HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Wolves making moves

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2005, 12:08 PM
strib

vCash: 500
Wolves making moves

Rampage rent out Bouwmeester, Weiss

Both Panthers rookies will receive some valuable seasoning playing in the postseason for Chicago.

Sportsnet.ca -- The American Hockey League is home to the day's most intriguing hockey stories as a pair of young NHLers have been moved from their affiliate team.

Sportsnet has learned the Chicago Wolves and San Antonio Rampage have agreed to a loan arrangement that will see highly coveted defenceman Jay Bouwmeester and skilled centre Stephen Weiss leave the Rampage to join the Wolves run for the Calder Cup.

"Getting two top, top, prospect players is something our organziation is very excited about," says Chicago GM Kevin Cheveldaeoff. "We have a strong corps of veterans, but we needed to add a strong push of good young talent to compete to the end with the elite teams."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...08_091609_6200

Last edited by ratsgirl: 03-08-2005 at 12:16 PM. Reason: copyright
Old
03-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Jacob

I wondered if moves like this would happen. I can't say that I like it.

Old
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Crossbar

I think this was the right move for the Panthers organization to do, they are playing like crap under Ludzik and I'm sure they don't want to waste more money firing and hiring another coach during the lockout, so sending Weiss and Bouw to a playoff team will be a good learning experience for them.

Old
03-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Jacob

But in the case of Bouwmeester, he's played half-assed all season. What does he get for it? An invitation to the all-star game AND a loan to a team expected to make a lengthy playoff run.

Old
03-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Crossbar

Hehe yeah hes definitely been pampered this season.

Another thing is since the Rampage think they won't make the playoffs this season, they probably want to get the team organized and ready for next season....and that means getting used to not having Weiss and Bouwmeester in the lineup, because once the NHL Lockout ends they will be back with the Panthers for sure.

Old
03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Fleuryfan29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I wondered if moves like this would happen. I can't say that I like it.
I don't like it either Jacobv2, but from what I hear Dave Andrews (AHL President) can't do anything about it. What Iam wondering is how many more moves are yet to come like this?
With San Antonio out of the playoff picture they still have a player like Nathon Horton to give up, Iam wondering if Milliwakee (sp?) will be interested in him, and mabey some of the other playoff contenders will go after payers like Alexander Svitov (Syracuse), Zach Parise (Albany), Nathan Horton (San Antonio) or even Patrice Bergeron (Providence).

Old
03-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Crossbar

Well if San Antonio decides to loan anyone else you can be assured that it won't be Nathan Horton, he opted to take season ending surgery a month or so ago, so that he could rehab in the summer and be ready for the NHL season if the CBA is resolved by then.

Old
03-08-2005, 02:04 PM
bruins4777*

WOW!

I really hope this lights a fire under bouwmeester's ass.

I think the playoffs will give him something to prove...or at least i hope it will. He has the potential to be the best player in the league, so i hope he uses it and proves the nay-sayers wrong. Man, vigier and weiss together, then bouwmeester in the back in front of lehtonen? Thats two high quality NHL players and one high quality prospect.

I wonder how much icetime bouwmeester will get...

Old
03-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryfan29
I don't like it either Jacobv2, but from what I hear Dave Andrews (AHL President) can't do anything about it. What Iam wondering is how many more moves are yet to come like this?
Whoever does, I don't think the baby Penguins will take any players on loan. I think it would go against their "family" atmosphere.

Old
03-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Zoo

Yes... I can't see the penguins getting anyone. We like to develop within our own organization

Well they better not, or I'd look like an Arine

Old
03-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Zoo

If anything...

Welch and a few other pens prospects could be brought in.

Old
03-08-2005, 03:02 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I hope the Thrashers prospects beat them up in practice

Old
03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Pulfy14

why would San Antonio do this when they are batleing for the last playoff spot in there divison?

Old
03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Jacob

They aren't big fans of trying.

Old
03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
why would San Antonio do this when they are batleing for the last playoff spot in there divison?
Maybe because they aren't? 11 points back with 15 games to play. Plus the teams ahead of them all have games in hand.

Old
03-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Thornton97

six games in hand to be specific

Old
03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Joe Canadian

This is a complete joke... I can't wait till the Leafs get the hell out of town. Bring on The Q...

Old
03-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
It really isn't that much different than an NHL team loading up on expiring contracts for a playoff run, giving draft picks as token compensation.

Old
03-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo
If anything...

Welch and a few other pens prospects could be brought in.
Pretty difficult to strength an already strong roster. Welch would be a good addition a la Whitney from last season but we've got Chiodo in the ECHL, guys like Eaves as a healthy scratch. An embarrassment of riches really..

Old
03-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops
Pretty difficult to strength an already strong roster. Welch would be a good addition a la Whitney from last season but we've got Chiodo in the ECHL, guys like Eaves as a healthy scratch. An embarrassment of riches really..
I agree... great problem to have.

Old
03-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Joe Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
It really isn't that much different than an NHL team loading up on expiring contracts for a playoff run, giving draft picks as token compensation.
Maybe I'm missing the part where this was a trade between two AHL teams... seems to me it's one team giving talent to another for free. Token or not draft picks in the NHL are tangible assets... so to me they are compeltly different.

Old
03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Maybe I'm missing the part where this was a trade between two AHL teams... seems to me it's one team giving talent to another for free. Token or not draft picks in the NHL are tangible assets... so to me they are compeltly different.
I agree. This loaning of players is an awful idea and shouldn't be done. I don't think it's very ethical either. Teams can barely make the playoffs, get loaned a great team, and win the Calder Cup based upon a mercenary team. That's not right.

Old
03-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
The compensation isn't the same, that's for sure. There is, however, compensation... otherwise the organizations wouldn't do it. Florida has a chance to have two of its youngsters get some playoff seasoning.

That isn't what I intended to liken, though. I intended to liken teams bringing in what is little more than mercenary talent; there for the playoffs, then gone forever.

Old
03-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
I'm not worried if I'm Rochester, Manchester, or Chester the Molester. The teams at the top have excellent chemistry, something that you can't go out and acquire.

Old
03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I'm not worried if I'm Rochester, Manchester, or Chester the Molester. The teams at the top have excellent chemistry, something that you can't go out and acquire.
I don't know. I'm thinking the Amerks need to get 1 guy that can put the puck in that net. Won't hurt chemistry at all. They need some depth anyway, might as well get someone who will contribute offensively.

Closed Thread