HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL All-Star Skills Competition

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2005, 10:51 PM
salty justice

vCash: 500
Undrafted Rene Bourque surprises me more and more every day. How did his goal against Lehtonen look?

Old
02-13-2005, 10:53 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton97
Did you watch the same backhand shot I did? It was certainly a nice goal . . . .

In any case, Cammaleri's goal on Miller was a show--glad he made it for us Manchester fans

Im not saying it was bad. But its was a breakaway with no rush. Nice goal but nothing im going to stay up at night and think about. But that Cammaleri goal was very nice....that really brought the fans out of there seats.

Both Wolfpack players didnt have a good competition.

Old
02-13-2005, 10:56 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast
Salmelainen was flying. Everyone was cheering while he was skating, it seemed as though he might beat Pleks. But yeah, he lost a bit on the last turn.

As for Wellwood, he looked like a slug. I was really expecting 15 something but 14.7 showed up.
In terms of the way Wellwood moves, he looks sluggish, but his speed is much better than given credit for.

As was the case tonight.

Old
02-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Thats where everyone goes wrong when they say Wellwood has no speed. I have seen him play quite a bit live and lots on tv. When you watch him live you can see that his speed is very deceptive. He is one of those guys that don't look like they are going super fast because of his style in his skating stride. But the clock does not lie, Wellwood is faster then most whether any one wants to admit it or not.
Well I do agree in that the time indicates he is faster than it looks like he was going. He looked darn slow. To be fair he was still 5th slowest out of 6 guys where it looked like Kronwall was giving it about 50% effort. Wellwood even gave a little celebration after he was done, to me indicating he was glad he got in the 14's.

Old
02-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Thats where everyone goes wrong when they say Wellwood has no speed. I have seen him play quite a bit live and lots on tv. When you watch him live you can see that his speed is very deceptive. He is one of those guys that don't look like they are going super fast because of his style in his skating stride. But the clock does not lie, Wellwood is faster then most whether any one wants to admit it or not.
Don't count on it.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Juicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
Excuses.
Yes, I consider a near fall an excuse, even though it is irrelevant since he still beat Wellwood.

Quote:
Looksy here at last years NHL superskills numbers...

Alex Tanguay (winner of the West): 14.773
Pavel Datsyuk: 14.842

And Peter Bondra won the 1999 Superskills NHL competition with a 14.460 lap, so clearly Kyle Wellwood's not as slow as some of you say he is.
Well, there are a lot of factors in these times. The most important is the ice condition. Some ice surfaces are faster than others, so comparing times of the players at each years event is a much more accurate read than from one year to another and his 5th of 6th is not all to impressive. However, he is an AHL all-star and his skills do look impressive at that level, so I would not be suprised to see him exceed at this level. He reminds me of another AHL great Gilbert Dionne.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:01 PM
leafaholix*

Wow, some people don't want to face the fact that it's possible they were wrong about Wellwood.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Riggins

I'm loving how it is a big celebration that he timed 5th out of 6 skaters.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Yes, I consider a near fall an excuse, even though it is irrelevant since he still beat Wellwood.

Well, there are a lot of factors in these times. The most important is the ice condition. Some ice surfaces are faster than others, so comparing times of the players at each years event is a much more accurate read than from one year to another and his 5th of 6th is not all to impressive. However, he is an AHL all-star and his skills do look impressive at that level, so I would not be suprised to see him exceed at this level. He reminds me of another AHL great Gilbert Dionne.
Minnesota is one of the coldest states there are and this year is warmer than last. Ice conditions were fine last year.

Honestly, some people.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:05 PM
zenator

Maybe Wellwood was lazy and out of shape in junior. Possibly he dedicated himself to improving, worked on skating technique & power skating in the off seasons and improved his speed.

This is very likely, for such a player to show an improvement. Spezza also looks much faster than he did in Jr., due to working on a perceived weakness.

The paranoia of some fans that comes out of any Wellwood discussions is amusing.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:07 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast
I'm loving how it is a big celebration that he timed 5th out of 6 skaters.
He could've timed 19th out of 20 skaters as long as his speed is good. And 14.776 is nothing to be ashamed of for a player that has been touted as a mediocre skater.

Alex Tanguay has tremendous speed, yet managed a 14.773 last year... that number ended up being the best among Western Conference participants.

So, yes... it's kind of a semi-big deal that Wellwood's # shows off a lot of fools.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
5th of 6th is not all to impressive.
Did you really expect him to finish first? If he had, half the people on this site would be choking on their shoes right now.

The facts are Salmelainen and Bouwmeester are considered great skaters and Wellwood skated almost as fast as they did. Speed is supposed to be one of Kronwall's strengths and Wellwood beat him.

Not bad for a guy who's supposedly a terrible skater.

But these are great;

- Clock malfunctioned
- Salemelainen slipped
- Kronwall wasn't trying
- Ice conditions

Keep 'em coming.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:10 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I just got back from the skills and I'll say a few things...

-I was VERY disappointed with Bouwmeester. His lap time was very slow. His hardest shot I believe was 92. He didnt score in any of the relays either.

-Ehrhoff and Eminger had AWESOME goals in the breakaway event.Not bad for defensemen.

-Cammy's goal was allshow.Miller bit that cheap skate deke soooo poorly.

-Garon, Lehtonen and Miller(he always owns the all-star weekend) were equally awesome.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Juicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Minnesota is one of the coldest states there are and this year is warmer than last.
Was the race outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Ice conditions were fine last year.

Honestly, some people.
Ice conditions may have been fine, but just not as fast. Are you are trying to tell me Wellwood is faster than Pavel Datsyuk?

Old
02-13-2005, 11:16 PM
saillias

Kobasew didn't do too great overall but I was very surprised at a 14.5 time. I never knew how fast he was.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:16 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Ice conditions may have been fine, but just not as fast. Are you are trying to tell me Wellwood is faster than Pavel Datsyuk?
The numbers say he just may be as fast as Pavel.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Juicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO
-Garon, Lehtonen and Miller(he always owns the all-star weekend) were equally awesome.
I was disappointed in Lehtonen.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias
Kobasew didn't do too great overall but I was very surprised at a 14.5 time. I never knew how fast he was.
Didn't you hear? The clock malfunctioned.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:19 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO
Did Lehtonen really look awesome or did he just make a few awesome saves? I ask this because his numbers were the worst in the competition by a fair margin.

Old
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Was the race outside?

He may or may not be, as there are possible variables that could influence it however to say he's significantly slower is fooling yourself at this point as far as I'm concerned.

Old
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
I was disappointed in Lehtonen.
Ehhhh I may be a bit bias tonight. I was sitting next to the Wolves booster club who'd scream every time Kari even came into view. Plus they had a guy wearing an indian headdress doing the YMCA, Lehtonen gets points for having this guy backing him.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Did Lehtonen really look awesome or did he just make a few awesome saves. I ask this because his numbers were the worst in the competition by a fair margin.
The only real competition I felt he didnt do well was the breakaway. The rapid fire, he had absolutely no chance on, on some of the shots. They were inches from the top corner.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Did Lehtonen really look awesome or did he just make a few awesome saves? I ask this because his numbers were the worst in the competition by a fair margin.
Some awesome saves but he completely flopped in the breakaway relay.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Juicer

Quote:
The numbers say he just may be as fast as Pavel.
Wow, I guess Datsyuk would have finished 5th tonight also. I thought he was faster than anyone else out there, but I guess not. I guess Kobasew is also faster than Pavel also?

Old
02-13-2005, 11:24 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I'm really happy Koivu made the show. His shooting is underrated as is his goalscoring.

Closed Thread