HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How deep is the MLBPA in all of this?

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2005, 03:08 PM
ryz

vCash: 500
How deep is the MLBPA in all of this?

I have heard it suggested everywhere from on TSN to FAN960 here in Calgary to a certain un-named blogger suggesting that the Major League Baseball Players Association is heavily involoved in all this from the NHLPA side. If the NHLPA accepts a cap then MLB will be the last of the major sporting leagues in NA to not have a salary cap of some sort, just a joke of a luxury tax.

I think they have been in contact and MAY have something to do with the NHLPA's stupidity and stubborness in this matter. What do you all think?

Old
02-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Greschner4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz
I have heard it suggested everywhere from on TSN to FAN960 here in Calgary to a certain un-named blogger suggesting that the Major League Baseball Players Association is heavily involoved in all this from the NHLPA side. If the NHLPA accepts a cap then MLB will be the last of the major sporting leagues in NA to not have a salary cap of some sort, just a joke of a luxury tax.

I think they have been in contact and MAY have something to do with the NHLPA's stupidity and stubborness in this matter. What do you all think?
Very, very deep.

Goodenow has violated his fiduciary duty to his association by giving way too much consideration to the wishes of other sports' PAs.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:16 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greschner4
Very, very deep.

Goodenow has violated his fiduciary duty to his association by giving way too much consideration to the wishes of other sports' PAs.
Besides someone's blog, what are you basing this on?

02-14-2005, 03:18 PM
MissTeeks

Who doesn't love a good Conspiracy Theory!

Old
02-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Greschner4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
Besides someone's blog, what are you basing this on?
A bunch of news stories, common sense, and experience.

Plus the insanity of Goodenow's negotiating positions and strategy.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:20 PM
John Flyers Fan

I don't see the MLBPA having any effect at all. Just like I believe that the NBA/David Stern has nothing to do with this lockout.

If I'm wrong on either or both counts, they're even dumber that I think.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
bhawk24bob

let's just keep digging to find somebody else to blame this on rather than looking at the real problem- calgary, edmonton, nashville, hotlanta, etc. can't support an nhl franchise.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:25 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
A bunch of news stories, common sense, and experience.

Plus the insanity of Goodenow's negotiating positions and strategy.
Please post links to some of these new stories. Common sense and experience? Please elaborate. I really doubt the MLB players union cares about what happens in the NHL.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:29 PM
AH

It's no secret that Goodenow and Donald Fehr are very good friends. Eric Duhatchek said last week on the FAN590 that Goodenow relies heavily on Fehr for negotiation strategy and what not.

In other words, Fehr will never allow a capped system in the NHL. As absurd as that sounds, it probably has some truth to it. :lol

Old
02-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I don't see the MLBPA having any effect at all. Just like I believe that the NBA/David Stern has nothing to do with this lockout.

If I'm wrong on either or both counts, they're even dumber that I think.
Baseball players do not want to see the NHL succeed in getting a cap. This is why MLBPA head Donald Fehr has been in touch with NHL union chief Bob Goodenow and it is why, as some of the Penguins have confided, baseball players actually have penned letters to hockey players advising them to hang tough through the lockout. Fehr and the baseball players have no wish to be standing alone on an island.
-- Post-Gazette.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../truth.rumors/

Old
02-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk24bob
let's just keep digging to find somebody else to blame this on rather than looking at the real problem- calgary, edmonton, nashville, hotlanta, etc. can't support an nhl franchise.
Shouldn't Chicago be on that list as well? 27th in home attendance in 2003-04. 24th in 2002-03. 23rd in 2001-02, and 24th in 2000-01. Wirtz claims to be losing money on the team, so based on this criteria maybe Chicago should be moved to the head of that class?

No, maybe people should stop pointing fingers at other teams when it comes to contraction because every single team in the NHL has warts that don't look very pretty when put under the magnifying glass called scrutiny.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:43 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Baseball players do not want to see the NHL succeed in getting a cap. This is why MLBPA head Donald Fehr has been in touch with NHL union chief Bob Goodenow and it is why, as some of the Penguins have confided, baseball players actually have penned letters to hockey players advising them to hang tough through the lockout. Fehr and the baseball players have no wish to be standing alone on an island.
-- Post-Gazette.com

I would take that with a grain of salt, as it was from section called "Truths and Rumors."

Old
02-14-2005, 03:44 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
-- Post-Gazette.com

Baseball could never institute a cap because the Yankees would immediately be $100million over

Old
02-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
I would take that with a grain of salt, as it was from section called "Truths and Rumors."

grain of salt duly noted . . . though it certainly makes a lot of sense to me.

Another source saying the same . . .

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3280802

Old
02-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77
Baseball could never institute a cap because the Yankees would immediately be $100million over
You are low. Try closer to $130 million or $140 million if you are Capping salaries at what the average middle team has as their aggregate salary. Isn't that disgusting?

Old
02-14-2005, 03:52 PM
gobuds

Take this for what it is worth. I won't take it personally if you scream bs. Anyway, I am part of an organization called the sports lawyers association (its legit, google it) and get together with toronto members from time to time. BG is a member (as is Don Fehr, of MLBPA) and had lunch with a another member last week. That member told me he flew back to toronto from NY with BG about 10 days ago and they were chatting, and my friend told BG that he was recently negotiating a sponsorship deal with donlad fehr...BG apprently turned white- said something like- we don't know each other at all and never talk...then quickly changed subjects.

Again, take it for what its worth- remember- where there is some smoke there is some fire. Personally I believe that Fehr is deeply involved with this lockout...they are up next and don't want the nhlpa to cave- one rumor i heard was that the mlbpa is funding part of nhlpa lockout fund...not sure i believe it but....

Old
02-14-2005, 03:53 PM
bhawk24bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopeli
Shouldn't Chicago be on that list as well? 27th in home attendance in 2003-04. 24th in 2002-03. 23rd in 2001-02, and 24th in 2000-01. Wirtz claims to be losing money on the team, so based on this criteria maybe Chicago should be moved to the head of that class?

No, maybe people should stop pointing fingers at other teams when it comes to contraction because every single team in the NHL has warts that don't look very pretty when put under the magnifying glass called scrutiny.
anybody with half of a brain understands that the hawks arent losing any money. it's easy to make it look like you lose money when you dont include parking, sky boxes, and concessions (company owned by wirtz's kid, correct me if i'm wrong). i've got an idea, look at attendance over the last 40 years and tell me chicago has problems. hawk fans arent dumb, they're not going to go to a game like a cub fan would if the team is terrible.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:55 PM
HockyStr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz
If the NHLPA accepts a cap then MLB will be the last of the major sporting leagues in NA to not have a salary cap of some sort, just a joke of a luxury tax.
Well no NHL means that now the MLB is the last of the major sporting leagues in NA to not have a salary cap of some sort

Old
02-14-2005, 03:57 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
-- Post-Gazette.com

I'm sure that baseball players and the baseball union are rooting hard for the NHLPA to "win". I'm also sure that David Stern and the NBA owners are rooting hard for Bettman and the NHL owners.

Rooting/hoping .. and even speaking with them is one thing. Either Goodenown/NHLPA and/or Bettman/Owners being sinificantly influenced is a whole different matter.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Either Goodenown/NHLPA and/or Bettman/Owners being sinificantly influenced is a whole different matter.

Isn't that the implication of the articles?

Old
02-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Jobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuds
Take this for what it is worth. I won't take it personally if you scream bs. Anyway, I am part of an organization called the sports lawyers association (its legit, google it) and get together with toronto members from time to time. BG is a member (as is Don Fehr, of MLBPA) and had lunch with a another member last week. That member told me he flew back to toronto from NY with BG about 10 days ago and they were chatting, and my friend told BG that he was recently negotiating a sponsorship deal with donlad fehr...BG apprently turned white- said something like- we don't know each other at all and never talk...then quickly changed subjects.

Again, take it for what its worth- remember- where there is some smoke there is some fire. Personally I believe that Fehr is deeply involved with this lockout...they are up next and don't want the nhlpa to cave- one rumor i heard was that the mlbpa is funding part of nhlpa lockout fund...not sure i believe it but....
BS. Fehr and Goodenow are widely known to be close, so there is no reason for BG to lie about any relationship.

No doubt they have talked about this work stoppage (just as they spoke about the MLB threatened one), but at the end of the day, its Bob's constituents who demand more attention and action than Don Fehr.

Was Goodenow urging Fehr to resist a luxury tax/cap, and is Fehr doing the same now? Sure. But there isn't much more to it than that.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:15 PM
hulkrogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk24bob
anybody with half of a brain understands that the hawks arent losing any money. it's easy to make it look like you lose money when you dont include parking, sky boxes, and concessions (company owned by wirtz's kid, correct me if i'm wrong). i've got an idea, look at attendance over the last 40 years and tell me chicago has problems. hawk fans arent dumb, they're not going to go to a game like a cub fan would if the team is terrible.

You're as smart as a hockey player! .. Make sure you are the first in line for Kool-Aide

Old
02-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Greschner4

Quote:
I'm sure that baseball players and the baseball union are rooting hard for the NHLPA to "win". I'm also sure that David Stern and the NBA owners are rooting hard for Bettman and the NHL owners.

Rooting/hoping .. and even speaking with them is one thing. Either Goodenown/NHLPA and/or Bettman/Owners being sinificantly influenced is a whole different matter.
The NHL is like Spain in the 30s before WWII where proxy armies fought the battles on behalf of the big boys Hitler and Stalin.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
The NHL is like Spain in the 30s before WWII where proxy armies fought the battles on behalf of the big boys Hitler and Stalin.
Very good analogy . . . There are many parties not affiliated with hockey who are watching how this one turns out.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:21 PM
bhawk24bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan
You're as smart as a hockey player! .. Make sure you are the first in line for Kool-Aide
ok, keep blaming the nhlpa for the fact that one of your worthless canadian teams cant afford its payroll

Closed Thread