HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

ESPN Reports change of heart from PA

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2005, 09:34 AM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
ESPN Reports change of heart from PA

I dunno if this was already posted, but I was just listening to sportscenter, and they anchor said that Goodenow or Saskin, I forget cause they mentioned both, told the owners that they were willing to negotiate on a salary cap that is not tied to linkage, while the owners have told the players that a deal needs to be reached probably by Sunday to save the season. Then, Daly said that the NHL would be open to negotiating a cap not directly tied to linkage.
Source: ESPN sportscenter. I don't know why TSN or Sportsnet haven't picked this up.

I think that it will go down to the wire and there will be a deal reached, but that's just my opnion.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:36 AM
FLYLine24*

Anybody else hear this on another source? If this is indeed true that would be great news.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

It's encouraging news in terms of next season, but it's too late for this one.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:42 AM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

I didn't hear it from a different source but I did see the sportscenter report. Just figured I'd confirm what the first poster reported.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I personally don't have a lot of faith in ESPN. But it is good to finally hear an optimistic report from them.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:46 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingcrwns
I didn't hear it from a different source but I did see the sportscenter report. Just figured I'd confirm what the first poster reported.
Yea, but ESPN is not usually way off with these types of reports. Hradek does his own stuff and they report, but they said Goodenow, Saskin, and Daly all said what I posted in the first post. I just don't know how TSN didn't get this. Strange silence.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:47 AM
GODARD49

When jobs are on the line..the way Gary's and Bob's are...its never too late and dont be surprised if they play a 10 game season.....it wont happen but you get my point. if the season is cancelled, 1 if not both will be gone when hockey returns

Old
02-12-2005, 09:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I personally don't have a lot of faith in ESPN. But it is good to finally hear an optimistic report from them.

Ditto. I knew at some point this would happen. Or will happen.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:53 AM
txpd

the bad news is espn news is still running only the "a deal this weekend or else" comment from the league.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Mighty Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule
I dunno if this was already posted, but I was just listening to sportscenter, and they anchor said that Goodenow or Saskin, I forget cause they mentioned both, told the owners that they were willing to negotiate on a salary cap that is not tied to linkage, while the owners have told the players that a deal needs to be reached probably by Sunday to save the season. Then, Daly said that the NHL would be open to negotiating a cap not directly tied to linkage.
Source: ESPN sportscenter. I don't know why TSN or Sportsnet haven't picked this up.

I think that it will go down to the wire and there will be a deal reached, but that's just my opnion.
TSN doesn't have a night shift, and after 12 midnight ET, it is all re-run stuff. They are all tucked in, sleeping it off. The TSN boys should be up by noon ET.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Phil333

Because we do need a deal, at least in principle, by this weekend. And it's good to here something optimistic, and while this doesn't mean a deal is going to be reached, ESPN is a good source.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:06 AM
StanTheMan

Quote:

and last weekend espn reported that, according to an owner, the season was going to be cancelled within 48 hours.

the sources i will believe are the following: bettman, when he announces the season is cancelled; bettman, when he announces a deal has been reached.

until then, it's all just fantasy.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:13 AM
eye

Quote:

TSN and Sportsnet just show repeats of yesterday evenings sports so their news is not always up to date the following morning. Let's all hope this is true.

Maybe the players are starting to sense and see for themselves the HATRED AND DISGUST that is swelling up towards them by the fans that were once so supportive of them for letting us all down like they have to date.

Personally even if there is a solution I will never pay to see Bryan McCabe, Sean Avery, Chris Chelios or Chris Pronger ever play again.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Lorenzo1000

Nothing on espn.com about this.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:19 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
TSN and Sportsnet just show repeats of yesterday evenings sports so their news is not always up to date the following morning. Let's all hope this is true.

Maybe the players are starting to sense and see for themselves the HATRED AND DISGUST that is swelling up towards them by the fans that were once so supportive of them for letting us all down like they have to date.

Personally even if there is a solution I will never pay to see Bryan McCabe, Sean Avery, Chris Chelios or Chris Pronger ever play again.
Funny how these PA individuals seem to have irked most of us...these are also the same crew that makes the PA look very bad, and probably zip it...BTW it's Chri$ Pronger and Chri$ Chelio$...

Old
02-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
Because we do need a deal, at least in principle, by this weekend. And it's good to here something optimistic, and while this doesn't mean a deal is going to be reached, ESPN is a good source.
when did ESPN become a good source?

Old
02-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1000
Nothing on espn.com about this.
This was on Sportscenter (TV). They don't necessarily cover the same thing on their website.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Seat16inNJ

Send a message via AIM to Seat16inNJ
it

it was also on ESPNNews on the radio... i heard it too...

on their 20 minute update

Old
02-12-2005, 10:32 AM
DownFromNJ

ESPN radio reported the same thing last night.

I'm confident.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Crazy Lunatic

vCash:
Quote:

If this is true (and no offense, but I'll believe it when I see it) then this is HUGE news. It's beyond HUGE! Expect an announcement by Bettman on Monday that the cancellation of the season has been delayed and that both sides will continue to negotiate.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:59 AM
jfont

Awards:
*crosses fingers*

02-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Crazy Lunatic

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
*crosses fingers*
I have a feeling its a hoax though.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
We'll see... Seat16inNJ says that ESPNews has a 20 min update, similar to the FAN590.

www.espnews.com

I will be listening at 12:20 to hear the news report, probably most of you will be too.

Click "LISTEN TO THE LIVE FEED" at the top.

EDIT: Dammit... I wasn't paying attention and I missed it, did anyone catch it?

Last edited by Scoogs: 02-12-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old
02-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Crazy Lunatic

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
We'll see... Seat16inNJ says that ESPNews has a 20 min update, similar to the FAN590.

www.espnews.com

I will be listening at 12:20 to hear the news report, probably most of you will be too.

Click "LISTEN TO THE LIVE FEED" at the top.

EDIT: Dammit... I wasn't paying attention and I missed it, did anyone catch it?

I couldn't get it to work.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lunatic
I couldn't get it to work.
Yea, now that I try it, there is no sound. I get the "ESPN is brought to you by the USA Air Force" or something.... But after that, nothing.

Closed Thread