HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Autumn Thunder: Child's Play 16 - The Revenge of Chucky Batch

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Probably all about money. Arkansas has some really wealthy donors like Jerry Jones, Sam Walton, Donald J. Tyson (until his death in 2011 but I'm sure his filthy rich family still donates to his Alma mater).

The job itself is a downgrade but you never know. Maybe he wanted to challenge himself in the SEC.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The biggest thing I want to know is...in what world is Arkansas a better job than Wisconsin?

Wisconsin is a Big Ten power...Arksansas is an SEC mediocrity that has largely been irrelevant since joining the SEC two bleeping decades ago.

I don't get it, especially considering Bielema is from Big Ten country (from Illinois, went to Iowa, and outside of two seasons as a Co-DC at Kansas State his almost two decades of coaching has been in the Big Ten). I can get why guys go from smaller schools to lousy programs in bigger conferences, because the pay is a million times better, but that isn't the case here. It's a definitely raise, but to jump from a perennial winner to a mediocrity when you make what Bielema already was at Wisconsin...it's hard to respect the guy right now.

If I were a Badgers fan/alumni, I'd be livid. He even got a sizable pay raise when he signed his new five year deal last February.
Yeah, if I had my choice, I'd rather be in Wisco, but the SEC is the SEC. If he can turn that program around and battle in the most competitive conference in the country, he could theoretically write his coaching ticket anywhere. It's a good challenge...I don't necessarily get why he would want to take it, but it is a challenge.

I just love the feel of Big 10 football. When I watch the SEC or Pac 10, I feel like I'm watching arena league. Big 10 feels like pro ball.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Arkansas has great facilities, good recruiting location, passionate fanbase, plenty of money (lots of big money boosters), good school, etc.?

The potential is there to be a big time program.

I'm in a troubling situation. I went to Nebraska and Arkansas for my undergrad. I have disliked Bielema for quite a few years because he is a smug, arrogant *****. Now I'm thrilled I don't have to see his mug in the Big Ten anymore...but now he's coaching at Arkansas...

Old
12-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
I'm in a troubling situation. I went to Nebraska and Arkansas for my undergrad. I have disliked Bielema for quite a few years because he is a smug, arrogant *****. Now I'm thrilled I don't have to see his mug in the Big Ten anymore...but now he's coaching at Arkansas...
you just gotta suck it up. imagine having a Harbaugh coach your hometown team. he's an absolute ass. but as long as the niners keep winning, i just have to grin and bear it.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:46 PM
sniugneP

Bielema will find out about cutthroat SEC soon especially recruiting in the South. Remember Bielema complained about Meyer's recruiting tactics? That's how he learned from SEC. Recruiting is absolutely brutal down there.

I don't think he will win SEC West. It's way too deep.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:58 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I just love the feel of Big 10 football. When I watch the SEC or Pac 10, I feel like I'm watching arena league. Big 10 feels like pro ball.
I'm not sure why you feel like you're watching arena football when you watch the SEC. SEC is very defensive minded league. I think it's similar to Big 10 in terms of style they're playing. SEC runs more often than pass just like Big 10.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I'm not sure why you feel like you're watching arena football when you watch the SEC. SEC is very defensive minded league. I think it's similar to Big 10 in terms of style they're playing. SEC runs more often than pass just like Big 10.
I agree.

I think SEC and Big 10 play similar styles but the speed on the SEC field really jumps out as being a big difference between the two conferences.

Big 12 and Pac 10 look more like arena leagues with the seemingly unstoppable offenses and not much defense being played.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:14 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Glad to see Chryst got out in front of things tonight rather than let rumors linger. Sounds like he'll be sticking around, fortunately for Pitt.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
sniugneP

Speed and coaching are major reasons why SEC is best conference in the nation. That won't change in next decade.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Chryst is saying the right things and I hope he doesn't leave but Wisconsin hasn't made him an offer yet. He could just be saying these things to #1 Keep Pitt happy and #2 let Wisconsin know that it's going to cost them to pry him away. He certainly can't come out right now and say he can't wait to leave Pitt or he's open to offers from other schools. Wisconsin may not want him and Pitt may can his ass if he even hinted at such things.

I still think it will be tough for Pitt to keep him if he's the guy Wisconsin really wants. He was raised in Wisconsin. He went to college at Wisconsin. Wisconsin can offer him as much or more money and it's a better job than Pitt is even without all those ties.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Probably all about money. Arkansas has some really wealthy donors like Jerry Jones, Sam Walton, Donald J. Tyson (until his death in 2011 but I'm sure his filthy rich family still donates to his Alma mater).

The job itself is a downgrade but you never know. Maybe he wanted to challenge himself in the SEC.
He barely challenged himself while at Wisconsin.

Eleven Warriors ‏@11W
No idea why people think the SEC got one of the B1G's bests in Bielema? Was just 37-19 in a league that's been crap since he arrived.

Eleven Warriors ‏@11W
The only team that really excelled during his time in the league, Ohio State, went 5-1 against him. Take a good look at UW's non-conf sched.

I'm glad that turd is out of the Big Ten.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Sivek

Bielema went 68-24 at Wisconsin, finished sesaon in the top 10 3 times, finished ranked in top 25 all but once and went to 3 straight Rose Bowls. He must of been doing something right.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Bielema went 68-24 at Wisconsin, finished sesaon in the top 10 3 times, finished ranked in top 25 all but once and went to 3 straight Rose Bowls. He must of been doing something right.
He's not an elite coach.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
He barely challenged himself while at Wisconsin.

Eleven Warriors ‏@11W
No idea why people think the SEC got one of the B1G's bests in Bielema? Was just 37-19 in a league that's been crap since he arrived.

Eleven Warriors ‏@11W
The only team that really excelled during his time in the league, Ohio State, went 5-1 against him. Take a good look at UW's non-conf sched.

I'm glad that turd is out of the Big Ten.
I don't think he's making the schedule so I'm not sure it's fair to say he doesn't like a challenge.

He has taken his team to 3 straight Rose Bowl's. I wouldn't call him an elite coach since that should be reserved for the Saban's of the world imo but he's a good coach.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:27 PM
DJ Spinoza

I take the Jones/Walker rumor as good news, because it indicates that they are hoping to get high value or possibly not deal him at all. I'd expect Hanrahan to be dealt, and his value isn't that high. Jones doesn't have a ton, but he's a different type of player and I'd say that short of getting a big overpayment like a Walker or filling some other, more immediate need, he shouldn't be traded.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:41 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't think he's making the schedule so I'm not sure it's fair to say he doesn't like a challenge.

He has taken his team to 3 straight Rose Bowl's. I wouldn't call him an elite coach since that should be reserved for the Saban's of the world imo but he's a good coach.
He really hasn't had success against the top teams in the Big Ten. (Not counting Nebraska, only been in the conference for two years)

1-5 vs Ohio State
2-3 vs Penn St
3-4 vs Michigan St
3-2 vs Michigan (Rich Rod for 3 years)
3-2 vs Iowa

Eleven Warriors ‏@11W
But back to Bielema. A few more numbers: 6-6 vs ranked teams during 3 Rose Bowl years; 11-14 vs ranked teams overall at UW; 3-7 vs top 10.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:54 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Old
12-05-2012, 12:30 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

What a honker on that *****...the vid is blurry, but damn she looks busted, haha.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:42 AM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
What a honker on that *****...the vid is blurry, but damn she looks busted, haha.
She's got it taped up.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:48 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

ok, cause i'm at work and couldn't hear anything. Just saw some blurry vid of a chick that looks all nasty, haha.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

I watched 5 seconds w/ the sound off. I won't be watching anymore...

Old
12-05-2012, 08:36 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
It was more geared towards the speed and the conditions where SEC ball is played. They can recruit track stars because they don't have to worry about cold and snow.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
more NCAAF coaching-carousel talk:

Cal hires Louisiana Tech's Sonny Dykes to replace QB-wizard Jeff Tedfraud (hehehe).

i'm also glad to see that Barry Alvarez will be coaching the Rose Bowl.

Last edited by Crafton: 12-05-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 09:39 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Someone please tell me Big Ben is playing this weekend.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:00 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Someone please tell me Big Ben is playing this weekend.
He's slated to start.

Closed Thread