HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Kris Beech, power forward?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2005, 05:59 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Kris Beech, power forward?

Wow...The kid has racked up a lot of points but also a lot of PIMs...

2004/2005 Wilkes-Barre 48 10 42 52 +21 121
2003/2004 Wilkes-Barre 53 20 25 45 +15 97

What gives? Is he a dirty player or what?

Old
02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Reilly311

lol, please WATCH a hockey player before calling him anything.

Old
02-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo

Try stupid !!

Most of those PIMs, are from stupid bone head plays. Other than the PIM, he's been awesome for us.

Old
02-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
He's a good, solid player who decides to slash a guy needlessly every 10 minutes.

Out of those 121 penalty minutes 100 of them had to be pointless slashes behind the play.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-08-2005, 06:54 PM
CRUNK JUICE

Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:

I just wanted to echo what has been previously stated in this thread and add that he doesn't really play a power forward game (i.e. grind out his points, go to the net hard, etc.). He's much more of a playmaker.

Old
02-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Zoo

I agree..

Has not a powerforward, he's a playmaker. He's got good size 6,2 215lbs, can layout some good hits and works hard infront of the net. Needs to work on his skating and dump penaltys.

Old
02-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Vlad The Impaler

When younger, I was hoping he might develop a slight power game. But it hasn't been the case. I haven't seen him this year but based on everything else so far, he doesn't look like he'll be a physical presence.

His development has been a downer for me. I thought he had many tools, a nice upside and could be farther ahead by now.

What does he look like this year? On track to be a NHLer?

Old
02-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
lol, please WATCH a hockey player before calling him anything.
He didnt call him anything....he asked....thats what the question mark means Einstein

Old
02-08-2005, 07:30 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Old
02-08-2005, 07:33 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Okay, so the guy is undisciplined which is why he has all those PIMs minutes?

Old
02-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Robert Paulson*

Quote:
Okay, so the guy is undisciplined which is why he has all those PIMs minutes?
No he's disciplined, but he just needs to work on his temper a bit when it comes to using his stick.

Old
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Robert Paulson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
When younger, I was hoping he might develop a slight power game. But it hasn't been the case. I haven't seen him this year but based on everything else so far, he doesn't look like he'll be a physical presence.

His development has been a downer for me. I thought he had many tools, a nice upside and could be farther ahead by now.

In the games I've[listened] to (thank you FSN for not showing a SINGLE game), he has seemed to be a real playmaker for us. He's pouring out assists like crazy. Not always playing on the top line either.

He's got the most hope of becoming an NHLer out of he, Sivek, and Lupaschuk (Jagr deal), so he had better get and keep his act together.

Old
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
CRUNK JUICE

Quote:

Never really saw or heard much about him before the Pens acquired him (other than that he and Brendl were really lighting up the Dub. I was hoping for more of a Ron Francis type player with better skating, but so far his skating (like Francis) has been one of biggest draw backs (that, and as mentioned above, his really stupid tendancy to slash opposing players behind the play, in front of the ref, late in the game when we have a one goal lead (or deficit). But I digress).

I agree with you on his tools and his point totals, which would be even more impressive if not for an abysmal start, are indicative of his talent.

Is he NHL material? I would say yes. But it may not be with the Pens. If Malkin and Salmonnson develop, he'll be behind them on the depth chart and it's likely we'll get another impact forward whenever the next draft happens (hopefully Crosby), so he better learn to play wing FAST. Additionally, we have a PLETHORA of players better suited to 3rd and 4th line play than Beech at every forward position.

So to make a long story short, yes, I think the NHL is in his future (he already played a full season once). It just may not be with the Pens.

Old
02-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
He didnt call him anything....he asked....thats what the question mark means Einstein

Holla!

Old
02-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Lionel Hutz

Sure seems he has taken a big step this year.

Old
02-08-2005, 09:47 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:

I wouldn't say so.

I had high hopes for Beech when we acquired him. That was back in my first year or two of really following hockey (I was 13 or 14), and I had kind of heard of Beech.

He kind of has the tools to have a slight power game like you say, but he just doesn't do it with any regularity in the NHL. He's been a typically good AHL player, except he has very little discipline.

To succeed in the NHL, he needs to be more physical, to put it simply. He has the talent, but isn't the type of player who can avoid physical play and make all kinds of set ups. I think that he gets away with it a little more in the AHL, but it won't fly in the NHL.

I don't really have any NHL hopes for him. But if he is to succeed in the NHL, IMO he will have to initiate contact and score goals and set up people in high traffic areas.

From what I've seen of him in the NHL, he isn't and doesn't show many signs of being that kind of player.

Old
02-08-2005, 10:18 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

He also was insanely easy to bump off the puck in the NHL, if I'm remembering correctly.

Old
02-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
I wouldn't say so.

I had high hopes for Beech when we acquired him. That was back in my first year or two of really following hockey (I was 13 or 14), and I had kind of heard of Beech.

He kind of has the tools to have a slight power game like you say, but he just doesn't do it with any regularity in the NHL. He's been a typically good AHL player, except he has very little discipline.

To succeed in the NHL, he needs to be more physical, to put it simply. He has the talent, but isn't the type of player who can avoid physical play and make all kinds of set ups. I think that he gets away with it a little more in the AHL, but it won't fly in the NHL.

I don't really have any NHL hopes for him. But if he is to succeed in the NHL, IMO he will have to initiate contact and score goals and set up people in high traffic areas.

From what I've seen of him in the NHL, he isn't and doesn't show many signs of being that kind of player.
I agree...

Although I feel the 3rd line centre spot is his next season to lose. If Beech is gonna stay in pittsburgh he would have to move to the LW. Like MKN said we have players who fit the 3rd and 4th line centre spots better than Beech. Guys like Talbot, Endicott, Stone, Bartschi and Eaves .

He needs to work on his skating, channel his aggression better, so some consistency game in game out, and IF he does he could be a handy NHL player.

Old
02-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt
He also was insanely easy to bump off the puck in the NHL, if I'm remembering correctly.
He was pretty thin back then, if I not mistaking he weight in at 6,2 175lbs. He is now 6,2 215lbs and alot stronger on the puck, but he lost a step in the process.

Last edited by Zoo: 02-08-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old
02-09-2005, 04:47 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
When the Pens first got him, I was hoping that he'd be a Keith Primaeu kind of player... Right now I'll be happy if he'll be a consistent 40pt player in the NHL...

Old
02-09-2005, 03:32 PM
The Old Master

i realy think his best shot to make the team is to move to wing. he needs to wake up and stop taking dumb pent. i thought he would do better this year [allow he's not doing bad] he needs to start putting the puck in the net. and stop taking dumb pent. it seems he's making a liveing on his wingers putting the puck in the net for him. which wont work in the nhl. and did i say he has to stop takeing dumb pent.
his skateing is not as bad as some seem to think he just gets lazy and takes dumb pent.

Old
02-10-2005, 04:13 AM
CRUNK JUICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt
Yeah, but he was also a LOT smaller back then. He's added a lot of muscle since those days and knocking him off the puck is not nearly as easy as it used to be.

Old
02-10-2005, 04:17 AM
CRUNK JUICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master
i realy think his best shot to make the team is to move to wing. he needs to wake up and stop taking dumb pent. i thought he would do better this year [allow he's not doing bad] he needs to start putting the puck in the net. and stop taking dumb pent. it seems he's making a liveing on his wingers putting the puck in the net for him. which wont work in the nhl. and did i say he has to stop takeing dumb pent.
his skateing is not as bad as some seem to think he just gets lazy and takes dumb pent.
I agree, he needs to score more goals, but he was drafted as a pass first kinda guy and that's what he is. He's got a decent shot, which he doesn't use enough, but like a lot of young playmakers he's still learning the game. HOPEFULLY given enough time, he'll figure out that shooting when you have a good oppurtunity can help your team a lot more than looking around to set up Oullett.

Give him time. There's another playmaking prospect who was drafted in very high slot in our system (some Russian kid, I believe) and doesn't shoot enough either. Give them both time. They'll figure it out.

Old
02-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

He's chippy. Definitely not a powerforward unless he's redefined his game from his Hitmen days (unlikely).

Old
02-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Send a message via AIM to Seabass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
He's chippy
...when he's pissed off.

Closed Thread