HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CBA Negotiations III: Why Can't We All Just...Get Along?

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
RussianRocket10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
So, after this season Leighton will ask for 6.1m over 6 years?
Maybe not quite realistic then. That's brutal.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianrocket10 View Post
maybe not quite realistic then. That's brutal.
worth every penny

Old
12-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Maybe not quite realistic then. That's brutal.
That was what he asked for after playing in 20 games with a 12-4-3 record and a 2.91 GAA

Get out of here

Old
12-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Regardless....when this strike ends teams like the Flyers are going to have issues going forward..Meltzer had a blog post about it weeks ago and Larry Brook's summary below adds to the pain if no amnesty buyout is included

Like somebody joked ...Ed Snider better enjoy his new trophy wife b/c he won't be seeing the Stanley Cup trophy anytime soon...
Not really concerned for Philly. When you look at who they'd have to sign to fill those spots it's all 3rd and 4th line players and bottom pairing D types. They won't be able to add that #1 defenseman though.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:31 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Not really concerned for Philly. When you look at who they'd have to sign to fill those spots it's all 3rd and 4th line players and bottom pairing D types. They won't be able to add that #1 defenseman though.
Eve if they had the space, there likely will rarely be a #1 available in UFA again. It's going to be financially better to resign with your existing club. Top guys in their prime will be pretty frozen unless they patrick Roy it.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Are you suggesting that Claude Giroux will be signed to a 12M dollar cap hit when he becomes an RFA in 2 years?
Why wouldn't he? He is a superstar in this league, and will want to be paid like one. He won't have the flexibility to sign 12-year deals like those before him. So, he'll just take it all in 7 years instead. UFA years cost money.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Eve if they had the space, there likely will rarely be a #1 available in UFA again.
Which would be pretty cool, if you ask me.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Why wouldn't he? He is a superstar in this league, and will want to be paid like one. He won't have the flexibility to sign 12-year deals like those before him. So, he'll just take it all in 7 years instead. UFA years cost money.
So, in your opinion max contracts will (suddenly) become the new norm in the NHL?

Old
12-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
IF every star was looking for max contracts there really wouldn't even be enough room for them all considering the cap. Either that or it would require teams to have no depth if they wanted to have a couple stars on the team. I think we'll see a slight increase in some salaries but nothing drastic. The players should understand what a team needs to stay competitive.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:42 PM
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ

Lol; this is all so lame.

I've been planning on adopting a cat. Right? Hopefully, a bit orange. And name it 'Roux in honor of the world's best hockey player, giROUX.

Now? F! That cat. Lol. I'm so bitter.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:52 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This lockout is affecting my ability to obtain a Giroux autographed jersey. I won it last year in CSN's March Madness challenge. First it was the playoffs so they didn't want to bother him to sign it. Then it was his injuries after the playoffs so he couldn't sign it. Then it was I'll get it in October when the season starts (lol). Now they are not responding to my emails.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:37 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This lockout is affecting my ability to obtain a Giroux autographed jersey. I won it last year in CSN's March Madness challenge. First it was the playoffs so they didn't want to bother him to sign it. Then it was his injuries after the playoffs so he couldn't sign it. Then it was I'll get it in October when the season starts (lol). Now they are not responding to my emails.
Wow, that's pretty douchey of them.

You figured if they were giving away a prize like that in a contest, that they'd already have obtained the prize they were giving to the winner.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:17 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
You have my sympathy. lol. Wow. I seriously hope you get it after all that time. Must be maddening.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:58 AM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
That stinks, hopefully you get that autographed jersey soon.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
We're definitely going to see a big spike in contracts and cap hits. These guys have one chance to earn huge money for a short period of time. I imagine they'd rather have cash and hope their own abilities are good enough, than have a better 3rd line.

12-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
We're definitely going to see a big spike in contracts and cap hits. These guys have one chance to earn huge money for a short period of time. I imagine they'd rather have cash and hope their own abilities are good enough, than have a better 3rd line.
Well, everything is speculation because no one knows where revenues will go. If revenues increase slightly over the CBA teams will feel the squeeze. If revenue continue to soar, it won't matter too much.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Go For It

I've been out of the loop the past couple of days. We any closer to a deal than we were around Monday?

Old
12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Well, everything is speculation because no one knows where revenues will go. If revenues increase slightly over the CBA teams will feel the squeeze. If revenue continue to soar, it won't matter too much.
Yeah. Even one 5 million dollar bump in a year would be huge relief.

If the cap continues to grow like it did though, we're going to just end up where we are now; in a situation where teams without money can't afford to keep up. If the owners aren't fixing their revenue sharing system we're at risk for another lockout when this CBA ends.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Flyerfan808

I disagree I think reducing the salary cap will lower the amount of money teams have to spend and EVERYONE will take a paycut, not just the little guys. Contracts will acutally go down in year 1, stagnate in year 2, rebound by year 3 and continue to scale appropriately to the 50/50 split moving forward.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Prongo
Beer

And the NHLPA is moving closer to filing a "disclaimer of interest". It will dissolve the NHLPA.

They say it is always darkest before the dawn. I have to think this is the darkest it has been so far if they go through with this.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
And the NHLPA is moving closer to filing a "disclaimer of interest". It will dissolve the NHLPA.

They say it is always darkest before the dawn. I have to think this is the darkest it has been so far if they go through with this.
what does that mean thou ??

will each player be free n clear to green light to accept an offer on their own and go play ?

Old
12-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
what does that mean thou ??

will each player be free n clear to green light to accept an offer on their own and go play ?
Pretty sure it gives the players the right to individually sue the NHL owners. I am reading up on it right now actually. Trying to sort it all out Just know if they do go through with this, it dissolves the union.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:41 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Pretty sure it gives the players the right to individually sue the NHL owners. I am reading up on it right now actually. Trying to sort it all out Just know if they do go through with this, it dissolves the union.
I would imagine they would file a group lawsuit and sue the owners for lost wages due to being denied work / antitrust laws, which can be ~~ 3x the real money lost.

Lawsuits come with inherent risks though. If they lose-- the players are short on real options. Legal systems are ideally always last resorts.

This season would be wiped out

Old
12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
McNasty

A lawsuit has such little chance of working. It was one thing in the NFL or NBA where you can argue those leagues essentially have a monopoly on the sport. Take one quick look at the roster of NHL players who have been paid by some other league and it's a sham of a law suit.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I would imagine they would file a group lawsuit and sue the owners for lost wages due to being denied work / antitrust laws, which can be ~~ 3x the real money lost.

Lawsuits come with inherent risks though. If they lose-- the players are short on real options. Legal systems are ideally always last resorts.

This season would be wiped out
One problem is that the lawsuit would probably take a year (maybe more) just to go to trial and then with appeals it would take multiple years to resolve. If the players go the legal route this is more than just a lost year without a settlement. I do a ton of discovery work and I can tell you that discovery could take a year depending on how far back it goes. If I were a player, I would take the NHL's last offer before I went the lawsuit route.

Closed Thread