HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

tsn reports: cap on the table from both sides

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2005, 03:22 AM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
tsn reports: cap on the table from both sides

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...25&hubName=nhl
12 million apart - i cant see how this cant be solved now. the only way these sides could have done it from the beginning, a cap with no linkage - plus the rollback. 2/3 rds of the league under 40 mill. owners want 40 mill players 52.

Old
02-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...25&hubName=nhl
12 million apart - i cant see how this cant be solved now. the only way these sides could have done it from the beginning, a cap with no linkage - plus the rollback. 2/3 rds of the league under 40 mill. owners want 40 mill players 52.
This is easily the biggest piece of news since the lockout started. Basically, they're twelve million dollars apart. I can't see why either team can't concede six million (though if I were the owners, I'd concede eight, and use that as leverage on other issues).

When the lockout began, I was prepared for and expecting no hockey this year. And for the first time, I have hope that I was wrong. This is huge news.

Old
02-15-2005, 03:30 AM
bleedgreen

for the first time, im really going to be pissed if it doesnt work out. i had really accepted it would happen...to see it come this close and not happen - ill go postal. its a system that makes sense though. i suspect this is what the league wanted the whole time. they had to ask for more to get what they really wanted. people were saying that from day 1, and it was true.

ps i didnt realize the cp thread was essentially the same- my bad. merge/close at will.

Old
02-15-2005, 03:32 AM
Pepper

Deal is very near now, all the philosophical differences have been solved and it's only a numbers game now. Split the difference at $46M and it's a deal.

Extremely good news indeed.

Old
02-15-2005, 03:40 AM
bleedgreen

i see the major sticking point now being that the pa wants a team by team cap, i assume somehow oriented around the big market teams being allowed to spend more. im sure the league wants to minimize that as much as possible. hate to see this all hinge on that. i bet thats why they are still in disagreement when so close.

Old
02-15-2005, 03:43 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I can't sleep now !!!! too exited !!!

let's get a deal now !

Old
02-15-2005, 04:37 AM
coyotechrisz

Send a message via ICQ to coyotechrisz
What do you think... if a Deal is reached on Wednesday.. when could the Season start?

I thought the arena's are booked 45 days ahead?

Old
02-15-2005, 04:41 AM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotechrisz
What do you think... if a Deal is reached on Wednesday.. when could the Season start?

I thought the arena's are booked 45 days ahead?
I see training camp starting Monday and the season starting on March 1st. There were reports that the NHL already had the 28 game schedule completed and ready to go just in case. Perhaps bookings were made just in case as well?

Old
02-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Pepper

Arena bookings fly out of the window if they get a deal done, it's just a pressuring tool by the owners.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:25 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
If this doesn't get done, Bettman and Goodenow need to get shot. Well Goodenow won't, but Bettman is the one who is turning down salary caps. $46-47 million was something I expected to happen.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
If this doesn't get done, Bettman and Goodenow need to get shot. Well Goodenow won't, but Bettman is the one who is turning down salary caps. $46-47 million was something I expected to happen.
Bettman shouldn't be shot. I wouldn't accept 46 million if I were him. 42 or nothing.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:30 AM
caps

pppppppppplllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeee eaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeee work something out nhl and nhlpa. you two groups of a$$es are so close right now, don't blow it

Old
02-15-2005, 05:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Bettman shouldn't be shot. I wouldn't accept 46 million if I were him. 42 or nothing.

Yes he should. In fact, he should already be shot because he is a horrible commishioner, even before this lockout. If he wasn't such an ass we would have never been in this mess in the first place. If there is no season now, it's his fault and his alone. The PA just offered a salary cap which is something they would NEVER do.

I wonder what Bryan McCabe is thinking right now. He said he would never play under a salary cap. I hope he retires in shame.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:33 AM
chiavsfan

The PA was too late with this proposal...this high cap number is not Bettman's fault. Bad Commish? Sure...but to say it is his fault if he turns down a proposal that should have come 2 months ago is rediculous.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:36 AM
mudcrutch79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan
The PA was too late with this proposal...this high cap number is not Bettman's fault. Bad Commish? Sure...but to say it is his fault if he turns down a proposal that should have come 2 months ago is rediculous.
Why didn't he drop linkage two months ago? Linkage was dropped, and all of the sudden the PA was willing to talk cap? Maybe if the NHL had dropped it two months ago, we'd be watching hockey by now.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:37 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
$46m hard cap
$1 for $1ish sliding scale starting around $36m
Loss of picks starting around $40m

I think it could work for just about everyone.

luxury tax money for weaker clubs
extra spending space for the richer/successful clubs

The pick penalty counter balances payroll advantage.

No linkage keeps the players happy.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:39 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
Why didn't he drop linkage two months ago? Linkage was dropped, and all of the sudden the PA was willing to talk cap? Maybe if the NHL had dropped it two months ago, we'd be watching hockey by now.
The NHLPA flatly refused to talk cap, linkage or no linkage. If the NHLPA had accepted a cap as a legitimate outcome four months ago they could have had this discussion then.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:41 AM
mudcrutch79

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
The NHLPA flatly refused to talk cap, linkage or no linkage. If the NHLPA had accepted a cap as a legitimate outcome four months ago they could have had this discussion then.
The NHLPA didn't make their offer of cap until after the NHL offered to drop linkage. Obviously, there's a lot we don't know, but from everything in the public, you can't say that the NHLPA offered to talk cap first-all indications are the other way.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:44 AM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
The NHLPA didn't make their offer of cap until after the NHL offered to drop linkage. Obviously, there's a lot we don't know, but from everything in the public, you can't say that the NHLPA offered to talk cap first-all indications are the other way.
Does it really matter who said what first?

Remember this?

"The bottom line is, if they want a hard (salary) cap, we'll sit out for the rest of our lives," Toronto Maple Leafs union rep Bryan McCabe tells the Toronto Star. "If they're not going to budge off of that, there's really nowhere to go."

:lol

Old
02-15-2005, 05:47 AM
Robert Paulson*

Even though to me $46 million ceiling seems a bit high (this coming from a Pens fan so you see where I'm coming from lol), I'll take anything at this point, yeehaw!

Old
02-15-2005, 05:49 AM
Ola

Quote:
Great spirit from the fans on this board, you are willing to kill the game of hockey just so that you fav team can be competetive despite the worst manegement in hockey... Unbeliveable. Great love for the game some "canadians" shows, if it isn´t on their terms lets kill the game.

The NHLPA´s offer would work extremly well for all parties, its a tremendous step from their part. 24% rollbackm 52 million cap, strict taxes before that level and on and on. They have pretty much given up everything they fought over and Bettman turned it down. There is no way there is gooing to be a season now.

How you can support Bettman after all he has done for the game the last 13 years is a mystery to me...

No wonder Bettman gets a standing ovation everytime he sets his foot in Canada!

Old
02-15-2005, 05:52 AM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Great spirit from the fans on this board, you are willing to kill the game of hockey just so that you fav team can be competetive despite the worst manegement in hockey... Unbeliveable.

The NHLPA´s offer would work extremly well for all parties, its a tremendous step from their part. 24% rollbackm 52 million cap, strict taxes before that level and on and on. They have pretty much given up everything they fought over and Bettman turned it down.

How you can support Bettman after all he has done for the game the last 13 years is a mystery to me...
I'm sorry, but these are negotiations. The NHLPA has offered their FIRST offer with a salary cap. It would be stupid for the NHL to jump at this and accept it. This is where the real negotiations will start.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:52 AM
arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Deal is very near now, all the philosophical differences have been solved and it's only a numbers game now. Split the difference at $46M and it's a deal.

Extremely good news indeed.
That's ridiculous. The average team payroll last year was less than $46 million. A cap that high, by itself, accomplishes nothing.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:57 AM
arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Great spirit from the fans on this board, you are willing to kill the game of hockey just so that you fav team can be competetive despite the worst manegement in hockey... Unbeliveable. Great love for the game some "canadians" shows, if it isn´t on their terms lets kill the game.

The NHLPA´s offer would work extremly well for all parties, its a tremendous step from their part. 24% rollbackm 52 million cap, strict taxes before that level and on and on. They have pretty much given up everything they fought over and Bettman turned it down. There is no way there is gooing to be a season now.

No wonder Bettman gets a standing ovation everytime he sets his foot in Canada!
Exactly how does the NHLPA offer do anything? The $52 milion is far higher than any team's payroll would be without a cap affter the 24% payroll drop. In other words, it is a thinly disguised version of the the NHLPA's previous offer just like the trigger offer was a thinly disguised version of the NHL's original offer.

The NHLPA knows that revernues are going down, so they put up a salary cap that will never affect anyone. It's completely bogus.

Old
02-15-2005, 05:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If this thing doesn't get done and a season does not begin by March 1,I am going to throw my computer out of the window.As a fan of a big market team,a mid $40's hard cap with either a luxury tax or revenue sharing in more than agreeable.Just get it done already

Closed Thread