HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Axe Falls: Today's Cuts Announced

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

vCash: 500
Axe Falls: Today's Cuts Announced

The Edmonton Oilers have cut their training camp roster to 33 players by announcing the re-assignments of a dozen players.

Of the twelve, ten have been sent to the Toronto Roadrunners of the American Hockey League, while two will return to their junior teams.

Those assigned to Toronto are forwards Nate DiCasmirro, Brad Winchester, Michael Henrich, Mike Bishai, Dan Baum, and Joe Cullen, and defencemen Jan Horacek, Dan Smith, Curtis Sheptak and Doug Lynch.

Returning to their junior teams are goaltender Jeff Deslauriers (Chicoutimi) and 2003 first round pick Marc- Antoine Pouliot (Rimouski).

Old
09-20-2003, 01:46 PM
Lowetide

Ten to go. I wish Winchester and Baum could have gotten longer looks, but it'll be interesting to follow what they do in their first pro seasons.

Hopefully Pouliot shoots lights out in the Q, and Deslauriers builds on another solid camp (that's 2 for him now).

Old
09-20-2003, 01:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
The Edmonton Oilers have cut their training camp roster to 33 players by announcing the re-assignments of a dozen players.

Of the twelve, ten have been sent to the Toronto Roadrunners of the American Hockey League, while two will return to their junior teams.

Those assigned to Toronto are forwards Nate DiCasmirro, Brad Winchester, Michael Henrich, Mike Bishai, Dan Baum, and Joe Cullen, and defencemen Jan Horacek, Dan Smith, Curtis Sheptak and Doug Lynch.

Returning to their junior teams are goaltender Jeff Deslauriers (Chicoutimi) and 2003 first round pick Marc- Antoine Pouliot (Rimouski).

I don't like cutting Smith already, but am glad Sarno stays for now. I wanna see him play in Edmonton. It's obvious they've decided who's in the running for those spots on d.

Old
09-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I'm most surprised about Winchester. At his age and stage of development, I would have thought he would make it into pre-season action. Disappointing.

I also had higher hopes for Horachek. And Baum as well. Oh well, clear the decks.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:01 PM
creative giant*

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. My hope for this years camp was that the Oil would cut the roster down to a manageable number and allow the players to form some chemistry with each other. Unlike last year.

So who's left now?

Goal : Salo, Conklin, Valiquette

Defence : Brewer, Smith, Staois, Semenov, Cross, Ferguson, Luoma, Bergeron, Thompson, Allen

Forwards : Smyth, Hemsky, Isbister, York, Dvorak, Horcoff, Reasoner, Chimera, Laraque, Moreau, Rita, Stoll, Pisani, Sarno, Salmo, Torres, Wright.

I've got 30 players. Obviously missing 3 because the Oilers email says they're at 33 players now. Now, the real battles for roster spots begin.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:05 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
Alright, now we're getting somewhere. My hope for this years camp was that the Oil would cut the roster down to a manageable number and allow the players to form some chemistry with each other. Unlike last year.

So who's left now?

Goal : Salo, Conklin, Valiquette

Defence : Brewer, Smith, Staois, Semenov, Cross, Ferguson, Luoma, Bergeron, Thompson, Allen

Forwards : Smyth, Hemsky, Isbister, York, Dvorak, Horcoff, Reasoner, Chimera, Laraque, Moreau, Rita, Stoll, Pisani, Sarno, Salmo, Torres, Wright.

I've got 30 players. Obviously missing 3 because the Oilers email says they're at 33 players now. Now, the real battles for roster spots begin.
You're missing Henley, Hinz, and J.J. Hunter, who all play tonight.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Mr Sakich

there are probably 7-8 pretty easy cuts to make after this game. The guys who should be headed to the minors ( toronto, god I luv the sound of that, demoted to Toronto):

Henley, Allen, Thompson, Wright, Hinz, Sarno, Hunter, selmo

that leaves:

G: Salo, Conklin, Valiquette
D: Brewer, Semenov, Smith, Staios, Bergeron, Luoma, Cross, Ferguson,
F: Smyth, Isbister, Hemsky, York, Horcoff, Dvorak, Chimera, Rita, Torres, Reasoner, Laraque, Moreau, Stoll, Pisani

Valiquette goes to toronto unless he plays well enough to have another look. That would leave only two more guys to cut/trade after this game. I hope they get down to their roster and start developing chemistry immediately.

2 points in october are worth about the same as two points in march. You can't give games away by not having your A lineup ready and working together.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:12 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
there are probably 7-8 pretty easy cuts to make after this game. The guys who should be headed to the minors ( toronto, god I luv the sound of that, demoted to Toronto):

that leaves:

F: Smyth, Isbister, Hemsky, York, Horcoff, Dvorak, Chimera, Rita, Torres, Reasoner, Laraque, Moreau, Stoll, Pisani

Valiquette goes to toronto unless he plays well enough to have another look. That would leave only two more guys to cut/trade after this game. I hope they get down to their roster and start developing chemistry immediately.

2 points in october are worth about the same as two points in march. You can't give games away by not having your A lineup ready and working together.
The last few cuts will come down to contracts, So I beleive it will be Valiquette, Bergeron and maybe Stoll if Comrie signs. Looks pretty clear to me.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:14 PM
creative giant*

Thanks LMHF, I was searching for the names.

Quote:

that leaves:

I'd agree with those cuts, however I think Wright might stick around longer than any of us expect. We'll see how he does in his next exhibition game. From that list 1 d-man (probably between Luoma and Bergie) will be cut and 1 Forward. Tough choices.

Quote:
This is exactly it. Last year it seemed like training camp went on until November. I like that MacT is learning from last years slow start and cuttting the roster down early.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:15 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
The last few cuts will come down to contracts, So I beleive it will be Valiquette, Bergeron and maybe Stoll if Comrie signs. Looks pretty clear to me.
Maybe not so clear, I have already changed my mind. I would keep Wright around as the 14th forward and have Stoll play 1 line minutes in AHL.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:19 PM
Mr Sakich

stoll will be an oiler this year. He is one of lowe's guys and justifies the weight deal. He is a future captain because of his attitude and he may as well be up with the men.

IMO, a trade is immenent. COmrie will either be back and force lowe to trade one guy or comrie + is traded.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:25 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I don't think Stoll is staying. He hasn't stood out enough among the AHLers to justify it so far. We'll see how he does in the exhibition games, but I'd rather have him in T.O. to start.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:35 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Henley,Thompson, Hinz, Sarno, Hunter, Selmo will be the next group cut i can almost bet on it

Old
09-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Lowetide

There's still some battles to be fought. imo Sarno and Wright will battle for the 14th forward, Stoll, Rita and Torres are probably in the mix for jobs, and Allen and Luomo are likely pushing Ferguson and Bergeron respectively.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:34 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I don't think Stoll is staying. He hasn't stood out enough among the AHLers to justify it so far. We'll see how he does in the exhibition games, but I'd rather have him in T.O. to start.
And it continues. Stoll will never "stand out". He doesn't play with the flash and dash that others may. But he's easily good enough to make the squad this year. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he does get sent down to start the year. If he does though, it'll be merely for contract reasons (once again)...

Old
09-20-2003, 03:36 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
And it continues. Stoll will never "stand out". He doesn't play with the flash and dash that others may. But he's easily good enough to make the squad this year. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he does get sent down to start the year. If he does though, it'll be merely for contract reasons (once again)...
You don't get what I'm saying. His level of play, meaning, the quality in the way he does the little things compared to your typical AHLer WILL stand out next to them.

Old
09-20-2003, 09:02 PM
aspin

Cuts

I cannot believe that Hinz and Hunter lasted longer than Dicasmirro and Bishai..........and what about Henley........wow.

Closed Thread