HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heritage Classic - rosters announced!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2003, 08:25 AM
  #1
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Heritage Classic - rosters announced!

It has been one of the most highly debated topics of conversation this summer. Since the announcement in early June of the Molson Canadian Heritage Classic, the first ever NHL regular season outdoor game, hockey fans everywhere have wondered which MegaStars will dress for the Edmonton Oilers, and who will represent the Montreal Canadiens?

The anticipation has finally come to an end. With the historic Molson Canadian Heritage Classic just over two months away, the Edmonton Oilers have announced the rosters for both the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens MegaStars:

Edmonton Oilers MegaStars

Captain Wayne Gretzky
Goal Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Andy Moog

Forwards: Glenn Anderson, Ron Chipperfield, Dave Hunter, Jari Kurri, Ken Linseman, Dave Lumley, Dave Semenko, Craig Simpson, Esa Tikkanen

Defencemen: Jeff Beukeboom, Paul Coffey, Lee Fogolin, Randy Gregg, Charlie Huddy, Kevin Lowe, Marty McSorley, Craig Muni

Montreal Canadiens MegaStars

Captain Guy Lafleur
Goal Steve Penney, Richard Sevigny

Forwards: Benoit Brunet, Guy Carbonneau, Cam Connor, Russ Courtnall, Lucien Deblois, Yvon Lambert, Kirk Muller, Mark Napier, Chris Nilan, Stephane Richer, Steve Shutt, Bobby Smith

Defencemen: Jean-Jacques Daigneault, Gilbert Delorme, Gaston Gingras, Guy Lapointe, Craig Ludwig, Larry Robinson

* Player rosters are subject to change.

This has to be one of the most impressive rosters of players to ever skate on a sheet of ice, said Patrick LaForge, President & CEO of the Edmonton Oilers. Weve got Oiler greats whose efforts helped win five Stanley Cups for the City of Champions, and many of the Canadiens legends that have won 24 Stanley Cups for Montreal. For hockey fans around the world, this is a dream match-up.

Oilers General Manager Kevin Lowe says he is excited about the prospect of getting back on the ice with his teammates of the glory years. In his words, I love the idea that were going to be playing outdoors, and I dont know what Im more excited about the game, or just getting back together with the guys.

Pierre Boivin, President of the Montreal Canadiens, says, The entire Montreal Canadiens organization is excited about the Heritage Classic and the MegaStars game. Although the Canadiens alumni will face a formidable Oilers line-up, we remain very confident that the quality of our roster will be a delight for hockey fans in Edmonton and across the world watching on November 22nd.

We have assembled a Canadiens team for all generations, said Rejean Houle, President of the Montreal Canadiens Alumni. We have players that helped bring six Stanley Cups to Montreal in the 70s, as well as Canadiens from the 80s and 90s who also wear championship rings. Were all looking forward to meeting the Oilers outdoors this November.

The Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens MegaStars will play two 15-minute periods of stop-time hockey prior to the Oilers/Canadiens regular season match-up on November 22, 2003, at Commonwealth Stadium.

barto is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 08:26 AM
  #2
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
It has been one of the most highly debated topics of conversation this summer. Since the announcement in early June of the Molson Canadian Heritage Classic, the first ever NHL regular season outdoor game, hockey fans everywhere have wondered which MegaStars will dress for the Edmonton Oilers, and who will represent the Montreal Canadiens?

The anticipation has finally come to an end. With the historic Molson Canadian Heritage Classic just over two months away, the Edmonton Oilers have announced the rosters for both the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens MegaStars:

Edmonton Oilers MegaStars

Captain – Wayne Gretzky
Goal – Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Andy Moog

Forwards: Glenn Anderson, Ron Chipperfield, Dave Hunter, Jari Kurri, Ken Linseman, Dave Lumley, Dave Semenko, Craig Simpson, Esa Tikkanen

Defencemen: Jeff Beukeboom, Paul Coffey, Lee Fogolin, Randy Gregg, Charlie Huddy, Kevin Lowe, Marty McSorley, Craig Muni

Montreal Canadiens MegaStars

Captain – Guy Lafleur
Goal – Steve Penney, Richard Sevigny

Forwards: Benoit Brunet, Guy Carbonneau, Cam Connor, Russ Courtnall, Lucien Deblois, Yvon Lambert, Kirk Muller, Mark Napier, Chris Nilan, Stephane Richer, Steve Shutt, Bobby Smith

Defencemen: Jean-Jacques Daigneault, Gilbert Delorme, Gaston Gingras, Guy Lapointe, Craig Ludwig, Larry Robinson

* Player rosters are subject to change.

“This has to be one of the most impressive rosters of players to ever skate on a sheet of ice,” said Patrick LaForge, President & CEO of the Edmonton Oilers. “We’ve got Oiler greats whose efforts helped win five Stanley Cup’s for the City of Champions, and many of the Canadiens legends that have won 24 Stanley Cup’s for Montreal. For hockey fans around the world, this is a dream match-up.”

Oilers General Manager Kevin Lowe says he is excited about the prospect of getting back on the ice with his teammates of the glory years. In his words, “I love the idea that we’re going to be playing outdoors, and I don’t know what I’m more excited about – the game, or just getting back together with the guys.”

Pierre Boivin, President of the Montreal Canadiens, says, “The entire Montreal Canadiens organization is excited about the Heritage Classic and the MegaStars game. Although the Canadiens alumni will face a formidable Oilers line-up, we remain very confident that the quality of our roster will be a delight for hockey fans in Edmonton and across the world watching on November 22nd.”

“We have assembled a Canadiens team for all generations,” said Rejean Houle, President of the Montreal Canadiens Alumni. “We have players that helped bring six Stanley Cup’s to Montreal in the 70’s, as well as Canadiens from the 80’s and 90’s who also wear championship rings. We’re all looking forward to meeting the Oilers outdoors this November.”

The Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens MegaStars will play two 15-minute periods of stop-time hockey prior to the Oilers/Canadiens regular season match-up on November 22, 2003, at Commonwealth Stadium.
Thanks Bart! It's gonna be good...This game will be on TV right?

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 08:39 AM
  #3
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Thanks Bart! It's gonna be good...This game will be on TV right?
Only if they think there'll be a market for it...



It'll be a BIG TV day around here, no doubt about it!

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 08:54 AM
  #4
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Montreal is icing a weak lineup with the exception of a few if should be a severe lashing by the Oilers.

Walsher is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 09:27 AM
  #5
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Montreal is icing a weak lineup with the exception of a few if should be a severe lashing by the Oilers.
I'm surprised Pat Roy isn't playing...Maybe he won't be allowed as a member of the Avalanche...

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 09:28 AM
  #6
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Montreal is icing a weak lineup with the exception of a few if should be a severe lashing by the Oilers.
Al Hamilton is the biggest omision to me. Maybe he has a chronic injury??? Only Oiler other than Gretz and Kurri to have his number retired.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 10:20 AM
  #7
fuhr
Registered User
 
fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Al Hamilton is the biggest omision to me. Maybe he has a chronic injury??? Only Oiler other than Gretz and Kurri to have his number retired.

Don't forget about Fuhrsie!!! It'll be up there in less than a month!!!

fuhr is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 10:34 AM
  #8
goldenchild
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Howard 100
Country: India
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
No Peter Klima? Vladamir Ruzika? what in the world is going on here?

goldenchild is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 10:36 AM
  #9
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
No MacT?

copperandblue is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 11:24 AM
  #10
CNote
Get 'er done
 
CNote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
...glad to see robinson lacing them up.

"Goal Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Andy Moog"...nice!

this Oiler squa dcould probably compete in the current NHL....lol..amazing lineup.

CNote is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 11:50 AM
  #11
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
...glad to see robinson lacing them up.

"Goal Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Andy Moog"...nice!

this Oiler squa dcould probably compete in the current NHL....lol..amazing lineup.
Let's not get carried away...

As far as prediction...the Oilers beat the Habs 8-2 going away...and coasting the last few minutes not to embarrass Les Glorieux. Aside from Ludvig that blueline is either very old or not very talented.

The Oilers blueline and players in general are all far more recent retirements than the Habs. Shutt, Smith, Napier, Deblois, Lafleur are getting up there.(Shutty by the way looks tres pudgy. Bowman was right..he could never keep Stevie in shape. )

And that goaltending for Montreal...........BLEEECHHH!!!!

Blue and Orange hammers the Bleu Blanc et Rouge.....

Slats432 is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 12:17 PM
  #12
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
And that goaltending for Montreal...........BLEEECHHH!!!!
Yeah but thinking back to the Dallas - Oiler series of past, with those big shot blocking shin pads of Ludwig and Carbonneau, it will be unlikely many shots will be getting through to the net.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 01:34 PM
  #13
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,657
vCash: 500
LOL, I remember hearing an interview with Gretzky? / Lowe? (I can't remember who) who quipped that even in the old-timers game, the Oilers are still the youngest team out there...

Master Lok is online now  
Old
09-19-2003, 02:32 PM
  #14
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Montreal is icing a weak lineup with the exception of a few if should be a severe lashing by the Oilers.
I wouldn't be so sure. While the Oil's lineup would thrash this Montreal lineup if all players were still in their prime, there seems to be a lot of Montreal forwards only a year or two removed from NHL hockey, such as Benoit Brunet, Guy Carbonneau, Russ Courtnall, Kirk Muller and Stephane Richer, while upfront, the Oil have none. KLo better hope some of these guys show up in shape, or they may be in for a wake-up call "French-Canadian" style.

Boondock Saint is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 03:35 PM
  #15
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
You guys think Hunter and Nilan will go at it for old time sake...

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 04:01 PM
  #16
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
You guys think Hunter and Nilan will go at it for old time sake...
Nah. They'll just meet at center ice and talk about what they would have done in the days. Or maybe dance around till they get dizzy and fall down.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 06:53 PM
  #17
Hemmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ethan Moreau for MVP! NOW! VOTE!
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Oilers lines:

Tik - 99 - Kurri
Simmer - Chipperfield - Andy
Lummer - the Rat - Semenk
Huntsy

Coff - Huddy
Lowe - Fogolin
McSorely - Muni
Beuk - Greggs

Moog - 1st period
Ranford - 2nd period
Fuhr - 3rd period

Thoughts?

Hemmer is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 06:57 PM
  #18
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Oilers lines:

Tik - 99 - Kurri
Simmer - Chipperfield - Andy
Lummer - the Rat - Semenk
Huntsy

Coff - Huddy
Lowe - Fogolin
McSorely - Muni
Beuk - Greggs

Moog - 1st period
Ranford - 2nd period
Fuhr - 3rd period

Thoughts?
This is the most excited for the game I've been since Gretz officially announced he'd play!!! I wonder if Jurri has gotten in shape?!?!? When we retired his jersey he looked like he was a good big thicker!!!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 10:03 AM
  #19
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
You guys think Hunter and Nilan will go at it for old time sake...
If not Hunter, McSorley & Semenko are waiting in the wings.

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 10:27 AM
  #20
creative giant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Moog - 1st period
Ranford - 2nd period
Fuhr - 3rd period

Thoughts?
I thought there were only going to be two periods in the old-timer game

creative giant* is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 03:16 PM
  #21
Hemmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ethan Moreau for MVP! NOW! VOTE!
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
I thought there were only going to be two periods in the old-timer game
Very possible...I wasn't sure. I would imagine then that it would be Moog and Fuhr getting the majority of the time.

Hemmer is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 03:27 PM
  #22
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,437
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I wonder if Jurri has gotten in shape?!?!? !
I know you meant to say Kurri, but from a Finnish perspective that's a hilarious typo. Jurri= wasted or drunk in Finnish.

Jussi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.