HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2013, 12:47 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Good as any, personally I skipped that whole generation so my knowledge is pretty limited on the particulars.

Though I would definitely start over 100% by reverting to stock BIOS values. Save what you have now if it's stable in case you want to go back to it.

And probably play around with the airflow as Benny suggested. If you don't already, get the second fan for the 212.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Good as any, personally I skipped that whole generation so my knowledge is pretty limited on the particulars.

Though I would definitely start over 100% by reverting to stock BIOS values. Save what you have now if it's stable in case you want to go back to it.

And probably play around with the airflow as Benny suggested. If you don't already, get the second fan for the 212.
Yeah, I have the second fan already. I've done some serious cable reworking. I idle at 35 degrees and hit 62 max under load currently.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Frankie Spankie

I ended up buying a Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling system. Only $50, sound levels down and temperatures down from stock set up.

Friend of mine who has the H100 sent me this link: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/c...0_aio_review/5

Looks like it a solid cooler and it's not too expensive. About 30% off for the rest of the month, not a bad deal at all. So far I bought the case, power supply, RAM, and CPU cooler. So far, full retail price on the parts I bought was ~$580, I've spent ~$430. Not too bad of a savings already at about 25% off.

I think I'm going to go with your advice Sniper though and stick with one 770 for now. I'm in no rush on the three monitors but will keep an eye on deals for them daily until I find a good deal, might be Black Friday, we'll see. But I think I'll just buy the second 770 when I get the triple monitors. Hopefully the card will be cheaper then and I could get a different free game from Nvidia.

Side question on SLI - Do they have to be the same model video cards? I plan on doing two 770s but could one be say EVGA and the other Gigabyte?

Old
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Went ahead and updated the OP. Nothing major mostly price fixes and a few video card upgrades. RAM prices are going nuts right now. $50 memory kits 2 months ago are now $75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post

Side question on SLI - Do they have to be the same model video cards? I plan on doing two 770s but could one be say EVGA and the other Gigabyte?
They can be different models, but I would try and match them if possible. If you can't match them at least make sure they both have the same amount of memory.

Last edited by SniperHF: 07-29-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old
07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
RipsADrive
Be afraid

vCash: 50
If anyone has the time I'd appreciate a quick appraisal of my build. I game a lot but I'm pretty new to the hardware aspect so most of my choices are based off internet research and word of mouth from friends and co-workers.

My goal was to get the best performance for under 1500$. For ease of ordering I'm planning on buying it all off Newegg Canada unless I can find an amazing deal that's worth the extra shipping.

My Potential Build:

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM (64.99$)
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2774-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card (424.99$)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics (219.99$)
PSU: SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready (149.99$)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model (77.99$)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard (164.99)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case (129.99$)

Accessories: (Don't worry about these)
ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter (29.99$)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler (33.99$)

Total price including taxes+shipping = 1399.93$
(~1299.93 without shipping and taxes) (All prices off Newegg.ca)

I think I did alright though I'm tempted to pay the extra 100$ to get the Haswell I7. Not sure if it's worth it, however. I think the PSU I picked out is it a bit overkill so I could cut down some of the cost there.

Opinions? Thanks for looking!

Last edited by RipsADrive: 07-29-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old
07-29-2013, 09:49 PM
SettlementRichie10

Looks good to me, but I'm fairly new to this. I'm going to be upgrading to a 770 probably around Xmas.

Another side question about multi monitors for the group:

I'm definitely going to grab another monitor here in the next few weeks. I'm not looking to stretch the image onto both monitors, though. I'll still only game on one monitor in fullscreen and use the other for whatever. I won't have to worry about my 660ti buckling under that, right? I've read a lot about wanting another card for a multi monitor set up, but that's only if you're looking to go full screen across both monitors, correct?

Old
07-29-2013, 10:13 PM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

Installed the new Noctua HSF today.

Relatively easy to install, hardest part was actually installing the tower block onto the retaining posts, as there are springs on the screws that go into the posts.

Other than that, it's so large, I had to remove the upper 120mm fan on the side of the case panel, and somewhat amazing, once I plugged all the cables back in, it posted (and then booted to Windows once I switched the boot order around).

Would've been somewhat easier if my case had a cutout behind the mobo, and/of if I installed it into a new system. Although, they was a lot of dust bunnies everywhere, especially in the GPU fans, so having to tear it apart probably wasn't all that terrible in the end.

I was going to take a pic, but the inside of my case is a rat's nest, and meh, a mobo, etc all looks like every other one anyhow.

As for cooling performance, I set the BIOS to run it at a 3.2 GHz preset, the Vcore is stable at 1.24 V, and the CPU temp is 51 C. The A/C is on right now, which no doubt helps.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Looks good to me, but I'm fairly new to this. I'm going to be upgrading to a 770 probably around Xmas.

Another side question about multi monitors for the group:

I'm definitely going to grab another monitor here in the next few weeks. I'm not looking to stretch the image onto both monitors, though. I'll still only game on one monitor in fullscreen and use the other for whatever. I won't have to worry about my 660ti buckling under that, right? I've read a lot about wanting another card for a multi monitor set up, but that's only if you're looking to go full screen across both monitors, correct?
I had a small secondary monitor so I could watch TV shows on it while gaming or browsing on my primary with a 560Ti and didn't have a problem with it at all.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Got the http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX46151 for $389.

Came to $409.49 after tax.

Old
07-29-2013, 11:12 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
If anyone has the time I'd appreciate a quick appraisal of my build. I game a lot but I'm pretty new to the hardware aspect so most of my choices are based off internet research and word of mouth from friends and co-workers.

I think I did alright though I'm tempted to pay the extra 100$ to get the Haswell I7. Not sure if it's worth it, however. I think the PSU I picked out is it a bit overkill so I could cut down some of the cost there.
I would try and get the i7. Previously I would have said otherwise but certain games like Crysis 3 are actually starting to use the hyper threading. So it might be worth it if you can fit it in the budget.

Along these same lines, if you are planning on keeping the system a while without upgrading you should probably get the 4GB GTX 770.

Also might consider an SSD.

Everything else looks fine.

Quote:
I had a small secondary monitor so I could watch TV shows on it while gaming or browsing on my primary with a 560Ti and didn't have a problem with it at all.
Whenever I do this always end up accidentally clicking away from the full screen game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Other than that, it's so large, I had to remove the upper 120mm fan on the side of the case panel,
Never found the side panel fans to be all that useful. Had 4 different cases over the years that had them and with all my experimenting they never made one dent in temps.

Old
07-29-2013, 11:47 PM
RipsADrive
Be afraid

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would try and get the i7. Previously I would have said otherwise but certain games like Crysis 3 are actually starting to use the hyper threading. So it might be worth it if you can fit it in the budget.

Along these same lines, if you are planning on keeping the system a while without upgrading you should probably get the 4GB GTX 770.

Also might consider an SSD.

Everything else looks fine.

Interesting. Thank you.

Even before this post I'd talked myself into going for the I7. At the very least the extra 100 dollars will be worth it for my ego.

Thanks for pointing out the GBs on the graphics cards. Somehow I failed to notice that when I was researching so I didn't even know there was a difference. The cost to move up to 4GBs seems reasonable so I'll definitely look into that.

I cut the SSD out of my initial buy since I feel like it's a bit of a luxury item. (As if the rest of the build isn't, I know) I'm planning on adding one in in a few months along with a monitor and keyboard once my bank account recovers a bit.

Last edited by RipsADrive: 07-29-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old
07-29-2013, 11:53 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Thanks for pointing out the GBs on the graphics cards. Somehow I failed to notice that when I was researching so I didn't even know there was a difference. The cost to move up to 4GBs seems reasonable so I'll definitely look into that.
Yeah the cost is low enough to the point where I think it's easily worth it on the 770. Though just keep in mind that it's totally a crap shoot that you'll ever actually need that much memory. But rather have it and not need it.

That's one thing I like about AMD's cards is they are a little more forward looking on the RAM amounts.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:22 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Never found the side panel fans to be all that useful. Had 4 different cases over the years that had them and with all my experimenting they never made one dent in temps.
I've noticed it can sometimes help a bit with GPU temp to put an exhaust on the side under the card.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:55 AM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

I still have a bottom side fan pointing in (my logic is that the front fan is intake, everything else is pointing towards the back, so that air should be moving in a simple in->out direction.

However, the improvement today, was just dusting off my GPU's, temps went from 100 at max load to about 81 C. They were full of more dust than I expected.

Old
07-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I still have a bottom side fan pointing in (my logic is that the front fan is intake, everything else is pointing towards the back, so that air should be moving in a simple in->out direction.

However, the improvement today, was just dusting off my GPU's, temps went from 100 at max load to about 81 C. They were full of more dust than I expected.
If memory serves correct, you bought your LGA 1156 socket platform in 2010, so, 3 years would be enough time for all that dust. I also remember you were p*ssed when the following year, Intel changed sockets, not allowing you an upgrade path. In hindsight though, it wasn't too bad IMHO, Intel's yearly upgrades recently haven't been that fantastic (not like it used to be) and your platform model has stood up fairly well to time anyway. I think by upgrading just the video card you could probably squeeze more life out of that system for a bit longer. Fortunately, software demands recently haven't increased at the speed they used to, just video games (and even that has slowed). BTW, I bought my current system a year after you and cleaned it out (dust) this June (so I'm a bit better than you on that score lol)

Old
07-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Whenever I do this always end up accidentally clicking away from the full screen game.
I always kept the games in full screen, never really went with Borderless Window. I just used Media Center Classic and set up a playlist for a couple hours even though I'd never get through the whole playlist.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Frankie Spankie

Double Post - Just got back from Micro Center (It's in the city and lots of construction made it a bad day to make the trip) and picked up my i7-4770K 3.5 Quad Core Processor. On the way back, I realized that I have now spent less on an entire brand new laptop, than I have on a processor.

On a side note - The ASRock Z87 Extreme6 motherboard is $15 off on Newegg for the rest of the month. Think it'd drop any more during Labor day sales or should I just bite on it now?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

Old
07-30-2013, 04:23 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Oh just buy it all already
No sense in having all the other parts laying around without a home.

Old
07-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Frankie Spankie

LOL, I'm probably going to. I was thinking about it all day, might as well just order it now.

Old
07-30-2013, 04:48 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

BTW when you finish we demand benchmarks

Old
07-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Frankie Spankie

Just bit the bullet and bought it all, here's my new PC

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1mpYZ

Will get the second video card to SLI when I buy the 3 monitor set up, which will probably end up being Black Friday.

Old
07-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Quote:
Just bit the bullet and bought it all, here's my new PC

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1mpYZ

Will get the second video card to SLI when I buy the 3 monitor set up, which will probably end up being Black Friday.
Looks like it'll be a beauty. Congrats!

Old
08-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Frankie Spankie

I <3 Newegg.

I ordered the rest of my parts there Tuesday, the Motherboard, Graphics Card, SSD, etc. I found the SSD $50 cheaper on NCIX so I canceled that order within 10 minutes. I also placed an order for another DVD drive the next morning so I can have one for my old PC which I still plan on using. Well the SSD says non-refundable right on their website and I was pretty pissed to see it was canceled considering they put in the DVD drive I ordered ~12 hours after I tried canceling this one. Nervous I'd be in the whole with an extra SSD that I don't need because they wouldn't take it back.

I sent them an email expecting to have to argue with them and thinking it'd probably be going back and forth and fully ready to have to take a loss on the SSD by throwing it on eBay. First reply from Newegg: Since you're a valued customer, we'll make an exception to our non-refundable policy if the product remains unopened.

Good thing 90% of the computer parts I've bought over the past 8 years, I buy from Newegg.

Also lesson learned: Make damn sure your computer components are right before placing an order at Newegg because canceling it 10 minutes after placing the order, still won't cancel it.

Now I just have to wait and see how fast NCIX is with shipping, waiting on my cheaper (same exact model) SSD from there and my CPU cooler to come in and I can start building! I got the rest from Newegg yesterday.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:37 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
I <3 Newegg.

I ordered the rest of my parts there Tuesday, the Motherboard, Graphics Card, SSD, etc. I found the SSD $50 cheaper on NCIX so I canceled that order within 10 minutes. I also placed an order for another DVD drive the next morning so I can have one for my old PC which I still plan on using. Well the SSD says non-refundable right on their website and I was pretty pissed to see it was canceled considering they put in the DVD drive I ordered ~12 hours after I tried canceling this one. Nervous I'd be in the whole with an extra SSD that I don't need because they wouldn't take it back.

I sent them an email expecting to have to argue with them and thinking it'd probably be going back and forth and fully ready to have to take a loss on the SSD by throwing it on eBay. First reply from Newegg: Since you're a valued customer, we'll make an exception to our non-refundable policy if the product remains unopened.

Good thing 90% of the computer parts I've bought over the past 8 years, I buy from Newegg.

Also lesson learned: Make damn sure your computer components are right before placing an order at Newegg because canceling it 10 minutes after placing the order, still won't cancel it.

Now I just have to wait and see how fast NCIX is with shipping, waiting on my cheaper (same exact model) SSD from there and my CPU cooler to come in and I can start building! I got the rest from Newegg yesterday.
Last year I ordered about half my PC parts from Newegg and I think it took 4 days to receive.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Anyone else contemplating the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD? I sure as **** am. $650 for it... but it still need to even come on sale (not yet released).

Closed Thread