HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL has lifted gag order

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
EricBowser

vCash: 500
NHL has lifted gag order

Pittsburgh CFO Ken Sawyer was interviewed and spoke at length about the lockout and what the league needs. The reporter said the NHL had lifted the gag order and wanted all the GMs and Owners to start talking in hopes to getting more players to join in the pressure calls to Goodenow to get a deal done now.

Apparently, a ton of players have been calling teams asking what can get done and then calling NHLPA demanding action.

I wouldn't be surprised if NHLPA has already called the NHL for a meeting and to present an offer or counter from last proposal.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
ttoad4000t

Send a message via AIM to ttoad4000t
we can only hope they come to a deal soon

Old
02-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Leafer4Life Send a message via Yahoo to Leafer4Life
I hope that this is true, but I can't get my hopes up about it..........

Old
02-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Let's hope that this motivation can get a deal done for October.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:20 PM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBowser
Pittsburgh CFO Ken Sawyer was interviewed and spoke at length about the lockout and what the league needs. The reporter said the NHL had lifted the gag order and wanted all the GMs and Owners to start talking in hopes to getting more players to join in the pressure calls to Goodenow to get a deal done now.

Apparently, a ton of players have been calling teams asking what can get done and then calling NHLPA demanding action.

I wouldn't be surprised if NHLPA has already called the NHL for a meeting and to present an offer or counter from last proposal.
Sawyer was interviewed by whom?

Do you have a link?

Old
02-11-2005, 10:21 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:

If true, this demonstrates how confident and united the owners are. They're not afraid of exposing a little dissension because that's all it amounts to.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Sawyer was interviewed by whom?

Do you have a link?
Yep, I was thinking that too. A link would be helpful.........

Old
02-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Captain Conservative

Until the past month or so, I really haven't missed hockey all that much, but recently its been like a part of me is missing. I know that sounds kind of melodramatic, but god damnit, there are very few things I like more than watching my boys play. I think when the reality of the whole thing comes crashing down, i'm really gonna be devastated. Football(soccer) is nice, but it just ain't the same.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:24 PM
EricBowser

City: Pittsburgh
Channel: UPN

Reporter: John Steigerwald, guest was Dejan Kovacevic, former NHL writer for Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, now beat writer for Pirates, MLB.

Interview took place at a downtown hotel lobby around 5:30 pm, I think the Mariott.

No link for a video, sorry.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:26 PM
EricBowser

Oh yeah, Sawyer also said...

the owners will discuss revenue-sharing among the teams once the NHL knows how much will need to be spent on players through the new agreement.

From there, the owners will create a plan to share the money needed to help teams pay for the required payrolls.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:30 PM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Oh yeah, Sawyer also said...

the owners will discuss revenue-sharing among the teams once the NHL knows how much will need to be spent on players through the new agreement.

From there, the owners will create a plan to share the money needed to help teams pay for the required payrolls.

Which is exactly how it should be.

The league and PA agree on a % and minimum cap. The owners guarantee that all 30 teams will survive and meet the minimum. The PA and league agree on the penalties for the league failing to live up to their guarantee.

At that point, the league decides amoungst the owners the private matter of revenue sharing to ensure their business plan works and their committments are met.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
Until the past month or so, I really haven't missed hockey all that much, but recently its been like a part of me is missing. I know that sounds kind of melodramatic, but god damnit, there are very few things I like more than watching my boys play. I think when the reality of the whole thing comes crashing down, i'm really gonna be devastated. Football(soccer) is nice, but it just ain't the same.
we've had other sports to watch, mostly Football, some baseball news in December, etc.

Now we enter the most boring part.

March.

for those of us who are not fans of Basketball this month is hell, NBA and NCAA Basketball. Usually we enter the end of the NHL Season, we have Trades, and Races to secure playoff spots to entertain us, but if the season is cancled, it will be Basketball, Basketball, BASKETBALL!

if you can be entertained by Basketball then you're fine, if not, then you will likely be bored to tears.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:32 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Also mentioned something similar on SportsNet during the 1st intermission (Edmonton vs Hamilton). It was the end though so I just caught the last few seconds.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Also mentioned something similar on SportsNet during the 1st intermission (Edmonton vs Hamilton). It was the end though so I just caught the last few seconds.
Interesting. Thanks for the info........

Old
02-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Anyone else think they should have done this about a month ago so that pressure would have been in place for the past important negotiations? If the Owners and GM's voices could actually add pressure that is. Or perhaps it would have just made Bettman and Daly's job more difficult during talks to have 30 owners spouting off on their personal beliefs.

Old
02-11-2005, 11:27 PM
EricBowser

perfect timing, once the D.D.D. was issued, what else could really go wrong, Bettman has his 8 owner group so he's fine.

Old
02-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Karl

Goodenow would be a fool if he ignored the players wishes to fall on his sword. He would be kissing his job goodbye if he doesn’t compromise a deal by the end of the weekend.

Old
02-11-2005, 11:59 PM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
I am really gonna have a hard time calling them "My Boys" after this experience but i will probably still go to the games (espcially since i hav'nt requested a refund for my tix)

Old
02-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Jaded-Fan

Love them or hate them, but whoever you support in this you have to be in awe of the NHL and how they handled this every step of the way. This has been sort of like watching Will Hunting (of Good Will Hunting) take on Rain Man and Jethro in a debate.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:16 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Im only in awe of how idiotic this was handled every step of the way by everyone.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:20 AM
likea

here is a link to both comments from Mario and Sawyer

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05043/456684.stm

Old
02-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz
Im only in awe of how idiotic this was handled every step of the way by everyone.
As a fan I can understand the setiment . . . but if I were an owner I might feel differently. The owners can not be happy about the very good chance of losing the year, but they almost expected that they would likely have that loss I would think. The owners had a goal and played this about as well as they could have. The players? I have no clue what they have been playing with. But were I a player I would be very very pissed at how my leadership had handled this. How many owners do you think are pissed with Bettman right now?

Old
02-12-2005, 12:25 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by likea
here is a link to both comments from Mario and Sawyer

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05043/456684.stm
Sawyer sounds confident about the Penguins' ability to weather the financial strain of not playing.

Last edited by misterjaggers: 02-12-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old
02-12-2005, 12:29 AM
vanlady

This is my favorite quote

Sawyer declined to say precisely how much money the Penguins will lose if the season is canceled, but pegged it at more than the roughly $3 million they lost in 2003-04.

If the Pens are losing more money in the lockout, how many other teams are?????

Old
02-12-2005, 12:34 AM
likea

what part of "the Penguins are fine and will not fold because of the lockout" don't people understand

not directed to you misterjaggers

they just got rid of most of their dept, via the courts

the jettisoned alot of payroll and played young players on purpose

they knew if a cap is to be put into place, it would be a buyers market and they will get deals on top notch players because all those big market teams cannot sign them

expect the Pens to sign 2 more big named free agents when this is over....if a bottom is put in place

if not they might wait, allow their kids to continue developing in the shorten season, get another great pick and bring Malkin, Fleury, Welch and Orpik along with Recchi, Mario and a couple FA's next season

Closed Thread