HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Thread X: The Leadership Has Left the Building

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 01:24 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
NHL Lockout Thread X: The Leadership Has Left the Building

Continue...

Old
11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

I want hockey back.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
PensFanSince1989

One thing I've noticed is some of the people that argue dominantly from the PA perspective and defend their proposals also support contraction.

All of the PA proposals basically prohibit contraction from being a feasible option in the future.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
This must be news to Campoli.
Why, because when someone is willing to walk away out of principle that is somehow not a human reaction to the situation? Do folks like yourself ever do anything out of principle, even when it hurts your bottom line? I've walked off of jobs because of things which, on an individual basis may seem trivial, but when added in with all the other garbage such things simply forced me to draw a line and act out of principle. Yes, the players are incredibly lucky and refuse to see it but at the same time they're sick of their contracts being the owners only scapegoat for league success, over, and over again. I can understand being frustrated to the point where I'd say **** it and play for some obscure European team for less money, and let the NHL rejuvenate itself without me.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
CN_paladin

I wish it was Cole or Gorges instead of Pacioretty that lost the house because of mortgage nonpayment. If more players lose their properties, then yeah we might see less stalling from Fehr.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

I'm going to go to Hawaii for a week and a half, get very drunk every day and when I come back this had better be resolved.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:36 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
I wish it was Cole or Gorges instead of Pacioretty that lost the house because of mortgage nonpayment. If more players lose their properties, then yeah we might see less stalling from Fehr.
Right or wrong, the owners have way more negotiating power because they literally do not need the players. The NHL is a play-thing to the owners, while the NHL is the greatest source of income to the players.

Regardless of what one considers right or wrong regarding the sides involved in this lockout, the owners will NOT lose. If the season gets cancelled players will have lost more in one year than they would have gained their entire career by getting the CBA they felt was favorable to them.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:38 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I'm going to go to Hawaii for a week and a half, get very drunk every day and when I come back this had better be resolved.
I dislike you, only because you get to go to Hawaii for a week and a half and forget this nonsense.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
One thing I've noticed is some of the people that argue dominantly from the PA perspective and defend their proposals also support contraction.

All of the PA proposals basically prohibit contraction from being a feasible option in the future.
Contraction equals lost jobs. That's the last thing players want.

Others suggest moving teams around, such as out of Phoenix and back to Quebec. Problem there is moving teams out of the states and back to Canada doesn't really help you in landing those massive TV contracts. You want those markets to succeed if you're both an owner and a player as it means more money for you in the short and long term.

As fans however, there is really nothing forcing us to be realistic. More money for my favorite players yay!!!

Old
11-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
I don't think it was a non-payment or that he's losing his house.

From what I read there was some renovation work done, Pacioretty couldn't pay (or wished to defer payment to) the contractor for the work, and a mortgage would be a way to guarantee the contractor would be paid the money owed.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
I want hockey back.
Really is killing me. I don't understand how they just let the fans sit in peril here while they ***** back and forth.

Fair deal for both sides, and get these men back on the ice. All that is needed. PLEASE!

Old
11-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Why, because when someone is willing to walk away out of principle that is somehow not a human reaction to the situation? Do folks like yourself ever do anything out of principle, even when it hurts your bottom line? I've walked off of jobs because of things which, on an individual basis may seem trivial, but when added in with all the other garbage such things simply forced me to draw a line and act out of principle. Yes, the players are incredibly lucky and refuse to see it but at the same time they're sick of their contracts being the owners only scapegoat for league success, over, and over again. I can understand being frustrated to the point where I'd say **** it and play for some obscure European team for less money, and let the NHL rejuvenate itself without me.
You clearly missed the joke. Womp womp. Campoli's a hardliner and advocates other players giving up their wages when he's not losing anything. He doesn't have a contract. Easy for Campoli to say, "hey guys, get behind me!"

Joke's on him though, because if it's correct that players without a contract are SOL, he will get absolutely nothing out of an anti-trust lawsuit should the NHLPA actually decertify.

The fact that so many people are buying into the NHLPA's woe-is-me PR campaign is surprising. Right, this is some grand gesture of principle to fight for the little guy. Even the 13th forward on a team, if he's not a total idiot with money, is a multi-millionaire. The athletes in this day and age who are the ones truly getting ripped off are the college athletes.

Last edited by Samzilla: 11-30-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 01:49 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
You clearly missed the joke. Womp womp. Campoli's a hardliner and advocates other players giving up their jobs/wages when he's not losing anything...he doesn't have a damnn contract. So it's easy for Campoli to say, "hey guys, get behind me!"
Same with Mathieu Darche.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
NickyMaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Contraction equals lost jobs. That's the last thing players want.

Others suggest moving teams around, such as out of Phoenix and back to Quebec. Problem there is moving teams out of the states and back to Canada doesn't really help you in landing those massive TV contracts. You want those markets to succeed if you're both an owner and a player as it means more money for you in the short and long term.

As fans however, there is really nothing forcing us to be realistic. More money for my favorite players yay!!!
Yes, the PA's stance has pretty much been 'screw the health of the league and give us more money.' They need a healthy league with healthy franchises to employ their players. Contraction means fewer guys making NHL money, if anything they should be fighting for expansion of the league.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Kopistar

@MattBarnaby3636: Talked to a player today on owners meeting players. Response was "another waste of time. Attempt to break up union again."

aka, we don't know anything about negotiating and we just let Fehr do it all for us.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:55 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
But players were still signing in the NHL when their contracts were up.

A more principled stand might be, for example, in the middle of the previous CBA, after getting screwed in 04-05 and before letting the owners screw them in 12-13, instead of signing some big money contract with an NHL owner and being involved in the same league as Bettman, you sign with some obscure European team for less money. That would send a message.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:56 PM
the_fan

Quote:
I want hockey back.
And I want to wake up tomorrow morning with couple of million dollars under my pillow. Good luck to both of us.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:00 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
For players with exisiting contracts, a decrtification could enable them to sue for lost games. Im assuming the existing contracts are valid. Interesting question is the protection of those contracts going forward. No union, guarantee clause would be in serious question IMO. Players w/o contracts would be SOL.
Quote:
This must be news to Campoli.
Quote:
You clearly missed the joke. Womp womp. Campoli's a hardliner and advocates other players giving up their jobs/wages when he's not losing anything...he doesn't have a damnn contract. So it's easy for Campoli to say, "hey guys, get behind me!"
I thought the joke implied that he now has no chance of getting a contract and is therefore ****ing himself, which is a weak interpretation. I don't think his actions as a hardliner are simply based on his personal situation. I think he actually is frustrated to the point of no return even if it is easier for him when he has literally nothing, at the moment, to walk away from. That said, I still stand by my statement regarding the PA acting out to principle.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:02 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
But players were still signing in the NHL when their contracts were up.

A more principled stand might be, for example, in the middle of the previous CBA, after getting screwed in 04-05 and before letting the owners screw them in 12-13, instead of signing some big money contract with an NHL owner and being involved in the same league as Bettman, you sign with some obscure European team for less money. That would send a message.
I think it's natural for them to go into the next round of negotiations in good faith, then turn when things go sour.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:18 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
I think it's natural for them to go into the next round of negotiations in good faith, then turn when things go sour.
They hired Donald Fehr years in advance. They knew what was coming, from both the NHL side, and their own.

Then, on top of that, the players still accepted those contract offers(the NHL's dirty money) last summer, and agreed to bump up the cap before the summer even started, forcing owners to spend more. So the players either didn't know what was going to happen when the CBA expired, which makes them oblivious, or they pretty much knew exactly what would happen, and all that happened over the summer and to this day was as coordinated by the PA as it was the NHL.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Suntouchable13

In the words of JR "Wake up, NHL, wake up!"

Old
11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
the_fan

I really think this lockout will last well beyond this season. We are talking perhaps all of this season and half the next season, or even two full seasons.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
They hired Donald Fehr years in advance. They knew what was coming, from both the NHL side, and their own.

Then, on top of that, the players still accepted those contract offers(the NHL's dirty money) last summer, and agreed to bump up the cap before the summer even started, forcing owners to spend more. So the players either didn't know what was going to happen when the CBA expired, which makes them oblivious, or they pretty much knew exactly what would happen, and all that happened over the summer and to this day was as coordinated by the PA as it was the NHL.
Good, they did exactly what they should do if they are under the impression that every time the CBA expires they are going to be asked to bend over again, especially when they'd be under the impression a year off 7 years ago should have produced a sustainable model for success.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I want hockey back.
Same here man, I am going crazy. Even more so now that the Bills our out of playoff contention.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:33 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
@MattBarnaby3636: Talked to a player today on owners meeting players. Response was "another waste of time. Attempt to break up union again."

aka, we don't know anything about negotiating and we just let Fehr do it all for us.
Thank God the players are doing everything they can to get the season going again

Just go to the ****ing meeting. for ****'s sake.

Closed Thread