HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 6th: John Gibbons is back, can Josh Towers be far behind?

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Well, on one hand he was a cancer to a good chunk of the clubhouse, on the other he was friends with Zaun. I can't remember, but what was their previous history? Weren't they brought in from the same place?
Wait, Lilly, Hillenbrand, Bush and Thomas were a good chunk of the clubhouse? Two of them were the biggest egos in the league, and the other two were so bad that they deserved to be benched.

Everybody else from my understanding got along with Gibby, and quite a few really enjoyed him as a manager.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:58 AM
topched

Quotes from Johnny Mac this am on the radio per the Star:

“We loved playing for him,” former Jays’ infielder John McDonald told Sportsnet Fan590 radio Tuesday morning. “He was always fair.”

McDonald played under Gibbons in 2006, a season marked by controversial clashes between the manager and some of his players, including Shea Hillenbrand and Ted Lilly

“I wouldn’t call it controversy,” McDonald said. “I thought it was a manager taking control. He wasn’t going to take crap from anybody, whether it be on the field or in the clubhouse.”

McDonald said Gibbons always held players accountable.

“He cared so much to make sure everybody was on the same page going forward.”

Old
11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 72
Some guy on twitter said

"People that hate this move are bandwagon fans, and know nothing about baseball"

Can't say I completely disagree, Gibbons will help this team tremendously

Old
11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Wait, Lilly, Hillenbrand, Bush and Thomas were a good chunk of the clubhouse?
ever hear of "if there's smoke theres fire"?

Old
11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Gike Bagpipe
Haemorrhaging syrup

Quote:
Well, on one hand he was a cancer to a good chunk of the clubhouse, on the other he was friends with Zaun. I can't remember, but what was their previous history? Weren't they brought in from the same place?
I remember that game against TB, why did he pull Marcum w/ a no hitter? It's not like he was struggling, he had Tampa's number all game. I really don't like this move, Gibbons seems like he believes that he is the straw that stirs the drink as opposed to the players. IMO he is just too full of himself. Dave Bush, Shea Hillenbrand, Ted Lilly and Frank Thomas, who I wonder will he start with this time? Ask yourself how exactly would he have dealt with RR's struggles last season? By benching him?

Old
11-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Some guy on twitter said

"People that hate this move are bandwagon fans, and know nothing about baseball"
Bandwagon fans like every move, no matter what. Real fans criticize, scrutinize, and want the best for the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
I remember that game against TB, why did he pull Marcum w/ a no hitter? It's not like he was struggling, he had Tampa's number all game. I really don't like this move, Gibbons seems like he believes that he is the straw that stirs the drink as opposed to the players. IMO he is just too full of himself. Dave Bush, Shea Hillenbrand, Ted Lilly and Frank Thomas, who I wonder will he start with this time?
He had him on an arbitrary pitch count or something ridiculous. (78 pitches, lolwtf)

Old
11-20-2012, 10:08 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

does this mean marcum wont come back?

Old
11-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
I remember that game against TB, why did he pull Marcum w/ a no hitter? It's not like he was struggling, he had Tampa's number all game. I really don't like this move, Gibbons seems like he believes that he is the straw that stirs the drink as opposed to the players. IMO he is just too full of himself. Dave Bush, Shea Hillenbrand, Ted Lilly and Frank Thomas, who I wonder will he start with this time? Ask yourself how exactly would he have dealt with RR's struggles last season? By benching him?
Okay, and Gibbons even said himself that was a mistake, and that he has learned from his last tenure, and from being with KC.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
found an interesting article from 2006
Pretty sure everything there is directly related to poor situational hitting (and that its from 2007). Its not sustainable to ground into double plays 50% of the time in those situations which is shown by the fact the Jays ended up hitting .276/.348/.439 that year with RISP.

Not to mention they were within 4.5 games of the WC at the start of September which marks one of four times since 1993 they were within five games of a playoff spot in September ('98, '00, '08). Definitely weren't an also-ran that year at least by Jays standards.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:12 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i love that clip when gibbons chases lilly into the clubhouse LOL

Old
AndMat*

Here is some More GREAT news....
Mike Cormack
#bluejays president Beeston says ticket prices will not be going up for 2013.

Old
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
I'm not even a Jays fan and I think this is a good move for you guys.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Bandwagon fans like every move, no matter what. Real fans criticize, scrutinize, and want the best for the team.
Not necessarily. Bandwagon fans came out after the mega-deal with Miami. They expected a 5 star manager to be hired, but it's John Gibbons, thus they won't like it. Real Baseball fans see what John Gibbons brings.

This is a good hire by the team, certainly better then Jim Tracy, Jim Riggleman, Don Wakumatsu, and Brian Butterfield.

John Gibbons is excellent with the bullpen, and runs smart. He will let Boni, Reyes, Davis etc run, but he will run them at the right time, unlike Farrell. He keeps his players in line, yet has a likable trait among his players (MacDonald just said they loved playing for him).

Bottom line is, Baseball people (execs, insiders etc) like the hire.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:

He had him on an arbitrary pitch count or something ridiculous. (78 pitches, lolwtf)
If you can't see this as the best option for the team then I don't even know what to say.

Are you an advocate for Jim Tracy or something?

Old
11-20-2012, 10:16 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:

You have a very selective memory I see...

Marcum was recently promoted from the bullpen, and the no-hitter was his debut start. He was on a 70 pitch count due to not throwing starters innings in quite some time.

Of course, it's easy to ignore that, take gibbon's decision out of context and try and paint him as a fool. You're entitled to not like him but your arguments are dishonest.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Scion

vCash: 241
AA was on the fan 590 after the press conference, and had a couple of interesting things to say:

AA: "I think the reports of Josh Johnson being unhappy or potentially leaving are false, if anything we want him to be here for a long time."

AA: "I am not looking to flip any of the players we acquired in this trade."

Old
11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
I dono about this as a baseball move, but as a fan who loved his energy back when he was in blue, It's great that we have a refreshing face back.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:18 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
AA was on the fan 590 after the press conference, and had a couple of interesting things to say:

AA: "I think the reports of Josh Johnson being unhappy or potentially leaving are false, if anything we want him to be here for a long time."

AA: "I am not looking to flip any of the players we acquired in this trade."
including buck ?

Old
11-20-2012, 10:19 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

"my house is bigger than your house"

Old
11-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Pretty sure everything there is directly related to poor situational hitting (and that its from 2007). Its not sustainable to ground into double plays 50% of the time in those situations which is shown by the fact the Jays ended up hitting .276/.348/.439 that year with RISP.

Not to mention they were within 4.5 games of the WC at the start of September which marks one of four times since 1993 they were within five games of a playoff spot in September ('98, '00, '08). Definitely weren't an also-ran that year at least by Jays standards.
The sad thing is that alot of writers and fans alike criticized Gibbons for the Jays poor situational hitting. Despite the fact that these numbers were unsustainable, as you alluded too, and more importantly had absolutely nothing to do with John Gibbons. The manager doesn't go up to the plate and take at bats, the players do.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i love that clip when gibbons chases lilly into the clubhouse LOL
Haha yeah same.

I like when Lilly is going to walk towards the dugout, and he stops, turns around and says "you're a effin a-hole" just for good measure. What a p-rick.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
including buck ?
AA didn't specify any specific players, so I would assume so.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

One Positive; John Gibbons LOVES to argue calls. Something Players like, and is enjoyable to watch

Old
11-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Scion

Quote:
Gibbons had Marcum on a pitch count because he was making the transition from relief pitcher to starting pitcher. Stop being so deliberately misleading.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:23 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
The sad thing is that alot of writers and fans alike criticized Gibbons for the Jays poor situational hitting. Despite the fact that these numbers were unsustainable, as you alluded too, and more importantly had absolutely nothing to do with John Gibbons. The manager doesn't go up to the plate and take at bats, the players do.
And so backwards.

The hitters you have hit for low average, so bunt a guy over, give up an out and let the next guy with an equally low average try to score him.

Gibbons based on what he said at the presser and by all reports, he's a guy who overseas the clubhouse but doesn't manage it. He'll let the players take control. With the vets we have in place, this is the way it should be.

Closed Thread