HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

UPDATE: The 1980 Miracle on Ice ACTUAL GAME will be REPLAYED on TUESDAY and THURSDAY

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2005, 10:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Great find.

By the way, has anybody remember or know when else Al Micheals did play by play for hockey? Because he's not bad at it at all and I can't recall him ever doing games after that or before it.

Thanx, Lou. I am not sure about hockey but as you probably know he did Reds' baseball in the early 70s right before Marty Brennaman.

Old
02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 986
Quote:
Great find.

By the way, has anybody remember or know when else Al Micheals did play by play for hockey? Because he's not bad at it at all and I can't recall him ever doing games after that or before it.

I think he did the 1984 olympics for hockey as well.

Old
02-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I think he did the 1984 olympics for hockey as well.
I'm more wondering if he did any play by play before 1980, he had to polish his skills somewhere.

02-20-2005, 10:29 PM
(lone)Yashinfan#79

perhaps i am overstating the obvious, but this was THE game of my generation and i grew up on Soviet Hockey (and then Gretzky, like most of us).
any word on when/if there is a re-air of the PTI special?
Kornhoser?
are you out there?

Old
02-20-2005, 11:12 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by (lone)Yashinfan#79
perhaps i am overstating the obvious, but this was THE game of my generation and i grew up on Soviet Hockey (and then Gretzky, like most of us).
Kornhoser?
are you out there?
Well, I missed the broadcast today, but had tivo search for a rebroadcast.

I didn't find a repeat on ESPN, but it came up that ESPN Classic is showing both the USSR game (Tues) and the Finland game (Thurs). Both are 2 hr 30 min, so it looks like the complete games.

Old
02-20-2005, 11:31 PM
clefty
Ice cream for crow

Dammit.

Wish I saw this thread on Saturday.

Old
02-21-2005, 01:37 AM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by (lone)Yashinfan#79
Kornhoser?
are you out there?
Unfortunately they aren't going to show a repeat of the PTI special, but there will be a couple replays of the actual game itself over the next few days.

Basically a recap of the PTI episode was this:

-They talked about events leading up to the game
-They talked about the political significance of it
-They talked about the actual game itself
-They talked about what it was like after the game as word spread that the USA beat the Soviets
-Then they interviewed Mike Eruzione for 5 minutes and he talked about the team and everything we've all heard before
-Then they had the foodchain segment where they ranked the top 5 upsets in sports history, then they came back and closed out the show.

Wilbon ranked the 1980 Miracle on Ice THIRD, he thinks Cassius Clay beating Sonny Liston and the USSR beating the USA in basketball in the 1972 olympics were both bigger than the 1980 Miracle on Ice .

Old
02-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Dammit.

Wish I saw this thread on Saturday.
There will be replays of the game, I just updated the first post in the thread with the replay schedules.

Old
02-21-2005, 10:53 AM
acr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord
Wilbon ranked the 1980 Miracle on Ice THIRD, he thinks Cassius Clay beating Sonny Liston and the USSR beating the USA in basketball in the 1972 olympics were both bigger than the 1980 Miracle on Ice .
Yeah, Wilbon makes himself look dumber every day. He's such a blatant hockey hater. How is the best boxer of all time beating the guy who was the best before him count as the biggest upset ever? And the Basketball game was rigged.

Old
02-21-2005, 11:27 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Well, I missed the broadcast today, but had tivo search for a rebroadcast.

I didn't find a repeat on ESPN, but it came up that ESPN Classic is showing both the USSR game (Tues) and the Finland game (Thurs). Both are 2 hr 30 min, so it looks like the complete games.
Damn, I don't get ESPN Classic where I live. I'd love to see a replay of the US-Finland game, because I was there. I was young at the time and wish I remembered more:

I can recall waving an little American flag all game long.
They were losing 2-1 after two periods.
Our seats were right at the top of the circle.
Mark Johnson scoring, not sure if it was the tying or winning goal.

Old
02-21-2005, 11:30 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
Nothing happens during the second period, so I came down here.

Tikanov was dumb to pull Tretiak, even though it appears he was dogging it to get back at the Soviet government for not giving him his work release to join the NHL(or did that happen afterwards, I forgot the story)
I don't get why he gets killed for yanking Tretiak as much as he does. Tretiak gave up two brutal goals in the first period. The move seemed to wake the Soviets up as they dominated the 2nd period. Only the brilliance of Craig kept it a one goal game after two periods.

Myshkin (sp?) wasn't an untested goalie. He was in net for game 3 of the NHL - Soviet Challange Cup in 1979, and he beat the NHL stars 6-0.

Old
02-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
I'm more wondering if he did any play by play before 1980, he had to polish his skills somewhere.
I'm pretty sure that Michaels had never called a hockey game in his life before the 1980 Winter Games. I'll try to find a link that testifies to that thought, if I can.

Edit: no links found yet, I'll keep trying. My recollection was that his stock as a broadcaster went through the roof after that Olympics only in part because of the "Do you believe in miracles?" quote, but also for doing such an excellent job calling a sport he had no prior experience working in.

If I also remember correctly, his assignment to the hockey venue was because he was pretty much the low man on the totem pole experience-wise at ABC (that's how low hockey was perceived as by the network compared to other sports, like figure skating and skiing, covered that Olympics). His background was in baseball; ABC hired him in the late 70's as a regional announcer for Monday Night Baseball, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by Matt Foley*: 02-21-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old
02-21-2005, 12:19 PM
rekrul

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I don't get why he gets killed for yanking Tretiak as much as he does. Tretiak gave up two brutal goals in the first period. The move seemed to wake the Soviets up as they dominated the 2nd period. Only the brilliance of Craig kept it a one goal game after two periods.

Myshkin (sp?) wasn't an untested goalie. He was in net for game 3 of the NHL - Soviet Challange Cup in 1979, and he beat the NHL stars 6-0.
About the only thing of new I herd in the PTI interview with Erozione was that in his opinion pulling Tretiak was not as big of a deal as it was. He said " its like they pulled Patrick Roy but put in Marty Brodour". Pretty good point I think, also Ken Dryden, who should know a thing or two about Goaltending, during the comentary was pointing out that Tretiak was having a pretty lousy ( by his world class standards ) tourney. In real time anlysis Dryden thought it was a pretty bold but perhaps needed move.

Old
02-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley
I'm pretty sure that Michaels had never called a hockey game in his life before the 1980 Winter Games. I'll try to find a link that testifies to that thought, if I can.

Edit: no links found yet, I'll keep trying. My recollection was that his stock as a broadcaster went through the roof after that Olympics only in part because of the "Do you believe in miracles?" quote, but also for doing such an excellent job calling a sport he had no prior experience working in.

If I also remember correctly, his assignment to the hockey venue was because he was pretty much the low man on the totem pole experience-wise at ABC (that's how low hockey was perceived as by the network compared to other sports, like figure skating and skiing, covered that Olympics). His background was in baseball; ABC hired him in the late 70's as a regional announcer for Monday Night Baseball, I'm pretty sure.
Wow, if he never called a hockey game before the 1980 Olympics that's damn impressive, hockey games is one of the most difficult sports to call play by play.

Old
02-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Matt Foley*

I remember seeing an interview with Michaels (with Roy Firestone, perhaps?) some years ago where the interviewer asked him about that Olympics and the interviewer being flabbergasted to learn Al had no prior experience calling a hockey game before. When asked what he did to prepare for the games, Al said something to the effect that he spent a lot of time watching games on tape (in part to reinforce his understanding of the rules) and that his goal was to not embarrass himself. Just my recollection.

Old
02-21-2005, 12:52 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
ESPN is titling this as the 1980 olympic Semifinal, and almost anytime you hear the media talk about it, it refers to it as the semifinal and the Finland game as the final, but if I'm not mistaken, wasn't it really a round robin format between the 4 finalists with the medals decided by the points teams earn in those games?
Here's the deal with the 1980 Olympic hockey format.

There were two divisions of six teams. They played round-robin (one game against each divisional opponent.) The top two teams in each division advanced to the Medal Round, bringing their game against the other advancing team into that round. A team would then play the two teams from the other division to basically create a round-robin Medal Round.

Red Division
USSR (5-0-0 10 PTS) 1st
Finland (3-2-0 6 PTS) 2nd Defeated Canada
Canada (3-2-0 6 PTS)
Poland (2-3-0 4 PTS)
Holland (1-3-1 3 PTS)
Japan (0-4-1 1 PT)

Blue Division
Sweden (4-0-1 9 PTS) 1st Better goal differential than USA
USA (4-0-1 9 PTS) 2nd
Czechloslovakia (3-2-0 6 PTS)
Romania (1-3-1 3 PTS)
West Germany (1-4-0 2 PTS)
Norway (0-4-1 1 PT)

Start of the Medal Round
1. USSR (1-0-0 2 PTS) 4 GF, 3 GA
2. Sweden (0-0-1 1 PT) 2 GF, 2 GA
2. USA (0-0-1 1 PT) 2 GF, 2 GA
4. Finland (0-1-0 0 PTS) 3 GF, 4 GA

After Feb. 22 Games
1. USA (1-0-1 3 PTS) 6 GF, 5 GA
2. USSR (1-1-0 2 PTS 7 GF, 7 GA
2. Sweden (0-0-2 2 PTS) 5 GF, 5 GA
4. Finland (0-1-1 1 1 PT) 6 GF, 7 GA

It was possible for any of the teams to win the gold or to finish 4th and not win a medal heading into the final two games on February 22.

Final Standings
1. USA (2-0-1 5 PTS) GOLD
2. (USSR 2-1-0 4 PTS) SILVER
3. Sweden (0-1-2 2 PTS) BRONZE
4. Finland (0-2-1 1 PT)
------------------------------------------------------------
5. Czechloslovakia (4-2-0) Defeated Canada 6-1 in the 5th-Place Game.
6. Canada (3-3-0) See above.

Old
02-21-2005, 01:02 PM
acr*

So the US' tie against Sweden in the qualifying round carried over as their head-to-head in the medal round(same goes for USSR/Finland)?

Old
02-21-2005, 01:04 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
So the US' tie against Sweden in the qualifying round carried over as their head-to-head in the medal round(same goes for USSR/Finland)?
Yes.

Old
02-21-2005, 01:05 PM
acr*

Alright, makes sense now.

Old
02-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
What I wanted to know is if the 8:00 PM tape delay was interupted to go to bobsledding or cross-country skiing? I really can't believe that they would have, with the exception of intermissions.
I think the entire game was broadcast in that time slot, with other sports covered during what would have been the intermissions.

ABC caught a lot of grief from the national media the next day for broadcasting the game that Friday night as if it was happening live. However, if you listened to what Jim McKay said at the beginning of the broadcast, it was pretty clear that the game had already been decided and that the network didn't want to ruin it for anyone who wanted to watch the game without knowing the final score.

Old
02-21-2005, 02:07 PM
acr*

Yeah, I loved McKay's "If there's one person in America who doesn't know the outcome of this game, then...I don't want to be the one to tell you."

Old
02-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Damn, I don't get ESPN Classic where I live. I'd love to see a replay of the US-Finland game, because I was there. I was young at the time and wish I remembered more:

I can recall waving an little American flag all game long.
They were losing 2-1 after two periods.
Our seats were right at the top of the circle.
Mark Johnson scoring, not sure if it was the tying or winning goal.
Johnson scored the game-tying goal. Mike Eruzione scored the game-winner.

BTW, I caught the tail end of PTI and I can't believe that Wilbon picked the game 3rd! What the......???? (Lemme guess, Kornheiser had something to do with it too, right?)

Old
02-21-2005, 03:15 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick

BTW, I caught the tail end of PTI and I can't believe that Wilbon picked the game 3rd! What the......???? (Lemme guess, Kornheiser had something to do with it too, right?)
That was the Soviet game, I was speaking about the US-Finland game, I don't believe Eruzione scored against Finland

EDIT: I found it Johnson scored the 4th goal vs. the Finns

Verchota tied it early in the 3rd.
McClanahan scored the game winner from Johnson
Johnson sealed the game and gold medal with 3 and half minutes remaining.

Old
02-21-2005, 03:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick

Kornheiser put that #1. He said they were getting paid to do that show and he had to do that

Old
02-21-2005, 03:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
Yeah, I loved McKay's "If there's one person in America who doesn't know the outcome of this game, then...I don't want to be the one to tell you."

That would have ruined it for me. I would have known right away.

Whose grand idea was it to tape delay the game anyways? Was it because it was an afternoon game?

Closed Thread