HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To purgatory with the lot of them

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Laches

vCash: 500
To purgatory with the lot of them

It's all but over. I don't know that I've ever seen a more disgusting display of collective stupidity. The sport of hockey will never, ever recover from this. Forget the fact that most of the US doesn't give a rat's posterior that there's no NHL season, you've got Ken Dryden talking about how many Canadian fans are realizing that they've been watching hockey out of habit and not out of passion.

I can't believe this bunch of dunderheads couldn't come up with a way to compromise on this. They never even came close. We've had month after month of the same conversation:

Owners: We want cap.
Players: We'll never accept a cap.
Owners: But we really want a cap.
Players: We'll never, ever accept a cap.
Owners: How about this cap?
Players: No. How about this? This doesn't have a cap?
Owners: No cap, no way.
Players: But we'll never accept a cap, not in a million, jillion years.
Owners: Cap.
Players: No Cap.

That office full of chimps in the Super Bowl commercials could have produced a more intelligent, creative and civil dialog.

I say eff them all. Part of me would really love to see them play to completely empty buildings when they finally get back on the ice.

Just one fan's rant.

Old
02-10-2005, 11:46 PM
newf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
It's all but over. I don't know that I've ever seen a more disgusting display of collective stupidity. The sport of hockey will never, ever recover from this. Forget the fact that most of the US doesn't give a rat's posterior that there's no NHL season, you've got Ken Dryden talking about how many Canadian fans are realizing that they've been watching hockey out of habit and not out of passion.

I can't believe this bunch of dunderheads couldn't come up with a way to compromise on this. They never even came close. We've had month after month of the same conversation:

Owners: We want cap.
Players: We'll never accept a cap.
Owners: But we really want a cap.
Players: We'll never, ever accept a cap.
Owners: How about this cap?
Players: No. How about this? This doesn't have a cap?
Owners: No cap, no way.
Players: But we'll never accept a cap, not in a million, jillion years.
Owners: Cap.
Players: No Cap.

That office full of chimps in the Super Bowl commercials could have produced a more intelligent, creative and civil dialog.

I say eff them all. Part of me would really love to see them play to completely empty buildings when they finally get back on the ice.

Just one fan's rant.
well put. i've been a huge fan of the game all my life, and its gotten to the point where i don't want to hear another word unless its game on. i have lost all patience with the comments by the players (brainwashed) and owners (inflexible) and i am infuriated with the latest comments where each side can't even agree on what the other just said. i feel like a kid who's parents are getting divorced. i don't care anymore.

Old
02-11-2005, 01:53 AM
Burberry Manning

It's like a nuclear standoff. There is one issue that seperates the two of them and no one will budge.

Old
02-11-2005, 07:20 AM
True Blue

Neither side seems to see the forest beyond the trees

Apparently the collective thought is that the hockey fans are sheep and will just flock back becuase we all will be so badly starving for hockey. I'm with you Laches. There is a part of me as well that would love to see the looks on their collective faces when the game is being played to completely empty buildings when they finally get back on the ice.
Not only is there Drydens' comment, but how about the Canadian poll that said that 40% of the fans do not miss the game? This is not the US, but Canadam where the sport originated and is most loved. How can these morons just ignore what is going on in front of their eyes?

Old
02-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Levitate

and the argument against that is that "hockey fans are the most loyal fans, so they'll be back and the lockout won't hurt that much"

bleh, does anyone else feel just a little bit taken for granted?

Last edited by Levitate: 02-11-2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old
02-11-2005, 09:18 AM
303Joe

Good post Laches..

I can believe these 2 sides are this stupid not get something done. I'm sure they all agree the sport was in trouble in several areas prior to this nonsense. This lockout regarldess of who you side with is just plain greed from both sides. You can bet that when the sides finally agree they won't be spiltting 2.1 billion that figure will proabably be somewhere around 1.2-1.2. The owners are taking advantage of how great hockey fans are with their they'll be back when we play attitude. I for 1 will not be back. I'll get me season refund when the season is cancelled and that will be it. This is coming from a diehard fan who has had season tix since 1992. Just had enough of this crap.

Old
02-11-2005, 09:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe
The owners are taking advantage of how great hockey fans are with their they'll be back when we play attitude. I for 1 will not be back.
I honestly do not know. I will not watch one second of replacement players. That much I do know. Judging from the poll done on this site, plenty of others feel the same way. IF the real players play next year, I will probably tune in, but I will not give them one dime towards tickets. If they cancel any part of next year, I really do not know if I will be back. If they cancel the entire season, at that point, does it matter? It will have been 2 years w/o the NHL. My time and money have been better spent.

Old
02-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Fletch

The icing on the cake was...

the NHL saying, OK, we'll agree to a luxury tax but if X happens, which would almost immediately happen, it'll revert back to a cap. At least the NHL put a creative spin on it all.

It's beyond frustrating. There will be no NHL hockey this season. There may be no draft. Noone knows exactly when or if the NHL will resume. Noone knows what form the NHL will take - scabs or what-not. The ending of the season only does one thing and that it to ensure we'll know nothing anythime soon.

In other news the Post talk about the significant operating hit MSG will take as a result of there being no season, despite the Rangers losing so much money. Not new news as we've been saying that all along.

Old
02-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe
I can believe these 2 sides are this stupid not get something done. I'm sure they all agree the sport was in trouble in several areas prior to this nonsense. This lockout regarldess of who you side with is just plain greed from both sides. You can bet that when the sides finally agree they won't be spiltting 2.1 billion that figure will proabably be somewhere around 1.2-1.2. The owners are taking advantage of how great hockey fans are with their they'll be back when we play attitude. I for 1 will not be back. I'll get me season refund when the season is cancelled and that will be it. This is coming from a diehard fan who has had season tix since 1992. Just had enough of this crap.
I'm with you Joe. Of course, I won't see the money I shelled out in June, July and August until April (another reason why these guys can go pound salt!) but I'm done with being a season ticket holder. One of the reasons why I loved this sport was because these people were down to earth. They seemed like regular people instead of the superstars you see in other sports. But that isn't the case anymore.

Old
02-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Levitate

Quote:
In other news the Post talk about the significant operating hit MSG will take as a result of there being no season, despite the Rangers losing so much money. Not new news as we've been saying that all along.

this is what some people need to understand when they start saying "the owners were losing money during the season, the lockout doesn't hurt them at all, it helps them!"

not every team is like the rangers but i'd bet most if not all of the teams in the league have something similar going on...it definatly hurts the owners to have the league locked out for a very long time.

it hurts both sides, it hurts the fans...basically it ruins the NHL to keep up with the lockout for such a long time

Old
02-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Fletch

A lot of teams do Levitate...

but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that the league is healthy financially. As you're talking about teams that are hurting and have business that are impacted by the lockout, it highlights how Bettman screwed up, in my opinion, in his positioning of the need for a salary cap (Bettman once again, in my opinion, showing his lack of marketing savvy). It's not about $224 million in losses (or it shouldn't be at least). It's about a range of $24 million to $80 million in payroll. The teams losing the most money can actually afford it. But this is about teams that can't afford $30-35 million payrolls and thus have a harder time competing for talent. Granted some of these teams shouldn't exist, but that's a topic for another debate.

Old
02-11-2005, 12:58 PM
True Blue

Very well said, Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that the league is healthy financially. As you're talking about teams that are hurting and have business that are impacted by the lockout, it highlights how Bettman screwed up, in my opinion, in his positioning of the need for a salary cap (Bettman once again, in my opinion, showing his lack of marketing savvy). It's not about $224 million in losses (or it shouldn't be at least). It's about a range of $24 million to $80 million in payroll. The teams losing the most money can actually afford it. But this is about teams that can't afford $30-35 million payrolls and thus have a harder time competing for talent. Granted some of these teams shouldn't exist, but that's a topic for another debate.
That about sums it up

Closed Thread