HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: ...Reticulating Splines...

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
I haven't been able to really get into a GTA game since Vice City...but 5 definitely has me intrigued.

If only because the ability to drive around my neighborhood is way too ****ing cool.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
March 5 is setting up to be possibly the greatest release date of video games ever for me, outside of maybe the glory that was 9.9.99.

MLB 13: The Show
South Park: The Stick of Truth
SimCity

And I'm expecting Franchise Hockey Manager will be around that time frame too. Throw in the first StarCraft II expansion and Bioshock Infinite later in the month and I may not see daylight in March.
that is an awesome month.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Tonight's BCS game is a great example of why Football Factories will never lose to teams that have to recruit student-athletes, and why a playoff is necessary.

Ultimately they need to make a new Division called ANFL (ALmost NFL). It would work like European soccer where teams can move into and out of a division based on their play the prior years.

I nominate

Alabama
Florida
LSU
Texas
Ohio State

as permanent "football factory" status, with optional invites from year to year for

Florida State
Georgia
Auburn
USC (once their thug suspensions are done)
Oregon

What do you guys think? I think most years they're a different class of athlete and in more ways than one.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
March 5 is setting up to be possibly the greatest release date of video games ever for me, outside of maybe the glory that was 9.9.99.

MLB 13: The Show
South Park: The Stick of Truth
SimCity

And I'm expecting Franchise Hockey Manager will be around that time frame too. Throw in the first StarCraft II expansion and Bioshock Infinite later in the month and I may not see daylight in March.
Is FHM similar to the much-loved (and much-missed) EHM?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Tonight's BCS game is a great example of why Football Factories will never lose to teams that have to recruit student-athletes, and why a playoff is necessary.

Ultimately they need to make a new Division called ANFL (ALmost NFL). It would work like European soccer where teams can move into and out of a division based on their play the prior years.

I nominate

Alabama
Florida
LSU
Texas
Ohio State

as permanent "football factory" status, with optional invites from year to year for

Florida State
Georgia
Auburn
USC (once their thug suspensions are done)
Oregon

What do you guys think? I think most years they're a different class of athlete and in more ways than one.
Way too narrow. I do think a new division will come out of this eventually, though, and Division 1 schools will be split 3 ways.

D1-A - Consisting of the five major conferences (SEC, ACC, Pac-12, Big XII, & B1G)
D1-AA - Consisting of the remaining current FBS conferences plus the top schools from the FCS (not wholesale conference movement, but new conferences will arise)
D1-AAA - The remaining FCS schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Is FHM similar to the much-loved (and much-missed) EHM?
Check out the message board. It's being developed by the fine folks at OOTP Developments, which puts it in extremely good hands, since the games are going to be very similar. OOTP has a very legitimate claim of being the best sports sim out there. The freedom that the OOTP engine allows is what has me salivating the most, since just about everything is completely modifiable, unlike NHL EHM. Expansion drafts, rule changes (how much of this there will be isn't known yet), tweakable dynamics, full control over every league in the game, etc.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

No way the Big Ten should be a part of a "Almost NFL Conference" other than OSU. We're just not that competitive anymore. Simple as that. On random years you'll have Michigan or Iowa or PSU or Wisconsin have a great season and maybe get to a Big 4 Bowl Game but they're not the same class of athlete overall that these other schools (especially the SEC) are recruiting. Different ballgame down there. Has been for years. FSU and Miami sorta fell off the map for a while there, but they'll probably be back too.

In any case 4 team playoff starts next season right? Imagine how fun it would've been to watch Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and OSU or whoever fight it out. Bowl games are actually a really stupid concept when you get down to it (except when there's only 1 bowl game like in the NFL). But it makes money and that's really what these schools are about. Not educational excellence or even character building through athletics. It's all about the Benjamins and bragging rights. Might as well do it right and make it a playoff like the NFL.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

See...you think I'm labeling that as an 'amost NFL league'...I'm not. I'm just separating the BCS conferences from the mid-majors. The ACC is worse than the Big Ten anyway.

Having an entire league of about 6 teams would be, pardon my French, bleeping stupid and would never happen. I think the three-tiered system is as inevitable as the D1 split in the late 70s was.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:29 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Way back when the red pandas made their appearance during last year's free agency frenzy, there was a lot of talk of fantasy novels in here ... I thought some people might be interested to know the final book in The Wheel of Time series was released today.

I know a lot of people gave up on the series around midway through, around when Robert Jordan's world reached its widest expansion before the story started to resolve itself and the series began picking up speed ... But Brandon Sanderson has done a great job these past two books and the fact that the series actually has a resolution three books after Jordan's death is something worth celebrating.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Wait, there's another Sim City coming out?

Old
01-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Shady Machine

Ugh that Michelle Crechiolo girl drives me nuts. "Like, do you feel like you're kinda like...". Is that really the best the Pen's organization can do?

Old
01-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
Way back when the red pandas made their appearance during last year's free agency frenzy, there was a lot of talk of fantasy novels in here ... I thought some people might be interested to know the final book in The Wheel of Time series was released today.

I know a lot of people gave up on the series around midway through, around when Robert Jordan's world reached its widest expansion before the story started to resolve itself and the series began picking up speed ... But Brandon Sanderson has done a great job these past two books and the fact that the series actually has a resolution three books after Jordan's death is something worth celebrating.
so as someone who has never started the series, would you recommend?

Old
01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Made a nice $500 this afternoon.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Have you had a chance to ice it down yet?

Old
01-09-2013, 10:13 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Call me when the Grand Theft Auto 5 release date is announced. As surely that day will be ions better than March 5th.
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/article...ate-leaked.htm

Quote:
The GTA 5 release date is fast approaching as rumors for when the new "Grand Theft Auto' game will launch continue to surface. The latest comes from Amazon, which emailed its customers that their pre-orders would arrive on March 27.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Best release month ever.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:53 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Have you had a chance to ice it down yet?

Nah. All I did was sell a graded Crosby Young Guns rookie card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Ehh. As wonderful as that would be, until Rockstar give an official date, then that's all just speculation IMO.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Shady Machine

So my boss just told me I'm laid off next August. My company is outsourcing many accounting/finance jobs to India and our department was part of the outsourcing. It's frustrating because my boss is pissed about it, his boss is pissed, but the CFO and his junkies made the decisions. I've gotten great performance reviews and my boss loves me, but it's out of his hands.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Maybe you shouldn't have stolen all that toilet paper from the paper storage, Shady.
Living up to your nickname eh. Im on to you.

Jokes asides, that's absolute crap. That's just the numbers speaking, which is absolutley awful. Im real sorry for that. On a bright side, you'll get great resumes from this job (by the sound of it) and hopefully find a new job asap.
Best of luck to you!

Old
01-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Shady Machine

Thank you kind sir. Yeah I'm not overly worried other than the economy. I was there 4 years and got a lot of finance experience. A lot of companies still aren't hiring and analyst jobs can be done anywhere so I'm concerned about continued outsourcing in the industry. It's more the principal of the situation that bothers me. The upside is I have 8 months to look for a new job so I can be a bit more selective.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
So my boss just told me I'm laid off next August. My company is outsourcing many accounting/finance jobs to India and our department was part of the outsourcing. It's frustrating because my boss is pissed about it, his boss is pissed, but the CFO and his junkies made the decisions. I've gotten great performance reviews and my boss loves me, but it's out of his hands.
ya getting laid off is the worst. I also had really good reviews (my students had the 2nd best test scores in the city) before I got laid off but same thing, completely out of the bosses hands. Ugh. Best of luck to you.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
That's terrible news, and best of luck to you. I have been seeking another federal job for quite some time, but I always stop and think...with federal jobs, these types of layoffs swing with new administrations. Do I really want to subject myself to that every 4 years?

Hopefully you have garnered some good references where you're at (from what you're saying, you do). Are you going to stay in Cleveland or try to move back to Pittsburgh?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:30 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I'm also facing being laid off thanks to an expiring contract but my company recently offered to let me switch to a different project that'll extend my employment by six months or so. The catch is I have to move to Arizona.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Check out the message board. It's being developed by the fine folks at OOTP Developments, which puts it in extremely good hands, since the games are going to be very similar. OOTP has a very legitimate claim of being the best sports sim out there. The freedom that the OOTP engine allows is what has me salivating the most, since just about everything is completely modifiable, unlike NHL EHM. Expansion drafts, rule changes (how much of this there will be isn't known yet), tweakable dynamics, full control over every league in the game, etc.
That sounds wicked. I'll definitely look into that, thanks for the link.

As it is every year, I'll need something hockey-related to do in the summer.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
That's terrible news, and best of luck to you. I have been seeking another federal job for quite some time, but I always stop and think...with federal jobs, these types of layoffs swing with new administrations. Do I really want to subject myself to that every 4 years?

Hopefully you have garnered some good references where you're at (from what you're saying, you do). Are you going to stay in Cleveland or try to move back to Pittsburgh?
Thanks for the kind words. I've thought about different possibilities but, fortunately, my wife has a job here and we are likely to stay. However, at the end of the day, I'm willing to go where the job market is at. So all options are up in the air at this point.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Random question....

If you order something online but make a small typo in both your billing and shipping address, will you still get it if all the rest of your information is correct like your phone number, postal code, apartment number, etc.???

Closed Thread