HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Autumn Thunder: Child's Play 16 - The Revenge of Chucky Batch

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 09:03 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think he has had a very impressive season. On and off the field. That's why he's a top 10 talent this season.
Off the field, yes, what he went through I would not wish on anyone.

Statistically, no.

I'm going to compare him to Ohio State's Ryan Shazier.

Shazier: 115 Tackles (70 solo, 45 assisted), 17 TFL (-70 yards), 5 Sacks (-47 yards), 1 INT 1 TD (17 yards), 10 PBU, 3 FF

Te'o: 103 Tackles (52 solo, 51 assisted), 5.5 TFL (-19 yards), 1.5 Sacks (-13 yards), 7 INT (35 yards), 4 PBU

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Off the field, yes, what he went through I would not wish on anyone.

Statistically, no.

I'm going to compare him to Ohio State's Ryan Shazier.

Shazier: 115 Tackles (70 solo, 45 assisted), 17 TFL (-70 yards), 5 Sacks (-47 yards), 1 INT 1 TD (17 yards), 10 PBU, 3 FF

Te'o: 103 Tackles (52 solo, 51 assisted), 5.5 TFL (-19 yards), 1.5 Sacks (-13 yards), 7 INT (35 yards), 4 PBU
Right. Both are having impressive seasons. Not sure what you're getting at.

Te'o has been playing at this level for 3 years. I mean, in his sophomore year, he lead Notre Dame in tackles with 133, had 9.5 TFL, and a forced fumble.

And doesn't Shazier play OLB? Sort of different beasts there.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:29 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Right. Both are having impressive seasons. Not sure what you're getting at.

Te'o has been playing at this level for 3 years. I mean, in his sophomore year, he lead Notre Dame in tackles with 133, had 9.5 TFL, and a forced fumble.

And doesn't Shazier play OLB? Sort of different beasts there.
My main thing is the Heisman Hype he is getting, it's not warranted. If there were a defensive player who deserved the hype it would be Clowney from South Carolina. All I was doing was comparing him to a LB whose stats are a hell of a lot better. Solo tackles and TFL being the sticking points, other than INT's. He is good player no doubt I'm not knocking him for that all. Just comparisons.

Shazier plays both OLB and MLB. OSU runs a nickle and 4-3 package with a stand up DE.

Nickle D:

Simon-Hankins-Goebel-Williams

Shazier-Boren Ohrian Johnson as the Star/Nickle

Howard-Barnett-Bryant-Roby

4-3:

Simon-Hankins-Goebel-Williams

Shazier-Boren-Sabino

Howard-Barnett-Bryant-Roby

Old
11-25-2012, 09:31 PM
End of Line
Human After All

JTG, how would you draft say the Steelers trade down from the 1st, and we pick up 2 2nd rounders? Hypothetically of course, because I agree the depth in the 2nd/3rd rounds is pretty good.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:45 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
these are obviously the only two possible scenarios.
Sorry, I meant another rather than the other

Old
11-25-2012, 09:47 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
JTG, how would you draft say the Steelers trade down from the 1st, and we pick up 2 2nd rounders? Hypothetically of course, because I agree the depth in the 2nd/3rd rounds is pretty good.
I've sort of thought about it, and I'm still not real sure how I'd work things right now, but if I had to just throw something together if we traded back I'd probably draft Pugh (LT-Syracuse), Williams (S-UGA), and then Amerson or Trufant to cover the cornerback situation (I'd actually like to have both).

Like I said, not real sure what the linebacking class is looking like. I know you like Simon, and I do too...not sure I would dig picking him in the 2nd though because I have no idea where he should be positionally. Some reports I'm reading (including ESPN) agree. McShay has knocked him back in the rankings recently. Now grades him out at a 3rd-4th rounder. A lot of stuff I've read has put him there from the get go, so, I can see him settling in that range.

I find Pugh to be the most intriguing player in this class because he's sort of raw physically, as he's only 292 lbs, but he doesn't play like he's 292 lbs. Incredibly strong, and I think he's going to go to the combine and destroy it. If he does, he'll probably be a late 1st rounder, as he has the strength and a frame to hang more weight on. Reading all the stuff I have about Pugh, he sounds exactly like Roger Saffold that the Rams drafted a couple years ago who I was incredibly high on. Saffold took over a starting tackle job there instantly. Saffold has been hurt the last 2 seasons, but during and after his rookie year, the consensus around the league from all the commentators was that he was going to be one of the next great tackles in this league. I think Pugh can be similar.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
JTG

Another guys who intrigues me is Shamarko Thomas. He's like a Bob Sanders clone...hopefully sans the injuries.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
I find Pugh to be the most intriguing player in this class because he's sort of raw physically, as he's only 292 lbs, but he doesn't play like he's 292 lbs.
it blows my mind that the phrase only 292 lbs is a reasonable statement for discussing a professional athlete.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
it blows my mind that the phrase only 292 lbs is a reasonable statement for discussing a professional athlete.
Another mind blowing fact is that at 292 lbs a guy can be classified as "lean," and "able to add bulk."

I remember guys talking about Solder when he was coming out. They were saying he had a "swimmer's body." A swimmer's body at 295 lbs. What the **** are the guy's bones made out of, is my question?

Old
11-25-2012, 10:05 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I've sort of thought about it, and I'm still not real sure how I'd work things right now, but if I had to just throw something together if we traded back I'd probably draft Pugh (LT-Syracuse), Williams (S-UGA), and then Amerson or Trufant to cover the cornerback situation (I'd actually like to have both).

Like I said, not real sure what the linebacking class is looking like. I know you like Simon, and I do too...not sure I would dig picking him in the 2nd though because I have no idea where he should be positionally. Some reports I'm reading (including ESPN) agree. McShay has knocked him back in the rankings recently. Now grades him out at a 3rd-4th rounder. A lot of stuff I've read has put him there from the get go, so, I can see him settling in that range.

I find Pugh to be the most intriguing player in this class because he's sort of raw physically, as he's only 292 lbs, but he doesn't play like he's 292 lbs. Incredibly strong, and I think he's going to go to the combine and destroy it. If he does, he'll probably be a late 1st rounder, as he has the strength and a frame to hang more weight on. Reading all the stuff I have about Pugh, he sounds exactly like Roger Saffold that the Rams drafted a couple years ago who I was incredibly high on. Saffold took over a starting tackle job there instantly. Saffold has been hurt the last 2 seasons, but during and after his rookie year, the consensus around the league from all the commentators was that he was going to be one of the next great tackles in this league. I think Pugh can be similar.
The thing with Simon is that most of the Draft "experts" don't grade someones work ethic and their intelligence. Simon reminds me a bit of Mike Vrabel, undersized 4-3 DE who converted to a 3-4 OLB. Having 9 sacks and 14.5 TFL in 11 games is no small feat. He's a special player, I've watched him for 4 years, everything about him fits the Steelers mold. Blue Collar.

There are a lot of DB's that can be taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds which is a good thing if they do trade down. I'll do a small mock of what I would like to see if we trade down and pick up a 2nd and 3rd.

2-Jordan Poyer (CB, Oregon St)
2-John Simon (DE, Ohio State)
3-Bacarri Rambo(FS, Georgia)
3-Shawn Williams (SS, Georgia)
4-Shayne Skov (ILB, Stanford)
5-Justin Pugh (OT, Syracuse)
6-Jake Stoneburner (WR, Ohio State) 6'5 245 WR's with speed don't come around very often
-7????

Might be better to do this around the combine as well lol.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:06 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Another mind blowing fact is that at 292 lbs a guy can be classified as "lean," and "able to add bulk."

I remember guys talking about Solder when he was coming out. They were saying he had a "swimmer's body." A swimmer's body at 295 lbs. What the **** are the guy's bones made out of, is my question?
Who the hell knows, just high end genetics really.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Pens1566

Have to consider drafting at least a project QB after this season. With the last 2 weeks, it's become obvious that our ancient retreads can't be trusted to win a game in Ben's absence. Which is just slightly ridiculous when you consider the rest of the team.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:17 PM
End of Line
Human After All

DeCastro comes off, and Gilbert goes on IR.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

RT spot looking scary with the injuries to Adams and Gilbert. Hopefully Adams can get back sooner than later with Gilbert going to IR.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:43 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
RT spot looking scary with the injuries to Adams and Gilbert. Hopefully Adams can get back sooner than later with Gilbert going to IR.
If Adams can't play, I would move Colon to RT. Put DeCastro or Legursky in for LG.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Have to consider drafting at least a project QB after this season. With the last 2 weeks, it's become obvious that our ancient retreads can't be trusted to win a game in Ben's absence. Which is just slightly ridiculous when you consider the rest of the team.
Definitely agree. In one of the next two drafts they need to draft a qb with 2nd or 3rd round pick. Throughout the Ben era, they've wasted 4-6th round picks on scrubs like Omar Jacobs, Dennis Dixon, Brian St. Pierre, etc in hopes of striking gold with one of them developing into a decent player. They need to invest a significant pick on a QB. Ben misses games and plays hurt a lot of other times and when he can't go, they need an option beyond Mr. Glass and Chaz Batch.

There's also going to be a time not too far from now when Ben is going to be done and the Steelers will have to replace him. They might as well bite the bullet this year or next and start the development for the next guy and give him 2-3 years until he's ready to step in and contribute. I don't want the team to keep putting the position on the back-burner and end up like the Steelers of the 80's to early 90's where they're just some mediocre team with no real shot to win in the playoffs.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
If Adams can't play, I would move Colon to RT. Put DeCastro or Legursky in for LG.
Yeah, I could see that. I'd hate to do it since Colon has been a beast at LG but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Toney Clemons got signed off the Steelers practice squad by Jacksonville. Hard to figure out that move by the Jags.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
JTG

Very weird

Old
11-26-2012, 08:00 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Clemons will become something in this league, guaranteed. Can't say I'm too happy about losing him.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think he's much of a loss but only time will tell. He looked like a Limas Sweed clone in camp/preseason. He was big and fast but struggled mightily to catch the ball. Very surprised he got picked up.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Well, who does anybody have suggestions on as a quarterback after the second round? I really have not been paying attention to senior quarterbacks this season. Maybe we could trade for Kirk Cousins of Washington. He always impressed me at michigan State.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Steelers need help at safety, OLB, ILB, NT, TE etc. It's easy to talk about QB but I still don't think they'd draft one very high. Maybe they'll look to upgrade the backup spot with a better veteran than Batch and/or Leftwich and draft a project QB no earlier than the 4th round or later. Just too many other needs to spend a 3rd round pick or higher on a backup QB imo unless the value is just unbelievable.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Hell just keep hoyer for now.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Flat Stanley

We don't need to draft a QB to back up Ben, there are capable back up QB's on the free agent market next year (at the moment anyways).

Some guys I want the Steelers to take a look at.

1. Bruce Gradkowski - Pittsburgh native, played pretty well with the Raiders, haven't seen much of him on the Bengals, he turns 30 in January.

2. Jason Campbell - Solid back up QB, probably the best 2nd string QB on the free agent market. He turns 31 next month, would be an upgrade over Leftwich and Batch.

3. Matt Moore - Another solid back up QB, was decent one year as a starter for Carolina, he played 13 games for Miami last season and was pretty decent in terms of passing the ball.

Now honestly, I think we keep Charlie Batch as #3 QB, I'm not looking to replace both him and Leftwich, unless Batch retires. But we do need a new #2 QB. I was (and I guess I still am) a fan of Byron Leftwich, but after watching him against the Ravens, can he help out the team at all?

Closed Thread