HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

CBA discussion/update thread-Please keep all CBA talk here

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2005, 01:41 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
bettman says the PA's opportunity to have an agreement w/o linkage is off the table. goodneow says the 24% rollback is off the table, im assuming the cap is too. and yet, both are saying they are not back to square one. how much anyone wana bet we're goign to go through at least another 2-3 month silence we experienced from sept - january? except this time i think its not going to heat up until september, from which i don't think they'll get it figured out til january earliest.

Old
02-17-2005, 03:38 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
bettman says the PA's opportunity to have an agreement w/o linkage is off the table. goodneow says the 24% rollback is off the table, im assuming the cap is too. and yet, both are saying they are not back to square one. how much anyone wana bet we're goign to go through at least another 2-3 month silence we experienced from sept - january? except this time i think its not going to heat up until september, from which i don't think they'll get it figured out til january earliest.
I think the players are going to fire Goodenow and a deal gets done in time for the draft. That is what should happen now, but I could see them sticking by Goodenow and having this go on through January 2006 too.

Old
02-17-2005, 03:56 PM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
I think the players are going to fire Goodenow and a deal gets done in time for the draft. That is what should happen now, but I could see them sticking by Goodenow and having this go on through January 2006 too.
So, which is it?

Old
02-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
If, Bettman wasn't a jackass they could have reached a 45 million dollar cap. He didn't want to negotiate on Tuesday he just put out the final offer. I find it funny when people call these players greedy and blame them when 24% of there salary was being cut, there was going to be a luxary tax and there was going to be a salary cap. The only POSITIVE thing the owners offered was offered monday and that was not linking salaries to revenues. Don't get me wrong Goodenow is a jackass to but when it comes down to it...I think the Union really wanted to save the season while the Bettman took a take it or leave it, no more negotiating, I don't give a **** attitude.

Add a stronger luxary tax and make the payroll at 45 million and I think the deal would've been done.

Old
02-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
If, Bettman wasn't a jackass they could have reached a 45 million dollar cap. He didn't want to negotiate on Tuesday he just put out the final offer. I find it funny when people call these players greedy and blame them when 24% of there salary was being cut, there was going to be a luxary tax and there was going to be a salary cap. The only POSITIVE thing the owners offered was offered monday and that was not linking salaries to revenues. Don't get me wrong Goodenow is a jackass to but when it comes down to it...I think the Union really wanted to save the season while the Bettman took a take it or leave it, no more negotiating, I don't give a **** attitude.

Add a stronger luxary tax and make the payroll at 45 million and I think the deal would've been done.
Come on. You can't seriously think for one minute that was really Bettman's FINAL offer. Anyone who has ever negoitiated a contract or even your own salary has a figure in mind. I'm willing to bet dollars to dougnuts that if Goodenow had come back with an counter offer of 45 the deal would have been done. I blame them both, however I think Goodenow did not have the player's best interest in his head.
A tad greedy and now they all have some major explaining to do to a lot of people!

Old
02-17-2005, 09:34 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney & Bourke
Come on. You can't seriously think for one minute that was really Bettman's FINAL offer. Anyone who has ever negoitiated a contract or even your own salary has a figure in mind. I'm willing to bet dollars to dougnuts that if Goodenow had come back with an counter offer of 45 the deal would have been done. I blame them both, however I think Goodenow did not have the player's best interest in his head.
A tad greedy and now they all have some major explaining to do to a lot of people!
the same could be said for bettman, who also was given a final offer from goodenow w/ the $49 mil. at the same time, these two BOTH gave a final offer and BOTH stuck true to their word. so maybe they were seroius after all.

Old
02-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney & Bourke
Final Offer or not he didn't offer anything after that. He said there's no time to negotiate so, take it or leave it. Goodenow came back with a counter offer of 49 million. You expected him to go from 52 million all the way down to 45 million in back to back offers? Goodenow was expecting bettman to coem back with an offer of his own, instead he rejected it and left the "final offer" alone. I blame both sides for not even meeting on Tuesday they were just exchanging faxes which I think hurt everything. But, again Bettman at the end IMO was the one who had more fault.

Old
02-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
the same could be said for bettman, who also was given a final offer from goodenow w/ the $49 mil. at the same time, these two BOTH gave a final offer and BOTH stuck true to their word. so maybe they were seroius after all.
Goodenow never said it was a final offer if, I'm not mistaken. He was just waiting for Bettman to come back with a better offer. But Bettman stuck to his word and didn't negotiate.

Old
02-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Final Offer or not he didn't offer anything after that. He said there's no time to negotiate so, take it or leave it. Goodenow came back with a counter offer of 49 million. You expected him to go from 52 million all the way down to 45 million in back to back offers? Goodenow was expecting bettman to coem back with an offer of his own, instead he rejected it and left the "final offer" alone. I blame both sides for not even meeting on Tuesday they were just exchanging faxes which I think hurt everything. But, again Bettman at the end IMO was the one who had more fault.
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Bettman ( I am not a fan of either, they should both lose their jobs) was the one with the most control to cancel the season. He played hard ball with them I believe in an effort TO negotiate and Goodenow did not want to budge. Really they should have been talking a long time ago and not at the last minute. The damage to the sport is just sad. I believe I heard Goodenow was not even talking to the player's at one point and getting their input? If I were the players I'd be pretty upset with him right about now.

Old
02-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Goodenow never said it was a final offer if, I'm not mistaken. He was just waiting for Bettman to come back with a better offer. But Bettman stuck to his word and didn't negotiate.
Maybe Jt will start posting soon. He said he registered today We were talking about this last night infact. I can't remember exactly what he said but he recalled Bettman making a statement that would have eluded to the door being open to a counter offer. Perhaps Goodenow was just not thinking or just did not care.

Old
02-18-2005, 02:33 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Link

"Splinter group of players said to be drawing up labor plan without input from union"

"According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the group is forming an offer it hopes to soon present to the NHL. The proposal, the source said, involves a $46-million cap with a 100 percent luxury tax that starts at $42 million. There also is a provision that drops the cap to $42 million should more than eight teams hit the $46-million cap in the same season."

What do you guys think?

Old
02-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Link

"Splinter group of players said to be drawing up labor plan without input from union"

"According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the group is forming an offer it hopes to soon present to the NHL. The proposal, the source said, involves a $46-million cap with a 100 percent luxury tax that starts at $42 million. There also is a provision that drops the cap to $42 million should more than eight teams hit the $46-million cap in the same season."

What do you guys think?
Honestly...I don't know what to think.
I'm sure the players realized that they won't get a better offer in the future from the owners. But is there still time?

Old
02-18-2005, 03:26 AM
Albi

Saskin, Daly and others denying latest rumors - sla.ca

Old
02-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Albi

Fox article

Espn report

Old
02-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I am still blindly optimistic

Old
02-18-2005, 09:42 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I am still blindly optimistic

Who said that?

Old
02-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing
Who said that?
I did

Old
02-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Albi

Quote:
I did
John, Slam.ca is reporting that nothing is going to happen.
Check the hockey section.

I guess it's better we all stop dreaming.
Too bad the only ones who cares it's us, the fans*...

* = the ones who are not billionares/milionares

Old
02-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
John, Slam.ca is reporting that nothing is going to happen.
Check the hockey section.

I guess it's better we all stop dreaming.
Too bad the only ones who cares it's us, the fans*...

* = the ones who are not billionares/milionares
To have Darren Pang, THN, Fan590 and Newsday all reporting secret talks tells me that something is happening and everyone is denying it to keep the press away and not to get everyones hopes up.
EJ Hradek was on ESPN radio this morning reporting the talks and
Here is another arictle Hacksaw had an pretty high profile agent on yesterday who confirmed the takls (his name is escaping me)
http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBEPMTUB5E.html
LA Times

Quote:
Well-placed sources said Thursday that Gretzky, managing partner of the Phoenix Coyotes, and Lemieux, player-owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, spoke to Bettman in an effort to explore whether the season could be salvaged. Sources said Trevor Linden, president of the NHL Players' Assn., and Mike Gartner, the union's director of business relations, met with Bettman in New York on Thursday while players expressed concern about the failed negotiations to the union's Toronto office.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true

One thing I can tell you is Helene Elliott is never wrong. She would report this if it wasn't happening

I am one of those where there is smoke there is fire kind of people.

We'll know for sure by Monday

Last edited by Old Hickory: 02-18-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Old
02-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
TSN now reporting they are talking

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115396

Old
02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
TSN now reporting they are talking

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115396
OH.MY.GOD!

02-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Here's the best line
"Many are confident games will be played this spring, TSN has learned.".

Old
02-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Sportnet now reporting takls
Quote:
Sportsnet has learned there will be contact this weekend between the NHL and NHLPA in an effort to save the 2004-05 season.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...18_170817_1040

Old
02-18-2005, 04:48 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Listen to Hacksaw on am 570 from 3-7 pm m-f and he'll give us an update on hockey. He's the only one that I know, who's talking about it. (I'm sure some of you know that)

Old
02-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33
Listen to Hacksaw on am 570 from 3-7 pm m-f and he'll give us an update on hockey. He's the only one that I know, who's talking about it. (I'm sure some of you know that)
Locally yeah, Fan590 is still your best bet for Hockey talk and news

Closed Thread