HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Who won the fight?

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2005, 09:40 PM
YellHockey*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
He suckered/jumped him. The guy is a moron.
How far from the brawl were your seats?

Old
02-13-2005, 09:46 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
How far from the brawl were your seats?

It's only 1008 miles from Albany to Donkin.

Old
02-13-2005, 09:59 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
The goalie skating out past center is a signal that I want to fight the other goalie. Period.
********. You can come down to break up a fight and make it even if the other goalie is involved (which Emery was) and obviously not want to fight. That's all the other goalie is recquired to do. If he wants to fight, he'll make it known. It's happened many a time.

Old
02-13-2005, 10:01 PM
paxtang

Quote:
What the hell kind of idiotic statement is this?

He's coming down to fight. That's what a brawl is. A bunch of guys fighting. If you want to fight you're fair game.

What would make him fair game in your world? Does he have to wear a big billboard that states he can be hit? Does Ray Emery have to ask Ahonen's mother permission to punch her son?
How about challenging him? Many times in a brawl, players who don't want to fight pair off and don't trade blows. If Emery wasn't challenged, then he simply took it upon himself to beat up the other goalie. I'm not judging him, I'm just saying that the fact that people are acting like Ahnonen got what he deserved for simply doing what you are supposed to do is just Sens fans trying to find justification.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Bileur

If Ahonen wanted to stay out of it he could have stayed in his net like he did when Thompson was challenging him last time. The guy got shelled he'd obviousely be pissed.

Its not like its an Arvedson-Domi situation when one was trying to escape, Ahonen came into the brawl, you cant really expect "fairness" after SKRLAC was fighting Emery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
he also jumped now teammate Denis Hamel and got suspended for that as well a season or two ago,
To be fair Hamel did supposedly make a racial comment.

Old
02-14-2005, 02:39 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur

To be fair Hamel did supposedly make a racial comment.
It still doesn't make it OK.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:11 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

video clip online?

video clip online?

Old
02-14-2005, 04:19 AM
Pepper

Quote:
What the hell kind of idiotic statement is this?

He's coming down to fight. That's what a brawl is. A bunch of guys fighting. If you want to fight you're fair game.

What would make him fair game in your world? Does he have to wear a big billboard that states he can be hit? Does Ray Emery have to ask Ahonen's mother permission to punch her son?
There was 2 Sens fighting 1 Rat - that itself is a definite no-no. From what I read, neither of those Sens were Emery. Ahone saw that his teammate was getting doubleteamed and went to help, NOT NECESSARILY TO FIGHT but to pull him away. Then Emery saw this, skated and jumped Ahonen who already had a partner.

If you had seen any real hockey you would know that in many scrums only one or two pairings actually fight, others just grab a partner and watch.

And I don't have to know Emery to say he's a moron, he has been warned by Muckler not to pull stunts like this and he still does it, how smart is that??

Emery not only jumped Ahonen, he was also a 3rd man in (or 5th, however you want to see it). Very cheap moves anyway by Emery, if he wanted to fight Ahonen he would have challenged him and THEN kick his ass, not by jumping him.

But then again, I don't expect you to get it, you have proven your inability to comprehend simple things like that.

Last edited by ratsgirl: 02-14-2005 at 11:37 AM. Reason: play nice
Old
02-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper

There was 2 Sens fighting 1 Rat - that itself is a definite no-no. From what I read, neither of those Sens were Emery. Ahone saw that his teammate was getting doubleteamed and went to help, NOT NECESSARILY TO FIGHT but to pull him away. Then Emery saw this, skated and jumped Ahonen who already had a partner.

If you had seen any real hockey you would know that in many scrums only one or two pairings actually fight, others just grab a partner and watch.

And I don't have to know Emery to say he's a moron, he has been warned by Muckler not to pull stunts like this and he still does it, how smart is that??

Emery not only jumped Ahonen, he was also a 3rd man in (or 5th, however you want to see it). Very cheap moves anyway by Emery, if he wanted to fight Ahonen he would have challenged him and THEN kick his ass, not by jumping him.

But then again, I don't expect you to get it, you have proven your inability to comprehend simple things like that.

You guys are being very objective I see, conviniently forgetting things like the fact that Clouthier(6'5 225)-Jannsen(5'11 210)-Skrlac(6'5 245) line were out for Albany? (notice three goons) Against the powerhouses of Kelly(6'0 190)-Kavanaugh(6'3 190)-Bochenski(6'1 195). Or also forgetting the fact that a teams HEAVYWEIGHT was fighting the other teams GOALIE. I dont care what the goalie did or didnt do that is 100% unacceptable. If you actually think this was not done on purpose to try and get Emery off his game/thrown out you're out in right field.
BTW Clouthier (6'5 225) supposedly drilled Kelly (6'0 190) with a punch from behind.

I'm sorry after all this BS going down, anything that happens to Ahonen after he comes down the ice is 100% Albany's fault.

Last edited by ratsgirl: 02-14-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old
02-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Bileur

Quote:
It still doesn't make it OK.

Version 1: Emery jumped Hamel out of the blue.

Version 2/true version: Hamel made some comment involving the use of nigg.. (100% unacceptable in professional sports and everywhere else) and then after the game was pretty much decided Emery went after him next time Hamel came close.

The use of things like this to get Emery off his game are commonplace (not neccesarily the racial slurs) and they are also part of teams GAMEPLANS. It doesent make it right but it does give you perspective into the situation.

Version 1. is an attempt to make him look bad. I'm just clearing things up.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:27 PM
rebedom

After watching that suck hole Patty Lalemon for so many years I love the fact that Emery has a mean streak and will take guys on who take runs at him or take on the other team's goalie who crosses centre, that's hockey. If all of the Ottawa Senator players played with that kind of passion we would have had a parade instead of Tampa Bay. I can remember so many times Lalime or Prusek getting run and nobody doing anything about it. Neil was always willing but that may have more to do with Jacques Martin who wanted his team to play more like a ringette team than an NHL team. Very happy that both Lalemon and Jacquette are both gone. How often does Emery get run over?

Old
02-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Pepper

Hey its ok to fight opponents goalie but you don't jump him and you don't go fighting him if he's already involved with your teammate. Those are very basic rules.

Old
02-14-2005, 01:10 PM
paxtang

Quote:
You guys are being very objective I see, conviniently forgetting things like the fact that Clouthier(6'5 225)-Jannsen(5'11 210)-Skrlac(6'5 245) line were out for Albany? (notice three goons) Against the powerhouses of Kelly(6'0 190)-Kavanaugh(6'3 190)-Bochenski(6'1 195). Or also forgetting the fact that a teams HEAVYWEIGHT was fighting the other teams GOALIE. I dont care what the goalie did or didnt do that is 100% unacceptable. If you actually think this was not done on purpose to try and get Emery off his game/thrown out you're out in right field.
BTW Clouthier (6'5 225) supposedly drilled Kelly (6'0 190) with a punch from behind.

I'm sorry after all this BS going down, anything that happens to Ahonen after he comes down the ice is 100% Albany's fault.
I don't see how a question of objectivity comes here. I'm not a fan of either team, I'm simply a fight fan. I like Emery. I wish all goalies were as willing to scrap as he was.

I was simply pointing out that people were acting like Ahnonen got what he deserved, that breaking up an uneven situation makes him fair game for being attacked. I didn't say Emery was exactly "in the wrong" just that he was the aggresor. He obviously wanted to fight, Ari didn't.

As far as who's "fault" this brawl was, I think it was pretty obvious what Albany's intentions were when they put out Skrlac, Clouthier and Janssen. Maybe Skrlac wouldn't have gotten into it with Emery if Emery wasn't so liberal with his stick, but I think you can put the blame squarely on Albany's shoulder. And I guess if you look at it that way, Emery's attacking Ahnonen was pay back for what Albany did. Either way, I don't know what the Sens were doing with the lineup they put onto the ice. I know McGratton was on the bench, but at least put Bois out there.

Old
02-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
I don't think it really matters what Ahonen got himself into. Had it been the guy he tangled himself up with that hit him, then that's completely fair and a part of hockey. But punching a guy when he's already involved with another guy is bush league. Just about any time a fight breaks out, the rule is you grab the guy closest to you and hold him so he doesn't jump in, then you let the fighters or refs finish it. That does not make you fair game for anyone to punch you except the guy you grab.

Everything else about Ahonen being a goalie and challenging Emery by leaving his crease is just rhetoric. He made it very clear what his intention was and it wasn't to fight the other goalie.

Old
02-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

I didn't see the fight so I can't comment on whether or not Emery sucker punched/jumped Ahonen.

I will however say this- Ahonen made himself fair game. By dropping your gloves, taking off your mask, and jetting off to the end of the ice people are going to get the impression you want to fight. If he just wanted to be a peacemaker, I'm sorry, people aren't going to assume that in a bench clearing brawl. Again, I won't comment on wheter Emery was right in his approach to the fight, but anyone who's making him a bad guy for wanting to toss them with the opposing goaltender is grasping at straws. Goalies fight goalies (and in Emery's case, other skaters too).

If Ahonen chose to drop his gloves, take off his mask, and skate to the other end of the ice (which we all agree he did) but didn't expect to be challanged he's even stupider than Ray is.

Old
02-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Jargin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
I don't think it really matters what Ahonen got himself into. Had it been the guy he tangled himself up with that hit him, then that's completely fair and a part of hockey. But punching a guy when he's already involved with another guy is bush league. Just about any time a fight breaks out, the rule is you grab the guy closest to you and hold him so he doesn't jump in, then you let the fighters or refs finish it. That does not make you fair game for anyone to punch you except the guy you grab.

Everything else about Ahonen being a goalie and challenging Emery by leaving his crease is just rhetoric. He made it very clear what his intention was and it wasn't to fight the other goalie.
Since you obviously saw the game, tell me how Ahonen made it clear it wasn't his purpose to fight Emery.

Every time I have seen a brawl break out where both goalies are involved in some way, they end up fighting, or at least pair off with each other. I've never seen two goalies involved in a brawl while staying clear of each other.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargin
Since you obviously saw the game, tell me how Ahonen made it clear it wasn't his purpose to fight Emery.

Every time I have seen a brawl break out where both goalies are involved in some way, they end up fighting, or at least pair off with each other. I've never seen two goalies involved in a brawl while staying clear of each other.
Maybe when he turns his back to the other goaltender. That is usually a pretty good hint....I guess not for stone head Emery. Me......Fight.......other......goaltender

Old
02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

All this bickering is ruining what was otherwise a perfectly excellent brawl. :mad:

Old
02-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl
All this bickering is ruining what was otherwise a perfectly excellent brawl. :mad:
What else did you have to cheer for

Old
02-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

Jumped or not (again, I didn't see the incedent), I'd be somewhat embarrased if I were Ahonen:

Old
02-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Ahonen looks JUST like Tommy Salo there!!

Old
02-14-2005, 05:21 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.Utd
Jumped or not (again, I didn't see the incedent), I'd be somewhat embarrased if I were Ahonen:
here's a another perspective; a picture from an albany fan site, it's not the greatest photo, but that's ahonen in the middle facing chris kelly and with his back mostly to emery:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...72721054RTTzjE

Last edited by ratsgirl: 02-14-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old
02-14-2005, 06:26 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Version 1. is an attempt to make him look bad. I'm just clearing things up.
He's done a good enough job of making himself look bad. Even if one were to disregard the situation with Hamel (which one shouldn't), he still has an atrocious record. I think abusing officials, hacking players with your stick, jumping other players, and clocking opponents over the head with your blocker is what makes him look bad, not the 'distorted' views of one event.

Old
02-14-2005, 06:51 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl
here's a another perspective; a picture from an albany fan site, it's not the greatest photo, but that's ahonen in the middle facing chris kelly and with his back mostly to emery:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...72721054RTTzjE
that sure looks like Ahonen wasn't looking for a fight at all...

seriously, let go of the sour grapes, all of you. at this point that's all this is. Emery's a fighter, deal with it. I don't see anybody going around calling Skrlac names and insulting his intelligence simply because he gets into fights, why is that? Lay off.

Old
02-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I don't see how a question of objectivity comes here. I'm not a fan of either team

I dont particularily mean you.

It does seem to me like an objectivity problem when you've got people whining about Emery being "Bush league" or a caveman etc... without even looking at the real situation, and the mirror to see that their team's "bushleague" tactics are what got everything started.

I'd ask a few questions first. Like:

1. I heard Clouthier blind sided Kelly with a sucker punch. Is this true?

2. If it is true, could this maybe have lead to that 2 two on one? (Platil coming in after Clouthier since it seems pretty obvious they were the ones in the 2-1)

or even

3. What was Skrlac doing 2 seconds before Emery "tried to take off his genitals".

People are making it seem like Emery's this bad guy who started the whole thing etc... Thats where I see a lack of objectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven
that sure looks like Ahonen wasn't looking for a fight at all...

seriously, let go of the sour grapes, all of you. at this point that's all this is. Emery's a fighter, deal with it. I don't see anybody going around calling Skrlac names and insulting his intelligence simply because he gets into fights, why is that? Lay off.
Who insulted Skrlac?

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I should have said "make him look worse"

IMO he's getting more heat than he deserves because of his history. Lots of goalies hack and slash or abuse officials in the NHL, without nearly as much notoriety.

Last edited by Bileur: 02-14-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Closed Thread