HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Autumn Thunder: Child's Play 16 - The Revenge of Chucky Batch

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
A semi-interesting trade by the Pirates, acquiring LHP Andy Oliver for C Ramon Cabrera. Both guys are 40 man roster guys.

Oliver was considered a first round talent for a while in 2009 and wound up going in the 2nd round...but Detroit rushed him, stunting his growth all the way. He was B-A's 87th ranked prospect heading into the 2011 season. He's likely to be a reliever in the Majors right now; Tim Williams compared him to Justin Wilson, but went on to say that he'd rate Wilson higher just because of Oliver's control being even more erratic.

Cabrera is nothing special, but he's put up solid numbers while playing an important position (catcher). There are concerns about him being able to stay at the position in the Majors and he's a slap-hitting catcher with catcher speed (which is to say he has none). I've seen Cabrera as a journeyman AAA-type with a chance to be a mediocre back-up in the Majors, but he has an impressive resume for a guy who just turned 23.

FWIW, Oliver signed after the draft for $1.495 million. Cabrera was an unhyped signee out of Venezuela.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-05-2012, 10:12 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

vCash: 500
All I saw about Oliver was "power arm". What kinda power are we talking about? And is that behind his control issues?

Old
12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
All I saw about Oliver was "power arm". What kinda power are we talking about? And is that behind his control issues?
He throws a mid-90s fastball, which is very impressive for a lefty. The problem is that power arms tend to be inherently erratic without proper teaching/training/skill/whatever...and the Detroit rushed him horribly. He was skipped directly to AA (and put up respectable numbers), but was jumped to AAA after only 77.1 innings in the minors and then to the Majors after only 53 in AAA. At the end of the day he spent his 24 year-old season entirely in AAA without a call-up.

I know the desire to see your shiny new toys as quickly as possible...but this is the risk you run when you do that. Detroit worked a Top 100 prospect down to the point where he would be traded for a no-name catching prospect two years later.

He's more depth and he's certainly an interesting prospect to follow. His upside is far higher than that of Cabrera's...but he may well only last a season in the system if he doesn't show improvement.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
DJ Spinoza

Haven't seen it officially confirmed yet, but reports are rolling over twitter that Grilli will be back.

Edit: nevermind, now there's a quote from Grilli saying that he's not yet made a decision.

Edit #2: now Jon Heyman weighs in with the official news: Pirates re-sign Grilli. My initial gloss on this is that it's a good move--he's arguably the most valuable pitcher in the bullpen, and they needed to retain him. I'm also assuming this means the end of Hanrahan.

Edit #3: LOL, never trust Jon Heyman. I give up.

Last edited by DJ Spinoza: 12-06-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Spinoza View Post
Haven't seen it officially confirmed yet, but reports are rolling over twitter that Grilli will be back.

Edit: nevermind, now there's a quote from Grilli saying that he's not yet made a decision.

Edit #2: now Jon Heyman weighs in with the official news: Pirates re-sign Grilli. My initial gloss on this is that it's a good move--he's arguably the most valuable pitcher in the bullpen, and they needed to retain him. I'm also assuming this means the end of Hanrahan.

Edit #3: LOL, never trust Jon Heyman. I give up.
As was reported on Twitter, a watched Grilli never cheeses.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:44 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
NFL on ESPN @ESPNNFL
Steelers announce QB Ben Roethlisberger will start against San Diego on Sunday after missing 3 games due to a shoulder injury.
https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/276788439456808960

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Chargers are firing their coach and GM at the end of the year:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...hargers-seaso/

Old
12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
Chargers are firing their coach and GM at the end of the year:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...hargers-seaso/
<shocker>

better late than never

Old
12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
CollegeFootballNews ‏@ColFootballNews
Awards so far ... In case you missed it. Te'o: Bednarik, Walter Camp. Manziel: Davey O'Brien. Bilitnikoff: Marqise Lee. Thorpe: Banks.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:14 PM
End of Line
Human After All

I'm just waiting for E!SPN to tell us Te'o is the greatest CFB player of all time, despite not even being the best LB in the country.

There are about 4 players who fit that mold. Archie Griffin, Chris Spielman, Tim Tebow, and Charles Woodson.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Iggy Smalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
I'm just waiting for E!SPN to tell us Te'o is the greatest CFB player of all time, despite not even being the best LB in the country.

There are about 4 players who fit that mold. Archie Griffin, Chris Spielman, Tim Tebow, and Charles Woodson.
Just wait until Manziel declares for the NFL draft in a few years.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Stop watching ESPN if you don't want to hear recycled garbage, it's that simple.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:34 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Stop watching ESPN if you don't want to hear recycled garbage, it's that simple.
That's the problem. There's no unbiased CFB talk on TV. The only one that comes is the programs on BTN.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Wisconsin AD on Chryst.

Quote:
"I wouldn't think it would be right for him to leave after one year. I wouldn't feel right, and I don't think it would be appropriate for me to hire him back after I asked someone to do me a favor and help him get that job," Alvarez said Thursday. "So Paul's going to stay at Pitt."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-at-pittsburgh

Old
12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post

I have to throw in a guy largely forgotten nowadays but was one of the most dominant forces in college football history:

Hugh Green - 460 tackles and 52 sacks in 48 career games for a Defensive End!

Old
12-07-2012, 09:42 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I have to throw in a guy largely forgotten nowadays but was one of the most dominant forces in college football history:

This. He was voted 2nd in Heisman Trophy losing to George Rogers in 1980. Highest ever for a defensive player until Woodson won it.

Last edited by sniugneP: 12-07-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old
12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
AgentM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
This. He was voted 2nd in Heisman Trophy losing to George Rogers in 1983. Highest ever for a defensive player until Woodson won it.
Just looked up his stats and see that Te'o has 427 tackles in 50 games as a linebacker. Insane that Green put up 33 more in 2 less games from the defensive line. That's a combination of showing how Green is an all time great and Manti has put up good but not special numbers for his position. How is this guy a Heisman finalist???

Old
12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Just looked up his stats and see that Te'o has 427 tackles in 50 games as a linebacker. Insane that Green put up 33 more in 2 less games from the defensive line. That's a combination of showing how Green is an all time great and Manti has put up good but not special numbers for his position. How is this guy a Heisman finalist???
Because more and more, college football is a hype-fest that is whipped up by the media. Mostly ESPN.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:32 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
He also got 24 forced fumbles, 4 interceptions, 22 pass deflected. Pretty impressive for defensive end.

Was there more dominant defensive end than Hugh Green at college level? I can't think of any.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Because more and more, college football is a hype-fest that is whipped up by the media. Mostly ESPN.
Yeah I realize that, but it's just insane how people are just sheep to what ESPN says and don't form their own opinions. Don't get me wrong, I like Te'o. Hell I think he'd look pretty good in the Steelers defense and would be happy if they drafted him. But the best college football player this year? Ehhhhhh no

Old
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
UnrealMachine

I can't just sit back while the greatest college football player of all-time is being ignored. I gotta do something about it:

Old
12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I hope San Diego disappears this week and throws in the towel for the season if the overhaul will happen. But I think they will play for their coach. FOR whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
This and this and this and this. The worst network ever. They are a machine... but I feel one day we will have multiple outlets for sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
In an environment full of liars and people leaving organizations when they promise to fix 'em... kudos to this man. That is a ballsy thing to say and I'm proud he stood up with some ethics/values in this. Great job.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:22 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:

One the most dominant players ever. The best LB ever has to be Chris Spielman. Off the top of my head he had 188 tackles and 6 INT's in one season. Heisman finalist.

Over the past 10 years, Te'o comes nowhere near the likes of;

-James Laurinaitis: 375 tackles (159 solo), 24.5 TFL, 13 sacks, 9 INT, 4 FF. 3x All American, 2x Big Ten DPOTY, Nagurski/Butkus/Lott Award winner

-A.J. Hawk: 394 Tackles (196 solo), 41 TFL, 15 sacks, 7 INT's, 3 FF, 13 FR. 2x All American, Lombardi/Lambert Award, 6th in Heisman Voting Sr year.

-Patrick Willis: 218 Tackles (160 solo), 21.5 TFL, 8 sacks, 1 INT, 3 FF, 2 FR. 1x All American, SEC DOPTY, Lambert/Butkus Award Winner

Old
12-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
<shocker>

better late than never

Old
12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
tough times for Cincy. no ACC invite and now Tennessee pilfers their coach.

Closed Thread