HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heritage Classic - rosters announced!

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 08:25 AM
barto

vCash: 500
Heritage Classic - rosters announced!

It has been one of the most highly debated topics of conversation this summer. Since the announcement in early June of the Molson Canadian Heritage Classic, the first ever NHL regular season outdoor game, hockey fans everywhere have wondered which MegaStars will dress for the Edmonton Oilers, and who will represent the Montreal Canadiens?

The anticipation has finally come to an end. With the historic Molson Canadian Heritage Classic just over two months away, the Edmonton Oilers have announced the rosters for both the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens MegaStars:

Edmonton Oilers MegaStars

Captain Wayne Gretzky
Goal Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Andy Moog

Forwards: Glenn Anderson, Ron Chipperfield, Dave Hunter, Jari Kurri, Ken Linseman, Dave Lumley, Dave Semenko, Craig Simpson, Esa Tikkanen

Defencemen: Jeff Beukeboom, Paul Coffey, Lee Fogolin, Randy Gregg, Charlie Huddy, Kevin Lowe, Marty McSorley, Craig Muni

Montreal Canadiens MegaStars

Captain Guy Lafleur
Goal Steve Penney, Richard Sevigny

Forwards: Benoit Brunet, Guy Carbonneau, Cam Connor, Russ Courtnall, Lucien Deblois, Yvon Lambert, Kirk Muller, Mark Napier, Chris Nilan, Stephane Richer, Steve Shutt, Bobby Smith

Defencemen: Jean-Jacques Daigneault, Gilbert Delorme, Gaston Gingras, Guy Lapointe, Craig Ludwig, Larry Robinson

* Player rosters are subject to change.

This has to be one of the most impressive rosters of players to ever skate on a sheet of ice, said Patrick LaForge, President & CEO of the Edmonton Oilers. Weve got Oiler greats whose efforts helped win five Stanley Cups for the City of Champions, and many of the Canadiens legends that have won 24 Stanley Cups for Montreal. For hockey fans around the world, this is a dream match-up.

Oilers General Manager Kevin Lowe says he is excited about the prospect of getting back on the ice with his teammates of the glory years. In his words, I love the idea that were going to be playing outdoors, and I dont know what Im more excited about the game, or just getting back together with the guys.

Pierre Boivin, President of the Montreal Canadiens, says, The entire Montreal Canadiens organization is excited about the Heritage Classic and the MegaStars game. Although the Canadiens alumni will face a formidable Oilers line-up, we remain very confident that the quality of our roster will be a delight for hockey fans in Edmonton and across the world watching on November 22nd.

We have assembled a Canadiens team for all generations, said Rejean Houle, President of the Montreal Canadiens Alumni. We have players that helped bring six Stanley Cups to Montreal in the 70s, as well as Canadiens from the 80s and 90s who also wear championship rings. Were all looking forward to meeting the Oilers outdoors this November.

The Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens MegaStars will play two 15-minute periods of stop-time hockey prior to the Oilers/Canadiens regular season match-up on November 22, 2003, at Commonwealth Stadium.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:26 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
It has been one of the most highly debated topics of conversation this summer. Since the announcement in early June of the Molson Canadian Heritage Classic, the first ever NHL regular season outdoor game, hockey fans everywhere have wondered which MegaStars will dress for the Edmonton Oilers, and who will represent the Montreal Canadiens?

The anticipation has finally come to an end. With the historic Molson Canadian Heritage Classic just over two months away, the Edmonton Oilers have announced the rosters for both the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens MegaStars:

Edmonton Oilers MegaStars

Captain – Wayne Gretzky
Goal – Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Andy Moog

Forwards: Glenn Anderson, Ron Chipperfield, Dave Hunter, Jari Kurri, Ken Linseman, Dave Lumley, Dave Semenko, Craig Simpson, Esa Tikkanen

Defencemen: Jeff Beukeboom, Paul Coffey, Lee Fogolin, Randy Gregg, Charlie Huddy, Kevin Lowe, Marty McSorley, Craig Muni

Montreal Canadiens MegaStars

Captain – Guy Lafleur
Goal – Steve Penney, Richard Sevigny

Forwards: Benoit Brunet, Guy Carbonneau, Cam Connor, Russ Courtnall, Lucien Deblois, Yvon Lambert, Kirk Muller, Mark Napier, Chris Nilan, Stephane Richer, Steve Shutt, Bobby Smith

Defencemen: Jean-Jacques Daigneault, Gilbert Delorme, Gaston Gingras, Guy Lapointe, Craig Ludwig, Larry Robinson

* Player rosters are subject to change.

“This has to be one of the most impressive rosters of players to ever skate on a sheet of ice,” said Patrick LaForge, President & CEO of the Edmonton Oilers. “We’ve got Oiler greats whose efforts helped win five Stanley Cup’s for the City of Champions, and many of the Canadiens legends that have won 24 Stanley Cup’s for Montreal. For hockey fans around the world, this is a dream match-up.”

Oilers General Manager Kevin Lowe says he is excited about the prospect of getting back on the ice with his teammates of the glory years. In his words, “I love the idea that we’re going to be playing outdoors, and I don’t know what I’m more excited about – the game, or just getting back together with the guys.”

Pierre Boivin, President of the Montreal Canadiens, says, “The entire Montreal Canadiens organization is excited about the Heritage Classic and the MegaStars game. Although the Canadiens alumni will face a formidable Oilers line-up, we remain very confident that the quality of our roster will be a delight for hockey fans in Edmonton and across the world watching on November 22nd.”

“We have assembled a Canadiens team for all generations,” said Rejean Houle, President of the Montreal Canadiens Alumni. “We have players that helped bring six Stanley Cup’s to Montreal in the 70’s, as well as Canadiens from the 80’s and 90’s who also wear championship rings. We’re all looking forward to meeting the Oilers outdoors this November.”

The Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens MegaStars will play two 15-minute periods of stop-time hockey prior to the Oilers/Canadiens regular season match-up on November 22, 2003, at Commonwealth Stadium.
Thanks Bart! It's gonna be good...This game will be on TV right?

Old
09-19-2003, 08:39 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Thanks Bart! It's gonna be good...This game will be on TV right?
Only if they think there'll be a market for it...

It'll be a BIG TV day around here, no doubt about it!

Bart

Old
09-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Walsher

Montreal is icing a weak lineup with the exception of a few if should be a severe lashing by the Oilers.

Old
09-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Montreal is icing a weak lineup with the exception of a few if should be a severe lashing by the Oilers.
I'm surprised Pat Roy isn't playing...Maybe he won't be allowed as a member of the Avalanche...

Old
09-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Al Hamilton is the biggest omision to me. Maybe he has a chronic injury??? Only Oiler other than Gretz and Kurri to have his number retired.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:20 AM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Al Hamilton is the biggest omision to me. Maybe he has a chronic injury??? Only Oiler other than Gretz and Kurri to have his number retired.

Don't forget about Fuhrsie!!! It'll be up there in less than a month!!!

Old
09-19-2003, 10:34 AM
goldenchild

No Peter Klima? Vladamir Ruzika? what in the world is going on here?

Old
09-19-2003, 10:36 AM
copperandblue

No MacT?

Old
09-19-2003, 11:24 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

...glad to see robinson lacing them up.

"Goal Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Andy Moog"...nice!

this Oiler squa dcould probably compete in the current NHL....lol..amazing lineup.

Old
09-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
...glad to see robinson lacing them up.

"Goal Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford, Andy Moog"...nice!

this Oiler squa dcould probably compete in the current NHL....lol..amazing lineup.
Let's not get carried away...

As far as prediction...the Oilers beat the Habs 8-2 going away...and coasting the last few minutes not to embarrass Les Glorieux. Aside from Ludvig that blueline is either very old or not very talented.

The Oilers blueline and players in general are all far more recent retirements than the Habs. Shutt, Smith, Napier, Deblois, Lafleur are getting up there.(Shutty by the way looks tres pudgy. Bowman was right..he could never keep Stevie in shape. )

And that goaltending for Montreal...........BLEEECHHH!!!!

Blue and Orange hammers the Bleu Blanc et Rouge.....

Old
09-19-2003, 12:17 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
And that goaltending for Montreal...........BLEEECHHH!!!!
Yeah but thinking back to the Dallas - Oiler series of past, with those big shot blocking shin pads of Ludwig and Carbonneau, it will be unlikely many shots will be getting through to the net.

Old
09-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Master Lok

LOL, I remember hearing an interview with Gretzky? / Lowe? (I can't remember who) who quipped that even in the old-timers game, the Oilers are still the youngest team out there...

Old
09-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure. While the Oil's lineup would thrash this Montreal lineup if all players were still in their prime, there seems to be a lot of Montreal forwards only a year or two removed from NHL hockey, such as Benoit Brunet, Guy Carbonneau, Russ Courtnall, Kirk Muller and Stephane Richer, while upfront, the Oil have none. KLo better hope some of these guys show up in shape, or they may be in for a wake-up call "French-Canadian" style.

Old
09-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Yanner39

You guys think Hunter and Nilan will go at it for old time sake...

Old
09-19-2003, 04:01 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Nah. They'll just meet at center ice and talk about what they would have done in the days. Or maybe dance around till they get dizzy and fall down.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Hemmer

Oilers lines:

Tik - 99 - Kurri
Simmer - Chipperfield - Andy
Lummer - the Rat - Semenk
Huntsy

Coff - Huddy
Lowe - Fogolin
McSorely - Muni
Beuk - Greggs

Moog - 1st period
Ranford - 2nd period
Fuhr - 3rd period

Thoughts?

Old
09-19-2003, 06:57 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Oilers lines:

Tik - 99 - Kurri
Simmer - Chipperfield - Andy
Lummer - the Rat - Semenk
Huntsy

Coff - Huddy
Lowe - Fogolin
McSorely - Muni
Beuk - Greggs

Moog - 1st period
Ranford - 2nd period
Fuhr - 3rd period

Thoughts?
This is the most excited for the game I've been since Gretz officially announced he'd play!!! I wonder if Jurri has gotten in shape?!?!? When we retired his jersey he looked like he was a good big thicker!!!

Old
09-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
If not Hunter, McSorley & Semenko are waiting in the wings.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:27 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Moog - 1st period
Ranford - 2nd period
Fuhr - 3rd period

Thoughts?
I thought there were only going to be two periods in the old-timer game

Old
09-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
I thought there were only going to be two periods in the old-timer game
Very possible...I wasn't sure. I would imagine then that it would be Moog and Fuhr getting the majority of the time.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I wonder if Jurri has gotten in shape?!?!? !
I know you meant to say Kurri, but from a Finnish perspective that's a hilarious typo. Jurri= wasted or drunk in Finnish.

Closed Thread