HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conflicting reports

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2005, 09:40 AM
  #1
S_O_T_I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Conflicting reports

We got word that a deal HAS been reached in principle, enough to end the lockout, but not far enough for a new CBA. However, some owners will veto it becuase the ink won't be on the paper. I'll update as I hear it, but news should come out soon (if our source is correct).

S_O_T_I is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 09:42 AM
  #2
Albi
Registered User
 
Albi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lavena - Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
thanx, I hope you're right...

Albi is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 11:11 AM
  #3
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,528
vCash: 500
er what exactly are you saying? that there's a deal agreed to but owners are going to veto it?

are you just saying that they've agreed to a deal but haven't written it up into a formal CBA yet and so we'll have to wait for that to happen before we get any real announcement?

Levitate is online now  
Old
02-04-2005, 11:45 AM
  #4
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
er what exactly are you saying? that there's a deal agreed to but owners are going to veto it?

are you just saying that they've agreed to a deal but haven't written it up into a formal CBA yet and so we'll have to wait for that to happen before we get any real announcement?
Last time the NHL and NHLPA did not put the deal in writing until after they started the camps and there were some items still pending

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 01:08 PM
  #5
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Last time the NHL and NHLPA did not put the deal in writing until after they started the camps and there were some items still pending
bettman has said that he won't do that this time, they aren't playing until the cba is signed.

NYR469 is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
  #6
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
TSN is reporting talks went badly and they had no progress at all. (Hard to believe you can talk for 9 hours straight and make NO progress). This is an unreal situation and im starting to just not care anymore. Screw hockey.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 02:47 PM
  #7
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
TSN is reporting talks went badly and they had no progress at all. (Hard to believe you can talk for 9 hours straight and make NO progress). This is an unreal situation and im starting to just not care anymore. Screw hockey.
yeah, it's extremely frustrating...hard to believe the NHL is going to be the first pro sport to cancel a season...first time there will be no stanley cup champion

i honestly hope that all the players go broke and all the owners are left with worthless franchises they couldn't sell for $1000

screw them both, this is a disgrace to the game of hockey and to all the fans who love it.

there is nothing redeeming about this in the least. it is not "good" in any sense, least of all that "the league will be able to get a better CBA deal!". that's a joke, this is a joke...cancel the season and i'm sincerely almost at the point where i hope the NHL folds and is gone for good, and another league with a clue takes its place. not quite there (cuz it'd be hard to not have the rangers to cheer for) but close

Levitate is online now  
Old
02-04-2005, 03:01 PM
  #8
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
yeah, it's extremely frustrating...hard to believe the NHL is going to be the first pro sport to cancel a season...first time there will be no stanley cup champion

i honestly hope that all the players go broke and all the owners are left with worthless franchises they couldn't sell for $1000

screw them both, this is a disgrace to the game of hockey and to all the fans who love it.

there is nothing redeeming about this in the least. it is not "good" in any sense, least of all that "the league will be able to get a better CBA deal!". that's a joke, this is a joke...cancel the season and i'm sincerely almost at the point where i hope the NHL folds and is gone for good, and another league with a clue takes its place. not quite there (cuz it'd be hard to not have the rangers to cheer for) but close
Well said!

Jackson Ranger is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 03:06 PM
  #9
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
first time there will be no stanley cup champion

Good post but I'm going to nitpick. It'll be the second time no stanley cup was awarded. 1918-1919 no stanley due to a flu epidemic

Sad stuff to say the least can't believe there isn't going to be even a tainted cup handed out.

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 03:13 PM
  #10
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
well i have been on the players side thruogh out but i'm getting tired of the bs that being handed out by both sides. i almost don't care anymore, i had my hopes up but not anymore. i've been saying for years that hiring bettman was the single worst decision the nhl ever made. the man is an absolute a-hole! death watch is almost to fruition and this league will never recover. rip nhl! ** bettman and ** bob goodenow!! hope you are happy!

sickboy35 is offline  
Old
02-04-2005, 11:02 PM
  #11
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
how can fans supports either side in this. neither side gives a crap about us.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 02:44 AM
  #12
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I think it all comes down to how you like your morning cup of crap. Some like it black while others prefer some cream and sugar and still others want it Irished up a bit.

Edge is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 09:21 AM
  #13
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
how can fans supports either side in this. neither side gives a crap about us.
well maybe i should rephrase that, i believe the pa more than i believe the owners. at least i used to. now both can drop in to a black pit of hell and burn for eternity! is that better?

sickboy35 is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 10:23 AM
  #14
Fish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think it all comes down to how you like your morning cup of crap. Some like it black while others prefer some cream and sugar and still others want it Irished up a bit.
I don't drink crap...I prefer a cold bottle of rhetoric and a couple of hash browns.

Fish is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 10:59 AM
  #15
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Propaganda over easy for me, thanks

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 11:02 AM
  #16
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I don't drink crap...I prefer a cold bottle of rhetoric and a couple of hash browns.
Not to beat an analogy to death or anything, but we're not being asked to drink out of a cup, we're being force-fed this crap by the shovel-full.

The reason why hockey could be the first major NA sport to lose a season to work stoppage is that NHL fans are such die-hards, and both the league and the players are taking advantage of us. This whole thing might harm short-term growth of the sport, but no-one believes that we, the core fans, won't come back in numbers...

...and unfortunately, they're right.

007 is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 11:06 AM
  #17
Broadway Brett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Florida, but born in
Country: United States
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
We got word that a deal HAS been reached in principle, enough to end the lockout, but not far enough for a new CBA. However, some owners will veto it becuase the ink won't be on the paper. I'll update as I hear it, but news should come out soon (if our source is correct).
It's amazing how much I can respect a poster with only 85 posts. But I drool at every tidbit you give us.

Thanks for the news. It seems like so many people with knowledge of the talks are completely running around in a circle. Tim Taylor believes that their will be a season, the NHL says talks were constructive, the NHLPA says they were pointless, you say that the CBA has been reached in principal. I don't know who to believe, I'm getting so confused.

And SOTI, do you mean that the deal has been reached in principal, but the owners will veto it, or some will try to? And will their be enough "OK's" for the CBA to be signed?

Broadway Brett is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 12:30 PM
  #18
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
It's amazing how much I can respect a poster with only 85 posts. But I drool at every tidbit you give us.

Thanks for the news. It seems like so many people with knowledge of the talks are completely running around in a circle. Tim Taylor believes that their will be a season, the NHL says talks were constructive, the NHLPA says they were pointless, you say that the CBA has been reached in principal. I don't know who to believe, I'm getting so confused.

And SOTI, do you mean that the deal has been reached in principal, but the owners will veto it, or some will try to? And will their be enough "OK's" for the CBA to be signed?
There wonīt be a season! Thats it you donīt have to be confused anymore. There isnīt a scenario in the world where Goodennow(sp?) would say what he did to the press today if there were a deal in principle in place. I had my hopes up yesterday like everyone else but its obvious that the rumors where all speculation, maybe from a player or from a team official it donīt matter. Bettman wonīt take anything else then a CBA based on a hardcap cost certainty system. The players wonīt agree to that, nothing has changed.

Something substansial has to happen to change the "momentum" for either the owners or the players. I have a really hard time to belive that this thing will be solved in untill christmas next year. Either the players or owners will revolt. Or something unforseeable will happen. But it wonīt happend now. Players/owners talked about missing this season in the summer of 2003.

Ola is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 12:34 PM
  #19
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
well maybe i should rephrase that, i believe the pa more than i believe the owners. at least i used to. now both can drop in to a black pit of hell and burn for eternity! is that better?
yes.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
  #20
Broadway Brett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Florida, but born in
Country: United States
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
There wonīt be a season! Thats it you donīt have to be confused anymore. There isnīt a scenario in the world where Goodennow(sp?) would say what he did to the press today if there were a deal in principle in place. I had my hopes up yesterday like everyone else but its obvious that the rumors where all speculation, maybe from a player or from a team official it donīt matter. Bettman wonīt take anything else then a CBA based on a hardcap cost certainty system. The players wonīt agree to that, nothing has changed.

Something substansial has to happen to change the "momentum" for either the owners or the players. I have a really hard time to belive that this thing will be solved in untill christmas next year. Either the players or owners will revolt. Or something unforseeable will happen. But it wonīt happend now. Players/owners talked about missing this season in the summer of 2003.
I know that their won't be a season. But this could start next season and I want to be assured that we will have hockey next season.

And I hope that the draft age is upped to 19, so they don't have to fight over draft position if the CBA is settled before the draft.

Broadway Brett is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 01:12 PM
  #21
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
This whole thing might harm short-term growth of the sport, but no-one believes that we, the core fans, won't come back in numbers...

...and unfortunately, they're right.
I do not think so. I think that the owners are in for a very unfortunate surprise. Not only do I think that a good amount of fans won't come back, but I also think that long-term the damage is even greater. Bettman did not cultivate any new fans. He did not market the game nor it's newer, younger stars. Thus, he cannot replace any of the fans that he did loose. NO ONE is playing street hockey right now. The majority of North America could care less that there is not hockey. Bettman has done nothing to grow the sport.

True Blue is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 01:16 PM
  #22
jessimanrules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
"I do not think so. I think that the owners are in for a very unfortunate surprise. Not only do I think that a good amount of fans won't come back, but I also think that long-term the damage is even greater."

Of course you don't True. You hate the owners. You think they lie all the time and that they will lose eventually

The fact is this. The only people who will lose and lose huge are the players. The owners will emerge laughing and with a cap. The players will end up eating it as always and lose tons of money in the process. The fans will come back in greater numbers then before because they will be hungry for hockey. Hockey fans don't jump ship off the sport. You should know that by now. I'm sure I'll be warned for this post for no reason at all but you continue to live in a dream world True where you blame the owners and think they will be hurt in the long run

The players are expendable assets. They will shut up and do what they are told eventually.

jessimanrules is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 01:43 PM
  #23
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=jessimanrulesOf course you don't True. You hate the owners. You think they lie all the time and that they will lose eventually
[/QUOTE]
I was more than willing to let it go, but you seem intent on pushing things. You make statements but then are afraid to answer questiona regarding them. You have avoided answering any questions that are tough to answer. Want to try again? Do you believe that the Rangers lost $40M? Simple enough question. Yes or no please. Do you believe that the Blackhawks lost the amount that they reported? Again, a simple yes or no will do. You have refused to answer these before, and I think that we all know why.
And, btw, when have I ever said that I hate the owners? Can you find just one instance?

"The only people who will lose and lose huge are the players. "

How is a franchise that lost it's value a positive thing?

"The players will end up eating it as always and lose tons of money in the process. "

Have you ANY idea of how accounting works? Do you understand what a devalued franchise is?

"The fans will come back in greater numbers then before because they will be hungry for hockey."

There are some teams in baseball that have never recovered. And you think hockey is different? And how can the fans possibly come back in greater numbers when there are no new fans that have been created?

"Hockey fans don't jump ship off the sport. You should know that by now."

Bet your bottom dollar that there will be fans that do not return. And if any part of next year is cancelled as well, then you are looking at a very large number.

"They will shut up and do what they are told eventually."

But not before there is ireperable damage done.

True Blue is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 01:53 PM
  #24
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessimanrules
"I do not think so. I think that the owners are in for a very unfortunate surprise. Not only do I think that a good amount of fans won't come back, but I also think that long-term the damage is even greater."

Of course you don't True. You hate the owners. You think they lie all the time and that they will lose eventually

The fact is this. The only people who will lose and lose huge are the players. The owners will emerge laughing and with a cap. The players will end up eating it as always and lose tons of money in the process. The fans will come back in greater numbers then before because they will be hungry for hockey. Hockey fans don't jump ship off the sport. You should know that by now. I'm sure I'll be warned for this post for no reason at all but you continue to live in a dream world True where you blame the owners and think they will be hurt in the long run

The players are expendable assets. They will shut up and do what they are told eventually.
You're right.

True, you have to stop blindly hating the owners in this and start looking at it from an objective prospective. Both sides are to blame, there is no way we should be supporting either side in this.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
02-05-2005, 01:55 PM
  #25
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
I know that their won't be a season. But this could start next season and I want to be assured that we will have hockey next season.
That is exactly what i am worried about. I gave up hope on this season a long time ago...it's next year that im worried about. Because i know as soon as they cancel the season officially, the two sides wont talk again until September..

Balej20* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.