HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 01:09 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
I honestly have no idea how anybody can be a diehard fan of baseball, I seriously do not see it.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I honestly have no idea how anybody can be a diehard fan of baseball, I seriously do not see it.
No kidding. Once hockey season ends every Spring, I basically don't watch sports on TV until NFL preseason.

And it's not just us, either. I don't have a single friend who has a kid who plays baseball, and my kids' high school has to scrape together enough kids to get just 9 of them out there every game. They literally have maybe 1 kid on the bench when they're in the field. It's a fading sport, without a doubt.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I'm interested to see what happens when NBC turns on their EPL coverage.

If EPL had a summer time schedule and 2-3 franchises in the US, it would overtake baseball. Get the southern and central Americas, Mexico, and the US in it. You'd have a serious sport on your hands.

As much as I hate soccer, I do think it's the one true sport that could market internationally. Every country in the world already has a soccer base, and the game is so brutally simple that the education is out there. As exciting as the NFL is, fans across the world are just not educated to it yet - something that will take possibly decades to accomplish.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

If EPL had a summer time schedule and 2-3 franchises in the US, it would overtake baseball.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
You could say the same thing about ANY sport not just Baseball.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:16 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
I'm interested to see what happens when NBC turns on their EPL coverage.

If EPL had a summer time schedule and 2-3 franchises in the US, it would overtake baseball. Get the southern and central Americas, Mexico, and the US in it. You'd have a serious sport on your hands.

As much as I hate soccer, I do think it's the one true sport that could market internationally. Every country in the world already has a soccer base, and the game is so brutally simple that the education is out there. As exciting as the NFL is, fans across the world are just not educated to it yet - something that will take possibly decades to accomplish.
It would take generations for that to happen. Soccer is just not a popular sport in the 35+ crowd. Expensive tickets to games in general are hard to justify for the 23 year old recent college graduate with student loans. Much easier to justify to the 40 year old dad looking for a bonding experience with his 10-13 year old son. That 40 year old dad is interested in football, not soccer at this moment. When the millennials are predominately in their 40s we might see soccer being a top tier sport in the states.

IMO for soccer to be a real force in the US, football has to be taken down by the concussions.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:17 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
This... I feel the same way about soccer, cricket, basketball, and probably a few others.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Bonzai12

Just to refine my argument a little bit - there's no way soccer would take over the NFL here. I'm just saying if EPL franchises existed in the states, and the season ran during the summer months when the NFL was not in schedule, it would overtake baseball.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:32 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Just to refine my argument a little bit - there's no way soccer would take over the NFL here. I'm just saying if EPL franchises existed in the states, and the season ran during the summer months when the NFL was not in schedule, it would overtake baseball.
The 40+ demographic is really, really strong with baseball. Their problem is youth viewership/participation, not sales or viewership overall. It would take generations to overcome the built-in advantage that baseball has (by this I mean at least 20+ years).

Last edited by henchman24: 04-22-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old
04-22-2013, 03:35 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I hate throwball, but I can understand why people watch it.
I understand why people watch hockey.
I understand why people watch football.
I understand why people watch cricket.
I understand why people watch F1.
I understand why people watch Rugby.
I understand why people watch basketball.

I do not understand why anybody would be a diehard baseball fan.

Quote:
EPL wouldn't pass NFL by any means, but (I forgot who said it, forgive if you said it) don't be surprised if MLS one day takes over MLB. Consider how many illegal immigrants are crossing the boarder and for some retarded reason USA wants to get them rights, with those combined you will see a huge influx of Mexican football fans coming into the USA making the MLS grow with Baseball's best generation slow dying away by each and each year.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
I hate throwball, but I can understand why people watch it.
I understand why people watch hockey.
I understand why people watch football.
I understand why people watch cricket.
I understand why people watch F1.
I understand why people watch Rugby.
I understand why people watch basketball.

I do not understand why anybody would be a diehard baseball fan.
And I'm sure there are plenty of Die-Hard Baseball fans that couldn't understand how you could be a Die-Hard Soccer fan.

and no, Soccer will never over take any of the "Big 4" professional sports in The United States/Canada. You are underestimating Baseball big time and over estimating Soccer...especially MLS.

Hell, I'd say College Football and Basketball have a better chance to pass Baseball than Soccer if they haven't already.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
And I'm sure there are plenty of Die-Hard Baseball fans that couldn't understand how you could be a Die-Hard Soccer fan.

and no, Soccer will never over take any of the "Big 4" professional sports in The United States/Canada. You are underestimating Baseball big time and over estimating Soccer...especially MLS.

Hell, I'd say College Football and Basketball have a better chance to pass Baseball than Soccer if they haven't already.
This. I get into World Cup stuff now and again, but for the most part fútbol just bores the hell out of me. And the diving theatrics are simply too horrible for me to ignore.

I'm not as avid a baseball fan as I used to be, but still love taking in a game at Coors Field. I like baseball for different reasons than I love hockey--while hockey is intense and fast, baseball is leisurely (though there can be some intense moments of course). And nothing in sports IMO is cooler than the Grand Slam.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:04 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
This. I get into World Cup stuff now and again, but for the most part fútbol just bores the hell out of me. And the diving theatrics are simply too horrible for me to ignore.

I'm not as avid a baseball fan as I used to be, but still love taking in a game at Coors Field. I like baseball for different reasons than I love hockey--while hockey is intense and fast, baseball is leisurely (though there can be some intense moments of course). And nothing in sports IMO is cooler than the Grand Slam.
Nothing more 'American' than having some hot dogs and beer while taking in a baseball game during the dog days of summer. The environment that a baseball game has is like no other sports event in the world. Not better or worse than others, just different.

Personally baseball is far down my list of sports I enjoy watching (only a few spots ahead of soccer), but it is still fun to go to a couple of games a year and have some beers.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:09 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

For me, there is also no better sound in the world to take a nap too than the crack of the bat and the background chatter and play-by-play of baseball over the radio. I haven't spent nearly enough time in my hammock "listening" to a baseball game the last few years.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I am European so maybe I will never understand about the great feeling of a spring day with a glass of lemonade and a hotdog watching 3 hours of fat guys hitting balls.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
anleva

Baseball is not at the top of my list by any means, but I do enjoy watching games by my favorite team. But for maximum enjoyment you really experience it differently than most other sports.

It really is not a sport to watch with the level of 100% attention you would for something like football or hockey. It's really something that is on in the background while you hang out at home or at the park on a hot summer day.

If you are there at the park it's more about drinking beer, eating, chatting with friends and checking in on the game every now or then. If you are watching at home it's on in the background while you doze in and out of a nap, do house or yard projects or whatever. Not really something you give 100% attention to with the possible exception of if your team makes it to the post season the focus goes way up.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Bonzai12

To get an understanding of why Americans love baseball, you have to understand our society – we celebrate everything with high fat/calorie food. When you’re young and you have birthdays, you have birthday cakes. When you do well at school or in a sport, your parents take you out for ice cream. When it’s a holiday and the family is together, we make enough food for an army and devour it until we’re so fat we have to take a nap. As Americans, we make a connection between “good things” and eating crappy food. The reverse psychic then takes over – we go to the American Baseball Park and eat hot dogs, fried food, and drink loads of beer…..At the end of the day, we feel “good”.

I honestly don’t think anyone goes to the ballpark any more to actually watch baseball. I’d be shocked if anyone on this forum actually sat down and watched more than 80 games in full length during a season. 162 games is just way too damn much, and the number of games will never go down. If they did, teams would have to jack up ticket prices. Which they won’t do, because then the game actually turns into a sport more than a social bar/restaurant scene. Baseball’s niche is that the price and games are so diluted that it’s a good place for fans to get out and about. If they increased ticket prices to be on par with the NFL, they’d lose their *** in ticket sales.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
I am European so maybe I will never understand about the great feeling of a spring day with a glass of lemonade and a hotdog watching 3 hours of fat guys hitting balls.
Exactly. Also a great reason we love our version of football so much. Football actually has more downtime than baseball, but it's the downtime that allows us to get up and grab more stuff to shove down our gullets. That's why we have the uniquely American practice of tailgating don'tchaknow. The only reasons football eventually overtook baseball as our national pastime is because it was so much better suited for television and gambling.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I like baseball a lot.

No, really. It's fun to watch. I think there's a certain drama to it that is fundamentally accentuated by the pace of the game.

But, at heart I think baseball is fun because it's fun to watch the skill level of the players. I know I'll catch flak for it, but baseball is an incredibly hard sport to play and probably requires more work to get good at than any other sport that I can think of.

no, seriously.

It really is entertaining to watch some of these guys work. Especially pitchers, I'm getting to the point where I'm going through my comcast listings every few days to see if I get the Tigers games when Verlander pitches. Dude is incredible and you get to see the talent level in baseball more than any other team sport, save for maybe basketball.

I'll throw out there I have a baseball game going most days during the summer, when I can. I'm not always paying full attention, but I've usually got at least one eye on it, especially if the Rockies are playing.

If I'm not busy, (which is less often these days) I'll sit through a whole Rockies (or braves) game at least a couple times a week, usually depending on who is pitching and how close the game is.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

To be fair, I'll throw out there that I like and watch practically all sports, so I may not be the most objective judge of how good a sport is. I usually have a game on of some sort every single day at my house.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 562
Considering I played baseball all my life until my junior year in HS, I'm a big baseball guy. I love the strategy that's involved in this game. I understand the strategy and thought process before every pitch and those things intrigues me. I also love the stats nerd in baseball, but I could see why people consider it boring.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:41 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Basketball is more boring than baseball in my opinion. No neutral-zone control, a ridiculously high chance of scoring on any given play, and the fouls, God the fouls are horrible. Soccer is boring for being too far in the opposite direction of each aforementioned point, except the fouls. I think the statistics of baseball are more interesting than baseball itself, since there's so little emotional payoff in any given baseball play. Football would be a far better sport if there was a way to eliminate commercials and/or hurry up the play and/or extend the duration of any given play; I like watching football but it is absurd that the sport is six seconds of action per minute. MMA is pretty fun to watch, I've gotten more into it over the past six months but still don't understand most of the moves and strategies. Tennis is alright once or twice a year, same for horse racing. I've yet to find a motor sport I enjoy watching, unless monster truck rallies count, and I'd rather watch a blank screen than Nascar.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
Considering I played baseball all my life until my junior year in HS, I'm a big baseball guy. I love the strategy that's involved in this game. I understand the strategy and thought process before every pitch and those things intrigues me. I also love the stats nerd in baseball, but I could see why people consider it boring.
If you eliminated all the chaw spitting and cup adjusting you'd have something.

This is a game that I went to that I found aesthetically pleasing. Got done in under 3 hours and the Twins pitcher made an error trying to hold the runner close to the 1st base (a hair pulling waste of time).

I think Olympics sports during off years might make in-roads on the summer sports scene.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Bonzai12

Baseball does have one thing going for it - I seem to recall that ESPN conducted some studies and found that hitting a baseball was one of the most complex and difficult routine actions out of all of sports. The ability of these guys to hit curveballs, fastballs, and knuckleballs is amazing. I think a lot of us take it for granted.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

NFL Network rated the Broncos best and worst picks ever.

Best:
Rick Upchurch, KR/PR
Terrell Davis, RB
Lyle Alzado, DE
Randy Gradishar, LB
Jay Cutler, QB
Steve Atwater, S

Worst:
Tim Tebow, QB
Curley Culp, DT
Tommy Maddox, QB
Steve Sewell, RB
Maurice Clarett, RB

Observations:
  • Shannon Sharpe is criminally missing off the best list.
  • Curley Culp was a HOFer. A great pick but an awful trade.
  • You put Culp on there for the trade, Alphonso Smith deserves a spot on that list because he was a awful pair of trades and an awful pick.
  • Gerald Perry deserves to be on the worst list, likewise Ted Gregory.
  • Man Reeves sucked!
  • You could argue plenty of other worst picks, but this team's draft history...

Closed Thread