HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA discussion/update thread-Please keep all CBA talk here

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
CBA discussion/update thread-Please keep all CBA talk here

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will announce the cancellation of the 2004-05 season at a news conference Tuesday in New York, following the failure of both sides in the labour dispute to get a deal on paper by his weekend deadline.

Old
02-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Albi

Announcement postponed to Wednesday - link

Old
02-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Jungle Boy

Maybe not...
NHLPA offers cap

Old
02-15-2005, 06:56 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

NHLPA willing to accept a 52 million cap.

NHL wants a 40 million cap.

Can they bridge the gap in one day?

I'm optimistic.

I don't see why they can't compromise at 46 million.

Old
02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19

I'm optimistic.
me too

Now on to more important topics. What Kings Jersey should be Mc Donald's first purchase

Old
02-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Face Wash

Keep in mind folks.... the Kings spend $45-$47 mil on payroll the last 4 or 5 years and they still lose $10 mil per year. The real controls would be revenue sharing at 50-55% for the players which is the "true link" to revenues and salaries. Sounds like the revenue sharing is out now in exchange for a cap.

The Edmonton's, Ottawa's, Buffalo's and Carolina's of the world, are only aided by the fact that the Stars, Rangers, Avalanche, Blues and Wings can now only spend as much as half what they used to spend. That doesn't exactly breed the kind of parity the league was looking for.

Without revenue sharing, this only "sort of" helps in my view. I'm still not too optimistic. If I was the owners, I'd wait and declare an impasse. The union is still not undertanding the real issues.

Old
02-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Albi

46 Milion won't make the owners happy...no way

Old
02-15-2005, 12:08 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

season might be saved if $12 mil can be bridged

nhlpa has agreed to a $52 mil cap while owners wnat a $40 mil cap. nhlpa has made a huge jump forward, owners need to step up and bring their cap up. this is the first legit sacrifice the nhlpa has made, now the owners need to make one too.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...14&hubName=nhl

way to go players

Old
02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Sybil227

The owners have said they're not interested in raising their cap. But they might come up a little bit. I think the BEST news is that the players are willing to lower their cap IF the NHL presents a solid, detailed revenue sharing plan. They're basically telling the owners: "You want a level playing field? Prove it. THEN we'll talk." Good for them!! Way to go.
The NHL might get their $40M cap if they can really show that they want parity. Here's hoping....

Old
02-15-2005, 12:57 PM
King Blazer

Are they really THAT close?

From TSN:

Details of both proposals have been posted on The Source, the NHLPA's secure website for players.

Sources say the NHLPA proposal is as follows:

- A cap of $52 million but with provisions for teams to spend as much as 10 per cent more than that on three occasions in a six-year period, with a luxury tax incorporated. The luxury tax rates would be 25 per cent on $40-44 million; 50 per cent on $44-48 million; 75 per cent on $48-52 million and 150 per cent on $52-$57.2 million.

Sources say the NHL proposal is as follows:

- A hard cap of $40 million, with a 50 per cent luxury tax on $34-40 million.

As for the possibility of negotiations, sources on the NHLPA side are suggesting the union will only negotiate off the $52 million figure if the NHL presents a detailed, meaningful revenue sharing plan.

On the NHL side of the equation, sources are suggesting the league isn't prepared to go much higher than the $40 million cap figure.

link: www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115014

Basically, it appears the NHLPA proposal is for a "soft" cap...

The triggers for the tax in the NHLPA proposal start AFTER the proposed hard cap by the League is exceeded...

50% tax above $34-million in the League proposal...

The bridge looks a heck of a lot bigger than the $12-million reported earlier...

Great strategy by the players to make it more difficult for the League to declare an impasse and impose labor conditions. I don't see Bettman canceling squat tomorrow except the press conference which is a brilliant move by the NHLPA. Probably not much closer to a season this year, but likely further away from an impasse declaration by the Owners...

Sorry if I'm being a buzz kill but I really don't see anything different from the players except a bump in their luxury tax numbers and people calling it a "cap"...

Old
02-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Albi

Sportsnet is reporting the 2 sides are still talking.

NHL counterproposal in the works?

I guess, this is our last chance.

Old
02-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Albi

More from Slam.ca - link

Old
02-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
nhlpa has agreed to a $52 mil cap while owners wnat a $40 mil cap. nhlpa has made a huge jump forward, owners need to step up and bring their cap up. this is the first legit sacrifice the nhlpa has made, now the owners need to make one too.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...14&hubName=nhl

way to go players

The owners gave up revenue sharing (The link between revenues and Salaries), which even the NHLPA stated as a step in the right direction. The owners have already given... Once again, I'm not optimistic unless the players realize a cap without rev. sharing doesn't help the poor teams at all.

Old
02-15-2005, 02:21 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
The owners gave up revenue sharing (The link between revenues and Salaries), which even the NHLPA stated as a step in the right direction. The owners have already given... Once again, I'm not optimistic unless the players realize a cap without rev. sharing doesn't help the poor teams at all.
From the TSN article:

As for the possibility of negotiations, sources on the NHLPA side are suggesting the union will only negotiate off the $52 million figure if the NHL presents a detailed, meaningful revenue sharing plan.

I don't think Bettman and Co. are interested in having the Players Association dictate to them how revenues should be split, redistributed or shared one bit. This will likely be the next hurdle, bridge, gap whatever you want to call it. At the end of the day, a no deal without a meaningful revenue sharing plan response from the Players side and a don't tell us how to run our business response from the Owners side.

Tomorrow's press conference will be cancelled and both sides will forge ahead in meaningless banter about their latest "philosophical differences" calling it something to do with differing "models"...

edit: Want to add that I think it's a brilliant move by the PA to include the need for a meaningful revenue sharing plan. This could drive a large wedge between the haves and have-less owners...

I think Bettman has already indicated in the Hockey News that he doesn't believe revenue sharing works without linkage...

Last edited by King Blazer: 02-15-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old
02-15-2005, 03:26 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19

I'm optimistic.

I don't see why they can't compromise at 46 million.
Dude,........do you ever sleep (last mc-19 post 4:56 a.m.) your like a little kid on christmas morning......go back to bed and well talk later!

Old
02-15-2005, 03:28 PM
McSorley 33

Looks like we will be watching hockey again.......the sides look to close now not to get it done...amazing....and I thought it was going to be a long spring and summer.

Old
02-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Albi

Players surprised at salary cap proposal - tsn.ca

Team 1200, a canadian radio, apparently reported Bettman will speak at 6pm tonight...

Old
02-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33
Looks like we will be watching hockey again.......the sides look to close now not to get it done...amazing....and I thought it was going to be a long spring and summer.
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think we'll be watching NHL hockey this year, guys. Good to hear the union finally gave in on a cap at some level.

I want to see an NFL-style hard cap with sufficient revenue sharing to enable the Edmontons of the world to compete with the Rangers and Red Wings. Reset the cap each year based on revenues the prior year. Teams take risk of loss each year, and benefit of gain, if the cap is too low or high. At least they have a fair shot at making a profit by setting the cap based on a percentage of revenue the prior year.

I am tired of watching the Red Wings and Rangers buy all of the best players. I want a level playing surface. And I am prepared to watch replacement players if that is what it takes to get a fair system in place. Screw the players and their agents.

:mad:

Old
02-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
From TSN

The NHL has filed a counter-proposal to the NHL Players' Association offer, upping the salary cap to $42.5 million.

The NHL has told NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow that it's a final offer with no flexibility or room to negotiate and must have a response by Wednesday at 11am.

Details to follow.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115048

Old
02-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Face Wash

As I said, I'm not optimistic.

Old
02-15-2005, 06:42 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

well, this is as close as they've ever been. $10 mil is signficicant',but close nonetheles

Old
02-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
well, this is as close as they've ever been. $10 mil is signficicant',but close nonetheles
$10 million times 30 teams is $300 million. a much larger number to ponder.

Old
02-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
But not every team will get to the 52 million mark. But obviously there is a big difference although, this is as close as they can come to a deal at this point. I say put the new owners "final offer" to vote by the players.

Old
02-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
NHLPA submits an offer of a 49 million dollar cap. So, now were 6.5 off in terms of max payroll.

Old
02-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Betteman quickly rejected it

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115048

Closed Thread