HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Autumn Thunder: Child's Play 16 - The Revenge of Chucky Batch

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
That only seems to happen in football. Why is that? A big part of me wants to play the race card, but I know (hope) that isn't the case. How often do you hear of this happening in hockey or baseball or soccer or any other sport? Almost never. But then you get all of this crap in football, like Plax shooting himself, rookies getting arrested for DUIs, murder-suicides, and all of the other crap. It seems like it only happens in football.
or wwf

Old
12-01-2012, 04:33 PM
saba

Send a message via Yahoo to saba
and in Dentistry, Psychiatry..

Old
12-01-2012, 05:24 PM
SteelCitySaviour

Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
a lot of it has to do with repeated head trauma. and the rest can probably be attributed to the sub-culture of the sport. why are we surprised when a highly violent sport predicated and made popular by said violence and played by mostly maladjusted young men who were shoe horned and fed a silver spoon at a young age has a tendency to give rise to results like this?

I've played both football and hockey at a reasonably high level and worked with both in the nfl and nhl , and the differences are night and day. race isn't directly the issue, its the mentality fostered by the sports. sadly, football glorifies a lifestyle now that is reprehensible, which is the issue.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Gooch

I just can't get all that excited abotu Martin. I think I saw his OPS last season at .715ish and that's in a more favorable park. I know you pay to get anything even around avg in OPS out of the catcher position but the team has so many other glaring holes they should be paying to improve the bats of other positions instead.

I also don't get the nontender of Karstens. I originally didnt like him but he's been rock solid while healthy and his performance has been much better than that of a 3.5 mill dollar pitcher. The flexibility he offered was extremely useful. Another thing that saddens me is how far Hanrahan's trade value has plummeted. If we had just sold on him at the deadline last year or the year before we wouldve returned a top shelf prospect. Now we're talking about an aging middle of the rotation starter. I'd honestly just rather keep Hanrahan if the return is Capuano.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:05 PM
JTG

Yeah what happened in KC today is really unbelievable.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Iggy Smalls

Bah, Georgia came so close to a last second win.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
JTG

I was in Georgia today. Interesting watching an SEC game in the SEC. People are intense.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

SEC football is awesome. I didn't got to one of their schools or ever live in that territory but I really enjoy the product.

The Chiefs murder/suicide thing is crazy. Those two incidents would be creepy if they happened totally in private but that dude apparently shot his GF with his mom and infant kid in the house and went to the team facility and shot himself in front of coaches and personnel people. That's insane. I can't imagine how shook up I'd be if someone I knew lost it like that and did those things in front of me.

I don't think he was driven to this by head trauma or anything but I don't know. A lot of these players have rough upbringings in tough violent neighborhoods and some people in general regardless of race or upbringing just can't handle life's inevitable periods of struggle and adversity and they snap.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I was in Georgia today. Interesting watching an SEC game in the SEC. People are intense.
Tell me about it. I live in Orlando. Florida is so insane about football, not just college but high school as well. Most of my friends are fans of UF. I'm getting tired of hearing about it from them.

Very sad about KC situation. What a cowardly way to kill his gf and then himself especially in front of Chiefs staff.

Last edited by sniugneP: 12-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
JTG

When you are amongst SEC fans, there's no wonder whatsoever as to why kids flock to play in front of them.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:09 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Tell me about it. I live in Orlando. Florida is so insane about football, not just college but high school as well. Most of my friends are fans of UF. I'm getting tired of hearing about it from them.
It's like that here in Ohio along with Texas.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
That only seems to happen in football. Why is that? A big part of me wants to play the race card, but I know (hope) that isn't the case. How often do you hear of this happening in hockey or baseball or soccer or any other sport? Almost never. But then you get all of this crap in football, like Plax shooting himself, rookies getting arrested for DUIs, murder-suicides, and all of the other crap. It seems like it only happens in football.
So you know/hope he didn't murder someone and commit suicide because of his race? I didn't realize gun violence was limited to black people. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:12 PM
DJ Spinoza

I'm pretty ambivalent about Martin. The Martin deal and non-tendering Karstens aren't very consistent. On the one hand, it makes sense to not give a bigger chunk of money to an injury-prone Karstens; the Pirates obviously only have a certain amount of money and they need to allocate it wisely. Along the same lines, though, Martin is a pretty significant upgrade over Barajas, but it's questionable whether he is worth so much more than what they'd get out of McKenry.

However, there are some other factors with Martin. For one, the Pirates have no depth at catcher, a position that's not exactly the least susceptible to injuries. If McKenry were hypothetically performing well as a starting catcher and he got hurt, the Pirates would be really screwed. Second and related, McKenry is still a big question mark, whereas Martin is a pretty known commodity.

So with those competing logics in mind, it's hard to really have a strong opinion. I definitely fall into the camp that says there weren't any other options (preferable or not), so it's a good job by the Pirates in the sense that they had a huge need and put up the money on the best chance to fill it. It's way more than Martin should get in an ideal world, but it's a question of the market this offseason, so I don't think it's an indication of poor asset management in the abstract. I also don't buy the argument that Martin's offense will take a hit moving from Yankee stadium to PNC Park. It seems like mostly a trade-off, and if some of the HRs turn to doubles, that's not the end of the world.

At this point, losing Karstens seems like a mistake. I would be very surprised if he returns, given how much pitchers get in free agency. The Pirates need pitching, and Karstens was very dependable in terms of what he brings when healthy. He's obviously not dependable in terms of full seasons, but for what he brings when healthy, the Pirates will have a harder time replacing him. I'd guess they will invite Jurrjens to camp, but who knows. If they took the money that would have gone to Karstens and put it towards a better pitcher, that'd be great.

I really don't like the idea of Capuano for Hanrahan, even though Hanrahan's value isn't that high. This is a case of the classic Pirates conundrum: Hanrahan pretty much should have been auctioned off at the deadline, but there would have been no way to justify the move at the time, and then afterwards, we all know what happened.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:30 PM
penguins2946*

I actually don't mind the Martin signing, as long as Barajas gets away, I'm fine with it. Now we need to get McDonald back to pre-sucking form.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:48 PM
SteelFish87*

1. I like the Martin signing. hes a rich man's BArajas.

2. Going to the Steelers game tomorrow, wish me luck

Old
12-01-2012, 11:30 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Polamalu and Brown being back for tomorrow should help a ton.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I'll be working through the game tomorrow...probably better for my blood pressure that way.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Illinest

Martin's signing is the sort of thing that you hope your GM can avoid doing. He's pretty good defensively and he's only 'struggling' at the plate compared to the high standards he himself set when he was a little bit younger.
We did overpay for him. Martin probably would've gotten 6-7 million from one of the other teams. Neil did what was necessary to fill the hole. Rest assured that we had a huge hole at catcher.

I've seen a lot of people - not just here - who think that it's McKenry's job and don't see why we had to sign a catcher. If we had done that then an injury to McKenry - for example - would've put us in a terrible situation. I personally do not have much faith in McKenry. He did very well in limited playing time but he was sheltered quite a bit and his numbers bottomed out quickly when he started to get more playing time. I think he's a perfectly reasonable backup catcher but I would not be comfortable calling him our starter.

Now I do agree that we need to address the pitching staff as well but there are possibilities there even without Karstens. Aside from Burnett, Wandy, McDonald you've got Locke and Mcpherson who have little left to prove. Morton is in the plans. Not sure if I agree but Neil is probably thinking that he has a higher upside and we already know that he's cheaper. Neil might also be willing to let Cole start the season in the majors. That would be out of character for the Pirates but it wouldn't be out of character in terms of the way a typical baseball team is run. Perhaps the Pirates are planning to act like they want to win for once? If so - then they'll allow Cole to win a spot in the rotation as soon as he can.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:38 AM
DJ Spinoza

Those are good points, re: pitching. I definitely agree with the Morton thing in terms of the Pirates position and how to spend money. The upside is what makes it worth it for him.

I don't think Cole should start the season, but it can't be ruled out, and he's definitely on track to be a big part of the team by the middle of the summer, so given April scheduling, it's very possible that they can get through with some measure of Locke, McPherson, and Morton at the end of the rotation.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Morton won't be ready to start the season. I suspect both he and Cole will be in Pittsburgh come June.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:10 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Old
12-02-2012, 12:51 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I wish brother. Luckily Steelers are still in it for the playoffs due to the crappiest AFC ever.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:50 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

First time in a long time-make that EVER-I'm not looking forward to the game today. Can't even get myself up for a friggen Rats game.. not with candy arm Charlie, though.

Here's to Charlie breaking his arm on his first throw and us seeing what Hoyer's got.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:10 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Yeah.. Charlie in there is a joke. No point in caring. I would have liked to see any other kid get a shot to prove themselves in the NFL. We are going to lose badly.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Mendenhall completely inactive today.

Closed Thread