HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

ESPN Reports change of heart from PA

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Crazy Lunatic

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
Yea, now that I try it, there is no sound. I get the "ESPN is brought to you by the USA Air Force" or something.... But after that, nothing.
I'm thinking this was a hoax. If this isn't confirmed soon, the admins should take down this thread.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lunatic
I'm thinking this was a hoax. If this isn't confirmed soon, the admins should take down this thread.
Quite a few above confirmed hearing the same thing . . . it may be a hoax, but if so it is a well coordinated one with several on this board.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Well I don't think it was a hoax.. Just because ESPNews radio isnt available for streaming, doesn't make it a hoax.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Crazy Lunatic

vCash:
Quote:
Well I don't think it was a hoax.. Just because ESPNews radio isnt available for streaming, doesn't make it a hoax.
Saskin said as late as last night that the union is not interested in any form of cap. I'll beleive that before I believe some ESPN news story that isn't even mentioned on their website.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Saskin said as late as last night that the union is not interested in any form of cap. I'll beleive that before I believe some ESPN news story that isn't even mentioned on their website.
The NHL said that they absolutely NEED linkage. But here we are with Daly saying that the NHL is willing to negotiate a cap without linkage.

Alot of things were said during this lockout. Some quotes have merit, some serve no other purpose than a PR move.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:10 PM
spartyinmd

Folks...Daly was on FAN 590 last night and said this. It was before the Toronto Raptors game. He said this completely that he doesn't understand why the players haven't brought a proposal without linkage because the owners are willing to negotiate one without linkage as long as it is reasonable.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:15 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
The NHL said that they absolutely NEED linkage. But here we are with Daly saying that the NHL is willing to negotiate a cap without linkage.

Alot of things were said during this lockout. Some quotes have merit, some serve no other purpose than a PR move.
I think Goodenow would rather go to the courts and lose two years to keep his free market. He will never agree to a cap or any kind of ceiling that restricts the free market. He would give back 100 percent of exsisting contracts to keep open bidding to drive contracts because it works for the NHLPA.

Regarding the comments it does not seem like P.R at all by Saskin.

Saskin reiterated the players' opposition to any type of salary cap, even without linkage.

"They've always presented it as one concept, not two concepts," Saskin told The Score. "We're not interested in negotiating any arbitrary cap. If [Daly] has other ideas he would like to present, he should present them to us."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/ho...0884680.htm?1c
Hicks went on to say that the league owners are "100 percent committed to fixing hockey" with a system of cost certainty and that "the players have turned down the best offer they're ever going to get. I can say that with certainty."

Old
02-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Saprykin Fan

hey

I just seen it on the Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! daly said they can deal without linkage, and when told that Saskin seemed shocked and suprised in his interview afterwards.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Foppa_Rules

I want hockey!

Old
02-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Bauer83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saprykin Fan
I just seen it on the Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! daly said they can deal without linkage, and when told that Saskin seemed shocked and suprised in his interview afterwards.
I just saw that same thing on the score and it did not look optimistic at all from saskin's side. He just tried to ignore the question, and came back with an answer that tip toed around it. It looks to me like the PA is not going to move off anything. Sorry I had hope two weeks ago, but even with all the rumblings right now, I still feel we are just days away from the saga ended for the year. Hope I am wrong, but I would bet quite a bit of money saying there will be no hockey this year.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Foppa_Rules

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Scoogs

Saskin is just making himself look stupid. Its clear that comming off linkage is a HUGE compromise from the Leagues side. And Saskin goes on to say "We find ourselves without a negotiating partner throughout this process."

How amazingly stupid. They need to pull their heads out of their ***** and read between the lines.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:31 PM
cleduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saprykin Fan
From NHL.com - July NHL proposal (one of six options presented):
http://nhlcbanews.com/dalymail/daly_mailbag111504.html
A Hard Individual Team Salary Cap, which would be similar in concept to the system employed in the National Football League. Under this system, each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union and designated for player compensation. Cap administration rules, would, however, be negotiated to suit the particular and unique circumstances of the National Hockey League, and to minimize potential competitive advantages attributable to differences in financial resources among various Clubs.

Under a Hard Salary Cap System, player contracts could continue to be "guaranteed;" player agents would continue to perform their current function and role; and any concern about salary stratification between high-salaried star players and lower-salaried role players could be addressed by the League and the Union in collective bargaining.

There's no linkage mentioned in that hard cap system. I don't understand why this is "news". If it is, it is OLD news.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
It's confirmed by 4 posters in the thread. Leave the moderating to the moderators

Old
02-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Scoogs

Which again goes to show Saskin isnt really paying attention during these meetings. They accuse the NHL of lying, when they go spewing out "They didnt tell us this ". It was actually brought to their attention almost a year ago.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:36 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
From NHL.com - July NHL proposal (one of six options presented):
http://nhlcbanews.com/dalymail/daly_mailbag111504.html
A Hard Individual Team Salary Cap, which would be similar in concept to the system employed in the National Football League. Under this system, each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union and designated for player compensation. Cap administration rules, would, however, be negotiated to suit the particular and unique circumstances of the National Hockey League, and to minimize potential competitive advantages attributable to differences in financial resources among various Clubs.

Under a Hard Salary Cap System, player contracts could continue to be "guaranteed;" player agents would continue to perform their current function and role; and any concern about salary stratification between high-salaried star players and lower-salaried role players could be addressed by the League and the Union in collective bargaining.

There's no linkage mentioned in that hard cap system. I don't understand why this is "news". If it is, it is OLD news.
Thats linkage. Its tied to a portion of revenue and then divided by 30. NFL is linkage.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:38 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
I just saw that same thing on the score and it did not look optimistic at all from saskin's side. He just tried to ignore the question, and came back with an answer that tip toed around it. It looks to me like the PA is not going to move off anything.
Thing is, is that Saskin is so caught up in this - being trained and molded into this hardnosed guy negotiating on behalf of the union, that it doesn't really surprise me that he didn't seem publicly enthusiastic about the fact that Daly said there didn't have to be linkage. Deep down he knows it's something to work off of. I bet as soon as he finished that interview he was on the phone with the other union punks figuring out what move to make.

Whether anyone likes it or not, and even though the league slapped a bunch of triggers on it - the fact that the league is even entertaining the thought of using the Dec. 9 proposal means that they are willing to negotiate. It's the players' turn.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:39 PM
cleduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
Thats linkage. Its tied to a portion of revenue and then divided by 30. NFL is linkage.
Nope. "each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union"

Revenue is not mentioned. The cap is negotiated as is the administration of it.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Get Over Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Funny how these PA individuals seem to have irked most of us...these are also the same crew that makes the PA look very bad, and probably zip it...BTW it's Chri$ Pronger and Chri$ Chelio$...
We'll try to get word to Chelios and Pronger to knock it off. Certainly don't want to upset you and Eye. The nerve of those guys.

(The self-importance quotient reaching new highs among a few delusional fans, it appears.)

Old
02-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Foppa_Rules

Quote:
Nope. "each team's payroll would not be permitted to exceed 1/30th of the League-wide amount negotiated with the Union"

Revenue is not mentioned. The cap is negotiated as is the administration of it.

But in the NHL's proposal before the "compromise proposal", they mentioned a minimum payroll of 32 million and a maximum payroll of 42 million. I don't remember if that was linked to revenues, but it was supposed to be a floating cap.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Foppa_Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
We'll try to get word to Chelios and Pronger to knock it off. Certainly don't want to upset you and Eye. The nerve of those guys.

(The self-importance quotient reaching new highs among a few delusional fans, it appears.)

...maybe that has something to do with the fact that the fans are being totally ignored while the NHL and NHLPA walk out of 9-hour meetings with NO progress time and time again.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Crazy Lunatic

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa_Rules
But in the NHL's proposal before the "compromise proposal", they mentioned a minimum payroll of 32 million and a maximum payroll of 42 million. I don't remember if that was linked to revenues, but it was supposed to be a floating cap.
A floating cap is a cap linked to revenues. The 32-42 number was based on last years revenues.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:48 PM
cleduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa_Rules
That has nothing to do with this July proposal/concept. An issue raised in this thread is that somehow, the concept of negotiating a hard cap without linkage is new to this processs and somehow a possible break through. It isn't. It is old news and was rejected by the NHLPA last July.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Foppa_Rules

Quote:
That has nothing to do with this July proposal/concept. An issue raised in this thread is that somehow, the concept of negotiating a hard cap without linkage is new to this processs and somehow a possible break through. It isn't. It is old news and was rejected by the NHLPA last July.

Well, it seems to me that the NHL started out with a softer view of the necessary salary cap but has gotten more and more hardened as the negotiations have been going on. So in that sense it could be called a breakthrough that they are willing (maybe) to go back to the softer view of it. Now the NHLPA may be willing to take that deal given the alternatives.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Crazy Lunatic

vCash:
Quote:
Ted Saskin is under the impression that you are wrong.

Closed Thread