HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

montreal / dallas proposal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2003, 11:51 AM
  #1
keemo905
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
montreal / dallas proposal

What about a Brisebois for Turgeon trade?

Both overpaid, both unwanted in their teams... Could work.

keemo905 is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 11:52 AM
  #2
prabak11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: montreal
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
here we go again! :p

prabak11 is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 11:57 AM
  #3
danboulie
Registered User
 
danboulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
As the truck that is the Canadien's season begins to move, the trade proposal trailer follows behind it!

danboulie is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 11:58 AM
  #4
Guriken
Registered User
 
Guriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Brisebois worth more than Turgeon, you know, Turgeon is old and it would be like another juneau in the team...

Guriken is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 12:04 PM
  #5
Maithz
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keemo905
What about a Brisebois for Turgeon trade?

Both overpaid, both unwanted in their teams... Could work.

For Trade Rummors and Trade proposal go to this board

http://www.hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3

 
Old
09-19-2003, 12:18 PM
  #6
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65
For Trade Rummors and Trade proposal go to this board

http://www.hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3
I almost prefer seeing all the trade proposals posted here first, so as to avoid all the idiotic Hab bashing that goes on in the Trade board.

As for the trade, doesn't work. Turgeon is still an offensive force and has some chemistry with several Dallas players. He's still capable of putting up 60-70 pts, and is good in the faceoff circle.

Brisebois doesn't fit into Dallas' system at all. I think the Stars would prefer Turgeon by a wide margin.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 01:16 PM
  #7
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
I'd prefer overpaid Brisebois to overpaid Turgeon who makes almost twice as much. Hes way out of Mtl salary structure. Turgeon left the city with sour note... I really dont think he would enjoy being back fans and media biting at first opportunity. Finally Habs need physical players capable scoring goals (like Zednik) - Pierre is more of a playmaker.

Marksman is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 05:53 PM
  #8
Howie Morenz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sudbury,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
I don't want Turgeon back in Montreal.......even for free.

Howie Morenz is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 06:00 PM
  #9
Quagmier
Registered User
 
Quagmier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Morenz
I don't want Turgeon back in Montreal.......even for free.
This would be better than free... this would be a miracle!

Quagmier is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 07:39 PM
  #10
oli500
Registered User
 
oli500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
People dont forget that Dallas said they would pay half of turgeons salary if they find a buyer for him.(saw it on sportsnet) So he wouldent come as much as his salary shows. I stil would not take him because of the fact that no one wants him. Dallas has offered his services to every team and still no takers. Between you and me we now what that means. Besides we have some one by the name of perrault. Him and turgeon are very similar players but perraults has more of a scoring toch. And dont forget both of those players dont like physical play so my answer is No!

oli500 is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 11:09 PM
  #11
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
I always thought Turgeon was Koivu"s equal when he was with Montreal.
sure, because koivu was playing on one leg...

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 12:04 AM
  #12
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
I doubt it in this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
People dont forget that Dallas said they would pay half of turgeons salary if they find a buyer for him.(saw it on sportsnet) So he wouldent come as much as his salary shows. I stil would not take him because of the fact that no one wants him. Dallas has offered his services to every team and still no takers. Between you and me we now what that means. Besides we have some one by the name of perrault. Him and turgeon are very similar players but perraults has more of a scoring toch. And dont forget both of those players dont like physical play so my answer is No!
Dallas would pay half his salary and pay all of Brisebois's salary? I don't think so dude, do the math . 4million Brisebois + Half of Turgeon's salary for a trade that doesn't really help Dallas at all anyway?
When is everyone going to get it into their heads that we can NOT trade Brisebois right now, He is not worth anything to the HABS because of the situation in Montreal and EVERY other team in the NHL knows this . So . Why would anyone fork out more than a dozen hockey sticks for the guy ?

He will either be traded for next to nothing and we'll pick up some of the salary or he will rot in Montreal until he decides to play in another league in Europe somewhere.
NO TEAM IS GOING TO GIVE US ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT HE IS ACTUALLY WORTH.
I hate to say it because I'm not very fond of brisebois to begin with BUT I'd much rather have him on the team as a 4th or 5th D-man than to trade him for another dead-wood like Mckay.....because we're going to have to cover his 4 million bucks anyway, might as well see him put up 40-50 points this year for us rather than trade him for some lame ass hockey player who will end up sitting out to make room for younger players. We're stuck with the 4million dollar contract , might as well make the best of it.

tritone is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 09:24 AM
  #13
TazzMetal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
Well when Koivu gets 38 goals and 96 points in a season give me a call. That is what Turgeon did with Montreal and we wont even mention the 58 goals and 132 points with the Islanders one year. On second thought I dont think Koivu's 71 points equals that being a math whiz
Turgeon did get 96 points with the Habs but that was in the 1995-96 season. You simply cannot compare 1995-96 stats to any of 2000 + season right now. It was another era of hockey while the current era is a more defensive oriented type of play. Heck, in 1995-96 Lemieux led the league with161 points and over 10+ players had 100 + points season. Today, you'd be even lucky to see 4-5 players break the 100 pts mark.

And yes, we know that Turgeon had a 58 goals season... 11 years ago. Do I need to remind that Juneau had 102 in his rookie season ? Numbers were all inflated like this back then.

Koivu's 71 points this season is actually pretty good, considering the current defensive hockey era we are in and that he had no real go to winger last season, except when Zednik was on the first line before being moved to the 2nd.

Turgeon was great, i'll give you that. But just because he was, does not mean he still is and that he could bench his own marks.

Nobody wants to touch Turgeon's contract with the CBA looming and I can almost assure that the Stars will not even protect him. Same can be said with Brisebois but I doubt that Stars would really need a defenseman like Brisebois, they already have two great Powerplay Quarterbacks in Zubov and Numminen and his offense is the only good thing Brisebois has going for him.

TazzMetal is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 10:22 AM
  #14
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMetal
Turgeon did get 96 points with the Habs but that was in the 1995-96 season. You simply cannot compare 1995-96 stats to any of 2000 + season right now. It was another era of hockey while the current era is a more defensive oriented type of play. Heck, in 1995-96 Lemieux led the league with161 points and over 10+ players had 100 + points season. Today, you'd be even lucky to see 4-5 players break the 100 pts mark.

And yes, we know that Turgeon had a 58 goals season... 11 years ago. Do I need to remind that Juneau had 102 in his rookie season ? Numbers were all inflated like this back then.

Koivu's 71 points this season is actually pretty good, considering the current defensive hockey era we are in and that he had no real go to winger last season, except when Zednik was on the first line before being moved to the 2nd.

Turgeon was great, i'll give you that. But just because he was, does not mean he still is and that he could bench his own marks.

Nobody wants to touch Turgeon's contract with the CBA looming and I can almost assure that the Stars will not even protect him. Same can be said with Brisebois but I doubt that Stars would really need a defenseman like Brisebois, they already have two great Powerplay Quarterbacks in Zubov and Numminen and his offense is the only good thing Brisebois has going for him.
When was Turgeon great? Every team he's ever been on has eventually had to try and unload him and were glad to be done with him. What yo usaid about stats, you can't compare. He's a gutless wonder, just like our pal Breezy.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 10:53 AM
  #15
TazzMetal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
When was Turgeon great? Every team he's ever been on has eventually had to try and unload him and were glad to be done with him. What yo usaid about stats, you can't compare. He's a gutless wonder, just like our pal Breezy.
Oh common, to mention that Turgeon was never great is a gross understatement. Turgeon had a good/great career. The guy is closing in on 500 Goals and 1300 points which is pretty damn good, even if he played in the early 90's "offensive" era of the game. He might have been soft all of his career, which frankly has hurt his reputation but he still had a damn good career.

All I was pointing out with stats to Strummerman is that he should not be taking stats of the past to evaluate a player's future like he has done with Turgeon or to compare them out of context and compare them to current stats.

He's still got some mileage in the tank, but as I mentionned, at this state of his career he would not be a good addition to the Habs' line-up.

TazzMetal is offline  
Old
09-21-2003, 07:16 AM
  #16
TazzMetal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Well I think you are assuming that players today are just as good as Lemieux and Gretzky were in their primes. The simple fact mario Lemieux led the scoring race for 3/4 of the season and would have probably won the scoring race if Kovavlev hadnt been traded shows how much better these players were. Lemieux is not in his prime now. Turgeon is not in his prime now. However only 2 years ago Turgeon had a great year and the Blues finished first overall in the league. It shows good players can still stand ouut.
Not at all. I never assumed any of this and this is getting into a game who's assuming what the other assumed. Turgeon had good years playing with the Blues, but he was playing with a great team and had great linemates but I still give him all the credit in the world.

Anyways, this is going away from the fact that Turgeon would be a terrible addition to our line-up which cannot handle another aging veteran, a nightmare for our payroll, a new target for the Brisbois haters and would take another spot away from our youngsters. It's time to get young, not old.

Quote:
The offensive era wa sthe 80's with Grets, Mario was alone in the 90's.
The early 1990's was all offense as well. Otherwise, you would not have seen 76 Goals by Selanne & Mogilny or 10+ players reaching 100 pts a year.

TazzMetal is offline  
Old
09-21-2003, 02:33 PM
  #17
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
Turgeon is a more skilled version of Perreault.

No thanks... Grossly overpaid at $7M.

SuperUnknown is offline  
Old
09-21-2003, 03:03 PM
  #18
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
I wasnt discussing contract. Obviously we wont pay 7 million if that is what he is earning. Dallas will have to pay a good portion of it. Yes a more skilled version of a 25 goal scorer is a 35 goals scorer- Id take him in a flash
He's a bad influence. Slacker. I hated him when he was here and I hated him when he was in Buffalo. Can't stand him. I don't like him. He makes me sick. He was an embarrassment to the jersey. I can go on...

tinyzombies is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.