HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 02:54 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Those are all fair points. Like Sniper said, I ended up paying extra for assembly.

With everything I've learned about this stuff, though, I'll be sure to go the online part picker/personal assembly next time. I'm fairly comfortable I could do it now. Call me insecure and paranoid before,lol. But after seeing all the individual parts I picked out in store inside the case, something coalesced and I feel I can build one now with the right directions online.

Live and learn. And like you said, I'm just happy to have a good machine at this point.
Ya everything looks good. Again on the actual assembly side the only annoying part it dealing with the cables. Everything else fits together almost like lego.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:16 PM
SettlementRichie10

Oh, and by the way, my case has two fans in front and one in back, plus the mini fan heat sink that came with the AMD processor, so I should be good on cooling. The tower is on top of a desk with plenty of space around it, and right under an A/C vent, as well. Cooling shouldn't be an issue.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, my case has two fans in front and one in back, plus the mini fan heat sink that came with the AMD processor, so I should be good on cooling. The tower is on top of a desk with plenty of space around it, and right under an A/C vent, as well. Cooling shouldn't be an issue.
I hear a lot of people saying the Vishera chips run hot, but @ 4.2ghz my 6300 ran pretty cool even under full load. I have an aftermarket heatsink but running at stock settings with the stock heatsink, heat won't be a concern. Especially if they ran your cables the right way.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:53 AM
discordant concord

Does anyone have any experience with Mini-ITX cases, specifically the Bitfenix Prodigy?
I'm thinking about putting together one based off of an i5 3470 and gigabyte h77 itx mobo.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:31 PM
nmain37*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
Alright here is the computer I plan on building:

Let me know what you guys think:

Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $139.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $191.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K $226.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $57.49

Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ... $119.99

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $479.99

Grand Total: $1,436.43

I might go with cheaper graphic card but my end goal is the EVGA.

I will also end up going with two SSD'S or a bigger one later on. Only thing that will take up memory is games as I don't download anything.
I ordered everything except the video card about four days ago. I did end up changing the SSD to the Samsung Pro mentioned earlier and also went with the pro version of the board.

All in all it cost me about $1175. $150 for shipping ouch!

My main question is to choose between 64 and 86 done by choosing which windows operation system version disc? I would purchase Windows 8 64 bit? Also $200 for Windows 8? FU Microsoft

Old
04-21-2013, 06:35 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
I did end up changing the SSD to the Samsung Pro mentioned earlier and also went with the pro version of the board.

I ordered it all except video card four days ago. My main question is to choose between 64 and 86 done by choosing which windows operation system version disc? I would purchase Windows 8 64 bit? Also $200 for Windows 8? FU Microsoft
64 bit definetly. Also why Windows 8?

Old
04-21-2013, 06:47 PM
nmain37*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
64 bit definetly. Also why Windows 8?
I don't know figure I may as well get all caught up. Seems to have some cool features.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:56 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Get the OEM version, much less than $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416550

Quote:
Originally Posted by discordant concord View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Mini-ITX cases, specifically the Bitfenix Prodigy?
I'm thinking about putting together one based off of an i5 3470 and gigabyte h77 itx mobo.

Never used one myself. Got a specific concern about it?

Old
04-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Got a specific concern about it?
Yes. It's m-ITX.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:20 PM
nmain37*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Get the OEM version, much less than $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416550

Is the oem version any different? If so what is the difference between the,?

Old
04-21-2013, 09:30 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Quote:
It's been a while, but IIRC the $200 version includes both 64 and 32 bit. That's completely unnecessary.

The other thing the $200 version has is transferability to other computers and direct support from Microsoft.

The former is useless in practice because MS doesn't care if you transfer an OEM to a new system anyway. And the latter is also useless because if you are building your own system you can probably support yourself better than MS ever could.

Basically it's a good way to give MS another $100 for mostly nothing.

EDIT: Make sure to get the 64 bit as Lick mentioned.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:46 PM
discordant concord

Quote:
I would purchase Windows 8 64 bit? Also $200 for Windows 8? FU Microsoft
If you have a University email address or know someone that does you can get the win 8 pro student upgrade addition for about $70. I think if you install it twice it works. Otherwise there's a clean install hack walkthrough somewhere on the interweb.

Quote:
Regarding the M-ITX, well I am wondering if I need any extra cooling equipment. I won't be over clocking though, so it likely won't be a problem.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:50 PM
discordant concord

Quote:
Isn't the OEM version locked to the motherboard?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:13 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Quote:

Regarding the M-ITX, well I am wondering if I need any extra cooling equipment. I won't be over clocking though, so it likely won't be a problem.
Will be fine with stock settings.

Quote:
Isn't the OEM version locked to the motherboard?
Officially yeah, but pretty much everyone has activated OEM's on many PC's. MS doesn't care for the most part.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I've been thinking of changing my case away from the CM Storm Trooper to a Fractal Arc Midi R2. A bit smaller, more compact in terms of bulging (CM Storm Trooper is a bit bulgy), and lighter. If anyone has had any personal experience with it, let me know. I know the Trooper is still a very nice case, but it's kind of ehhhh now .

Old
04-23-2013, 01:22 AM
SettlementRichie10

Little worried I may have messed something up, but maybe I'm being paranoid. I loaded Windows 7 and did the initial installation. I immediately loaded my Netgear AC wireless adapter program off the installation CD it came with before loading the LAN driver on my motherboard. I'm not having connectivity issues or anything but after watching the Newegg tutorial I should have loaded the mobo drivers before doing anything, especially connecting to the Internet.

Again, not having any issues I can see, so should this matter?

A few more questions, because you guys are way better than this than I am.

1. I loaded all of my mobo and video card drivers off the disc my mobo/video card came with. Does this matter? Newegg suggests loading drivers for your mobo and video card off the respective manufacturer's websites, but I just did it off the discs each came with. If this does make a difference, is there anyway I can upgrade my mobo/vid card drivers?

2. I've loaded drivers for the motherboard and video card, gone through a thousand Windows updates, installed a basic anti-virus for the time being, and am connected to the Internet as we speak...anything else?

Old
04-23-2013, 02:02 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Little worried I may have messed something up, but maybe I'm being paranoid. I loaded Windows 7 and did the initial installation. I immediately loaded my Netgear AC wireless adapter program off the installation CD it came with before loading the LAN driver on my motherboard. I'm not having connectivity issues or anything but after watching the Newegg tutorial I should have loaded the mobo drivers before doing anything, especially connecting to the Internet.

Again, not having any issues I can see, so should this matter?

A few more questions, because you guys are way better than this than I am.

1. I loaded all of my mobo and video card drivers off the disc my mobo/video card came with. Does this matter? Newegg suggests loading drivers for your mobo and video card off the respective manufacturer's websites, but I just did it off the discs each came with. If this does make a difference, is there anyway I can upgrade my mobo/vid card drivers?

2. I've loaded drivers for the motherboard and video card, gone through a thousand Windows updates, installed a basic anti-virus for the time being, and am connected to the Internet as we speak...anything else?
The only driver that I personally ever do separately, is the video driver, but even then, for the most part, it's a "if it works, don't fix it" sort of thing. I use ATI and it took a couple versions before I got Crossfire working perfectly stable, and since then I've left it alone, only major update I did in about a year was because I upgraded from 7 to 8.

A video driver update may give a decent performance boost/stability though, for all the other networking/audio, etc, driver updates probably won't have a huge upside. My video cards are over 2 years old, so any current updates will have diminishing returns.

For all the rest, I just use Windows update, it just makes life easier. If I really want to get nit picky, I can use the Asus utils that came with my board, but still, I go by, it's it's not broke, don't bother, uptime and stability is more important to me, but YMMV.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:11 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

You are fine. There is no hard rule of what to install first really.

1. Disc drivers are fine, might be a little out of date but so what. Personally I'll run a driver that's working fine for years. If you do run in to problems though go for the new drivers.

2. Benchmark it

Old
04-23-2013, 02:27 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Usually on the video card website you can just update the newest driver pretty quickly.

Vid card drivers get updated quite often with tweeks for new games so it's usually a good idea to check on those every couple of months.

Although some games on steam have links that say there's a new driver for it. For example, when Bioshock Infinite launched Nvidia put out a new driver that increased Nvidia card performance for that game and a few others and it noted it on the Bioshock steam page.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:37 AM
SettlementRichie10

Things seem to be working just fine. In fact, refreshing Windows updates three or four times and then reviewing every update revealed I had in fact downloaded a NVIDIA driver update amid everything else. So I think everything's working fine there and even the video card is fully updated. Just did a quick speedtest.net run, as well, and pulled a 15ms ping, 65mbps dl and 19 ul. Pretty fast.

It's going to take me quite some time to really get the hang of using Windows again, but I'll get it down eventually. I've been living in the computer stone age for far too long.

Appreciate all the help, as always. BTW, posting from the new comp.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:17 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Things seem to be working just fine. In fact, refreshing Windows updates three or four times and then reviewing every update revealed I had in fact downloaded a NVIDIA driver update amid everything else. So I think everything's working fine there and even the video card is fully updated. Just did a quick speedtest.net run, as well, and pulled a 15ms ping, 65mbps dl and 19 ul. Pretty fast.

It's going to take me quite some time to really get the hang of using Windows again, but I'll get it down eventually. I've been living in the computer stone age for far too long.

Appreciate all the help, as always. BTW, posting from the new comp.
Excellent excellent. Test out them games.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:45 AM
SettlementRichie10

Just wanted to offer a quick update on the new system. Things are running fairly smooth. The system runs great and fast. I downloaded Steam the other day and downloaded Dragon Age Origins for $7.42 (!!!). Loaded it up and got to the main menu, everything was pixelated as hell, and I started to rage. Then I realized I can go into display settings and change it to the resolution on my monitor (1920x1080, 16:9) and it looked incredible. I know DAO is a little older but never have I seen a video game look that crystal clear and smooth. Consoles just don't hold a candle to that.

Anyway, played the game for about an hour or so and everything ran like a dream - no hiccups whatsoever.

Funny thing happened today, though. I've been organizing things on my hard drive before it gets too messy and tried to create a New Folder. Right clicked...but no option for a New Folder. Slightly perplexed, I just clicked the New Folder button in Windows Explorer and...nothing happened. For some reason, the registry key on my OS had either gotten deleted or corrupted somehow and I was unable to create a New Folder anywhere - in Explorer, on my desktop, nothing. After some googling I eventually found a registry code that I was able to save as a .reg file on my desktop and activate. It fixed the entire problem and I can now create New Folders - no issues. But it made me a little paranoid and worried as to what other registry issues I could possibly have. :/

All in all, things are going good, though. I was able to import my entire library from iTunes on another computer using a Home Sharing Network (thank god, over 4000 songs) as well as get a decent Rainmeter theme going. Rainmeter had a pretty high learning curve, but I eventually got the hang of it. Interestingly, though, I can't seem to access the actual coding for my skins, which is weird. Some of the skins I want to use require some alterations to their coding (like entering a weather code in a weather skin, for example) but everytime I select "Edit Skin" nothing happens. Perhaps I just need to close out the program and Run as Administrator, but I'm hoping it's not another registry issue like with the New Folder thing.

I bought both Bitdefender and CCCleaner right off the bat and they help with keeping the system running smooth. I've also downloaded Winrar which helped withdling Rainmeter skins. Any other strong recommendations? CCCleaner doubles as an Uninstaller, so I don't need anything else in that department, I don't feel. Bitdefender is an anti-virus, malware, spyware, adware and a firewall all rolled into one, which is nice, as well.

Thanks again for all the help and enduring my constant stream of uber-n00b questions.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:35 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Quote:
Just wanted to offer a quick update on the new system. Things are running fairly smooth. The system runs great and fast. I downloaded Steam the other day and downloaded Dragon Age Origins for $7.42 (!!!). Loaded it up and got to the main menu, everything was pixelated as hell, and I started to rage. Then I realized I can go into display settings and change it to the resolution on my monitor (1920x1080, 16:9) and it looked incredible. I know DAO is a little older but never have I seen a video game look that crystal clear and smooth. Consoles just don't hold a candle to that.

Anyway, played the game for about an hour or so and everything ran like a dream - no hiccups whatsoever.

Funny thing happened today, though. I've been organizing things on my hard drive before it gets too messy and tried to create a New Folder. Right clicked...but no option for a New Folder. Slightly perplexed, I just clicked the New Folder button in Windows Explorer and...nothing happened. For some reason, the registry key on my OS had either gotten deleted or corrupted somehow and I was unable to create a New Folder anywhere - in Explorer, on my desktop, nothing. After some googling I eventually found a registry code that I was able to save as a .reg file on my desktop and activate. It fixed the entire problem and I can now create New Folders - no issues. But it made me a little paranoid and worried as to what other registry issues I could possibly have. :/

Thanks again for all the help and enduring my constant stream of uber-n00b questions.
Kinda surprised your monitor didn't default to 1920x1080. But yeah that's what's called your native resolution. And you want to use that whenever possible in both games and on the desktop. First thing you gotta do when firing up a game is check all those settings.

Personally I wouldn't buy an anti virus, but probably not a bad idea for a self described "uber-n00b"

Far as the registry goes, it's possible CCleaner broke something. It does registry changes on occasion. Be careful when using it and always use the option it gives to back up.

Oh and you are supposed to benchmark everything
http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks...#available-now
http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Old
04-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Old
04-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Benny Lava

CCleaner is free isn't it? I've had it for years and I don't think I ever bought it.

Malwarebytes is always useful to have around. And HWMonitor is nice for keeping an eye on temps (and voltages if you ever overclock).

Closed Thread