially in America, affects both the rich and the poor. Poor people in America tend to eat large quantities of processed and fast foods due to relatively low cost. Fast food joints have made it possible to fill the stomachs of the "pretty" poor for not much money. While filling, these foods are obviously low on nutritional value. Many of these people also cannot afford to see doctors for every little thing, things which build up until they can't not go see a doctor any longer, at which point they find out about their Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, etc.
Diabetes is also exploding in poor countries. The economic link is pretty tenuous.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
yeah but who wants to eat that ****
Quote:
Seaweed I understand, but the rest of those are edible.

Seafood and fish get a bad rap, but if prepared properly, they can be pretty damn good. One of my favorite fish to eat is salmon.
Quote:
Fish tastes and smells bad. Pass.
Oh wait, you were serious. Fresh fish shouldn't smell or taste bad, though I know enough people who simply dislike fish make me wonder what the deal is. JMO but I quite like seaweed. Different types have different flavors and textures, and they are all pretty great for your body in many different ways.

Japan is a very interesting study in human health. They are one of the highest-smoking countries yet they have one of the world's best life expectancies.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Oh wait, you were serious. Fresh fish shouldn't smell or taste bad, though I know enough people who simply dislike fish make me wonder what the deal is. JMO but I quite like seaweed. Different types have different flavors and textures, and they are all pretty great for your body in many different ways.

Japan is a very interesting study in human health. They are one of the highest-smoking countries yet they have one of the world's best life expectancies.
Also i think japan is one of highest if not the highsalt salt consumers.