HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Network/router problems

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2005, 02:37 PM
MOGiLNY

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Network/router problems

Well I got my 2nd router, and now I'm trying to set them up to communicate.

If it matters, my "main" router is a linksys wireless G router, and the router that I'm trying to connect to it is Microsoft MN-700..

I've been trying out different settings and stuff in the MN-700's control panel, but with no luck..

Can anybody help me?

Old
02-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY
Well I got my 2nd router, and now I'm trying to set them up to communicate.

If it matters, my "main" router is a linksys wireless G router, and the router that I'm trying to connect to it is Microsoft MN-700..

I've been trying out different settings and stuff in the MN-700's control panel, but with no luck..

Can anybody help me?
As they all say, RTFM

Old
02-16-2005, 07:44 AM
MOGiLNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus
As they all say, RTFM
but I don't have the ****in manual

Old
02-16-2005, 04:11 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
but I don't have the ****in manual
Most companies put their manuals online , some don't even print manuals anymore, just a PDF on a CD.

Old
02-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Jacob

vCash: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus
As they all say, RTFM
Reset the ****in' modem?

Old
02-16-2005, 08:05 PM
john g

Are you trying to have one access point recieve a connection (like a wireless card) without it being hardwired to the network?

If so that wont work I am pretty certain.

Old
02-17-2005, 10:24 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Are you just trying to get more wired ports?
If so, it would've been a helluva lot easier for you to buy a hub and just hook it up to your Linksys router. As it stands, you need to disable DHCP on your Microsoft router if you want to make your Linksys router your "main" router. Then your Microsoft router just acts like a hub and your Linksys router hands out the IPs.

Old
03-02-2005, 08:48 PM
MOGiLNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Are you just trying to get more wired ports?
If so, it would've been a helluva lot easier for you to buy a hub and just hook it up to your Linksys router. As it stands, you need to disable DHCP on your Microsoft router if you want to make your Linksys router your "main" router. Then your Microsoft router just acts like a hub and your Linksys router hands out the IPs.
Yes, all I need is get more ports, but the problem is that the "main" linksys router is in the basement, while the other machine is on a different floor.

That's why I got that 2nd wireless router..

I've tried disabling DHCP, but I haven't been able to connect to anything with that.

Old
03-04-2005, 03:17 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Yes, all I need is get more ports, but the problem is that the "main" linksys router is in the basement, while the other machine is on a different floor.

I've tried disabling DHCP, but I haven't been able to connect to anything with that.
Oh so it's two wireless routers. Yeah, wireless routers don't like talking to each other wirelessly. You'll need a wireless bridge to do that and not all wireless routers support that feature (you may need to find some third party firmware, which may void your warranty).

Your best bet (if you don't want to run a long crossover cable to connect the two routers) is to have a computer with a wireless NIC and a wired NIC. This computer can share its wireless internet connection and pass on IPs through the 2nd wireless router (connected via standard cat5 cable), which is now acting as a switch. The problem with this is that any computers connected to the second wireless router are now effectively behind two routers, which could cause some programs to stop working. Plus there would be a noticeable lag for internet access.

To have the least problems, it'd be best for you to run a long crossover cable to connect the two routers together.

Old
03-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:

Im not clear on what you want to do.....tell me if I get it....

linksys wireless router in basement. I assume this is the gateway to the internet

you need more ports....do you mean physical cat5 ports? If so dont use a router, just uplink a small switch into your existing linksys. Like someone said, you need to run a cable from one to the other. If you have uplink ports on the switch/router you can use a straight-through...otherwise you'll need a x-over.

It sounds like what you want to do is have the wireless access points talk to each other and form a wireless cloud. I am not too familiar with consumer products but the Cisco 1100 series (and later) will do that...of course your spending a lot more $$ but if you want....you setup an Infrastructure SSID for your access points to use, and another on for your clients..

but again, not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish

Closed Thread