HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 02:52 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
EDIT: Just realized I'm gonna have to re-do the thread for Haswell......

And the 7xx series too, which is rumored to be coming out soon. And even the next set of APU's in june. That's like actual work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot 3 View Post
Indeed

Last edited by SniperHF: 04-25-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old
04-27-2013, 01:59 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:

Score:

Min FPS:

Max FPS:

System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit

CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz (1895MHz) x2

GPU model:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 9.17.10.2867 (2112MB) x1

Settings

Render:
Direct3D11

Mode:
1366x768 fullscreen

Preset
Custom

Quality
High

Tessellation: Disabled
Most of me is impressed that it even ran at all.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:03 AM
SettlementRichie10

Thinking about installing some different/additional cooling fans. I've finally gotten into some higher end gaming (DLed and fired up Starcraft 2 for the first time tonight) played for about 20 minutes, took off my headphones to hear my fan going HARD. Opened up HWMonitor and saw my CPU temp was at 48c and my CPU fan was well over 3000 rpm.

Is this normal? I know the AMDs can run particularly hot but I'd rather sit on the safe side. I know that 48c isn't exactly danger zone territory, but it was a little alarming after only playing Starcraft 2 for 20 minutes - single player campaign at that. More than anything the fan noise was just absurd - woke up my wife from all the way upstairs.

Current cooling setup is just the stock CPU fan that came with the AMD FX8320 and the stock fans that came with the Carbide 400r case - two on the front bottom of the tower pulling air in, one on the top back of the tower pushing air out. I'm thinking of just purchasing new fans all the way around and installing them myself, plus possibly adding two on the side of the tower for my video card (GTX 660ti series).

Starcraft looked incredible, though, despite the noise. The game had low resolution default settings when I first loaded it up, though. Strange. I had to manually set the monitor resolution to 1920x1080 and ratchet everything up in game to high. I don't know why these games aren't picking up my system's natural graphic output off the bat.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:13 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Thinking about installing some different/additional cooling fans. I've finally gotten into some higher end gaming (DLed and fired up Starcraft 2 for the first time tonight) played for about 20 minutes, took off my headphones to hear my fan going HARD. Opened up HWMonitor and saw my CPU temp was at 48c and my CPU fan was well over 3000 rpm.

Is this normal? I know the AMDs can run particularly hot but I'd rather sit on the safe side. I know that 48c isn't exactly danger zone territory, but it was a little alarming after only playing Starcraft 2 for 20 minutes - single player campaign at that. More than anything the fan noise was just absurd - woke up my wife from all the way upstairs.

Current cooling setup is just the stock CPU fan that came with the AMD FX8320 and the stock fans that came with the Carbide 400r case - two on the front bottom of the tower pulling air in, one on the top back of the tower pushing air out. I'm thinking of just purchasing new fans all the way around and installing them myself, plus possibly adding two on the side of the tower for my video card (GTX 660ti series).

Starcraft looked incredible, though, despite the noise. The game had low resolution default settings when I first loaded it up, though. Strange. I had to manually set the monitor resolution to 1920x1080 and ratchet everything up in game to high. I don't know why these games aren't picking up my system's natural graphic output off the bat.
Dealing with noise, you'll have to isolate which fan is doing it. CPU fan at 3000 rpm seems high. The best thing to do might be to get an aftermarket cooler if you find out that's the noisy fan. If you can leave the game running you can put your hand on the fan and make it stop then see if the noise goes away.

Temps, 48c is fine for that CPU. And SC2 is a CPU intensive game.

You can use MSIafterburner to check the video card fan status. It will show a percent of speed from 0-100%.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
I just got a second 560 TI for free from a friend and am SLi'ing them.

If mine is stock 850 & 2052 and his is 900 & 2106 do you think I should match mine to his, his to mine or find a middle ground? I've comfortably overclocked mine to 925 before. 950 when **** starts going off the rails.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:54 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

I'd try it both ways. Both at 850 and both at 900. If the performance boost is negligible then just run 850 for less heat/stress. I suspect the performance boost will be negligible.

The 1gb VRAM would hold you back more than anything.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:24 AM
SettlementRichie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Dealing with noise, you'll have to isolate which fan is doing it. CPU fan at 3000 rpm seems high. The best thing to do might be to get an aftermarket cooler if you find out that's the noisy fan. If you can leave the game running you can put your hand on the fan and make it stop then see if the noise goes away.

Temps, 48c is fine for that CPU. And SC2 is a CPU intensive game.

You can use MSIafterburner to check the video card fan status. It will show a percent of speed from 0-100%.
Bought the Zalman CNPS10x Performa and installed myself (my how our boy has grown) and the noise issue is almost non-existent. I read a lot of good things about the Performa and it was fairly cheap at Fry's ($30). Booted up SC2 again today and played for about an hour. There was almost zero noise and HWMonitor reported a CPU temp of 50c. Also picked up the Logitech G510 keyboard and Razer Naga Hex mouse, so I'm pretty much set on this setup.

One thing I have been noticing (again in SC2) is some very noticeable screen tearing during play. I'm pulling anywhere from 80-100 FPS in-game (according to the game itself). I have my graphics settings on Ultra all the way around and a refresh rate of 60hz. Is this a proper setup with only a single GeForce GTX 660ti GPU? Screen tearing drives me insane. I've been trying to research vsync and whether to turn it on or off but I haven't made much progress in that department. Any tips here to prevent screen tearing? The GPU's drivers are up to date.

Again, system build is AMD 8320, Asus Sabretooth 990rx mobo, 8gb 1600hz RAM, and the above GPU.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
I've been trying to research vsync and whether to turn it on or off but I haven't made much progress in that department. Any tips here to prevent screen tearing? The GPU's drivers are up to date.

Again, system build is AMD 8320, Asus Sabretooth 990rx mobo, 8gb 1600hz RAM, and the above GPU.
go into the nvidia control panel
click 'manage 3d settings' on upper left hand side of screen
under the 'global settings' tab, scroll down to the bottom and select Vsync (Vertical Sync) = On
hit 'apply'

with that you should have vsync enabled globally ...which would apply to everything. games, video, etc.

it'll help keep GPU temps down as well as get rid of all your screen tearing.

myself, i typically just leave it enabled in the nvidia control panel like that.

Last edited by Zodiac: 04-28-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 01:45 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Bought the Zalman CNPS10x Performa and installed myself (my how our boy has grown) and the noise issue is almost non-existent. I read a lot of good things about the Performa and it was fairly cheap at Fry's ($30). Booted up SC2 again today and played for about an hour. There was almost zero noise
Good deal on that cooler. Should be running cooler than 50c though I'd think.

The stock AMD cooler must suck. I haven't had an AMD chip in quite a a few years. The stock intel coolers are awful.

Quote:
One thing I have been noticing (again in SC2) is some very noticeable screen tearing during play. I'm pulling anywhere from 80-100 FPS in-game (according to the game itself). I have my graphics settings on Ultra all the way around and a refresh rate of 60hz. Is this a proper setup with only a single GeForce GTX 660ti GPU? Screen tearing drives me insane. I've been trying to research vsync and whether to turn it on or off but I haven't made much progress in that department. Any tips here to prevent screen tearing? The GPU's drivers are up to date.
Try enabling Vsync.

Also you could play around with adaptive vsync.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...nology_review/

Though I don't know much about that one either.

Kind of a random point, but I have never ever witnessed actual screen tearing. Probably just not perceptive enough.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Try enabling Vsync.

Kind of a random point, but I have never ever witnessed actual screen tearing. Probably just not perceptive enough.

really? amazing ...cus i find screen tearing just so obvious and terrible looking that it just distracts the hell outta me.

ie ...here's a pic showing a couple of tear points ...

i can't take too much of that, so its vsync = always on no matter what for me. tearing is probably my biggest pet peeve when it comes to graphics ...i hate it with a passion. makes the image look like hell.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:10 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

I think we've had this discussion a few times

But yeah, never seen it. Or it's possible I assumed it was a glitch in the game engine and not screen tearing.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:16 AM
SettlementRichie10

Quote:
Good deal on that cooler. Should be running cooler than 50c though I'd think.

The stock AMD cooler must suck. I haven't had an AMD chip in quite a a few years. The stock intel coolers are awful.

Try enabling Vsync.

I read in a lot of places that the AMD stock coolers are pretty terrible. Small fan with short, straight blades and thus huge decibel levels.

Ambient room temp is around 74f. Also concerned that after only an hour of SC2 the CPU temp was listed at 50c. Perhaps I'm reading HWMonitor incorrectly, even though I don't know how that's possible. Or perhaps it's a case cooling issue? But the Corsair case I have has the CPU positioned directly in front of the back fan. I have airflow going directly from the right side of the cooler, through the cooler/CPU, right out the back fan.

Again, though, I've heard the AMD chips just naturally run hot, anyway. 50c isn't anything to get bent out of shape about, especially after a gaming session, but I figured it would be cooler, as well.

I need to download Speedfan. =/

Old
04-28-2013, 03:37 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:

Again, though, I've heard the AMD chips just naturally run hot, anyway. 50c isn't anything to get bent out of shape about, especially after a gaming session, but I figured it would be cooler, as well.

What kind of thermal compound did you use? The stuff that came with your cooler? If so what is it? Was it already on the heatsink or did you apply it? And how did you apply it if you did it yourself?

First thing I would do to drop the temps is get your cooler in a Push/Pull configuration by adding a second fan. I think your cooler supports this, check the manual.

I'd look at those two issues before messing with the case configuration.

EDIT: Are you using this thing?

Apparently that runs the fan slower/quieter. Try taking it off and see the difference.

Quote:
I need to download Speedfan. =/
I'm partial to Coretemp myself.

Last edited by SniperHF: 04-28-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 04:45 AM
SettlementRichie10

Lo and behold, I think I was reading HWMonitor incorrectly.

On HWMonitor there are sections for each part of my system: Motherboard, CPU, HDD, and GPU - in that order. Under the Motherboard section is listed a sub-heading titled "Temperatures" and underneath that, "CPU" and "Mainboard." The CPU temp under this heading is what I've reported going up to 50c.

Lower on HWMonitor is a listing for AMD FX-8320, which has never gone above 40c and is idling right now at 25c.

So pretty sure I just misread HWMonitor - I was reading the "CPU" listing underneath the motherboard section of HWM and not the AMD FX-8320 heading itself.

Not sure if the motherboard is supposed to run a little hotter, but again, think I was just reading things wrong.

Edit: Thinking those temps listed under the mobo section could be socket temps?

Old
04-28-2013, 04:49 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Paste a screen shot.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Benny Lava

Those are socket temps under the motherboard, which is supposed to be higher than the chip itself. Things do seem a little hot for stock settings though, even with the stock heatsink. My overvolted 6300 runs at those temps under 100% load.

Quote:
I think we've had this discussion a few times

But yeah, never seen it. Or it's possible I assumed it was a glitch in the game engine and not screen tearing.
Even in Bioshock Inifinite? It was almost unplayable for me without vsync on.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:34 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
Even in Bioshock Inifinite? It was almost unplayable for me without vsync on.
Yep. No tearing I could see.
Shutting off Vsync is on the list of "first things I do with a new game"

Now the gross ass bloom in Infinite nearly blinded me. Once I figured out how to INI edit that crap out it was much better.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Yeah, Vsync is a must for me too. I always see the screen tearing. Drives me nuts. My best friend is like you though Sniper. He can't see it or it doesn't bother him.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:25 AM
SettlementRichie10

Quote:
Paste a screen shot.
Just took this after computer has been active for the last three hours or so formatting a 500gb external HDD, to give you some context of the workload. CPU currently at 2%, RAM at 21%.

Attachment 63705

Last edited by SettlementRichie10: 11-04-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 12:30 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Just took this after computer has been active for the last three hours or so formatting a 500gb external HDD, to give you some context of the workload. CPU currently at 2%, RAM at 21%.
That's ice cool, Course 2% utilization is basically idle.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:31 AM
SettlementRichie10

Quote:
That's ice cool, Course 2% utilization is basically idle.
Do you see what I'm talking about, though? About a third down the window under the motherboard section is "CPU" and "Temperatures" and down further is the actual AMD FX-8320 section.

I was reading the Motherboard>CPU section when I was reporting temps of 50c, when I'm pretty sure that's socket temps.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:46 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:

I was reading the Motherboard>CPU section when I was reporting temps of 50c, when I'm pretty sure that's socket temps.
Yes, the way Benny described it was dead on.

I'm kinda surprised that it isn't reporting a per core temperature like Intel's do. Maybe HWmonitor doesn't support that for AMD CPU's.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:46 AM
SettlementRichie10

One more screen shot after approx 45 minutes of Starcraft 2, with a peak CPU usage of 30%:

Attachment 63715

Pretty sure I'll be fine as far as cooling issues are concerned.

BTW, manually turned on vsync and noticed zero screen tear - it was like night and day. However, my FPS dropped from approx. 80 pre-vsync to an average of 50 post-vsync. But I read that this is pretty normal with vsync and, honestly, the game looks and plays fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Not complaining.

Last edited by SettlementRichie10: 11-04-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 03:06 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
One more screen shot after approx 45 minutes of Starcraft 2, with a peak CPU usage of 30%:

Attachment 63715

Yeah, looks fine. Though SC2 is barely putting a dent in your CPU at only 30%.

If you are bored/curious, try Prime95 for 10 minutes or so to see how hot it will get running full tilt.

http://download.mersenne.ca/gimps/p95v279.win64.zip
From the Menu:
Options>torture test > In Place Large FTT's > Ok.

When finished- Test > Stop > Stop all workers.

Watch your CPU in task manager and HWMonitor while running it.
Make sure to shut it off when done or it will keep running.

Quote:
BTW, manually turned on vsync and noticed zero screen tear - it was like night and day. However, my FPS dropped from approx. 80 pre-vsync to an average of 50 post-vsync. But I read that this is pretty normal with vsync and, honestly, the game looks and plays fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Not complaining.
Yeah the average drop is perfectly in line. You are losing the times it's running 90 throwing off the average. But all the FPS dips will stay.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:

Attachment 63715

Your screen's refresh rate (most likely 60hz) and the frames your gpu is putting out don't always line up, and sometimes your gpu will put out a new frame before your screen has finished its refresh cycle. When this happens, you get part of one frame at the top of your screen and part of the next frame at the bottom. Vsync basically caps your framerate at a factor of 60, so that framerate and monitor refresh rate always line up and you never see any tearing. So yes, it's perfectly normal that your fps dropped, because that's exactly what vsync is supposed to do.

Closed Thread