HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Ritchie Regehr

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2005, 04:29 PM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
Ritchie Regehr

What are some thoughts on this kid? he opted out of the draft and the Flames pciked him up in the offseason as a free agent. He then earned a spot on Lowells defense squad. He is not as big as his brother but has better stick handling and from what I hear a very good shot. Now what interests me is his goals this year as a defenseman.

As a rookie defenseman, never drafted he has 9 goals in 46 games. The top defenseman in the AHl has 11 goals in 48 games. Most of the guys above him in goals have played 1-3 more games than him. He is scoring at the same pace as such NHL youngesters as Hamuis, Kronwall, Wideman, Erhoff. He is also in the top 25 for overall points as a defenseman and 7th for defenseman at +16. They ahve him listed at around 6'0" and 200 pounds.

Thoughts?

Old
02-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Peter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
What are some thoughts on this kid? he opted out of the draft and the Flames pciked him up in the offseason as a free agent. He then earned a spot on Lowells defense squad. He is not as big as his brother but has better stick handling and from what I hear a very good shot. Now what interests me is his goals this year as a defenseman.

As a rookie defenseman, never drafted he has 9 goals in 46 games. The top defenseman in the AHl has 11 goals in 48 games. Most of the guys above him in goals have played 1-3 more games than him. He is scoring at the same pace as such NHL youngesters as Hamuis, Kronwall, Wideman, Erhoff. He is also in the top 25 for overall points as a defenseman and 7th for defenseman at +16. They ahve him listed at around 6'0" and 200 pounds.

Thoughts?
The kid hasn't never been drafted even though he was available for at least two drafts. He was at the Canucks training camp two camps ago and with Calgary last year. I think he was with another team three camps ago but I could be wrong. The kid probably won't make the NHL but be a good AHL'er.

Old
02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
chriss_co

If Ritchie can learn how to be a solid defender then he has a chance to make the NHL.. he isn't playing horrible defensively in the AHL but that is his weakest part of his game and he wont cut it in the NHL if that part doesn't become his strongest asset

however, he is very young and i see a lot of potential.. i am also confident that with calgary's coaching staff and defensive mindset, richie has a very good shot of cracking the NHL in the distant future

Old
02-10-2005, 07:00 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Richie Regehr. He looked like calm and collected player the two times I saw him. Actually he wasn't overly noticable but that can be a good thing too. His stats are great too so he could have a future in the bigs.

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 02-11-2005 at 01:08 PM. Reason: removed off-topic comments
Old
02-10-2005, 07:15 PM
fredez

His stats in the WHL are actually pretty impressive.

In 2003-2004 he was the best defenseman (point-wise) on his team with 43 points in 65 games. (Ahead of Coburn)

In 2002-2003 he was the best player (point-wise) on his team with 61 points in 67 games. (Ahead of Coburn) (On the second to worst team in the league)

In 2001-2002 he was the best defenseman (point-wise) on his team with 44 points in 52 games. (Ahead of Coburn)

In 2000-2001 he was the best defenseman (point-wise) on his team with 37 points in 71 games.

And in the AHL he is now the best defenseman of his team (point-wise) with 21 points in 46 games. (Ahead of Commodore and St-Jacques)

Old
02-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez
His stats in the WHL are actually pretty impressive.

In 2003-2004 he was the best defenseman (point-wise) on his team with 43 points in 65 games. (Ahead of Coburn)

In 2002-2003 he was the best player (point-wise) on his team with 61 points in 67 games. (Ahead of Coburn) (On the second to worst team in the league)

In 2001-2002 he was the best defenseman (point-wise) on his team with 44 points in 52 games. (Ahead of Coburn)

In 2000-2001 he was the best defenseman (point-wise) on his team with 37 points in 71 games.

And in the AHL he is now the best defenseman of his team (point-wise) with 21 points in 46 games. (Ahead of Commodore and St-Jacques)
If only points were enough to make it to the NHL............

Old
02-10-2005, 09:50 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
If only points were enough to make it to the NHL............
it does show he has a nack for scoring and some nice hands. Hopefully his brother can teach him a thing or two and train with him in the offseasons. That will help as well.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:35 AM
GUIDO OHASIS

vCash:
i changed my mind ritchie will one day play in the NHL
-even if it is only as a replacement scab

Old
02-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
it does show he has a nack for scoring and some nice hands. Hopefully his brother can teach him a thing or two and train with him in the offseasons. That will help as well.
The Regehr family is a great family and both kids are good kids (although Ritchie does have more of a wild side than brother Robyn: got this from a former Winter Hawk defenseman who no longer is playing due to career ending injury).

That said, Ritchie is in tough. He will get more of a chance with Calgary than any other team because of brother Robyn but the result, I am afraid, will be much like the Steve Kariya episode in Vancouver.

Old
02-11-2005, 12:04 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
The kid hasn't never been drafted even though he was available for at least two drafts. He was at the Canucks training camp two camps ago and with Calgary last year. I think he was with another team three camps ago but I could be wrong. The kid probably won't make the NHL but be a good AHL'er.
He opted out of the 2001 draft (in retrospect bad move), was passed over in 2002...but I think was too old by 2003?

regardless, clearly he is a longshot. sounds like he may well have NHL caliber puck skills and hockey sense, but needs to work on the physical/defensive elements required of an NHL defenceman (especially in Calgary one might think)

what I have heard about him is that he has a pretty solid work ethic and is quite devoted to fitness etc, things that he has learned from his older brother in terms of what it takes to be an NHLer

it would seem he already has a leg up on guys like Brennan Evans, who had a cup of coffee with the Flames last year, so I think in the next 2 years or so we'll at minimum see him as a 7th-8th d, callup type guy....whether he has what it takes to become a bottom pairing NHLer and or special teams guy...I can't say

Closed Thread