HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Possible Black Friday walkout at Walmart

Old
11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

vCash: 500
Possible Black Friday walkout at Walmart

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/wal-...down-1C7154887

Background: Walmart employees are not unionized, and the company has never allowed its workers to unionize.

There have been some meager attempts at unionization or labor action, but this appears to be the most widespread organization in the company's history. Workers are upset about low wages, but the proverbial straw that may break the camel's back is Walmart's decision (along with numerous other retailers) to open stores on Thanksgiving night, which necessitates that employees come in to work around 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. This is not an optional shift - employees have been told that they need to report to work on this day, or they will be let go.

To review some information about Walmart:
-The six richest Waltons control more wealth than the poorest 100 million Americans.
-Walmart's company policy generally mandates raises of 20 to 40 cents per year for standard low-level employees (people stocking shelves, collecting carts, assisting customers, working cash registers). Many of these people start at $8-10 per hour, so these wage increases result in full-time employees remaining below the poverty level for many years.
-Walmart has been shown to come into communities offering lower wages than the local wage standard, and the overall impact is to depress the overall local wage scale.
-The average retail employee earns $21,000 per year. The average retail cashier earns $18,500 per year.
-A wage floor of $25,000 per year at large retail chains (minimum 1,000 employees) would result in a 27% raise for retail employees. (http://www.demos.org/publication/ret...and-overall-ec) This would impact an estimated 5 million Americans. More than 700,000 people would be lifted out of poverty, and another 750,000 would leave the "near poverty" classification. It is estimated that the added demand from increasing the income of these low-income workers would add at least 100,000 new jobs and nearly $5 billion in retail sales. Additionally, the resulting rise in prices would be relatively small.
-Walmart's low wages result in roughly $5 billion in federal spending due to food stamps, welfare for the working poor, health care, and free/reduced price lunches for children of Walmart employees. This does not include the considerable amount of tax incmoe that the government does not receive due to exemptions and payroll tax deductions for very low income earners.

My attitude: Walmart sucks, but Americans bear a significant level of culpability in this whole thing. If people would stop camping out or turning up at stores as early as possible to save some money on Christmas presents, the stores wouldn't open on Thanksgiving night. Stay home, shop online, whatever - stop screwing low-wage employees out of family time on one of the most important holidays of the year.

There should be government-mandated shift penalties for workers forced to work on public holidays and weekends. Here in Australia, I get time and a half on Saturdays, double pay on Sundays, 250% pay on public holidays. While I don't know if the U.S. measures should go that far, Walmart would probably think twice about opening on Thanksgiving night if they had to pay their employees $25/hour. At the very least, if they still elected to open, the employees would be nicely rewarded for their troubles.

Augmenting the income of Walmart employees through welfare payments, or reducing their expenditures through tax deductions, food stamps and free lunches, is essentially corporate welfare. The minimum wage should be raised such that all full-time employees earn a living wage.

Bottom line: Workers of the World Unite!

Ilkka Sinisalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Sirquacksalot
ˇViva Los Patos!

I fully support this walkout. I've been to one Black Friday opening and it was easily one of the least enjoyable experiences of my life. I can't imagine how bad it would be working one, especially if you have to be at work at 3 pm on Thanksgiving. My sister is working (at a different store) and has to be at work at 8 pm on Thanksgiving. Since I live hundreds of miles away I barely get to see my family as it is, now she is missing Thanksgiving (she also lives quite far away from our parents) so she can sleep all morning and afternoon before starting an eight hour shift with thousands of irritated customers clamoring for gifts.

It sucks.

Sirquacksalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

Good for them. Walmart is a scourge on small businesses everywhere. Notice how republicans champion small buisnesses, but never speak up on the damage corporations like Walmart do?

Fact is politicians have been stacking the deck against the common worker for years; it's events like these that instill a morsel of faith in me that there is something still worth fighting for in this country economically.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

And Black Friday itself should be an entire separate thread in my estimation. It's an abomination and represents consumerism at its level worst.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
There should be government-mandated shift penalties for workers forced to work on public holidays and weekends. Here in Australia, I get time and a half on Saturdays, double pay on Sundays, 250% pay on public holidays. While I don't know if the U.S. measures should go that far, Walmart would probably think twice about opening on Thanksgiving night if they had to pay their employees $25/hour. At the very least, if they still elected to open, the employees would be nicely rewarded for their troubles.
Is this throughout the US? In Canada labour law is the jurisdiction of the federal and provincal governments (but mostly a provincal matter). If I work a public holiday in British Columbia (which I don't), I get time and a half plus another day off with pay. How does this go in the US?

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Is this throughout the US? In Canada labour law is the jurisdiction of the federal and provincal governments (but mostly a provincal matter). If I work a public holiday in British Columbia (which I don't), I get time and a half plus another day off with pay. How does this go in the US?
No such rule(s) that I am aware of, although I work in an industry where no such rule would be necessary.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Their prices aren't even that good.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
The last company I worked for in the U.S. paid nothing extra for weekends and time and a half on public holidays. I don't believe there is any mandate, nationwide or even statewide (that I'm aware of, anyway), that employees have to be paid extra for working weekends or public holidays.

That is another benefit provided by my employer (Australian government) - I get an extra week of paid leave each year for being a shift worker and working weekends/public holidays. 4 weeks paid leave per year is the minimum; I get 5.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

Quote:
The last company I worked for in the U.S. paid nothing extra for weekends and time and a half on public holidays. I don't believe there is any mandate, nationwide or even statewide (that I'm aware of, anyway), that employees have to be paid extra for working weekends or public holidays.

That is another benefit provided by my employer (Australian government) - I get an extra week of paid leave each year for being a shift worker and working weekends/public holidays. 4 weeks paid leave per year is the minimum; I get 5.
Could you imagine the absolute outrage and handwringing from all of the puppets and mouthpieces of the lobbyists (i.e. the politicians) if they tried to institute such regulations? I imagine they would claim it to be the end of business as we know it and the start of a death spiral into oblivion.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:03 PM
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage

They should find new jobs if they don't want to work holidays. It's no secret Walmart is open during these times. People know that when they apply. It's not complicated.

TesseracT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TesseracT View Post
They should find new jobs if they don't want to work holidays. It's no secret Walmart is open during these times. People know that when they apply. It's not complicated.
I think you are missing the bigger picture.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:08 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Quote:
Or they could strike.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:09 PM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:
In some areas of rural America Walmart might be the only place hiring.

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:10 PM
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I think you are missing the bigger picture.
There is no bigger picture. If you don't want a crappy wage and work holidays, don't apply to Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
Or they could strike.
And hopefully be replaced by someone who is currently unemployed.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

There is certainly a bigger picture. If you can't see it you are willfully ignoring it.

I mean did you even read the OP?

Old
11-20-2012, 09:24 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
The company I work for pays the union employees who are forced to work either double time and half or regular pay plus get extra vacation day.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
I have no problem with the walkout as long as they are not in violation of contract, and that no worker is forced to take part in the walkout.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:33 PM
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage

Quote:
There is certainly a bigger picture. If you can't see it you are willfully ignoring it.

I mean did you even read the OP?
Indeed I did read it. If you're talking about the demos.org link - it was an interesting read but that's about it. These companies aren't going to increase wages from the goodness of their hearts. Government intervention would only lead to them hiring less. Passing the increase in wages onto consumers is not an option in the eyes of these large retailers.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Government intervention would only lead to them hiring less.
Or to the uber-wealthy upper management and corporate ownership will just not be pocketing monstrous profits. The profit for just the third quarter of 2012 was $3.63 billion. Not revenue - profit. That is a lot of money.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Or to the uber-wealthy upper management and corporate ownership will just not be pocketing monstrous profits. The profit for just the third quarter of 2012 was $3.63 billion. Not revenue - profit. That is a lot of money.
Class warfare!

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

And that's not even the end of the story. A lot of the profit lost from paying higher wages to the grunts would be made up by increased demand since the grunts now have more money in their pockets, which they're inevitably going to reinvest at stores that cater to shoppers on a tight budget (i.e., people who work at Walmart).

Old
11-20-2012, 09:55 PM
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage

Quote:
That would be nice. Unfortunately they're a shi*ty company.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Johnnywhite

Weyburn, Saskatchewan for the win! Go guys.

Johnnywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
reckoning

Quote:
And Black Friday itself should be an entire separate thread in my estimation. It's an abomination and represents consumerism at its level worst.
When that poor employee got trampled to death at that Wal-Mart 4 years ago on Black Friday (with customers stepping over his dying body to get at the "great sales"), I thought the media attention from that might help bring about enough public outrage to put a stop to that garbage. Instead, it just seems to have gotten worse and drawn more people to the stores to see what the deals are that would cause people to do that. It's sickening, and the top guns at Wal-Mart just get richer and richer from it. But not enough to spend money on ample security or protection for their employees.

Of all the possible ways to die, being trampled and suffocated by a herd of fat women in sweatpants would be one of the worst.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
That would be nice. Unfortunately they're a shi*ty company.
What does this even mean? You've really made some mouth-breather statements in this thread, that's for sure.

The Walmart leadership are jerks, but they're jerks who have profited wildly and built the largest retailer in the world. If there is money to be made by hiring, they will hire. It's not like every Walmart store has dozens of people wandering around doing nothing. They hire enough people to function and present shoppers with a not-completely-horrific experience. If they just lay off loads of employees, the shelves won't be stocked, customers won't be assisted, checkout lines will become long, and people will stop shopping at Walmart because it's not worth the hassle. The idea that they'll just dump craploads of employees to keep payroll constant is utter nonsense.