HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 6th: John Gibbons is back, can Josh Towers be far behind?

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 01:55 AM
HappyGilmourr

vCash: 500
and honestly there literally no one else... everyone good was retired and the rest were guys no one was sold on like tracy riggleman, acta

Old
11-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

I absolutely love this move.

He was a good manager who was made scapegoat due to the team's overall mediocrity which was more a result of J.P Ricciardi and the players he brought in.

He will bring accountability and I'm very curious to see how he'll do with this stacked squad.

11-20-2012, 01:57 AM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Great move after great move; this team is heading in the right direction. It's time to reasonably start getting excited.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:00 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
They're all behind Tim Johnson though.
I was thinking about him, but I didn't pay attention to baseball too much until good ol' Buck Martinez was the guy in charge.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:03 AM
DeputyMcLaren

I think this is gonna work out nicely, he'll hold everyone accountable for their actions.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:09 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Yeah, I'm the Blue Jays manager again. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 32 GP, 12-15-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
My vote would go to Carlos Tosca for that award, followed closely by second stint Cito Gaston. (I can't say anything about 1st stint Cito Gaston as I was too young to really know what was going on in the world)
Gibbons was under 500 in 3 of his 6 seasons, Cito was under in 1 of his 3 (on his second stint)

what's the beef with Cito here?

Old
11-20-2012, 02:31 AM
Scion

I really, really like this hiring, John Gibbons was a great tactical manager the last time around, and demands accountability from his players.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:34 AM
Tod29

Send a message via Skype™ to Tod29
This monster of an offseason has convinced me to contribute to this forum these Gibbons rumours was just icing on the cake, had to sign up.

Newfag reporting in

Old
11-20-2012, 02:34 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Gibbons was under 500 in 3 of his 6 seasons, Cito was under in 1 of his 3 (on his second stint)

Cito was a terrible tactical manager who made bizarre decisions in game on a regular basis. And two of those seasons were only partial years (not even amounting to a whole sesaon's worth of games between them.) With them in he was at .500. Take those two partial seasons out and he was like 13 games over .500 Which is more than you can say for most Blue Jays managers since the year 2000.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The only thing more unexpected would be if AA signs Hamilton and Greinke tomorrow, then puts on his sunglasses during the press conference and says "deal with it."

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
11-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Scion

Quote:
Yeah, but Hillenbrand was playing great & Gibbons was sitting him out of spite / personal reasons, which led to the dispute. It'd be better to have a manager who makes his decisions on facts and probability, not his gut.
Unsurprisingly this is completely inaccurate. Shea Hillebrand wrote, "this ship is sinking. Play for your contracts" on the club house wall, that is where the problems arose. Not to mention the fact that Hillenbrand was a poor locker room presence, and had a terrible attitude. Obviously the Jays management agreed with Gibbons because Hillebrand was sent packing shortly thereafter.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The only thing more unexpected would be if AA signs Hamilton and Greinke tomorrow, then puts on his sunglasses during the press conference and says "deal with it."
Watch that be the whole point of this press conference. At the end of it he will be like "and I will be holding another press conference tomorrow to talk about the Marlins trade, signing Melky and hiring Gibbons."

Old
11-20-2012, 02:42 AM
The Man in White

Wasn't a fan of Gibby the first time around. If I can remember, a lot of us had problems with his bullpen management.

One thing I'll give him credit for is his use of platoons.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Anyone is an upgrade over John Farrell as far as BP management goes. As far as I can remember, Gibbons was absolutely fine in his BP management.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in White View Post
Wasn't a fan of Gibby the first time around. If I can remember, a lot of us had problems with his bullpen management.

One thing I'll give him credit for is his use of platoons.
John Gibbons bull-pen management was phenomenal, he manages his pen by the numbers, and does not stick with relievers in high leverage situations just to show confidence in them.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:47 AM
Scion

The Jays were 27th, 30th and 25th in sacrifice bunt attempts in Gibbons' three full seasons. In addition, the Jays last effective platoon of Johnson/Cat was under Gibbons watch.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

I know the Blue Jays were also in the last half of the stolen base category under Gibbons but one has to keep in mind that the team was not fast to begin with. One has to think with all the weapons that will be available to him in Reyes, Bonafacio, Lawrie, Davis, he will implement more of a running game this time around.

I think judging how a manager was before is a poor way of going about things. Managers also learn from their past mistakes and make adjustments.

I think Gibbons was tactically sound and hence, he's a great addition to the team. A bold move by AA. You never know what to expect from him which is one of the reason I love this guy.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
My first reaction to this news is WTF... But I'll reserve judgement for the season.

AA's got an idea.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:46 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:

He was awful. I can't remember the specifics of the story exactly but the basics are this. A reporter asked him post game once why he left a certain batter in against a pitcher (same handed bat v same handed pitcher) instead of pinch hitting for him with a batter who was the opposite hand of the pitcher. Time has stopped me from remembering exactly who the players were.

Cito's reasoning that he gave the reporter were he had a history of being good against this pitcher. Look at the numbers.

So the reporter decided to do some research and look at the numbers. He found that this batter was something like 0 for 2 lifetime against this pitcher.

Another example was his placement of Travis Snider in the batting order and never moving him from the 9 spot. When he was struggling, he would say why would I move him, he's struggling. When he started to get hot, he would say something like why would I move him, he's on a hot streak and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that.

He was just lazy during his 2nd stint. He had Kevin Millar bat cleanup. Instead of shuffling the batting order he just placed Kevin Millar in the cleanup spot, replacing whoever was regularly in that spot. That's the kind of crap I'd do when managing in MVP Baseball 2005 because I was too lazy to change it. His reasoning was that everyone in the lineup would eventually hit cleanup anyways. Which doesn't maximize the use of your better bats in the slightest.

Again, I can't speak for Cito during his 1st stint as I was not old enough to know really what baseball was, but he was not a good manager during his 2nd stint. It was a good day in my opinion when he was given the cushy upstairs don't-come-anywhere-near-this-team job.

Edit: here's another good one: On June 1, 2010 radio broadcaster Mike Wilner got into an argument during a media scrum with Gaston about his field level decision making. Wilner detailed the confrontation on his blog. The Fan 590, Wilner's employer and a station of Blue Jays owner Rogers Communications, announced the following day he would not be covering the team for several days, presumably a suspension though The Fan 590 refused to state the reason.

When super-homer Mike Wilner of all people starts questioning anything Blue Jays, you know it's bad.

Last edited by tp71: 11-20-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old
11-20-2012, 06:53 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Any predictions on if any of the 2012 coaching staff will be brought back? Those that aren't in boston that is.

Acta as 3B coach? Do it AA

Last edited by jcollins: 11-20-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old
11-20-2012, 06:55 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Gregor Chisholm ‏@gregorMLB

I'll say this about Gibbons, he knows how to handle a clubhouse and I always thought he did a very good job managing the bullpen. #BlueJays
Thank god.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Very interesting. I still remember Ted Lilly tossing the ball down the third base line instead of handing it to him, and Shea Hillenbrand's nonsense. I always admired his use of the bullpen and platoons (Johnson - Catalanotto, most notably). He certainly has a little more to work with this time around. Amazing to think he was only 4 games under .500 during 2008 when he was fired.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Stats01

When I first heard it was Gibbons I was like" what!!!" But after I think about it more I think this is a good hire. Gibbons has probably learned from his time in Toronto and being the bench coach in KC and the manager in AA. He knows the team, the city, I feel comfortable with this choice. I'd rather him than Wakamatsu

Old
11-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
We got Boomhauer back? Awesome!

Closed Thread