HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL All-Star Skills Competition

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Juicer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
His mobility is great... the guy's often all over the ice with the puck. Sliding the puck between the opponents skates, messing up defensemen and scoring hilight reel goals.
That is a better indication of quick hands and being able to control the pace of the game. You can go through a defender at a top speed like Bure did, or slow it a bit down like Jagr did.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Wasn't his average like 94?

I'd say it's pretty good whether he comes in 1st of 6 or 6th, it's an individual event when you're analysing a players ability. Wellwood's 14.776 doesn't look any better or worse if he comes in 1st of the 6 or 6th. His number is compared to other players in previous years, and the fact that the coach thought so highly of him to enter his name into the competition is good enough for me.

He proved to be on par with some of these other good prospects in terms of speed, there's no reason now to say he's slow like molasis.
Just my opinion, but I really think some people here are reading way too much into ONE lap around the rink.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Juicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
No, he said he's not a speed burner. I said that he dominates in other areas of skating like agility, accelleration and balance. His skating stride looks awkward but he's not a bad skater by any stretch.
Actually, he said exactly what I said he did.

"Wellwood's not a smooth or pretty skater, but he's not slow"- Carl O'Steen

Old
02-13-2005, 11:04 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
That is a better indication of quick hands and being able to control the pace of the game. You can go through a defender at a top speed like Bure did, or slow it a bit down like Jagr did.
Alright, than mobility is not necessary because Kyle has a sick set of hands... even though Wellwood has good mobility and speed.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:06 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Actually, he said exactly what I said he did.

"Wellwood's not a smooth or pretty skater, but he's not slow"- Carl O'Steen
By "smooth" I meant his stride... it's far from smooth if you watched the skills tonight. Especially his upper body motion, but with the puck he's as smooth as there is with the stick and the feet.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:07 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Just my opinion, but I really think some people here are reading way too much into ONE lap around the rink.
Yet, there's no proof to say Wellwood's a poor skater... which is what naysayers have been saying for years.

Now there's proof that he's not as slow as some say he is.

He's no speed burner, but he's certainely not slow. Wellwood's a deceptive skater.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Juicer

Quote:
Alright, than mobility is not necessary because Kyle has a sick set of hands... even though Wellwood has good mobility and speed.
I agree with the sick set of hands part, but I don't think there is anything left to say about the skating aspect, so I will just agree agree to disagree with the leaf fans on this matter.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Yet, there's no proof to say Wellwood's a poor skater... which is what naysayers have been saying for years.

Now there's proof that he's not as slow as some say he is.

He's no speed burner, but he's certainely not slow. Wellwood's a deceptive skater.
See, I dont think one lap around the rink is proof of anything. I mean, Jon Sim had a 4 goal game against the Avs in the preseason a few years ago. Dont remember any Stars fans running around claiming that proved anything. All Im saying is that I think you are reading too much into it. Thats all.

Edit- I also like how you have managed to turn this into a Kyle Wellwood skating discussion instead of about the competition as a whole. Nice work

Old
02-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Chartrand

Goalie stats ( top to bottom ) for those who are wondering:

MILLER
19 shots/4 GA

NIITTYMAKI
19 shots/7 GA

GARON
19 shots/9 GA

MACDONALD
19 shots/9 GA

LABARBERA
19 shots/10 GA

LEHTONEN
19 shots/12 GA

Old
02-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Or not enough IMO ..

Old
02-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Or not enough IMO ..
Look, I dont want to get into a long, drawn out argument, but just think about it. It is ONE single, solitary lap around a rink.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:12 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
See, I dont think one lap around the rink is proof of anything. I mean, Jon Sim had a 4 goal game against the Avs in the preseason a few years ago. Dont remember any Stars fans running around claiming that proved anything. All Im saying is that I think you are reading too much into it. Thats all.
Skating a lap in 14.776 cannot be a fluke, where as a goal or two in a preseason game may have some luck to it with bounces and such.

14.776 isn't tremendous speed, but it's good enough to stop calling someone "slow"... or a "mediocre skater". He's proven to avid fans that he's not a poor skater, and now people that haven't seen him play all season should realize that he's not a bad skater. Not a great skater, but good enough for it to not be a factor in his NHL endeavours.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

[QUOTE=PDO]Poor leafers.

Saying Wellwood is as fast as Bure... that's gold :lol

QUOTE]

Uhh, he meant Datsyuk.

DRY IN THE EYE!!!

Old
02-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Skating a lap in 14.776 cannot be a fluke, where as a goal or two in a preseason game may have some luck to it with bounces and such.

14.776 isn't tremendous speed, but it's good enough to stop calling someone "slow"... or a "mediocre skater". He's proven to avid fans that he's not a poor skater, and now people that haven't seen him play all season should realize that he's not a bad skater. Not a great skater, but good enough for it to not be a factor in his NHL endeavours.
See, I think it could be a fluke(not saying it is, just saying it is a possibility). And outside of the fact that he's 5'10, almost 22, and scoring quite well in the AHL, I dont know that much about him. So I guess I'll have to take your word about his skating ability not being a factor now .

Old
02-13-2005, 11:16 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
I may be retarted yet i was just wondering why wasn't camms picked for anything?

Old
02-13-2005, 11:18 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
See, I think it could be a fluke(not saying it is, just saying it is a possibility). And outside of the fact that he's 5'10, almost 22, and scoring quite well in the AHL, I dont know that much about him. So I guess I'll have to take your word about his skating ability not being a factor now .
I think it's physically impossible for it to have been a fluke. A player can either get there in a certain amount of time, or he can't.

Of course that's excluding the possibility of a clock malfunction or a head start.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
I may be retarted yet i was just wondering why wasn't camms picked for anything?
He was in two events plus the breakaway which everyone was in. No one did more than that.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Chaos

Quote:
I think it's physically impossible for it to have been a fluke. A player can either get there in a certain amount of time, or he can't.
Obviously. However, it is possible for something like that to happen once and then never again. Not saying this is the case, but surely you can see it is at least a possibility. Otherwise I could go around saying Jon Sim's 4 goal games wasn't a fluke. A player can either score the goals or he can't(bad comparison, I know).

Old
02-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Edit- I also like how you have managed to turn this into a Kyle Wellwood skating discussion instead of about the competition as a whole. Nice work
I think people with the attitude that Kyle may have got a head start or that Kronwall wasn't trying have more to do with perpetuating this thread than O'Steen does.

If people just stopped trying to pretend that Wellwood is such a poor skater we'd be well past this by now.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I think people with the attitude that Kyle may have got a head start or that Kronwall wasn't trying have more to do with perpetuating this thread than O'Steen does.
You must admit that he start it though .

Old
02-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Look, I dont want to get into a long, drawn out argument, but just think about it. It is ONE single, solitary lap around a rink.
Good Idea ..

Lets just weigh your ONE single biased opinion verses ONE single, solitary lap .. and call it a wash then ..

I mean after all you have a point .. Welly was probably a little nervous with everyone watching so his nerves effected his time .. He's usually is a lot faster then that time.

Old
leafaholix*

Quote:
Obviously. However, it is possible for something like that to happen once and then never again. Not saying this is the case, but surely you can see it is at least a possibility. Otherwise I could go around saying Jon Sim's 4 goal games wasn't a fluke. A player can either score the goals or he can't(bad comparison, I know).
Few things...

1) Horrible comparison.
2) It is possible that this may be the fastest Wellwood has ever skated or will ever skate, but that's a stretch and very unlikely. But, I'm the kind of person that says anything is possible.
3) People who are on the other side of the fence as me, Leaf, and Mess would tend to use that argument (4 goals vs. lap time)... so, it's obvious what side you're on in this thread.

Old
Leaf Army

Quote:
Otherwise I could go around saying Jon Sim's 4 goal games wasn't a fluke.
Wow you have a real fascination with this game as you constantly bring it up. Were you there or something? Did Sim autograph each of the 4 pucks for you?

I love how this one game by Jon Sim completely renders any other accomplishment meaningless as you see fit.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Good Idea ..

Lets just weigh your ONE single biased opinion verses ONE single, solitary lap .. and call it a wash then ..
You know, I havent said anything negative about Wellwood in this thread. All I stated was a possibility, and that makes me biased? So I guess that makes you, a LEAF fan, the biggest homer in the world. Going by your logic of what biased is, it makes perfect sense.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Wow you have a real fascination with this game as you constantly bring it up. Were you there or something? Did Sim autograph each of the 4 pucks for you?

I love how this one game by Jon Sim completely renders any other accomplishment meaningless as you see fit.
Talk about jumping to conclusions. I bring up this game as evidence that even the worst players(Sim sucks some serious ass) can have a fluke performance, and as support for my mentioning that it was a possibility(not probability or certainty) that Wellwood's lap was a fluke. POSSIBILITY.

Closed Thread