HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

QMJHL suspends St. John's franchise

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2005, 05:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
QMJHL suspends St. John's franchise

"The expansion St. John's Fog Devils will have to wait at least until 2006 to begin play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, commissioner Gilles Courteau announced Friday."

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story.asp?id=114588

Old
02-11-2005, 06:04 PM
BuppY

sad news for St. John's... hopefully things work out for the best for Fog Devils fan.

Old
02-11-2005, 06:28 PM
mooseOAK*

Sad, sad news for frankie.

Old
02-11-2005, 06:44 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
So Dobbin has to negotiate a lease with the people he beat out for the expansion team.
Good luck pal.

Old
02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
leafaholix*

Stupid Dobbin.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Frankie

not stupid dobbin, stupid city council.

they are asking for 1.7 million, more then the 5 current atlantic division qmjhl teams pay for their rinks combined!!

i hear at the game tonight that this is not over yet. could be more meetings next week and st.john's could still be in for 2005-06.

Old
02-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Christ

Well maybe we should look at the good side of the delay. Now the St. Johns team has some time to come up with a better name than "Fog Devils".

Old
02-12-2005, 08:49 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
Well maybe we should look at the good side of the delay. Now the St. Johns team has some time to come up with a better name than "Fog Devils".
The Fog Devels :mad: . I really wish they would re consider the name. Why didn't they pick the name the Ocean Rangers. Anyways it's not over yet, don't be surprised if something is agreed upon and they end up playing here next year.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:07 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie

they are asking for 1.7 million, more then the 5 current atlantic division qmjhl teams pay for their rinks combined!!

i hear at the game tonight that this is not over yet. could be more meetings next week and st.john's could still be in for 2005-06.
Who owns the building?

If it is the owners money(building), whoever they are, they can decide what they want to do with it. Dobbin is just someone that wants something from the owner. Owners can decide whatever they want to do with the building. If Dobbin doesn't like it he can build his own arena.

Old
02-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

If anything it will make St. Johns fans appreciate what they had all the more, particularly if they have to go without any sort of hockey ..

Just like the CBA.. this the best deal Dobbin is going to get .. What makes him think things will get better financially next season .??.

Can Dobbin get an Impasse ruled in the courts and bring in replacement Arena's ??? :lol

Old
02-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Who owns the building?

If it is the owners money(building), whoever they are, they can decide what they want to do with it. Dobbin is just someone that wants something from the owner. Owners can decide whatever they want to do with the building. If Dobbin doesn't like it he can build his own arena.
taxpayers own it.

yeah, sjse can ask whatever they want. but they obviously aren't being reasonable when you compare it to other similar rinks and what the rent is for those buildings.

by being so unreasonable, the padlocks are going to be on our brand new building and its going to cost the employees at mile one, the taxpayers, and other businesses.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Just like the CBA.. this the best deal Dobbin is going to get .. What makes him think things will get better financially next season .??.
nothing makes him think things will be better financially. this is not about finances, its about bitter feelings by the losing bid for the team. there's an election in september and dobbin is hoping that there will be some new reasonable people to deal with.

but its not over yet. more meetings to come this week.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:31 AM
nrf83

what is a Fog Devil? What kind of name is that?

Old
02-12-2005, 11:40 AM
richardn

Fog is apropriate for the area but whoever come up with the combination of combining fog with a devil to get Fog Devil's is out to lunch. I could of thought of 1000 names better then that. Here is a few off the top of my head that I thought of for the team name. The Vikings, The Ocean Rangers, The Humpbacks and for a gimmicky name I came up with the Screechin Puffins. I really wish they could change the name of the team before we start playing hockey I don't want the team name to be the laughing stock of the league.

Old
02-12-2005, 11:57 AM
nrf83

I am really looking forward to seeing their logo on jerseys. Will there be a fog bank with a devil coming out of it?

Old
02-12-2005, 12:21 PM
BringGilmourBack

I wonder what is going on with the Saint John based team than. Does anybody know what they will be called?

Old
02-12-2005, 01:46 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
nothing makes him think things will be better financially. this is not about finances, its about bitter feelings by the losing bid for the team. there's an election in september and dobbin is hoping that there will be some new reasonable people to deal with.

but its not over yet. more meetings to come this week.
It is about business, and the bottom line. The city has every right and try to make as much profit as they can for the city. They are protecting the tax payers investment. The cost of running the arena is going up all the time.

Dobbin should just be thankful he's allowed to rent the ice, and acquiece to the owners of the building and pay whatever they ask. Maybe there should be revenue sharing.

Old
02-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
It is about business, and the bottom line. The city has every right and try to make as much profit as they can for the city. They are protecting the tax payers investment. The cost of running the arena is going up all the time.

Dobbin should just be thankful he's allowed to rent the ice, and acquiece to the owners of the building and pay whatever they ask. Maybe there should be revenue sharing.
its not about business at all. unless you know more about this whole story somehow? have you been in on the negotiations? the taxpayers are well protected under dobbin's proposal.

sjse is bitter about losing, and now they have decided to make it impossible for dobbin to rent the building.

dobbin has suggested revenue sharing.

that's very witty how you're trying to compare it to the nhl lockout. very witty indeed. i'm really not interested in the nhl lockout though.

Old
02-12-2005, 02:11 PM
leafaholix*

So, what is St. John's going to do without hockey?

Fish?

Old
02-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
I wonder what is going on with the Saint John based team than. Does anybody know what they will be called?
"Fog Devils" Not sure what they were smoking when they decided on this name, but it may expalain the "fog" part.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
So, what is St. John's going to do without hockey?

Fish?
could be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng winter next year.

means i'll have more time to spend here. :lol

Old
02-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
could be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng winter next year.

means i'll have more time to spend here. :lol
I am facinated to see if you position on the Baby Leafs in Toronto changes. When they are no longer your Home Town team will Wins and Loses mean less..

With out a local team, to attack your attention .. It will change the picture as we thought it would be originally ..

Old
02-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I am facinated to see if you position on the Baby Leafs in Toronto changes. When they are no longer your Home Town team will Wins and Loses mean less..
well i can answer that for you right now.

i won't care one little bit about the toronto marlies wins and losses. i won't follow them too much at all.

why would i care about the marlies in the standings?

Old
02-12-2005, 10:35 PM
bossy22

Is Memorial Stadium still standing? I had heard the site was going to be re developed into a shopping area. Is the arena still there? If so does SJSE own this building as well?

Old
02-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22
Is Memorial Stadium still standing? I had heard the site was going to be re developed into a shopping area. Is the arena still there? If so does SJSE own this building as well?
sjse/city council used to own it, but they sold it to loblaws.

they still haven't decided to let loblaws build a supermarket there!

Closed Thread