HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ukranian Composite Sticks: worse than Mexican?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Ukranian Composite Sticks: worse than Mexican?

I just bought a Canadian made Bauer Vapor XX stick, and I love it. I was tempted to buy one with a Hossa blade (which I prefer) but, I looked at the blade, and the material was inconsistent, with areas where it looked like a whole different mold was fused on to areas of the blade. There were fractures, dents, etc. all over the blade and the shaft. Why bother owning that? Then, I noticed that it was made in Ukraine.

Recently, I was tempted to buy a Revolution stick. Perfect weight, blade, whip, etc. I loved it. Then I looked at the blade closely, and saw that the thing looked like it was manufactured on Hangover Day by second grade monkeys during the Bronze Age. Again, the stick was made in the Ukraine.

So, what's up with Ukranian stick manufacturing, and do they make good sticks in Ukraine?

I'm a stick snob...if it's not made in Canada, Finland, or sometimes the US...I won't buy it UNLESS it looks like its grade A craftsmanship.

Old
02-12-2005, 04:21 PM
realhabsfan

If im not mistaken, i was under the impression that Vapor XX sticks were made in the US or Mexico out of the same plant that the Innovative sticks were being made. However ive found that the Innovative composite sticks are way more consistent in blade finishing and quality thatn the Vapor is......To answer your question are ukranian sticks better....i would venture to say no. If they moved manufacturing plant from mexico to the ukraine its obviously a cost issue for them and wouldnt be to make the quality any better.

Old
02-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I have a Vapor I and it was made in China and the blade slipt in half after 2 slap shots.

Old
02-12-2005, 08:00 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
I just bought a Canadian made Bauer Vapor XX stick, and I love it. I was tempted to buy one with a Hossa blade (which I prefer) but, I looked at the blade, and the material was inconsistent, with areas where it looked like a whole different mold was fused on to areas of the blade. There were fractures, dents, etc. all over the blade and the shaft. Why bother owning that? Then, I noticed that it was made in Ukraine.

Recently, I was tempted to buy a Revolution stick. Perfect weight, blade, whip, etc. I loved it. Then I looked at the blade closely, and saw that the thing looked like it was manufactured on Hangover Day by second grade monkeys during the Bronze Age. Again, the stick was made in the Ukraine.

So, what's up with Ukranian stick manufacturing, and do they make good sticks in Ukraine?

I'm a stick snob...if it's not made in Canada, Finland, or sometimes the US...I won't buy it UNLESS it looks like its grade A craftsmanship.
looks like you'll be enjoying wood.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Magnus Fulgur

As long as I can get quality composite, I'll be happy. I never take slapshots. I'm a former goalie, and I just don't get them. Unless your slapshot is awesome, it just doesn't work. From the point, a wrist shot will get through a screen better than a slapper.

Now, after years of loving the feel of wood, I'm going composite because it has doubled the speed of my wrist shot. Is that cheating? Well, as a former goalie, it isn't because when I was a goalie - (before 1990) my pads were so much smaller than today. So darn it all, if a goalie is going to face me wearing a Michelin Man costume, I'm going to go at him with a howitzer, not a slingshot.

If the goalie has the gentlemanly decency to wear old school pads I'll break out my back up wood stick

Closed Thread