HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conflicting reports

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2005, 09:40 AM
S_O_T_I

vCash: 500
Conflicting reports

We got word that a deal HAS been reached in principle, enough to end the lockout, but not far enough for a new CBA. However, some owners will veto it becuase the ink won't be on the paper. I'll update as I hear it, but news should come out soon (if our source is correct).

Old
02-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
thanx, I hope you're right...

Old
02-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Levitate

er what exactly are you saying? that there's a deal agreed to but owners are going to veto it?

are you just saying that they've agreed to a deal but haven't written it up into a formal CBA yet and so we'll have to wait for that to happen before we get any real announcement?

Old
02-04-2005, 11:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
er what exactly are you saying? that there's a deal agreed to but owners are going to veto it?

are you just saying that they've agreed to a deal but haven't written it up into a formal CBA yet and so we'll have to wait for that to happen before we get any real announcement?
Last time the NHL and NHLPA did not put the deal in writing until after they started the camps and there were some items still pending

Old
02-04-2005, 01:08 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Last time the NHL and NHLPA did not put the deal in writing until after they started the camps and there were some items still pending
bettman has said that he won't do that this time, they aren't playing until the cba is signed.

Old
02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Balej20*

TSN is reporting talks went badly and they had no progress at all. (Hard to believe you can talk for 9 hours straight and make NO progress). This is an unreal situation and im starting to just not care anymore. Screw hockey.

Old
02-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Levitate

Quote:
TSN is reporting talks went badly and they had no progress at all. (Hard to believe you can talk for 9 hours straight and make NO progress). This is an unreal situation and im starting to just not care anymore. Screw hockey.
yeah, it's extremely frustrating...hard to believe the NHL is going to be the first pro sport to cancel a season...first time there will be no stanley cup champion

i honestly hope that all the players go broke and all the owners are left with worthless franchises they couldn't sell for $1000

screw them both, this is a disgrace to the game of hockey and to all the fans who love it.

there is nothing redeeming about this in the least. it is not "good" in any sense, least of all that "the league will be able to get a better CBA deal!". that's a joke, this is a joke...cancel the season and i'm sincerely almost at the point where i hope the NHL folds and is gone for good, and another league with a clue takes its place. not quite there (cuz it'd be hard to not have the rangers to cheer for) but close

Old
02-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
yeah, it's extremely frustrating...hard to believe the NHL is going to be the first pro sport to cancel a season...first time there will be no stanley cup champion

i honestly hope that all the players go broke and all the owners are left with worthless franchises they couldn't sell for $1000

screw them both, this is a disgrace to the game of hockey and to all the fans who love it.

there is nothing redeeming about this in the least. it is not "good" in any sense, least of all that "the league will be able to get a better CBA deal!". that's a joke, this is a joke...cancel the season and i'm sincerely almost at the point where i hope the NHL folds and is gone for good, and another league with a clue takes its place. not quite there (cuz it'd be hard to not have the rangers to cheer for) but close
Well said!

Old
02-04-2005, 03:06 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
first time there will be no stanley cup champion

Good post but I'm going to nitpick. It'll be the second time no stanley cup was awarded. 1918-1919 no stanley due to a flu epidemic

Sad stuff to say the least can't believe there isn't going to be even a tainted cup handed out.

Old
02-04-2005, 03:13 PM
sickboy35

well i have been on the players side thruogh out but i'm getting tired of the bs that being handed out by both sides. i almost don't care anymore, i had my hopes up but not anymore. i've been saying for years that hiring bettman was the single worst decision the nhl ever made. the man is an absolute a-hole! death watch is almost to fruition and this league will never recover. rip nhl! ** bettman and ** bob goodenow!! hope you are happy!

Old
02-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Balej20*

how can fans supports either side in this. neither side gives a crap about us.

Old
02-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Edge

I think it all comes down to how you like your morning cup of crap. Some like it black while others prefer some cream and sugar and still others want it Irished up a bit.

Old
02-05-2005, 09:21 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
how can fans supports either side in this. neither side gives a crap about us.
well maybe i should rephrase that, i believe the pa more than i believe the owners. at least i used to. now both can drop in to a black pit of hell and burn for eternity! is that better?

Old
02-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think it all comes down to how you like your morning cup of crap. Some like it black while others prefer some cream and sugar and still others want it Irished up a bit.
I don't drink crap...I prefer a cold bottle of rhetoric and a couple of hash browns.

Old
02-05-2005, 10:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Propaganda over easy for me, thanks

Old
02-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I don't drink crap...I prefer a cold bottle of rhetoric and a couple of hash browns.
Not to beat an analogy to death or anything, but we're not being asked to drink out of a cup, we're being force-fed this crap by the shovel-full.

The reason why hockey could be the first major NA sport to lose a season to work stoppage is that NHL fans are such die-hards, and both the league and the players are taking advantage of us. This whole thing might harm short-term growth of the sport, but no-one believes that we, the core fans, won't come back in numbers...

...and unfortunately, they're right.

Old
02-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
We got word that a deal HAS been reached in principle, enough to end the lockout, but not far enough for a new CBA. However, some owners will veto it becuase the ink won't be on the paper. I'll update as I hear it, but news should come out soon (if our source is correct).
It's amazing how much I can respect a poster with only 85 posts. But I drool at every tidbit you give us.

Thanks for the news. It seems like so many people with knowledge of the talks are completely running around in a circle. Tim Taylor believes that their will be a season, the NHL says talks were constructive, the NHLPA says they were pointless, you say that the CBA has been reached in principal. I don't know who to believe, I'm getting so confused.

And SOTI, do you mean that the deal has been reached in principal, but the owners will veto it, or some will try to? And will their be enough "OK's" for the CBA to be signed?

Old
02-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
It's amazing how much I can respect a poster with only 85 posts. But I drool at every tidbit you give us.

Thanks for the news. It seems like so many people with knowledge of the talks are completely running around in a circle. Tim Taylor believes that their will be a season, the NHL says talks were constructive, the NHLPA says they were pointless, you say that the CBA has been reached in principal. I don't know who to believe, I'm getting so confused.

And SOTI, do you mean that the deal has been reached in principal, but the owners will veto it, or some will try to? And will their be enough "OK's" for the CBA to be signed?
There wonīt be a season! Thats it you donīt have to be confused anymore. There isnīt a scenario in the world where Goodennow(sp?) would say what he did to the press today if there were a deal in principle in place. I had my hopes up yesterday like everyone else but its obvious that the rumors where all speculation, maybe from a player or from a team official it donīt matter. Bettman wonīt take anything else then a CBA based on a hardcap cost certainty system. The players wonīt agree to that, nothing has changed.

Something substansial has to happen to change the "momentum" for either the owners or the players. I have a really hard time to belive that this thing will be solved in untill christmas next year. Either the players or owners will revolt. Or something unforseeable will happen. But it wonīt happend now. Players/owners talked about missing this season in the summer of 2003.

Old
02-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
well maybe i should rephrase that, i believe the pa more than i believe the owners. at least i used to. now both can drop in to a black pit of hell and burn for eternity! is that better?
yes.

Old
02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
There wonīt be a season! Thats it you donīt have to be confused anymore. There isnīt a scenario in the world where Goodennow(sp?) would say what he did to the press today if there were a deal in principle in place. I had my hopes up yesterday like everyone else but its obvious that the rumors where all speculation, maybe from a player or from a team official it donīt matter. Bettman wonīt take anything else then a CBA based on a hardcap cost certainty system. The players wonīt agree to that, nothing has changed.

Something substansial has to happen to change the "momentum" for either the owners or the players. I have a really hard time to belive that this thing will be solved in untill christmas next year. Either the players or owners will revolt. Or something unforseeable will happen. But it wonīt happend now. Players/owners talked about missing this season in the summer of 2003.
I know that their won't be a season. But this could start next season and I want to be assured that we will have hockey next season.

And I hope that the draft age is upped to 19, so they don't have to fight over draft position if the CBA is settled before the draft.

Old
02-05-2005, 01:12 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
This whole thing might harm short-term growth of the sport, but no-one believes that we, the core fans, won't come back in numbers...

...and unfortunately, they're right.
I do not think so. I think that the owners are in for a very unfortunate surprise. Not only do I think that a good amount of fans won't come back, but I also think that long-term the damage is even greater. Bettman did not cultivate any new fans. He did not market the game nor it's newer, younger stars. Thus, he cannot replace any of the fans that he did loose. NO ONE is playing street hockey right now. The majority of North America could care less that there is not hockey. Bettman has done nothing to grow the sport.

Old
02-05-2005, 01:16 PM
jessimanrules

"I do not think so. I think that the owners are in for a very unfortunate surprise. Not only do I think that a good amount of fans won't come back, but I also think that long-term the damage is even greater."

Of course you don't True. You hate the owners. You think they lie all the time and that they will lose eventually

The fact is this. The only people who will lose and lose huge are the players. The owners will emerge laughing and with a cap. The players will end up eating it as always and lose tons of money in the process. The fans will come back in greater numbers then before because they will be hungry for hockey. Hockey fans don't jump ship off the sport. You should know that by now. I'm sure I'll be warned for this post for no reason at all but you continue to live in a dream world True where you blame the owners and think they will be hurt in the long run

The players are expendable assets. They will shut up and do what they are told eventually.

Old
02-05-2005, 01:43 PM
True Blue

[QUOTE=jessimanrulesOf course you don't True. You hate the owners. You think they lie all the time and that they will lose eventually
[/QUOTE]
I was more than willing to let it go, but you seem intent on pushing things. You make statements but then are afraid to answer questiona regarding them. You have avoided answering any questions that are tough to answer. Want to try again? Do you believe that the Rangers lost $40M? Simple enough question. Yes or no please. Do you believe that the Blackhawks lost the amount that they reported? Again, a simple yes or no will do. You have refused to answer these before, and I think that we all know why.
And, btw, when have I ever said that I hate the owners? Can you find just one instance?

"The only people who will lose and lose huge are the players. "

How is a franchise that lost it's value a positive thing?

"The players will end up eating it as always and lose tons of money in the process. "

Have you ANY idea of how accounting works? Do you understand what a devalued franchise is?

"The fans will come back in greater numbers then before because they will be hungry for hockey."

There are some teams in baseball that have never recovered. And you think hockey is different? And how can the fans possibly come back in greater numbers when there are no new fans that have been created?

"Hockey fans don't jump ship off the sport. You should know that by now."

Bet your bottom dollar that there will be fans that do not return. And if any part of next year is cancelled as well, then you are looking at a very large number.

"They will shut up and do what they are told eventually."

But not before there is ireperable damage done.

Old
02-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessimanrules
"I do not think so. I think that the owners are in for a very unfortunate surprise. Not only do I think that a good amount of fans won't come back, but I also think that long-term the damage is even greater."

Of course you don't True. You hate the owners. You think they lie all the time and that they will lose eventually

The fact is this. The only people who will lose and lose huge are the players. The owners will emerge laughing and with a cap. The players will end up eating it as always and lose tons of money in the process. The fans will come back in greater numbers then before because they will be hungry for hockey. Hockey fans don't jump ship off the sport. You should know that by now. I'm sure I'll be warned for this post for no reason at all but you continue to live in a dream world True where you blame the owners and think they will be hurt in the long run

The players are expendable assets. They will shut up and do what they are told eventually.
You're right.

True, you have to stop blindly hating the owners in this and start looking at it from an objective prospective. Both sides are to blame, there is no way we should be supporting either side in this.

Old
02-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
I know that their won't be a season. But this could start next season and I want to be assured that we will have hockey next season.
That is exactly what i am worried about. I gave up hope on this season a long time ago...it's next year that im worried about. Because i know as soon as they cancel the season officially, the two sides wont talk again until September..

Closed Thread