HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Who won the fight?

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2005, 07:13 PM
ZombieMatt

vCash: 500
I think it's pretty safe to say that things got started because of who Albany put on the ice. Rob Skrlac hits the ice for only one reason.

Ahonen was an idiot for ever leaving his crease. A goalie who heads towards a brawl should be looking for the other goalie, it is simply the way these things break down. IF Emery hit him from behind that is obviously a big no no. But, does anybody know, why Ahonen's back was to the guy he should have been looking for?

Old
02-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Bob Howard

Hi all, my name is Bob Howard from Binghamton Hockey.net and the man that took the tainted (ratsgirl or Pepper) pictures of the game in Albany.

What is being mis-represented in the whole Emery/Ahonen situation is that Binghamton's Captain Chris Kelly was PUNCHED from behind by one of the Albany enforcers Clouthier, Platil doing what all tough D-Men would do then went after Clouthier, as Kelly did the same of coarse.

Ahonen came down and went after one of the two that was teaming up on Clouthier, until Emery who was finished at that point with Rob went after Ahonen seeing him skate by him.

My opinion, Emery saw Ahonen going after the captain of the B-Sens, and no matter was not going to let him go there, no matter what he was attempting to do...

And about my pictures.....all 18 I took went on the site, nothing was left off. If I am so one sided Ratsgirl, then why would I say in one of the captions under the pics that Cam had the upperhand on Danny Bois??? Wouldn't I have spinned it towards Danny some how.

Maybe your angry that the Rats lost bad, Im sorry you had to whitness that, but dont acuse Emery who was provoked into fighting of doing something BAD in a BRAWL & please dont every acuse me of being biased just because of my site...

Clouthier attacked the Captian, Janssen attacked like a madman half naked; Platil was an idiot swinging the helmet around; TWO RATS in the penalty box tried to go after Gratts as shown in my pic; Gratts did not get a misconduct for trying to leave the box, but because he went after the TWO RATS in the box...

Old
02-14-2005, 07:57 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Who insulted Skrlac?
Nobody did... that's my point. People are calling Emery very strong names and using insults they would never dare utter to his face because he gets into fights... I'm asking why those same things aren't being said of (insert good name here, I used Skrlac as an example) since they fight too.

Old
02-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven
Nobody did... that's my point. People are calling Emery very strong names and using insults they would never dare utter to his face because he gets into fights... I'm asking why those same things aren't being said of (insert good name here, I used Skrlac as an example) since they fight too.

My bad, I totally missed that "I don't see anybody going around" part.

Old
02-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl
here's a another perspective; a picture from an albany fan site, it's not the greatest photo, but that's ahonen in the middle facing chris kelly and with his back mostly to emery:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...72721054RTTzjE

Two points on that picture:

-It looks quite obvious Ahonen wanted to fight, just not Emery (who he should have gone after in the first place, being a goalie and all. If anything Ahonen is the guilty one, fighting a skater armed with 10x his padding, big man he is . At least when Emery goes after a skater there isn't a goaltender right next to him who he could challange).

-An Albany player is hitting a Sen from behind, why no fuss over that?

-Albany sent out a line full of goons. Apparently one of them sucker punched Kelly to start the whole brawl. No word of that incedent.......

I fail to see how we can paint Emery as a bad guy here. It was a bench clearing brawl and Ahonen made himself fair game by leaving the crease and tossing his fists.

Old
02-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Bob Howard

Ok, how far is he in the crease???

Thanks for pointing out the gallery that also shows how far Rob is in the blue attacking Ray.....but hey thats cool!

Old
02-14-2005, 08:57 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.Utd
Two points on that picture:

-It looks quite obvious Ahonen wanted to fight, just not Emery (who he should have gone after in the first place, being a goalie and all. If anything Ahonen is the guilty one, fighting a skater armed with 10x his padding, big man he is . At least when Emery goes after a skater there isn't a goaltender right next to him who he could challange).

-An Albany player is hitting a Sen from behind, why no fuss over that?

-Albany sent out a line full of goons. Apparently one of them sucker punched Kelly to start the whole brawl. No word of that incedent.......

I fail to see how we can paint Emery as a bad guy here. It was a bench clearing brawl and Ahonen made himself fair game by leaving the crease and tossing his fists.
A) It's much harder to fight with all that padding on. I don't understand the arguement, like he was going to get hit in his shins or something?

B) I think it's already been discussed that Albany did plenty dirty in this brawl.

Old
02-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Bileur

It is much harder to fight w/ all the equipment. Just look at it.

Reg. shoulder vs. Goalie pads example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e12.jpg‎ (10.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cp48.jpg‎ (11.2 KB, 3 views)

Old
02-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
If a goaltender leaves the crease he should be fair game in a brawl. Just not by a sucker punch from a goaltender that knows he could beat him anyway. The picture Ratsgirl posted clearly shows Emery suckering Ahonen in the back of the head. I am glad Skrlac beat the hell out of Emery. That is the third time Emery wanted to fight Ahonen. The two other times were in Albany wins and Ahonen declined, so Emery like took it to himself to beat him from behind.

Old
02-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
If a goaltender leaves the crease he should be fair game in a brawl. Just not by a sucker punch from a goaltender that knows he could beat him anyway. The picture Ratsgirl posted clearly shows Emery suckering Ahonen in the back of the head. I am glad Skrlac beat the hell out of Emery. That is the third time Emery wanted to fight Ahonen. The two other times were in Albany wins and Ahonen declined, so Emery like took it to himself to beat him from behind.

Despite agreeing that Emery should not have hit him from behind I feel the need to add: suck it up.

Your team started it, not only starting the brawl, and getting Emery warmed up (look at where Skrlac was in his crease) but also started the cheap shotting w/ the Clouthier on Kelly thing.

Old
02-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Despite agreeing that Emery should not have hit him from behind I feel the need to add: suck it up.

Your team started it, not only starting the brawl, and getting Emery warmed up (look at where Skrlac was in his crease) but also started the cheap shotting w/ the Clouthier on Kelly thing.
Its over with but that doesn't change the fact that Emery is a cheap shot artist. The guy is capable of handling himself yet he still takes vicious cheap shots. It was Skrlac who he had a problem with, finish it with Skrlac. Ahonen did nothing that hinted he wanted to fight Emery. If Skrlac suckered Spezza from behind and gave him a concussion I'm sure you wouldn't be saying "all is fair in brawls". You would want Skrlac suspended for a long time.

Old
02-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Its over with but that doesn't change the fact that Emery is a cheap shot artist. The guy is capable of handling himself yet he still takes vicious cheap shots. It was Skrlac who he had a problem with, finish it with Skrlac. Ahonen did nothing that hinted he wanted to fight Emery. If Skrlac suckered Spezza from behind and gave him a concussion I'm sure you wouldn't be saying "all is fair in brawls". You would want Skrlac suspended for a long time.
Did you miss the entire part about Clouthier punching Kelly from behind? That lead to Platil coming to protect him. That lead to Clouthier being against Kelly-Platil, Ahonen left his net. Emery (by that time Skrlac was gone to the box), see him skate by, what does he think? Probably "Ohhh, goodie a goalie fight" (because in 99.9% percent of cases a goalie skates down the ice only to fight the other) skates up to Ahonen who is on Kelly an pops him. Cheapshot #1 Clouthier. #2 Emery. You cant send a goon to cheapshot a teams captain and expect no retribution. Emery made a bad decision that for sure but dont even start with "cheapshot artist" etc... after Skrlac started a fight with a GOALIE and Clouthier punched Kelly from behind.

Here's a more realistic comparison: If Mcgrattan was 1 foot into Ahonen's crease and they started sticking each other, then McG drops the gloves and starts pummeling Ahonen, would you still be saying "It was Skrlac(McG) who he had a problem with, (let Ahonen) finish it with Skrlac(McG)"? I highly doubt it.

I'm not condoning his actions but he was clearly not the instigator. Nor was he to blame for going after the other goalie. He is to blame for cheapshotting him though.

Old
02-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Did you miss the entire part about Clouthier punching Kelly from behind? That lead to Platil coming to protect him. That lead to Clouthier being against Kelly-Platil, Ahonen left his net. Emery (by that time Skrlac was gone to the box), see him skate by, what does he think? Probably "Ohhh, goodie a goalie fight" (because in 99.9% percent of cases a goalie skates down the ice only to fight the other) skates up to Ahonen who is on Kelly an pops him. Cheapshot #1 Clouthier. #2 Emery. You cant send a goon to cheapshot a teams captain and expect no retribution. Emery made a bad decision that for sure but dont even start with "cheapshot artist" etc... after Skrlac started a fight with a GOALIE and Clouthier punched Kelly from behind.

Here's a more realistic comparison: If Mcgrattan was 1 foot into Ahonen's crease and they started sticking each other, then McG drops the gloves and starts pummeling Ahonen, would you still be saying "It was Skrlac(McG) who he had a problem with, (let Ahonen) finish it with Skrlac(McG)"? I highly doubt it.

I'm not condoning his actions but he was clearly not the instigator. Nor was he to blame for going after the other goalie. He is to blame for cheapshotting him though.
Emery gave Skrlac a shot to the nuts. If Ahonen did that I would hope the opposing player would beat him. You don't hit men in the nuts. It is close to a writen rule.

If Emery seen Ahonen skate by him and think.....A FIGHT....then the guy really has no brains. If Ahonen skated up to Emery he may have a case but that wasn't what happened.

Old
02-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Emery gave Skrlac a shot to the nuts. If Ahonen did that I would hope the opposing player would beat him. You don't hit men in the nuts. It is close to a writen rule.
I didnt see the incident. But I guess it may have happened.

Either way, its also an unwritten rule not to fight with a goalie and a written rule not to get in his crease.

Quote:
If Emery seen Ahonen skate by him and think.....A FIGHT....then the guy really has no brains. If Ahonen skated up to Emery he may have a case but that wasn't what happened.
Sure... If i'm a goalie in the middle of a line brawl and I see the other goalie go buy ready to fight (no equipment) the first thing that will come to mind must be that he lost a contact last time he was in that corner and happens to be retreiveing it. Come on..

Old
02-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
I didnt see the incident. But I guess it may have happened.

Either way, its also an unwritten rule not to fight with a goalie and a written rule not to get in his crease.

Sure... If i'm a goalie in the middle of a line brawl and I see the other goalie go buy ready to fight (no equipment) the first thing that will come to mind must be that he lost a contact last time he was in that corner and happens to be retreiveing it. Come on..
You missed the point. If Ahonen wanted to fight Emery he would have went to him. Ahonen didn't go to Emery, he skated right by him, so his first thought should have been "HE DOESN'T WANT TO FIGHT ME". Emery didn't have to sucker him either, he could just as easily pulled him away from the pile. What Emery did was gutless.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:22 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven
that sure looks like Ahonen wasn't looking for a fight at all...

seriously, let go of the sour grapes, all of you. at this point that's all this is. Emery's a fighter, deal with it. I don't see anybody going around calling Skrlac names and insulting his intelligence simply because he gets into fights, why is that? Lay off.
Has Skrlac been warned by his GM not to fight? No? How about Emery? Yes.

Skrlac's job is to fight, Emery's not.

If you can't see the difference well it's useless to continue this discussion.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Pepper

Ottawa fans need to understand 2 things:

1) If the opponent is already paired off with your teammate, you don't fight him until he's alone again. Ahonen already had a partner there.

2) You never ever jump your opponent from behind, if you want to fight him you challenge him, one of the most basic rules. Emery didn't challenged Ahonen, he totally jumped him.

So Emery's a cheapshot artist and a dumb one to boot, I'm sure Muckler appreciated what he saw.

Old
02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Clutch Mediocrity

Quote:

That's exactly what every goalie should be thinking in a bench clearing brawl. If a goalie leaves his net he should be going to fight the other goalie, not the skater two feet to his left. Period. If he was going to "keep peace" than yes, there's something to be said for going with the skater. But as an earlier picture clearly showsed, Ahoenen wanted to fight, not act as a ref.

I don't question what Emery was thinking of (although I don't condone the method he went about it, with the sucker punch and all) but I do seriously question what was going through Ahonen's mind, fighting a skater with Emery ready and willing.

Old
02-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.Utd
I do seriously question what was going through Ahonen's mind, fighting a skater with Emery ready and willing.
Because Ahonen was helping his teammate who was getting doubleteamed by Sens.

Old
02-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Bileur

Quote:
You missed the point. If Ahonen wanted to fight Emery he would have went to him. Ahonen didn't go to Emery, he skated right by him, so his first thought should have been "HE DOESN'T WANT TO FIGHT ME".

No you miss the point. ex: In a line brawl (NOT BENCH CLEARING) you've got say Parisť, Subogolov, and Skrlac as a forward line, the B sens have Spezza, Vermette and McGrattan. If McGrattan drops the gloves and goes for Parisť bc Parisť and Subogolov are double teaming Vermette bc V. punched Parisť from behind do you think Skrlac will just wait around to challenge someone else, or go after McG and stop him from joining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Because Ahonen was helping his teammate who was getting doubleteamed by Sens.
Its not like they jumped him. Clouthier PUNCHES KELLY FROM BEHIND then Platil comes in to protect him. Kelly gets back up and starts grappling. Thats not the same thing as a straight up double team. Stop trying to mess up the facts.

Closed Thread