JD Forrest - Sai Pai

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2005, 07:49 AM
john g

vCash: 500
JD Forrest - Sai Pai

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could comment on how Forrest looked this season playing for Sai Pai. Watching him in college, I wondered how his game turned out over in the FNL.

He was a small, gritty defenseman in college, and I figured he may have troubles playing against larger forwards once he played in another league besides US college. His stats looked decent from what I saw on hockeydb.com.

thanks in advance!

Old
02-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Padawan
Former *********

First, the team is called SaiPa.

Now on with the business. He has been a slight disappointment considering what people expected him to be. He still seems to have trouble with bigger players. He has been a healthy scratch and with SaiPa that is a big deal. With that kind of defence line up you have to be quite bad not to be in the line up. I've understand that he looks for a new team for next season.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:39 PM
aHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
First, the team is called SaiPa.

Now on with the business. He has been a slight disappointment considering what people expected him to be. He still seems to have trouble with bigger players. He has been a healthy scratch and with SaiPa that is a big deal. With that kind of defence line up you have to be quite bad not to be in the line up. I've understand that he looks for a new team for next season.
Considering JD is playing his first season as professional hockey player he's done good. People who expected more need a reality check.

First of all, Forrest has been used wrongly during the whole season. For a guy who's strength clearly is offensive game he has been getting way too small powerplay minutes. Still, he's on pace for 20 point season and these're really good numbers for a rookie dman.

He started the season slowly, but gained confidence and started producing well. Unfortunately it seems he has lost that confidence now and makes easy mistakes in every game. The production gone his weaknesses are showing more. Lack of size of course the obvious one, and I think he could improve his skating too... He tends to take way too many hooking/interference penalties.
But Forrest should become a good puckmoving defenceman in future, I don't see him playing in NHL, but of course there are plenty of other options for a professional hockey player. Like I said couple of times already, this is his first season as a professional hockey player and first season abroad.

The fact that he has been healthy scratch in couple of games doesn't mean much. There's pretty much only one dman in SaiPa who hasn't been healthy scratch in one time or another during this season...

All in all, I think this was a good experiment from SaiPa to take these two university players (Mike Gabinet from University of Nebraska-Omaha being the other one), and I hope we'll see more of these in coming years.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:34 PM
john g

Cool! Thanks for the info

Apologies for the team name mis-spelling =)

Old
02-15-2005, 01:47 AM
SergeiK

His stats so far are 7 + 11 = 18 and -12 in 45 games. Those are pretty decent stats for any defenceman.

Closed Thread