HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melnyk's funny..

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Melnyk's funny..

he's saying in TSN that the NHLPA should let the players vote because he feels that more than 1/2 would play under a salary cap...why not let the owners vote and have a majority determine the outcome because more than 1/2 of them would play without a cap. It's so one-sided sometimes...

Old
02-14-2005, 07:10 AM
endthelockout

vCash:
I think at least 60% would play under the cap. Maybe 70%. It seems to be the pattern with the NHL. You have a few big mouth player reps that like to act tough and they don't represent the majority of the players and how they feel.

Old
02-14-2005, 07:32 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthelockout
I think at least 60% would play under the cap. Maybe 70%.
And you are getting these #'s from where?

"It seems to be the pattern with the NHL. You have a few big mouth player reps that like to act tough and they don't represent the majority of the players and how they feel."

Really? And how do Bettman's 8 necessary to cancel a season represent the majority of owners? Can't the same thing be said about them that you are trying to say about the NHLPA?

Old
02-14-2005, 08:05 AM
NYFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
And you are getting these #'s from where?

"It seems to be the pattern with the NHL. You have a few big mouth player reps that like to act tough and they don't represent the majority of the players and how they feel."

Really? And how do Bettman's 8 necessary to cancel a season represent the majority of owners? Can't the same thing be said about them that you are trying to say about the NHLPA?
True Blue, you can't say its the same, because the owners agreed, to the 8 owner veto. I don't think that a player making 200k has anywhere near the same feelings of a Jagr or Holik does about this lockout. Although they are both losing money, I think we can all agree the player losing and making only 200k is who this lockout will really affect when all is said and done. All a guy like Holik is thinking is that the gravy train is over!

Old
02-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Fletch

NYFan...

there aren't too many players making $200K. There are a good number of players making $800K-$1.2 million who may be up for contract renewal soon. Many of them could be looking at decent raises. Put in the NHL's CBA proposal and all of the sudden the fat raise they were looking at isn't there.

I don't know firsthand if it's 50%, 60%, 70% or 30% who would support a hard cap, and I don't think anyone here can say for sure, but they may surprise you. You'd be surprised that many of the low-earners back the NHLPA and understand that significant salary cuts would be across the board, and that means less money for everybody. Your guy getting overpaid at $500K may now be around $300K...think he doesn't want to fight a bit for that extra $200K?

This isn't just about the Jagrs and Holiks, it's about all of them. It's about the kids coming up through the ranks. It's about Crosby. It's about Yzerman. It's about York. The CBA will affect all players now and for the next several years, at least.

Old
02-14-2005, 09:20 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
True Blue, you can't say its the same, because the owners agreed, to the 8 owner veto.
That does not mean that the majority of the owners would not work under something besides a cap like Bettman wants.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:23 PM
JCProdigy

Funny thing about the majority of players probably being willing to play under a cap. Several hockey guys have said just that. Neil Smith said that he believes that a majority of the players would be willing to play under a cap. He was the one who put out the 70% number (as a vague guesstimate) on the Mike and the Mad Dog show just last week. I happened to catch Dellapina on Mike'd up last night too and when Mike mentioned what Smith said on the show, Dellapina wouldn't go so far as to say 70% but he also believed that the majority would play under a cap. To back them up further, JD also expressed the same sentiment on Sportdesk the Thursday before last. Now you can take these guys opinions for whatever they are worth but I'll believe that they have a better pulse on the players standings then any of us.

BUT more importantly, another thing that Dellapina said (and Smith mentioned), when asked if the players would cry out about this and try to "overthrow" their leadership regarding a cap, he knows that hockey players in general are fiercely loyal and that would not happen. For better or worse, they will stick with their leadership's mantra, at least until the middle of next season.

Old
02-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Fletch

I don't doubt...

that the majority of players would go for a cap system. I also wouldn't put it around 70%. What I'm saying is that 16 owners may opt for the NHLPA's proposal and I don't know why they don't get rid of the 8 to veto and go with a vote themselves (actually I do know why, but if one suggests the NHLPA to do it, one should suggest the owners to do it too).

Old
02-14-2005, 01:16 PM
True Blue

Right on, Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
that the majority of players would go for a cap system. I also wouldn't put it around 70%. What I'm saying is that 16 owners may opt for the NHLPA's proposal and I don't know why they don't get rid of the 8 to veto and go with a vote themselves (actually I do know why, but if one suggests the NHLPA to do it, one should suggest the owners to do it too).
People seem to want to overlook WHY Bettman needs ONLY 26.6% of all the owners to cancel the season. So by saying that 60-70% of the players would play under a cap, one could also say that roughly 75% of the owners would operate in a system that did not ave a cap.

Old
02-14-2005, 02:38 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
People seem to want to overlook WHY Bettman needs ONLY 26.6% of all the owners to cancel the season. So by saying that 60-70% of the players would play under a cap, one could also say that roughly 75% of the owners would operate in a system that did not have a cap.
Just to clear things, I wasn't personally making any suggestions or overlooking anything, just stating what I heard from some industry guys. To be honest with you I could care less which side gives in. The only interest I have is that one side does eventually buckle so that I can see some hockey. I haven't posted much at all since last season because of my apathy towards the labor dispute. Greed rules the world.

Indeed what is one of the major problems through this whole process is that the extreme minority are trying to make policy when it is probably true that the majority on both sides of the fence have more moderate views when it comes to a cap/luxary tax. It's truly sad but that's the way it is most of the time.

Closed Thread