HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Flyers acquire another Dman if season is played?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2005, 12:07 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Will Flyers acquire another Dman if season is played?

Desjardin,Rags,Markov,kim, and Pitkannen will be top 5. Seidenberg 6. I myself am not to comfortable with that on the backend. Timmander is in Europe and I don't think that good anyway. Will Malakov be resigned? If not who else can be added?

Old
02-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Dr Love

Didn't they resign Timmander? Timmander/Seidenberg is a fine 6th dman platoon for a full season, so if this season is lost they'll likely just get one near deadline. For a short season yeah, I can certainly see Malahkov being brought back.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:13 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Didn't they resign Timmander? Timmander/Seidenberg is a fine 6th dman platoon for a full season, so if this season is lost they'll likely just get one near deadline. For a short season yeah, I can certainly see Malahkov being brought back.
I disagree, you need a better option for a 6th D. There is also no depth if they do go with those 2. Farm system does not have any ready available to step in asap.

Old
02-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
I disagree, you need a better option for a 6th D. There is also no depth if they do go with those 2. Farm system does not have any ready available to step in asap.
In a full season... if someone is hurt short term, they'll be fine. If someone goes down long term, they'll get someone. I wouldn't be surprized if they sign a 6/7 fringe guy and put him on the Phantoms for some depth. Timmander played very well last year, and although I don't expect him to repeat that I can't see him being as bad as Therien was. Seidenberg is a fine 6th dman.

Old
02-12-2005, 01:45 PM
blah

Timmander won't be available to the Flyers until next season.

Old
02-12-2005, 03:59 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

There wont be a season, so dont worry

Old
02-12-2005, 04:16 PM
MojoJojo

Seidenberg is not such a bad option. He has been neck and neck with Pitkanen as the Phantoms best D man this year. His game has really matured since his stint with the Flyers two seasons ago. He's bulked up, plays smarter, and has the speed grit, and hands to be more than just a sixth-seventh D man. Right now I can see him being a second pair offensive defenseman, manning the point on the PP.

I dont think we will see any more free agent acquisitions anyway. We already are going to have a hard time fitting under any sort of salary cap once things get going again.

Old
02-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Seidenberg is not such a bad option. He has been neck and neck with Pitkanen as the Phantoms best D man this year. His game has really matured since his stint with the Flyers two seasons ago. He's bulked up, plays smarter, and has the speed grit, and hands to be more than just a sixth-seventh D man. Right now I can see him being a second pair offensive defenseman, manning the point on the PP.

I dont think we will see any more free agent acquisitions anyway. We already are going to have a hard time fitting under any sort of salary cap once things get going again.
i really want seids to get the chance. he was fine for a rookie his first year up, felt bad for him last year. he's never going to be your shutdown dman, not big enough, but the guy has a GREAT shot from the point and has zero fear to launch the thing... something we need on the PP.

let him play the 6th role and i have zero problem with it. if someone gets hurt the guys on the phantoms have been playing pretty well when healthy, i'm sure one of them can fill in short term... and as another poster said, not a problem in clarkie's world to go get one if necessary.

KJ - Markov
Pitkanen - Rags
Rico - Seids

you telling me you are really going to be concerned with that 6? that's a solid rotation right there in my book. KJ is turning into an absolute stud, Pitkanen has been excellent for the phantoms -- looks like he's starting to adjust defensively -- Rags and Rico are solid defensively -- Rico still has some juice offensively compared to the average guy -- and Seids can complement Rico nicely, plus give us a nice boost on the PP with the shot.

the more interesting area of this team is going to be at forward and what Clarkie does with those guys. will Amonte/Leclair get bought-out in a shortened season? will he go get someone... can we go get someone? if they really are operating under a hybrid, we will have some flexibility financially that we wouldn't have under a cap.

Old
02-13-2005, 01:58 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
i really want seids to get the chance. he was fine for a rookie his first year up, felt bad for him last year. he's never going to be your shutdown dman, not big enough, but the guy has a GREAT shot from the point and has zero fear to launch the thing... something we need on the PP.

let him play the 6th role and i have zero problem with it. if someone gets hurt the guys on the phantoms have been playing pretty well when healthy, i'm sure one of them can fill in short term... and as another poster said, not a problem in clarkie's world to go get one if necessary.

KJ - Markov
Pitkanen - Rags
Rico - Seids

you telling me you are really going to be concerned with that 6? that's a solid rotation right there in my book. KJ is turning into an absolute stud, Pitkanen has been excellent for the phantoms -- looks like he's starting to adjust defensively -- Rags and Rico are solid defensively -- Rico still has some juice offensively compared to the average guy -- and Seids can complement Rico nicely, plus give us a nice boost on the PP with the shot.

the more interesting area of this team is going to be at forward and what Clarkie does with those guys. will Amonte/Leclair get bought-out in a shortened season? will he go get someone... can we go get someone? if they really are operating under a hybrid, we will have some flexibility financially that we wouldn't have under a cap.
If there is a shortened season I would not buy them out this year. With a short amount of games they can be effective for the short term. I still wouldn't buy Amonte out as he makes 5 mil and would cost 3.3 to buy out, is still not a bad player. The bigger priority is they need to sign their draft choices and players in college that are seniors.

Old
02-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
If there is a shortened season I would not buy them out this year. With a short amount of games they can be effective for the short term. I still wouldn't buy Amonte out as he makes 5 mil and would cost 3.3 to buy out, is still not a bad player. The bigger priority is they need to sign their draft choices and players in college that are seniors.
well... Clarkie's said that if possible Carter WILL play for the flyers in a shortened season... so he'll get signed the day after they sign the CBA is my guess, i wouldn't be shocked if some contractual framework hasn't already been gone over with his agent during this downtime.

what happens with Richards/Ruzicka will be interesting, my guess is that at this point we are looking at them coming in next year... but until we come to that road, it hard to say obviously.

in any event, hopefully they pull the deal out of the hat at the last minute -- it really wasn't going to happen any other way and bettman was a moron for not setting a deadline earlier -- and we get to see a Gagne - Roenick - Carter line coming to center ice on March 1st. THAT would be excellent. already got a Gagne jersey, fair chance my next one will be a Carter...

Old
02-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Rolex

Malakhov is still out there as a possible d-man. Clarke wanted to sign him before all of the lockout nonsense began. He was outstanding in the playoffs last year.

Old
02-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex
Malakhov is still out there as a possible d-man. Clarke wanted to sign him before all of the lockout nonsense began. He was outstanding in the playoffs last year.
yeah, he's the one guy that i think we might sign. however, as i noted above i think it is time for Seids to get a real chance to play for this team... i think the one reason that Clarkie may go for Malakhov is the fact that we are REAL close to going all the way and a veteran like Malakhov isn't a bad thing to have on the squad.

both Zhamnov and Malakhov will be interesting decisions if Clarkie has to make them. the emergence of Carter over the past year as a real option for this team at forward has definitely hurt the chances of Zhamnov being back in my opinion.

Old
02-13-2005, 05:39 PM
mercury

I think we need another d-man if Malakhov is not resigned. A big, crease-clearer to compliment our good offensive/positional corps of defensemen we have now.

Old
02-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
I think we need another d-man if Malakhov is not resigned. A big, crease-clearer to compliment our good offensive/positional corps of defensemen we have now.
I'm telling you, Mattias Norstrom or Aaron Miller.

Old
02-13-2005, 10:33 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I'm telling you, Mattias Norstrom or Aaron Miller.

dont they have fat contracts?

Old
02-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
They do indeed, they make more than Ragnarsson and he's probably the highest paid of the bunch. I'd imagine they would sign Malakov and just make a mad dash for the Cup. No need to pick up more salary if the season is only what? 28 games??

Old
02-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
dont they have fat contracts?
Both of them are front loaded contracts and go down each year.

Closed Thread