HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 04:04 PM
GamingGiant

vCash: 500
Unbelievable twist.

6 minutes late, agent error, and Dumervil is a free agent.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
this is gonna cost us big.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:12 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
this is gonna cost us big.
Yeah. The cap hit is going to hurt.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

As a person who isn't a Bronco fan this is hilarious.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Bonzai12

Just a random thought in all of this, because I negotiate contracts for a living -

In this deal, the Broncos obviously had the MOST to lose here. It was a reduction in the player's salary, and they were on the hook for the deal unless something got done. So why were the Broncos not the ones to counter-sign the agreement? In fact why wouldn't the team be the one to counter-sign the agreement EVERY single time?

(by counter-sign, I mean that the Broncos would be the last to sign the agreement - every time I send out a contract for my company to a supplier, we give them two copies of the deal to sign...they sign the agreements and then we sign both agreements and give them a copy)

People are harping about the use of a fax machine, but I can't believe you'd let an agent sign the deal last. They should be the first signature on the paper. This would have given the Broncos 100% control of the timing of the agreement.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
avalanchuck

As I understand it the Broncos didn't get Elvis' signature until 7 minutes past the deadline. I'm assuming they were the ones to send it on to the league... so I'm assuming they were going to countersign and send it but they had to cut him before the the deadline instead.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140

Old
03-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Bonzai12

But was the release before or after 2PM? That's my question. The media is making it sound like it was after the 2PM deadline.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:45 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
As I understand it the Broncos didn't get Elvis' signature until 7 minutes past the deadline. I'm assuming they were the ones to send it on to the league... so I'm assuming they were going to countersign and send it but they had to cut him before the the deadline instead.
Sounds like Dumervil's agent dropped the ball.

Quote:
According to a source, both parties reached agreement at 3:25 p.m. ET on the restructured contract. But the team did not get a fax from Dumervil's agent until 4:06 p.m. ET, so it had to release him, according to the source.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Bonzai12

Ok so now a reporter on TheFan is saying (and swears by it) that Dumervil was cut at 1:59 and that we took a $4M salary hit. Broncos have not talked to Doom since this happened, and the belief now is that Dumervil will have to take $4M or less to be with the Broncos this year. He is a free agent.

Agent reportedly only has two clients - Dumervil and Travis Henry. Take that as you will. haha.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
avalanchuck

Shannon Sharpe thinks the agent for Dumervil tried to pull a fast one on John Elway not realizing he graduated from Stanford with honors & an Economics degree.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope this gets worked out with Doom, but I can take solace in the fact they have back up plans and have been fantastic so far.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:33 PM
anleva

Result is $4.869 million in dead money and no Elvis.

If we can find a defensive end with Elvis production at 3.131 M it's a wash for 2013 for what the revised deal was. Good luck with that.

Elvis was seriously overpaid. Too bad him and his agent only accepted that at 1:25 PM instead of 30 minutes earlier. That and if only Sullivan didn't make a clerical error and have to re-do it in the last minutes.

Last edited by anleva: 03-15-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Bonzai12

I can't see any way that Dumervil comes back, even if he wanted to. He would have to agree to some deal that was almost all signing bonus and pretty much zero guarantee. His agent royally $*$*@(@(! him

Old
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
anleva

Quote:
I can't see any way that Dumervil comes back, even if he wanted to. He would have to agree to some deal that was almost all signing bonus and pretty much zero guarantee. His agent royally $*$*@(@(! him
My head hurts from all the math, but I saw this post from another place and it seems like it could be a good solution if all sides just wanted to make the original deal right.

Quote:
IMO, this is a lot of smoke without a fire. It is possible that this was a conscious effort to get Elvis out of the deal because they found a better deal. But if it was just a fax snafu then they can fix it without any issue. I am gonna simplify the numbers a bit and assume that the prorated signing bonus amounts are 1.6 per year instead of 1.623. The following works just as well with the full values.

This gave Dumervil a potential cap hit of 13.6 million in 2013. They had planned to redo his deal to pay 8 million this year for a cap hit of 9.6 million (a savings of 4 million). Because the deal did not get done, they had to take a hit of 4.8 million this year but this also took 1.6 million off the books for 2014 and 2015.

So they just have to offer him a deal with a 4.8 million signing bonus over 3 years to put those future obligations back in place. This would add 1.6 million to the cap this year to the 4.8 million in dead money, bringing it to a total of 6.4 million. Add in a 3.2 million salary this year while setting the other two years salaries the same as the orginal reworked deal. This makes his cap hit the same 9.6 million this year while Elvis still gets paid the same 8 million this year and there are still the same 1.6 cap obligations on the book for 2014 and 2015.

No harm, no foul.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:16 PM
anleva

Quote:
In the meantime, Dumervil is a free agent, and Magid said his cell phone "has been blowing up" by calls from interested teams. However, two sources close to the situation said Dumervil wants to get his paperwork fiasco fixed and return to the Broncos.
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz2NfHsK9hn

Old
03-15-2013, 11:29 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
Fingers crossed that is true, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:07 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
Shannon Sharpe thinks the agent for Dumervil tried to pull a fast one on John Elway not realizing he graduated from Stanford with honors & an Economics degree.
I think Shannon is spot on with this one. I think Dumervil's agent was trying to pull a fast one, because he was pissed that his client was asked to take a pay cut. You can't tell me in this day and age of technology that either A. the fax was having issues going through or B. his agent wasn't aware of any particular deadline and wasn't rushing to get a deal done.

The agent knew that his clients deadline was 2PM that is why he sent the fax 6 minutes late, so he could make the claim that it was technologies fault. What he wasn't planning on was the Broncos being on top of their game and knowing full well that if they didn't have anything in writing by 1:59PM that they had no choice but to cut him.

Bush league move by the agent, Dumervil should fire him for this one, because going into the offseason he had a 12M contract, then he was ok with re-structuring for a 8M contract and now he has no guarantees all because his agent thought he was smarter than an NFL GM, and thought he could pull a fast one on the Broncos and Elway.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I think Shannon is spot on with this one. I think Dumervil's agent was trying to pull a fast one, because he was pissed that his client was asked to take a pay cut. You can't tell me in this day and age of technology that either A. the fax was having issues going through or B. his agent wasn't aware of any particular deadline and wasn't rushing to get a deal done.

The agent knew that his clients deadline was 2PM that is why he sent the fax 6 minutes late, so he could make the claim that it was technologies fault. What he wasn't planning on was the Broncos being on top of their game and knowing full well that if they didn't have anything in writing by 1:59PM that they had no choice but to cut him.

Bush league move by the agent, Dumervil should fire him for this one, because going into the offseason he had a 12M contract, then he was ok with re-structuring for a 8M contract and now he has no guarantees all because his agent thought he was smarter than an NFL GM, and thought he could pull a fast one on the Broncos and Elway.
Elvis was in Miami, agent was somewhere I can't remember, and the Broncos were of course in Denver, which made for some pretty nasty logistics in terms of faxing from one place to another in less than half an hour. It's quite possible that the agent simply screwed up or technology simply failed him. It's ridiculous in this day and age that a multibillion dollar entity like the NFL exists in the age of digital scanning, wi-fi, and cloud computing and still relies on freakin' FAX MACHINES when it comes to things as important and time-sensitive as this.

Bottom line, I think Elvis waited too long and his agent just plain dropped the ball. Apparently the Broncos even asked Dumervil's agent to send a cell phone pic of the signed contract, and he didn't respond. Reportedly Elvis texted friends that he was coming back, so he's likely furious.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Bonzai12

I wonder if Freeney will take $4M., or even Osi

Old
03-16-2013, 11:08 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Elvis was in Miami, agent was somewhere I can't remember, and the Broncos were of course in Denver, which made for some pretty nasty logistics in terms of faxing from one place to another in less than half an hour. It's quite possible that the agent simply screwed up or technology simply failed him. It's ridiculous in this day and age that a multibillion dollar entity like the NFL exists in the age of digital scanning, wi-fi, and cloud computing and still relies on freakin' FAX MACHINES when it comes to things as important and time-sensitive as this.

Bottom line, I think Elvis waited too long and his agent just plain dropped the ball. Apparently the Broncos even asked Dumervil's agent to send a cell phone pic of the signed contract, and he didn't respond. Reportedly Elvis texted friends that he was coming back, so he's likely furious.
I don't think the form of media would have made any difference in this situation. Because it just would have been, "my scanner was having issues." I work in a law office and actually find that faxes tend to be a bit easier/more reliable than scanners, and I'm younger and understand scanners more. People tend to botch scans more than they do faxes.

I think you kind of elude to the fact that Elvis was being stupid and waiting too long, but honestly I think his agent was acting alone and was trying to look out for himself, he only has two clients. And when you're taking cuts of contracts and your main client is taking a significant pay cut then so are you. Obviously Elvis has plenty of money and probably isn't concerned about the pay cut, but the agent might be. I just don't think that there is anyway that in this day and age that this scenario would happen, like you said cell phone pics etc., without someone purposely trying to pull something.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:45 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Wales just kicked Englands ass to win the Six Nations. Wow! 30-3, I thought this Wales would've won this game, but not in such a dominating performance.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
I wonder if Freeney will take $4M., or even Osi
It would surprise me to see whomever the Broncos sign get a 4 mill salary and a 3-4 mill signing bonus to offset.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:36 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
It would surprise me to see whomever the Broncos sign get a 4 mill salary and a 3-4 mill signing bonus to offset.
Makes sense but to erase/reverse the 4.8 million in dead money brought on by the Elvis contract via a 4+ million signing bonus you would probably need to sign a 3 year contract and the DE's left are too old and risky for a 3 year contract. Could have probably justified that with Bennett (27) or Avril (27) or Kruger (27) but not for Freeney (33) or Osi (31). Unfortunately Bennett, Avril and Kruger are now signed. Wish they would have just jumped on those guys early instead of dragging things on with Elvis. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Wales just kicked Englands ass to win the Six Nations. Wow! 30-3, I thought this Wales would've won this game, but not in such a dominating performance.
Love it! Wales was my pick for the win and they're my 2nd favourite team in the tournament after Ireland.

Closed Thread