HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL All-Star Skills Competition

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2005, 11:33 PM
MLH

vCash: 500
The Leafs homers are out in full force tonight.

I can't even believe you people are saying placement is irrelevant. Time is much less important than placement. Bobsledding tracks can be "fast" or "slow". Speed skating tracks can be "fast" or "slow". Skills competitions are no different.

You would have think that the Laugh fans would have picked up on this when they noted that a few years ago the winning speed from the NHL skills competition would have placed fifth tonight.

Wow, I can't believe that people don't realize that.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
1) Horrible comparison.
And I stated nearly as much.

Quote:
2) It is possible that this may be the fastest Wellwood has ever skated or will ever skate, but that's a stretch and very unlikely. But, I'm the kind of person that says anything is possible.
It may be a stretch, but at least you can admit its a possibility. I respect that.

Quote:
3) People who are on the other side of the fence as me, Leaf, and Mess would tend to use that argument (4 goals vs. lap time)... so, it's obvious what side you're on in this thread.
Im not on any side here. All I stated was a POSSIBILITY, which you yourself have acknowledged.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:35 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Talk about jumping to conclusions. I bring up this game as evidence that even the worst players(Sim sucks some serious ass) can have a fluke performance, and as support for my mentioning that it was a possibility(not probability or certainty) that Wellwood's lap was a fluke. POSSIBILITY.
Or maybe he's actually capable of hitting 14.7?

It's not like this is a tremendous #... his speed has been torn apart in scouting reports and fans that know nothing about him on message boards. He's not a bad skater, he's a good skater... not great, but certainely good.

That's the whole point we're trying to make, some people have a problem with calling a Leaf players ability at anything "good".

Old
02-13-2005, 11:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Okay here is my question:

What the hell is going on with Koivu? The kid isn't suppose to be a goalscorer. Reports coming from Finland basically said he freezes up when he takes a shot or he has hands of stones. And yet he has as many goals as assists, or close to it. What the hell?

Old
02-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Or maybe he's actually capable of hitting 14.7?

It's not like this is a tremendous #... his speed has been torn apart in scouting reports and fans that know nothing about him on message boards. He's not a bad skater, he's a good skater... not great, but certainely good.
And its entirely possible he's capable of consistently hitting 14.7. Fact is, he did it once, and once alone. Was it a fluke? Probably not, but no one really knows for sure.

Quote:
That's the whole point we're trying to make, some people have a problem with calling a Leaf players ability at anything "good".
Hope you arent grouping me in with those people.

Old
02-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
You know, I havent said anything negative about Wellwood in this thread. All I stated was a possibility, and that makes me biased? So I guess that makes you, a LEAF fan, the biggest homer in the world. Going by your logic of what biased is, it makes perfect sense.
Well I am not the one calling for a urine test, to see if Steroids are involved in the hardest shot competition now am I ???

After all it was just ONE shot..

I guess I am more accepting that the electronic equipment used in all the other events and times is just as reliable as the one used to time Wellwood .. but hey thats just me ...

With Wellwood's head start and the timing malfunction, and other players falling or tripping or not trying, combined with the only ONE lap theory thing of yours .. I guess I can see were you are coming from ..

Old
02-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Well I am not the one calling for a urine test, to see if Steroids are involved in the hardest shot competition now am I ???

After all it was just ONE shot..
Im not seeing the point of this in a discussion about Wellwood's skating ability .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
With Wellwood's head start and the timing malfunction, and other players falling or tripping or not trying, combined with the only ONE lap theory thing of yours .. I guess I can see were you are coming from ..
I really dont know what you are trying to accomplish here. I havent said anything about timing malfunctions or players not trying

Old
02-14-2005, 12:00 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

You're signature annoys the hell out of me Chaos...

Old
02-14-2005, 12:23 AM
DJ Spinoza

Anyone care to comment on how Oullet fared tonight?

Old
02-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
The Leafs homers are out in full force tonight.

I can't even believe you people are saying placement is irrelevant. Time is much less important than placement. Bobsledding tracks can be "fast" or "slow". Speed skating tracks can be "fast" or "slow". Skills competitions are no different.

You would have think that the Laugh fans would have picked up on this when they noted that a few years ago the winning speed from the NHL skills competition would have placed fifth tonight.

Wow, I can't believe that people don't realize that.
Its not the overall time he had, its the time he had relative to his competitors. He was 0.25 seconds away from second place which went to Jay Boumeester widely considered the best skating prospect to be drafted in this decade.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Anyone care to comment on how Oullet fared tonight?
Not too shabby. Had a wicked top shelf shot in the breakaway and did well in the 3 player break drill from what I recall.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Bileur

1. Tony did slip, he looked as if he would for sure beat Pleks before the last bit.

2. I was impressed with Wellwood's results, it could be a fluke but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt in this case.

3. I was dissapointed with Bouwmeester's performances in shot power and speed, same with Kronwall (no effort)

4. I agree with Carl O'steen about the Wellwood stride part. As soon as he started I was thinking wtf is wrong with his upper body? Stick in the air, little arm swings etc...

5. Did anybody ever even think of the possibility that Wellwood stuck miniature rockets in his skates, or maybe that he was somehow assisted by high powered magnets, or maybe even simpler conspiarcy theories like the timer was in slow-mo for him, or that everyone else skated a bit slower to make him look better? Who knows?

Old
02-14-2005, 12:41 AM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Not too shabby. Had a wicked top shelf shot in the breakaway and did well in the 3 player break drill from what I recall.
Thanks, I knew he scored but didn't get any other details.

The skills are on a delay for us here, but at least the All Star game is live for almost everyone tommorow.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:45 AM
MLH

Quote:
Its not the overall time he had, its the time he had relative to his competitors. He was 0.25 seconds away from second place which went to Jay Boumeester widely considered the best skating prospect to be drafted in this decade.
Sure, but alomst everyone else was either faster than Jaybo or closer than Wellwood to Jaybo. Which means that Boumeester's speed is overrated or that he had a bad outing. I'll take the latter.

It's just amusing that Leaf fans take a 2nd last place finish, including losing to a guy that slipped, as some kind of moral victory.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:57 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Can both sides please drop the Wellwood stuff? Both sides have made their points over and over again . It getting excedingly dull (actually it was excedingly dull 50 posts ago its catatonic now).

Old
02-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
I'd like to point out that being the best skater doesn't mean the fastest in doing a lap around the rink.

Old
02-14-2005, 02:03 AM
the_gman83

I only caught the fastest skater and rapid fire events, but did you see Ryan Kesler's shots during the rapid fire? I can't remember who the goalie was, but it didn't matter much. It looked like every shot he took went off the crossbar and into the net. I haven't seen many players pick the corners like that, especially not 4 times in a row.

Old
02-14-2005, 02:54 AM
bleedgreen

how did eric staal do?

Old
02-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
how did eric staal do?
2005 Results
http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/02/13/929874.html

2004 Results
http://www.theahl.com/AHL/04AllStar/...08/340744.html

2003 Results
http://www.theahl.com/AHLNews0302/02_skills.html

2002 Results
http://www.theahl.com/AHLNews0202/13_skills.html

Last edited by Mess: 02-14-2005 at 03:45 AM.
Old
02-14-2005, 03:15 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Can both sides please drop the Wellwood stuff? Both sides have made their points over and over again . It getting excedingly dull (actually it was excedingly dull 50 posts ago its catatonic now).
So what did you think of Wellwood in the Rapid Fire .. 3 for 5 in rapid fire and still winded not bad eh ??

Old
02-14-2005, 06:42 AM
canadahockeygirl*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Well I didn't see him slip, but I guess enough other people did.
I was there last night and can vouch for it. He was FLYING through most of it until that last turn. If you can get a hold of some video, watch him as he comes around the last corner. He was in tight for the first 3 turns, then went wide on the last. If there wasn't a slip between the 3rd cone and the finish line, I don't know what it was. He should have easily beaten the 14.1 time.

The ice at the Verizon is actually a nice, hard surface. I've skated there a few times and it's pretty fast. I wouldn't say that ice condition is why your favorite player skated as horrible as he did. He just sucked that night or didn't care enough about winning a skills event. Who cares? It's not an actual measure of how good the player is.

Old
02-14-2005, 07:16 AM
cj

Ryan Kesler wasn't in the fastest skater competion, so the whole thing's a joke.

Really though, I don't know why people are so intent on putting down Wellwood's good time. It is possible for players to improve you know. I'm sure Wellwood's been working a lot on his skating. Last I checked, players don't have to sign a contract at the draft promising to stick by their scouting reports.

Anyways...

how about Andy Hilbert eh? 4 for 4. Surprised there hasn't been more talk about that. I also like how Jason King missed the first 3, but then ripped the final four, not just hitting the targets, but smashing them. Nice shot.

Old
02-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I realy liked the move that Cammaleri made on his breakaway. I did not think that Plekanec skated that fast.

Old
02-14-2005, 07:33 AM
SENSible1*

Welllwood has been very impressive so far this year and is looking more and more like a legitimate NHL prospect.

His hands are unquestionable and his speed is underrated.

He is a little small and soft to be a top #1 C, but he does look to be ideally suited for the #2 C role.

I won't let my hatred for the Leafs blind me to the facts.

Old
02-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
You're signature annoys the hell out of me Chaos...
Just voicing my opinion. Look at it this way; Its more of a praise of Jokinen than it is a knock on Koivu.

Last edited by Chaos: 02-14-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Closed Thread