HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

montreal / dallas proposal

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 11:51 AM
keemo905

vCash: 500
montreal / dallas proposal

What about a Brisebois for Turgeon trade?

Both overpaid, both unwanted in their teams... Could work.

Old
09-19-2003, 11:52 AM
prabak11

Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
here we go again! :p

Old
09-19-2003, 11:57 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
As the truck that is the Canadien's season begins to move, the trade proposal trailer follows behind it!

Old
09-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Guriken

Brisebois worth more than Turgeon, you know, Turgeon is old and it would be like another juneau in the team...

Old
09-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keemo905
What about a Brisebois for Turgeon trade?

Both overpaid, both unwanted in their teams... Could work.

For Trade Rummors and Trade proposal go to this board

http://www.hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3

Old
09-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65
For Trade Rummors and Trade proposal go to this board

http://www.hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3
I almost prefer seeing all the trade proposals posted here first, so as to avoid all the idiotic Hab bashing that goes on in the Trade board.

As for the trade, doesn't work. Turgeon is still an offensive force and has some chemistry with several Dallas players. He's still capable of putting up 60-70 pts, and is good in the faceoff circle.

Brisebois doesn't fit into Dallas' system at all. I think the Stars would prefer Turgeon by a wide margin.

Old
09-19-2003, 01:16 PM
Marksman

I'd prefer overpaid Brisebois to overpaid Turgeon who makes almost twice as much. Hes way out of Mtl salary structure. Turgeon left the city with sour note... I really dont think he would enjoy being back fans and media biting at first opportunity. Finally Habs need physical players capable scoring goals (like Zednik) - Pierre is more of a playmaker.

Old
09-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Howie Morenz

I don't want Turgeon back in Montreal.......even for free.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Morenz
I don't want Turgeon back in Montreal.......even for free.
This would be better than free... this would be a miracle!

Old
09-19-2003, 07:39 PM
oli500

People dont forget that Dallas said they would pay half of turgeons salary if they find a buyer for him.(saw it on sportsnet) So he wouldent come as much as his salary shows. I stil would not take him because of the fact that no one wants him. Dallas has offered his services to every team and still no takers. Between you and me we now what that means. Besides we have some one by the name of perrault. Him and turgeon are very similar players but perraults has more of a scoring toch. And dont forget both of those players dont like physical play so my answer is No!

Old
09-19-2003, 11:09 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
I always thought Turgeon was Koivu"s equal when he was with Montreal.
sure, because koivu was playing on one leg...

Old
09-20-2003, 12:04 AM
tritone

I doubt it in this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
People dont forget that Dallas said they would pay half of turgeons salary if they find a buyer for him.(saw it on sportsnet) So he wouldent come as much as his salary shows. I stil would not take him because of the fact that no one wants him. Dallas has offered his services to every team and still no takers. Between you and me we now what that means. Besides we have some one by the name of perrault. Him and turgeon are very similar players but perraults has more of a scoring toch. And dont forget both of those players dont like physical play so my answer is No!
Dallas would pay half his salary and pay all of Brisebois's salary? I don't think so dude, do the math . 4million Brisebois + Half of Turgeon's salary for a trade that doesn't really help Dallas at all anyway?
When is everyone going to get it into their heads that we can NOT trade Brisebois right now, He is not worth anything to the HABS because of the situation in Montreal and EVERY other team in the NHL knows this . So . Why would anyone fork out more than a dozen hockey sticks for the guy ?

He will either be traded for next to nothing and we'll pick up some of the salary or he will rot in Montreal until he decides to play in another league in Europe somewhere.
NO TEAM IS GOING TO GIVE US ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT HE IS ACTUALLY WORTH.
I hate to say it because I'm not very fond of brisebois to begin with BUT I'd much rather have him on the team as a 4th or 5th D-man than to trade him for another dead-wood like Mckay.....because we're going to have to cover his 4 million bucks anyway, might as well see him put up 40-50 points this year for us rather than trade him for some lame ass hockey player who will end up sitting out to make room for younger players. We're stuck with the 4million dollar contract , might as well make the best of it.

Old
09-20-2003, 09:24 AM
TazzMetal

Quote:
Well when Koivu gets 38 goals and 96 points in a season give me a call. That is what Turgeon did with Montreal and we wont even mention the 58 goals and 132 points with the Islanders one year. On second thought I dont think Koivu's 71 points equals that being a math whiz
Turgeon did get 96 points with the Habs but that was in the 1995-96 season. You simply cannot compare 1995-96 stats to any of 2000 + season right now. It was another era of hockey while the current era is a more defensive oriented type of play. Heck, in 1995-96 Lemieux led the league with161 points and over 10+ players had 100 + points season. Today, you'd be even lucky to see 4-5 players break the 100 pts mark.

And yes, we know that Turgeon had a 58 goals season... 11 years ago. Do I need to remind that Juneau had 102 in his rookie season ? Numbers were all inflated like this back then.

Koivu's 71 points this season is actually pretty good, considering the current defensive hockey era we are in and that he had no real go to winger last season, except when Zednik was on the first line before being moved to the 2nd.

Turgeon was great, i'll give you that. But just because he was, does not mean he still is and that he could bench his own marks.

Nobody wants to touch Turgeon's contract with the CBA looming and I can almost assure that the Stars will not even protect him. Same can be said with Brisebois but I doubt that Stars would really need a defenseman like Brisebois, they already have two great Powerplay Quarterbacks in Zubov and Numminen and his offense is the only good thing Brisebois has going for him.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:22 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMetal
Turgeon did get 96 points with the Habs but that was in the 1995-96 season. You simply cannot compare 1995-96 stats to any of 2000 + season right now. It was another era of hockey while the current era is a more defensive oriented type of play. Heck, in 1995-96 Lemieux led the league with161 points and over 10+ players had 100 + points season. Today, you'd be even lucky to see 4-5 players break the 100 pts mark.

And yes, we know that Turgeon had a 58 goals season... 11 years ago. Do I need to remind that Juneau had 102 in his rookie season ? Numbers were all inflated like this back then.

Koivu's 71 points this season is actually pretty good, considering the current defensive hockey era we are in and that he had no real go to winger last season, except when Zednik was on the first line before being moved to the 2nd.

Turgeon was great, i'll give you that. But just because he was, does not mean he still is and that he could bench his own marks.

Nobody wants to touch Turgeon's contract with the CBA looming and I can almost assure that the Stars will not even protect him. Same can be said with Brisebois but I doubt that Stars would really need a defenseman like Brisebois, they already have two great Powerplay Quarterbacks in Zubov and Numminen and his offense is the only good thing Brisebois has going for him.
When was Turgeon great? Every team he's ever been on has eventually had to try and unload him and were glad to be done with him. What yo usaid about stats, you can't compare. He's a gutless wonder, just like our pal Breezy.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:53 AM
TazzMetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
When was Turgeon great? Every team he's ever been on has eventually had to try and unload him and were glad to be done with him. What yo usaid about stats, you can't compare. He's a gutless wonder, just like our pal Breezy.
Oh common, to mention that Turgeon was never great is a gross understatement. Turgeon had a good/great career. The guy is closing in on 500 Goals and 1300 points which is pretty damn good, even if he played in the early 90's "offensive" era of the game. He might have been soft all of his career, which frankly has hurt his reputation but he still had a damn good career.

All I was pointing out with stats to Strummerman is that he should not be taking stats of the past to evaluate a player's future like he has done with Turgeon or to compare them out of context and compare them to current stats.

He's still got some mileage in the tank, but as I mentionned, at this state of his career he would not be a good addition to the Habs' line-up.

Old
09-21-2003, 07:16 AM
TazzMetal

Quote:
Well I think you are assuming that players today are just as good as Lemieux and Gretzky were in their primes. The simple fact mario Lemieux led the scoring race for 3/4 of the season and would have probably won the scoring race if Kovavlev hadnt been traded shows how much better these players were. Lemieux is not in his prime now. Turgeon is not in his prime now. However only 2 years ago Turgeon had a great year and the Blues finished first overall in the league. It shows good players can still stand ouut.
Not at all. I never assumed any of this and this is getting into a game who's assuming what the other assumed. Turgeon had good years playing with the Blues, but he was playing with a great team and had great linemates but I still give him all the credit in the world.

Anyways, this is going away from the fact that Turgeon would be a terrible addition to our line-up which cannot handle another aging veteran, a nightmare for our payroll, a new target for the Brisbois haters and would take another spot away from our youngsters. It's time to get young, not old.

Quote:
The offensive era wa sthe 80's with Grets, Mario was alone in the 90's.
The early 1990's was all offense as well. Otherwise, you would not have seen 76 Goals by Selanne & Mogilny or 10+ players reaching 100 pts a year.

Old
09-21-2003, 02:33 PM
SuperUnknown

Turgeon is a more skilled version of Perreault.

No thanks... Grossly overpaid at $7M.

Old
09-21-2003, 03:03 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I wasnt discussing contract. Obviously we wont pay 7 million if that is what he is earning. Dallas will have to pay a good portion of it. Yes a more skilled version of a 25 goal scorer is a 35 goals scorer- Id take him in a flash
He's a bad influence. Slacker. I hated him when he was here and I hated him when he was in Buffalo. Can't stand him. I don't like him. He makes me sick. He was an embarrassment to the jersey. I can go on...

Closed Thread