HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

No NCAA regional coverage in New York

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2005, 10:19 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
No NCAA regional coverage in New York

Unfortunately,it does not look like MSG,FSNY or YES will be picking the ESPN syndication of the NCAA regional games this weekend.The games will be on ESPNU which is only available on DIRECTV and Adelphia cable.However,the regional sports networks have the option of picking up ESPN's coverage.I contacted MSG Network and they have no plans to show any college hockey games this weekend.Last year YES did pick some of the hockey regional TV coverage when it was NCAA Productions.YES has nothing scheduled.Many of the other regional sports networks will be picking up the coverage of the regionals.Not New York

msgnetpr@msgnetwork.com

info@yesnetwork.com

YES is showing the Yankees-Red Sox July 1 game for about the 2000th time this winter

Forget about Michigan-Wisconsin on Friday night because MSG has a Knicks game at 10:30 and FSNY has a Mets pre-season game at 7

YES has another Yankeeography

Old
03-21-2005, 10:52 PM
FLYLine24*

Thankfully I have DirecTV...and ive decided to order one of the channels on friday so im able to see the U-M vs WISC. game. But I will still write a letter to those networks..its a joke..theres almost no hockey this season and they cant afford to show a few big college games? Some sports networks.

Old
03-21-2005, 11:46 PM
NYR2

Wow, I'm PISSED. That's bs.

Old
03-22-2005, 06:41 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Thankfully I have DirecTV...and ive decided to order one of the channels on friday so im able to see the U-M vs WISC. game. But I will still write a letter to those networks..its a joke..theres almost no hockey this season and they cant afford to show a few big college games? Some sports networks.
I have DIRECTV but I will not be home on Friday night.The sports pack should have some of the games from the regional sports networks picking up the ESPN syndication.You can add and drop the sports pack as many times as you want

Time Warner digital cable has a sports pack of regional sports networks but no MSG and FSNY

Old
03-22-2005, 06:49 AM
in the hall

They probably make nothing broadcasting these games. They aren't hear to please the fraction of hockey fans only their wallets.

Old
03-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Pearl Necklace

This is the same story in New England. ESPNU is not carried by Charter or Dish yet. NESN and Fox Sports NE will not be showing any games. Well, atleast NESN gave us the Hockey East semis and finals in HD last weekend.

Go yourselves ESPN. I appreciate your support of hockey.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 03-22-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old
03-22-2005, 08:45 AM
in the hall

lol.. as if ESPN would even dare to televise ncaa hockey over march madness

Old
03-22-2005, 08:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
lol.. as if ESPN would even dare to televise ncaa hockey over march madness
And why should they? You said it yourself, they're here to make money. If the NHL's ratings are worse than bowling, softball and billiards (certainly worse than the World Series of Poker) why would a network choose to televise college hockey over college basketball (even women's basketball)?

Old
03-22-2005, 09:21 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It's not ESPN's fault.ESPN did not broadcast regional NCAA hockey games.ESPN did not pick up the coverage until the frozen four.I watch the regionals on DIRECTV on the regional sports networks.They were NCAA productions.ESPNU is now taking over the production.Unfortunately,ESPNU is only available in 3 million homes.
MSG/FSNY or YES are to blame in the NY area.Especially MSG/FSNY.If you go to the Rangers website,they have every Ranger prospect playing in NCAA hockey tournament listed on their frontpage with the brackets.They are busy promoting these players all season long but their very own networks do not pick up the games.In the past,MSG/FSNY and YES did pick up the NCAA hockey coverage

Old
03-22-2005, 09:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
It's not ESPN's fault.ESPN did not broadcast regional NCAA hockey games.ESPN did not pick up the coverage until the frozen four.I watch the regionals on DIRECTV on the regional sports networks.They were NCAA productions.ESPNU is now taking over the production.Unfortunately,ESPNU is only available in 3 million homes.
MSG/FSNY or YES are to blame in the NY area.Especially MSG/FSNY.If you go to the Rangers website,they have every Ranger prospect playing in NCAA hockey tournament listed on their frontpage with the brackets.They are busy promoting these players all season long but their very own networks do not pick up the games.In the past,MSG/FSNY and YES did pick up the NCAA hockey coverage
Again, it's a question of ratings.

Old
03-22-2005, 10:36 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
And why should they? You said it yourself, they're here to make money. If the NHL's ratings are worse than bowling, softball and billiards (certainly worse than the World Series of Poker) why would a network choose to televise college hockey over college basketball (even women's basketball)?
?? I basically implied the same thing

Old
03-22-2005, 11:34 AM
DisplacedIslander
Back Up The Trucks

Send a message via MSN to DisplacedIslander
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Unfortunately,it does not look like MSG,FSNY or YES will be picking the ESPN syndication of the NCAA regional games this weekend.The games will be on ESPNU which is only available on DIRECTV and Adelphia cable.However,the regional sports networks have the option of picking up ESPN's coverage.I contacted MSG Network and they have no plans to show any college hockey games this weekend.Last year YES did pick some of the hockey regional TV coverage when it was NCAA Productions.YES has nothing scheduled.Many of the other regional sports networks will be picking up the coverage of the regionals.Not New York

msgnetpr@msgnetwork.com

info@yesnetwork.com

YES is showing the Yankees-Red Sox July 1 game for about the 2000th time this winter

Forget about Michigan-Wisconsin on Friday night because MSG has a Knicks game at 10:30 and FSNY has a Mets pre-season game at 7

YES has another Yankeeography
As is always the case with the metro NY market, it's a question of ratings. Apparantly, Knicks basketball, and Yankees/Mets preseason action is a bigger ratings draw than hockey in any form this year. Not surprising with the lockout in full swing and no network picking up any coverage at all of AHL games.

The powers that be must feel that because there are no major college hockey programs in the major metropolitan area, it wouldn't be a good ratings draw. I don't know what the numbers were for FSNY's coverage of the Big Six or the Final Five tournament games, but more than likely they are less than any coverage of baseball or basketball in the NY area.

Old
03-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
So which tv broadcasting offers the most hockey. Is satellite better than cable?

Old
03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Well here's some food for thought (and you might want to check your satellite [for those w/o Direct TV] or digital cable systems)...

FSN North, the FOX affiliate that carries the Minnesota Golden Gophers and sometimes Wisconsin Badgers games will be carrying some of the NCAA Tourney games (see header of the "NCAA Tourney Matchups" thread over on the College Hockey Boards). I know (because I have it) that Comcast Digital Cable does get FSN North games via one of the FSC (FOX College Sports) channels (there are 3 of them). If you all can get FSN North or FSC on your systems, then you'll be able to catch some of these games on the tube.

Also, if any of you are anywhere's near Ithaca or Hamilton, I think Time Warner is carrying the games involving Cornell and Colgate locally as well.

Old
03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
FSNY is playing Cornell and Harvard tonight at 12 am

Old
03-23-2005, 08:20 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Here is the complete schedule with each feed