HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Who won the fight?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 1575
Who won the fight?

I was just looking at todays scores and I noticed that Ari Ahonen had 17 minutes in penalties, so I looked at the PIM stat sheet and it said he got in a fight with Ray Emery! If anyone saw what happend can you fill me in on what the hell happend?

Old
02-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Hey, didn't Emery fight the Phantoms goalie last year?

Emery's getting to be more and more of my favorite goalie prospect..

Old
02-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Bileur

I dont think they ever really fought, from what I can gather Ahonen came over to break up a 2-1 and Emery came over and knocked him down with 1 punch.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:00 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
I dont think they ever really fought, from what I can gather Ahonen came over to break up a 2-1 and Emery came over and knocked him down with 1 punch.
yep, that's about right. Emery and Skrlac actually started the melee.

Last edited by ratsgirl: 02-12-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old
02-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Venom_17

Emery one punched Ari. He turtled. Ray fought Skrlac before that, and held his own. There you go.

Old
02-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47

Ray Emery had several one on one fights with forwards when he was in the OHL playing for the Soo. No jokes.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
Ray Emery had several one on one fights with forwards when he was in the OHL playing for the Soo. No jokes.
Yep, and thats the reason why, despite being Senators property, he's currently my favourite prospective NHL goaltender.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:49 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

video of this online??

Old
02-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
And he's continued it into the AHL. I believe Emery had 5 fighting majors last year, which is absolutely rediculous for a goalie. He doesn't take crap from anyone. However from what I understand, the Sens haven't exactly been pleased with his eagerness to fight and asked him to seriously channel his anger in other ways.

I've also heard that not only does he fight, but he gets a lot of penalties for slashing and just beating up opposing forwards who try to stand in his crease. If he can get away with it, then it's obviously going to be helpful to him. But if hes getting penalties, then powerplays for the other team are obviously not in the best interest of the club.

Regardless of whether he needs to tone it down or not, he's still one of my favourite prospects for the simple fact that he's such an interesting player.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:41 PM
bruins4777*

I love ray, he's one of my favorite prospects due to his temper. His attitude is like ron hextall, but he doesn't play much like ron.

The sens have 2 very chippy goaltenders. Thompson doesn't exactly fight but he hacks players in front of him and shoves quite a bit, some times it causes him goals. However, Emery straight up attacks people, i don't mind, i like to see that in a goalie.

Odd that the sens, a team who were so eager to gain grit after being called soft, are worried that their goaltender is too gritty.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
Emery one punched Ari. He turtled. Ray fought Skrlac before that, and held his own. There you go.
He suckered/jumped him. The guy is a moron.

Old
02-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Ticallion961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47

I think Emery fought Chiodo last year too...might be wrong though

either way, he;s got a rough side to him

Old
02-13-2005, 02:17 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
He is indeed a moron. He did the same kind of thing to Michel Ouellet last season and got suspended for it. And if I'm not mistaken, he also jumped now teammate Denis Hamel and got suspended for that as well a season or two ago, and also received a suspension last season for abusing an official. That kind of track record is totally unacceptable, especially for a goaltender.

He has great talent, he doesn't need to do crap like that. Its only going to hold him back.

Last edited by clefty: 02-13-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Old
02-13-2005, 02:57 AM
Venom_17

Quote:
All I know is if I was Ari I would have stayed in my crease.

Old
02-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
He is indeed a moron. He did the same kind of thing to Michel Ouellet last season and got suspended for it. And if I'm not mistaken, he also jumped now teammate Denis Hamel and got suspended for that as well a season or two ago, and also received a suspension last season for abusing an official. That kind of track record is totally unacceptable, especially for a goaltender.

He has great talent, he doesn't need to do crap like that. Its only going to hold him back.
I don't recall the exact words but Sens GM John Muckler made some comments late last year about how the Ottawa upper management was sick and tired of Emery's actions. I do recall he finished his comment by saying he didn't now what they were going to do with this guy.
I also remember some offseason comments by Emery about how he has finally realized that he needs to calm down if he ever hopes to see the NHL on a regular bases. Apparently he has a very short memory.

Old
02-13-2005, 07:45 AM
It Kills Me

Clip Clip Clip?

Old
02-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Jargin

Quote:
Now I didn't see the game, but it was Ahonen who came down to Emery right? How could Emery have jumped him if it was Ahonen who came down to fight in the frist place?

Old
02-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargin
Now I didn't see the game, but it was Ahonen who came down to Emery right? How could Emery have jumped him if it was Ahonen who came down to fight in the frist place?
From what I read there was 2 Senators on 1 Rat, Ahonen came to help that Rat and then Emery came and jumped Ahonen.

Emery's a total loser.

Old
02-13-2005, 05:25 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
From what I read there was 2 Senators on 1 Rat, Ahonen came to help that Rat and then Emery came and jumped Ahonen.

Emery's a total loser.
That's a pretty dumb conclusion.

If Ahonen was going down to even the score, he should have expected someone to take him on. And Emery was the likely candidate given that goalies usually match up with each other in on-ice brawls.

How could Emery jump him, if Emery was already involved with another Rat? If Emery wasn't involved with a Rat already, how was there a 2 on 1 on a Rat?

Old
02-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Venom_17

You're a goalie, you leave your crease, you are FAIR GAME for the other goalie. Whether Ray "jumped" him or not is subjective. Ari should have expected it for meddling, especially with Ray already out of the net.

You can't really call the guy a moron unless you know him personally. Just because he has a temper on the ice doesn't mean he is a "moron" or a "loser." Call him a hothead or say that he hurts his team. 20 bucks says you wouldn't call him a moron or loser to his face.

Old
02-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
You're a goalie, you leave your crease, you are FAIR GAME for the other goalie. Whether Ray "jumped" him or not is subjective. Ari should have expected it for meddling, especially with Ray already out of the net.

You can't really call the guy a moron unless you know him personally. Just because he has a temper on the ice doesn't mean he is a "moron" or a "loser." Call him a hothead or say that he hurts his team. 20 bucks says you wouldn't call him a moron or loser to his face.
I would with a bat in my hands....I would beat the living stupidity out of him too.

Old
02-13-2005, 08:12 PM
paxtang

Now I'm a fight fan, but just because a goalie comes down to help even up a brawl doesn't make him fair game. If he doesn't want to fight, he doesn't want to fight. Emery provides a lot of entertainment, but he's got a two cent head, and everything I've heard is that he jumped Ahnonen, and I wouldn't put it past him. I'm not going to judge him, I don't really care what he does, but don't try to blame this on Ahnonen for just doing his job just because you guys want to act like homers.

Old
02-13-2005, 08:13 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Now I'm a fight fan, but just because a goalie comes down to help even up a brawl doesn't make him fair game. If he doesn't want to fight, he doesn't want to fight. Emery provides a lot of entertainment, but he's got a two cent head, and everything I've heard is that he jumped Ahnonen, and I wouldn't put it past him. I'm not going to judge him, I don't really care what he does, but don't try to blame this on Ahnonen for just doing his job just because you guys want to act like homers.

2nded.

Old
02-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Egil

Quote:
The goalie skating out past center is a signal that I want to fight the other goalie. Period.

Old
02-13-2005, 09:37 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Now I'm a fight fan, but just because a goalie comes down to help even up a brawl doesn't make him fair game.
What the hell kind of idiotic statement is this?

He's coming down to fight. That's what a brawl is. A bunch of guys fighting. If you want to fight you're fair game.

What would make him fair game in your world? Does he have to wear a big billboard that states he can be hit? Does Ray Emery have to ask Ahonen's mother permission to punch her son?

Closed Thread