HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Willing to Negotiate with NO Linkage

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2005, 01:36 PM
likea

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
If the owners are willing to negotiate w/o linkage ... I say duck the league ... I won't watch it anymore

it depends on what the cap is...if the cap comes in at 40 million, it may suffer the first year or two but hockey fans are die hard type people, they will be back in full force

I actually think the NHL might pick up fans because of a cap...esp in places like Pittsburgh and other small markets where they kept losing there best players to big market clubs

Old
02-13-2005, 12:15 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
[size=2]From my perspective, the linkage wasn’t even the worst part of the NHL's offer.

- the NHL's ability to eliminate arbitration
In return for lower UFA age. Not a bad deal if BOTH sides opt for it. NHL should have exclusive right to do it.

Quote:
- the 24% rollback
Players offer. Its neither here nor there since its a very short term thing that only alters exisiting contracts, any new contracts would be reduced anyway. M'eh, take or leave it.

Quote:
- the signing deadline
Its good, no its great. It forces both the team and the player to get a deal done or suffer the consequences.

Quote:
- arbitration deferal
Good for both sides. If a player posts 40 points, 45 points, 50 points and 90 points then goes to arbitration the club get the right to defer. If he goes to arbitration with 1 good season the arbitrator would look at him as a flash in the pan and not give him full value.

If he posts another 90 point season and then takes arbitration his case is MUCH stronger.

If he instead posts another 45 point season and then he didn't deserve the big contract.

If a player can defer being taken to arbitation after a bad year it'll cut both ways. That should would for both sides.

Quote:
- elimination of group 5 and 6 free agency
m'eh.

Closed Thread