HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Rhaego

vCash: 500
Or maybe they won't.

Jesus this game has been ridiculous. Golden State isn't this good.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:03 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

What a terrible game. My god being a Denver sports fan has really sucked lately. Broncos go out early vs the Ravens, Avalanche blow, and now the possibility of getting bounced in the 1st round for the Nuggets.

Weak game 1 but got the W. GS goes bananas and Karl panics and doesn't use McGee or Fourny. Going into Oracle tied SUCKS.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I expect the Nuggets to come back from this. Manimal looked horrible but that won't last long. Chandler should have been pulled in the second quarter. He was useless the entire game.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:36 AM
anleva

I would expect Golden State to cool down a bit offensively, their shooting percentage was insane. But Nuggets defense was so broken, so awful. The open looks they kept giving Curry was a head scratcher. I wonder if it is fixable between games.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

This should validate the Broncos not going DB early:

Old
04-24-2013, 09:05 AM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I just don't get the thinking of taking a CB in the first round. Pure luxury given they have DRC, Champ and Harris. Are they going to draft someone to that would play over those 3? Sure Champ is getting old but so is Manning and need to look to give the team the best chance of winning now. CB would be for the future, but the future is now.

Safety I could live with as it could make a difference this season. Getting a true ball hawk at S would help the entire secondary. However, as I said it is a very deep safety draft and you can get a very good safety in a later round.

Gotta go DE, DT or ILB. I don't think DT value will be there at 28. I think there would be value at DE and ILB at 28. For max value at positions of need the picks would go something like DE, ILB/DT, DT/ILB, S/RB, RB/S....

Old
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
I just don't get the thinking of taking a CB in the first round. Pure luxury given they have DRC, Champ and Harris. Are they going to draft someone to that would play over those 3? Sure Champ is getting old but so is Manning and need to look to give the team the best chance of winning now. CB would be for the future, but the future is now.
Exactly my thinking. I get that Champ wasn't good versus Baltimore and he may have lost a step, but he has a ****load of steps to begin with. He's a better player today than Robert Ayres or Terrence Knighton. I think he's at least as good as ray Crocket was in '97.

I'm sure Kiszla latched onto that line of thinking to troll a Hall of Famer.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Rockies win, sure would have been nice to win two from Atlanta.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Rockies win, sure would have been nice to win two from Atlanta.
Enjoy the wins while they're plentiful. It won't last long.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Enjoy the wins while they're plentiful. It won't last long.
I've been watching the Rockies for a long time, I understand that the bottom will fall out eventually.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Bonzai12

Actually hoping the Broncos take Marcus Lattimore with a late round selection. Who better to put him with than McGahee and have him learn for a year before taking over.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:17 AM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Actually hoping the Broncos take Marcus Lattimore with a late round selection. Who better to put him with than McGahee and have him learn for a year before taking over.
I have a feeling he ends up in San Francisco. They have so many draft picks they can afford to take a early flier on Lattimore and stow him away on IR. I think he will go earlier than the Broncos could afford to take him.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Bonzai12

You're probably right. I could see NE doing the same thing.

I have a good feeling about Elway though and drafts so far. The guy is obviously somewhat selling the future for the present (as he should with Peyton) but I think you're going to see him take at least 1-2 fliers on a RB/QB that could be a huge part of the team going forward. I think he definitely understands that at talent positions it sometimes takes these guys 1-2 years to learn and contribute. Looking back at the Osweiler pick, Brock would definitely be a first rounder this year. I dunno but I'm pretty happy with Elway thus far.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:58 AM
anleva

It will be interesting to see what Elway and the Broncos do now that they have gotten Brian Xanders out of the room.

I really did not like their draft last year at the time. They outsmarted themselves trading down and thinking Doug Martin would still be available and lost out on him. I thought they overvalued Wolfe and drafted him too high, thought he has turned out to be a solid and versatile player. For a team in win now mode and a small windows to win I did not like picking Osweiler, but agree it could work out very well in the future and I trust Elway knows QBs.

They grabbed Hillman, who is a decent situational player, but overall they didn't make enough impact on the present team with their picks and their immediate needs in last years draft. I think Xanders was part of the problem though and think it will look much different now.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what Elway and the Broncos do now that they have gotten Brian Xanders out of the room.

I really did not like their draft last year at the time. They outsmarted themselves trading down and thinking Doug Martin would still be available and lost out on him. I thought they overvalued Wolfe and drafted him too high, thought he has turned out to be a solid and versatile player. For a team in win now mode and a small windows to win I did not like picking Osweiler, but agree it could work out very well in the future and I trust Elway knows QBs.

They grabbed Hillman, who is a decent situational player, but overall they didn't make enough impact on the present team with their picks and their immediate needs in last years draft. I think Xanders was part of the problem though and think it will look much different now.
That assumes they were even looking at Martin.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
anleva

Quote:
That assumes they were even looking at Martin.
They were. There were a few articles and sports radio discussion suggesting the Broncos were very interested in Martin, thought they could trade down, pick up an extra pick, and still get them and that Elway was not happy when didn't fall to them..

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/1...have-been.html

Quote:
While zeroing in on Doug Martin in this year’s draft, the Broncos traded away a late-first-round pick, thinking the running back from Boise State would still be there when they picked a few spots later. Their trading partner: Tampa Bay, which used the Broncos’ pick to take Martin 31st in the draft.
Quote:
“He was very high on our board,” Broncos coach John Fox said. “He’s a guy that I know our personnel people liked, our coaching staff liked. His success doesn’t surprise me whatsoever.”

Old
04-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
They were. There were a few articles and sports radio discussion suggesting the Broncos were very interested in Martin, thought they could trade down, pick up an extra pick, and still get them and that Elway was not happy when didn't fall to them..

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/1...have-been.html
I follow that up with: who cares. The perceived need for a running back among the fan base is overblown. It's a pass first league and the shelf life of running backs in miniscule.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
anleva

Quote:
I follow that up with: who cares. The perceived need for a running back among the fan base is overblown. It's a pass first league and the shelf life of running backs in miniscule.
Once again you miss the point entirely. You might want to sit out responding to posts for awhile.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Once again you miss the point entirely.
Your point being that Elway has undervalued and overvalued certain players in his draft dealings? I still don't care. He's pulled four starters and five guys that have seen a decent amount of situational play in two drafts. He's valuing guys just fine. I see no measurable that indicates otherwise.

Quote:
You might want to sit out responding to posts for awhile.
I'll do no such thing, but thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Huis Clos*: 04-25-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
anleva

Quote:
Your point being that Elway has undervalued and overvalued certain players in his draft dealings? I still don't care. He's pulled four starters and five guys that have seen a decent amount of situational play in two drafts. He's valuing guys just fine. I see no measurable that indicates otherwise..
No, not my point, looks like you whiffed again

Old
04-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I understand why you don't want Mandzukic at Arsenal, but he would get some SERIOUS playing time here.
Bayern is a perfect fit for Mario, he loves Germany, his sister lives there, they play a strong south-north game with little circling around the defensive zone, he's allowed to roam free all over the pitch, he presses the defense with his insane energy and he reaps benefits of playing with great wingers like Robben, Shaqiri, Ribery and Lahm coming in from behind. Plus he and Mueller look like a match made in heaven every tiem they're together on the pitch.

I doubt you can find a striker so willing to sacrifice his body and his stats to do everything for the win, well maybe save for his good friend and fellow resident of Slavonski Brod Ivica Olić. The number of times he breaks up the opposing attacks, the number of times he positions himself to make a timely clear out of the box (just look no further than the game against Juventus, he headed the ball outside of the box on pretty much every corner kick Juve took in the game), him running down the opposing players when his team loses the ball etc is just amazing. I know he drove Chiellini mad both at the Euros and now in Champions League.

The only teams which could fit him as well as Bayern are quite ironically the BvB and Barca in case that they try to play a more straight forward game.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
No, not my point, looks like you whiffed again
Oh no I got it, you don't think they got enough of an impact from the 2012 draft class for a team that went 13-3. At the moment that's a silly premise to begin with since it usually takes several years to fully evaluate a draft class and I'm not even interested in discussing it. I was simply responding to your smaller point about the position (value) where Wolfe was drafted and Martin wasn't. To make it easier for you next time I will edit out the points I'm not interested in discussing. Mea culpa.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:57 PM
anleva

Quote:
Oh no I got it, you don't think they got enough of an impact from the 2012 draft class for a team that went 13-3. At the moment that's a silly premise to begin with since it usually takes several years to fully evaluate a draft class and I'm not even interested in discussing it. I was simply responding to your smaller point about the position (value) where Wolfe was drafted and Martin wasn't. To make it easier for you next time I will edit out the points I'm not interested in discussing. Mea culpa.
Now you are just flailing away with wild haymakers. Sooner or later one has to connect right?

Old
04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Who else is going to catch the screen passes?

Old
04-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Now you are just flailing away with wild haymakers. Sooner or later one has to connect right?
Your posts lack substance and so do your lame retorts.

Closed Thread